Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2013, 12:36   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Which Bike? Ninja 650 vs Harley Superlow vs Duke 390 vs Bullet 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
That may have been true about the older Bulls, but these days, the moment even a puncherwalla on the highway sees that's it's a Bullet, he starts getting reluctant to touch the bike. Speaking from personal experience.

But yeah, compared to the other bikes on the list, the chances of being able to fix a Bull outside a major city are certainly much better.
The puncture wallas have a legitimate point. It is ridiculous how convoluted it is to get the rear wheel out on the new Bullets with the chain on the wrong side and the bazooka silencer covering the axle which also goes in from the wrong side now as a consequence.
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2013, 12:43   #32

Dear dkaile
None of the bikes can be compared as all are beautiful in their own sense, which has been rightly concurred by you and many.

Since the past few years You have been riding a Karizma & managed to cloak just about 5000 kms, considering this & your present age you need some thing more relaxed, comfortable and a pleasure to RIDE.

I have seen a few super lows in Meerut but considering the fact the it bottoms out on every hump, every rider gives a second thought to buy it in India. Nevertheless the "V" twin and HOG pride has a lot of following.

Over the years RE has considerably improved in QC, nevertheless its not a niggle free bike. With its own clan and the characteristic thump - the 500 classic is a delight to ride for a budget rider.

Duke 390 is an excellent machine with a power to weight ratio of 300 ps/tonne, of-course for a solo rider and kind of a daily commuter. I remember you had gone to the unveiling in Meerut - which must have been the spark to this explosion.

Coming to Ninja 650, it has the quality, it has the power and it has the appeal provided you are not fed up with the similar faired looks of karizma.

The problem in India we can't get Test rides because of excessive demand and short supply. So cant even say please test ride all the machines to personally judge them.

Around 10 yrs back I had started with a pulsar 150, rode it for 3 yrs and then stepped up to a Thunderbird, abused it to for another 5 whole years and finally elevated to Honda VFR1200. Lets catch up for a ride Sir, In case you end up with a Ninja650, I too am located in Meerut.

Cheers, happy Revving.
Rahul Munjal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2013, 12:47   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
to get the rear wheel out on the new Bullets
In comparison to the old ones i would say highly ridiculous. And the original design for the bulls was to make it as easily and quickly repairable.

Evident with the minimal steps required to change oil, work on brakes, fixing required cables, chain, tyres and even kicker spring etc.
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2013, 13:30   #34
Senior - BHPian

Head is saying the Ninja but the heart is still singing the Harley tune... Also the black face on the 2013 650 is a slight turnoff.
Old 31st July 2013, 13:45   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Head is saying the Ninja but the heart is still singing the Harley tune... Also the black face on the 2013 650 is a slight turnoff.
Now that you have narrowed it down to head vs. heart, take a spin on both bikes. That might help you in deciding which bike is the one for you

I too despise the pulsar'ish two tone color scheme on the headlight cowl.
n_aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2013, 13:57   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Now that you have narrowed it down to head vs. heart, take a spin on both bikes. That might help you in deciding which bike is the one for you

I too despise the pulsar'ish two tone color scheme on the headlight cowl.
Two points in favor of the new color scheme of the 2013:
1. In motion, usually ignored by others as it almost resembles the yamaha fazer. (This is a good thing, where do you hide a tree? in a forest of course!)
2. Less bodywork to repaint if you want a black paint scheme.

Also, the frame and swing arm are also black in the 2013, different from steel gray in the 2012.

Dkaile, I have a feeling you will ride the Harley and fall in love with it. I am amazed at what a few functional mods can do to make a stock harley pleasant to ride. Progressive suspension is mandatory. And you will not find a 650 for a test ride, unless it is owned by a friend. I wish you luck in your quest!

Sriku
sriku is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st July 2013, 16:08   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
I would like to introduce Amit to some 40+ friends of mine.
Doc you missed my 1st line in the post where I asked the person what type of driver he is? And if he is a guy who drives fast then I already suggested him the Ninja .

Not all 45+ guys are the same. If you say some guys drive fast, I did say some guys drive slow!
amit_purohit20 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2013, 16:14   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Go ahead enjoy the HD. After all its an iconic bike that one must buy in their life time and experience it. Remember it like getting into a different lifestyle and not just a motorcycle. If you get the Stock Nightster front fork & Rear Suspension that will be good to take care of our pathetic Indian Roads.

But yes the bike is prone to a few niggles and vibes will be omnipresent. Does have a very good tank capacity in stock which should see you doing some long rides.

Pop in those Screaming Eagles Slipons and you will set your neighborhood on fire. If you want even louder ones go in for Vance & Hines. They are good enough to shatter the glass panes of your neighbors.

Few Tattoos and that should be it
ku69rd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2013, 16:30   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Few Tattoos and that should be it
You forgot the most important accessory on the pillion seat, without which no Harley is complete.

What Bike? Ninja650 vs HD Superlow vs Duke390 vs Bullet500. Edit: HD Superlow it is !-b_id_356553_india_bike_week.jpg

Let me add to this or the post will get consigned to the one-liner of no value thrash heap.

The point I do not understand about Harley is that they have been India for enough time to appreciate what Indian roads are and what the bike needs to make it India ready.

Its not like the Harleys are cheap and the company is working on wafer thin margins.

Yes all kinds of things can be added to make the factory-fresh Harley India ready.

But each one of these things cost mega $$$$.

A simple crash guard costs 18K man. Please tell me its not made of adimantium or something (yeah my son and I just caught the late night show of Wolverine ).

Progressive rear shocks cost upwards of 60K. Seriously?!!!!

Why can't they have the Harley India ready fom the factory itself?

Last edited by ebonho : 31st July 2013 at 16:35.
ebonho is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 31st July 2013, 16:38   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Why can't they have the Harley India ready fom the factory itself?
Doc,
This was the same question that i posed when i was doing my rounds before freezing on the FZ01.

I still remember the response, which is as below

"Sir, Harley's are meant to be customized, Its about a lifestyle statement. We are selling the American Product where we believe 800 CC is sufficient for one up riding. Bigger the better. We do not put pillion seat unless it is warranted.

If we raise the GC, the stance of the bike is lost and we would leave it at user's discretion to mod it."

Remember HD have a very good marketing program, they know extraction of money should not stop once you buy the bike, it should be an evergoing/ongoing process.

Would not recommed the progressive springs as they are even more harder for the super low, instead installing the stock nightster's fork & rear suspension should be good enough. It will increase the clearance to 130 mm which is more than sufficient for you regular roads unless the rider wants to hit the pot-holes in full speed.

Last edited by ku69rd : 31st July 2013 at 16:39.
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2013, 16:55   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Would not recommed the progressive springs as they are even more harder for the super low, instead installing the stock nightster's fork & rear suspension should be good enough. It will increase the clearance to 130 mm which is more than sufficient for you regular roads unless the rider wants to hit the pot-holes in full speed.
Good inputs buddy.

However, if the shocks are 60K+, I tremble and shudder to think what an entire fork replacement would cost.

Would probably be cheaper to buy a 390 instead to go over the potholes, and have the Harley transported ahead.
ebonho is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2013, 17:19   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Good inputs buddy.

However, if the shocks are 60K+, I tremble and shudder to think what an entire fork replacement would cost.

Would probably be cheaper to buy a 390 instead to go over the potholes, and have the Harley transported ahead.
Thank bro,

The progressive is @ 60K for the rear only, but the complete fork assembly & rear Shocks of nightster shocks should be around 100K if my memory is correct. Also there is no dearth of quality used examples as many people blindly upgrade them without looking into the finer details.

But considering the game with HD, 100K is manageable

Yes 390 does make a lot of sense/practical to be very honest when you compare the Super Low as just another bike.
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2013, 18:17   #43
Senior - BHPian

The choice of bike really depends on the Riding style of the person.

I just cant ride cruisers (or RE for that matter), I like to ride a sporty bike (riding position leaning forward) irrespective of the power. Since you have a Karizma, I assume you would like the lean forward position better.

I know friends who live and die by the RE (I dont understand why), but if you the thump, go for the RE. Customization options are available in plenty for the RE.

WRT Ninja 650, have never driven one, but the Looks (in green) are to die for. Plus comes from a really good manufacturer. You can also try baby Ninja, it is a definite upgrade from the karizma, plus easy on wallet and has enough power for Indian roads. 650 will be used sparingly in India.

Slightly OT: Have you considered buying used ones, since your running is really low.
Old 31st July 2013, 19:20   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Transporting Harley is so funny. Have see these "Kutty yaanai" transporting bikes that stopped somewhere in the middle. I hope the new road side maintenance helps these riders.

I have owned a soft tail in US as well as a valkyrie in US. Nothing beats the attention of riding these bikes there.

There is a very good suggestion from 2000rpm on used 650's which are plenty as ones who are riding 650 want to get a R1

Here is an alternate idea. Get the 390 and save the money. The 390 prices will go up after few months. You enjoy whatever time you get with the 390. YOu may not lose much if you dont like and sell it later.

In the mean time the remaining 3-4 L will give you your money you lose selling the 390 via interest and you can change to whatever bike you want.

The introductory price will definitely increase and the resale will be not a bad thing for this 390.
Old 31st July 2013, 20:08   #45
Senior - BHPian

I did some homework today and I was told the cost to raise the suspension by Capital Harley, Delhi by attaching original HD shocks is around 26K and not the prohibitive figures being quoted above. Also the Progressive 12.5-13" (from the stock 11") shocks cost around 250$ for a pair and not 60K.

Just for people following the thread.
dkaile is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks