Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2013, 19:06   #91
Senior - BHPian

Re: Which Bike? Ninja 650 vs Harley Superlow vs Duke 390 vs Bullet 500

Quote:
She pulls away cleanly from low revs in any gear
Can completely vouch for this statement. Has enough punch at any gears to keep you satisfied for pulling.

Only issue with the 650 withing B2B Traffic is the heat. Its definitely hot but you cannot have everything in one package.

And if you are looking at used bikes, used 650's are one of the most highly available bikes in the market and some with minimal used were sold for a really good price.

Compared to Harley's the 650 are way more reliable and will out live you for the kind of riding we do. We hardly have space to push the bike to its limits to test its failure
Old 11th August 2013, 14:20   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Is that comment coming from owning the latest EFI bullet?

I have one from last 1.5 years and havent faced a single niggle that is worth creating a brohuaha about
Yes, the comment is a direct interpretation of the bike I owned several years ago: RE Electra.

Till 2006 I had the RE Electra, which I kept for merely 3 years. The sole reason for letting it go were the numerous niggles that tended to creep on it every now and then. I eventually swapped it with an Avenger (which BTW, is another bogus bike methink )

I feel both these bikes are basically low quality products. RE for the poor quality standards and the Bajaj for the underwhelming experience. Just for the record, the Avenger has also stopped in the middle of the road a couple of times too. I think things may have changed a little since then but I personally will not like to take the risk again.

Frustrated with substandard stuff, I stopped riding bikes and have been riding cars exclusively for a few years now. Very soon, when I go to the market, I will look for only high quality, great performing bikes at affordable prices. The only one that seems to fit the bill right now is the KTM Duke 390. Let's see..

Last edited by Abhi_Automobile : 11th August 2013 at 14:27.
Old 12th August 2013, 10:56   #93
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
Yes, the comment is a direct interpretation of the bike I owned several years ago: RE Electra.
Quite possible but, RE quality has improved tons over the period especially with EFI engines and latest EFI bikes are almost niggle free ( not literally but, nothing that warrants too much worry either)
Old 12th August 2013, 11:02   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quite possible but, RE quality has improved tons over the period especially with EFI engines and latest EFI bikes are almost niggle free ( not literally but, nothing that warrants too much worry either
QC was never the forte of RE IMHO. RE is not a honda or a Kawasaki. Can the quality be better, definitely yes.

The quality and QC has improved from earlier generations. The quality of electrical components, fittings and wiring are something way below required standard. These things can be definitely improved.
Old 12th August 2013, 13:16   #95
Senior - BHPian

Nearly finalised on the Harley Superlow. Came to know that there is a Meerut chapter of HOG in which we have 10 Harleys in Meerut!! out of which there are 3 Superlows and even a Fat Boy. Gosh, never expected or saw so many Harleys in Meerut. They go out every Sunday on a 20~30km ride. Spoke to one of them today (a 48 owner) and though he is advising me to go for a Street Bob or a 48, I just don't have the 'mental' budget for it right now. Sticking to a new Superlow for now in Black @6.34L. He advised me to get only the leg guard in the beginning and not to go in for Screaming Eagles immediately although he has installed them. He say Vans & Diesels have better exhausts and to explore them and then go for them gradually. He also advised to get Diesel Mowie Hemet instead of a Harley one.

He is giving me a test ride today evening of his 48, so fingers crossed.
Old 12th August 2013, 14:07   #96
Senior - BHPian

@dkaile,

The super low and 48 are quite different machines. In fact i feel both have quite different characteristics.

of the two i like the 48 for it looks like a small fat boy with minor mods and secondly the bike looks raw and macho and rough.

We would like to brain wash you and say go, get your mental block out and get the street bob.

The biggest engine at the smallest price
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2013, 14:45   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
He say Vans & Diesels have better exhausts and to explore them and then go for them gradually. He also advised to get Diesel Mowie Hemet instead of a Harley one.
Sir,
With all due respects to your friend, Vance & Hines are very loud pipes. You will develop ear soreness after a due amount of time. My 2 cents for the V&H.
Somehow felt that they lose their characteristic potato sound if you go in for them.

48 would suggest you to avoid it because of the low Ground Clearance. Its a proper "all pomp" bike if you plan to use it within city. The suspension hardly has any travel in it and it will lead to bone jarring ride on the highways.

Helmets & accessories would be your choice as I do not have sufficient time with them.
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2013, 19:13   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Nearly finalised on the Harley Superlow. Came to know that there is a Meerut chapter of HOG in which we have 10 Harleys in Meerut!! out of which there are 3 Superlows and even a Fat Boy. Gosh, never expected or saw so many Harleys in Meerut. They go out every Sunday on a 20~30km ride. Spoke to one of them today (a 48 owner) and though he is advising me to go for a Street Bob or a 48, I just don't have the 'mental' budget for it right now. Sticking to a new Superlow for now in Black @6.34L. He advised me to get only the leg guard in the beginning and not to go in for Screaming Eagles immediately although he has installed them. He say Vans & Diesels have better exhausts and to explore them and then go for them gradually. He also advised to get Diesel Mowie Hemet instead of a Harley one.

He is giving me a test ride today evening of his 48, so fingers crossed.
You will love the looks of the 48, its riding position and pure beauty. May not like the ride quality though, but for <100kms should be fine.
Would urge you to get a DOT/SNELL certified Full Face helmet. I don't think the half-face helmets are going to be very useful in a crash.

Looks like you've made up your mind, and picked the Harley! Congratulations, now get the bike, get protective riding gear and enjoy!
sriku is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2013, 08:30   #99
Senior - BHPian

So took a small test ride of this Harley 48 yesterday done only about 500kms. There was heat for sure under the thighs but was just a matter of getting used to. The acceleration of the 1200cc was phenomenal. The thicker front tyres didn't aid handling. Suspension was very taut. Fuel tank was puny. Clearance and weight was very similar to the Superlow which looks like a more practical bike to me. The Meerut HOGs were going halfway to Agra on the Yamuna Expressway for their Independence Ride.

What Bike? Ninja650 vs HD Superlow vs Duke390 vs Bullet500. Edit: HD Superlow it is !-harley-48_1.jpg

What Bike? Ninja650 vs HD Superlow vs Duke390 vs Bullet500. Edit: HD Superlow it is !-harley-48_2.jpg

Last edited by dkaile : 13th August 2013 at 08:31.
Old 13th August 2013, 10:34   #100
Senior - BHPian

That's a nice looking bike. I like it more than the red one you posted earlier.
Old 13th August 2013, 11:00   #101
Senior - BHPian

A great looking bike and would look even more awesome on a matte black.

The minimal fuss and the minimal instrument makes this my favorite. But streetbob takes the cake away for me as a VFM from Harley at the current price points.
Old 13th August 2013, 12:21   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
He also advised to get Diesel Mowie Hemet instead of a Harley one.
Thats a good bike . Get whatever bike you want , but however good it looks ,please dont buy a half faced helmet .Get a full faced helmet , you have only one head .Ditch what others think .
black12rr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2013, 13:40   #103
BHPian

The Harley's are very expensive to maintain. Factor it in before you decide. How much is the Zero dep insurance coming to for the Super Low? I am a Ninja 650 owner !
Old 13th August 2013, 16:38   #104
Senior - BHPian

So it seems the orange monster is out of the equation. Sad; as I am quite sure that the 390 is a very potent machine (Ebonho - out with the review now sir jee. Folks at XBHP have already posted their views).

There are a lot of comments here on how one would look like on a bike. I guess it makes sense. But I do not feel that this is (or should be) the end of story. You want to be a biker by choice; not out of compulsion and hence it is a lifestyle choice. To fully appreciate this new addition to your scheme of things; you may need to alter your lifestyle as well.

So a 100 KG 6 footer may not look so great on a sport bike / sport tourer type machine. How about a 75 - 80 KG 6 footer? Not too bad I would assume.

I am 5'11; was at 86 kgs a little over a month ago. Started riding; read some very interesting books on how to ride properly (thank you Mr. Ienatsch & Mr. Hough) and I was introducred to a whole new world. "Tashan" is no longer a factor when it comes to motorcycling. I am all about the twisties now (that too on a bullet; LOL) and want to further improve my skill around the bends. Godddd it feels amazing to on an "S" bend with full confidence (as opposed to going through it in the straightest possible line).

A rider's physical state will have a huge impact on how well (s)he can extract the best possible performance out of his / her machine. I have lost close to 5 kgs (am still not close to my fighting / target weight of 75 - 77) and I already feel so light. Having quit smoking has also helped immensely (a year plus and still going strong). I continue to run 4.5 - 4.7 kms daily and have improved my pace within month from 8 kmph to 9.1 kmph. I feel GREAT!!!!

So after the long rant; my suggestion? Get riding boss; forget tashan. Its the most fun you'll have with your clothes on. A Harley may give you a feel good factor for a few months tops; but you will never be able to fall in love with a bendy road. Get something more sporty. I would totally suggest the 390 (going by the reviews only) or else the Ninja 650. Have seen some big boned fellas on it and they definitely do not look out of place (if thats an important aspect for you).

To sum up; make a lifestyle change. Anyone with cash can own a product. Challenge yourself! You will never grow tired of developing a skill that cannot be bought.

I will be in the market for a performance oriented machine within a year and am taking this time to develop my skills. I will be borrowing my cousin's Yamaha R15 for some time to get more accustomed to a sportier machine. The Duke 390 is very high on my radar; and by the time I am ready to make the investment the Triumphs' litmus test would also be out. Interesting times ahead for sure.

Some more free advice for you:
  • Start shortlisting good riding gear as well if not already done
  • Read up "Sport riding techniques" & "Proficient motorcycling" by David Hough
  • Hit the twisties . It is a 1000 times more satisfying than wringing the throttle. Dont know why but I find endless discussions on "my bike's top speed" hilarious
  • Search for "twist of the wrist" on Youtube (by Keith code). Some cheesy bits aside; its a treasure trove of information on proper riding
  • This thread could have used a poll (given the limited set of contendors)
Take care and do let us know which way you finally swing.
Urban_Nomad is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th August 2013, 16:57   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
[*]Hit the twisties . It is a 1000 times more satisfying than wringing the throttle. Dont know why but I find endless discussions on "my bike's top speed" hilarious
Agree on the twisties. And that top speed is simply a number. But its an important number all the same. Bikers are red blooded males (mostly). They love measuring contests. How fast you can go may not be as important as how you get there, but its not unimportant either. Otherwise the whole world would be riding Splendors on the ghats, beaming their heads off.
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks