Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 31st December 2013, 14:00   #1
BHPian

Royal Enfield 350 Electra: Restoration & Upgrades

Friends,
This thread is about the restoration of my colleague's 2008 model Electra 5 speed. He is the second owner since 8 months. It was already driven for 13500 kms while he took it over. He is a sedate driver and hadn't abused any of his drives be it his RX100 / Aviator / Manza. After few weeks of driving, he experienced inconsistent idling and starting issues. Cleaning the carb and changing spark plug did not solve the problem.
Consulting a few Bullet doctors we dared to open the engine head and see what's inside. This is where this thread should actually start. We saw a nice good scratch on the piston & cylinder indicating a seizure somewhere in the past, by the previous owner. Apart from the valve replacement & lapping, the rest was a DIY job in his parking. Gathering time after office hours we were finally able to fire the engine after a week of manhandling the engine parts. New filter, oil & gaskets went in.

Time to run-in the engine. He had been out of station and I was delighted to use the bullet for the next 3 months. I had carefully run-in the engine keeping the speed less than 60kmph and even changed oil & filter after 1500 kms. After around 2000 kms I had to return the bike back to him upon his arrival. A couple of weeks later he had taken it for a highway drive along with friends who were on FZ, Avenger & Duke390. In a rush of adrenalin to catch up the Duke, he had revved it hard and kept pace with 390 till the engine suddenly lost power and coughed. So you bulleteers know what had happened. The engine had seized. Though he held the clutch immediately and the engine was still idling it generated a weird noise while accelerating on load. Now he starts worrying about his bull again.

This time the bullet was taken to a proper doctor who worked on bulls since his childhood. As he found the connecting rod play a little excessive he suggested an engine rebuild. Apart from the engine rebuild he got the itch to convert it to classic 350. So, below is the list of upgrades he has in his mind and has purchased some parts for the same.
1) Fuel sender in the tank + Fuel gauge in place of Ammeter
2) Tachometer in place of the ign switch
3) Twinspark in place of de-compressor + Machismo type De-comp if there is a need. His bike has a self start
4) Mudguards & seats of classic 350
5) Illuminated switch console of P-220 + BCU + Indicator cutoff with sensor + wiring
6) Complete painting + chrome + Aluminium buffing
7) BS29 CV carburetor
8) Oval resonator Classic style

The 2 day weekend gave us the time to sand blast and deposit the chassis frame for powder coating.
Guys, please feel free to post your comments, feedbacks and above all share your experiences if you had already tried out any of the above listed experiments.
Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Royal Enfield 350 Electra: Restoration & Upgrades-img_20131223_185809.jpg  

Royal Enfield 350 Electra: Restoration & Upgrades-img_20131223_185817.jpg  

Royal Enfield 350 Electra: Restoration & Upgrades-img_20131223_211620.jpg  

Royal Enfield 350 Electra: Restoration & Upgrades-img_20140104_142156.jpg  

Royal Enfield 350 Electra: Restoration & Upgrades-img_20140104_142238.jpg  

Royal Enfield 350 Electra: Restoration & Upgrades-img_20140104_142301.jpg  

Royal Enfield 350 Electra: Restoration & Upgrades-img_20140104_170622.jpg  

Royal Enfield 350 Electra: Restoration & Upgrades-img_20140104_173119.jpg  

Last edited by ilangop : 6th January 2014 at 10:56.
ilangop is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th January 2014, 17:03   #2
BHPian

re: Royal Enfield 350 Electra: Restoration & Upgrades

A small update.
The chassis frame is back after powder coating, and handed over to the mechanic for building the vehicle. Also seen this the picture are the split seats of classic 350 & the Engine case after buffing.
Attached Thumbnails
Royal Enfield 350 Electra: Restoration & Upgrades-img20140106wa0003.jpg  

Royal Enfield 350 Electra: Restoration & Upgrades-img20140106wa0004.jpg  

Royal Enfield 350 Electra: Restoration & Upgrades-img20140106wa0005.jpg  

ilangop is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th January 2014, 16:23   #3
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line section. Thanks for sharing!
Rehaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2014, 17:14   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilangop View Post
Friends,
This thread is about the restoration of my colleague's 2008 model Electra 5 speed. He is the second owner since 8 months. It was already driven for 13500 kms while he took it over. After few weeks of driving, he experienced inconsistent idling and starting issues. Cleaning the carb and changing spark plug did not solve the problem.
Guys, please feel free to post your comments, feedbacks and above all share your experiences if you had already tried out any of the above listed experiments.
Thank you.
Good and useful list of mods you have planned.

Although they are all do-able, you will need to make sure it is done well so they last and don't give you trouble later on.
Like you already experienced, on a stock, low mileage run bike, it gave you a seizure already. So , quality and durability is a hit or miss in Enfields case.

Also, it seems the first mechanics work was not good which was why there was play in the connecting rod. So make sure the work is done at a reputed guy.
Do keep us updated.
I have a 98k kms run Electra , so interested in this thread.

Edit-also curious how your going to manage the rpm meter. Is it a separate add on meter? or a small one that will fit in the ignition key space?

Last edited by tharian : 9th January 2014 at 17:42.
Old 10th January 2014, 09:01   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Good and useful list of mods you have planned.

Although they are all do-able, you will need to make sure it is done well so they last and don't give you trouble later on.
Like you already experienced, on a stock, low mileage run bike, it gave you a seizure already. So , quality and durability is a hit or miss in Enfields case.

Also, it seems the first mechanics work was not good which was why there was play in the connecting rod. So make sure the work is done at a reputed guy.
Do keep us updated.
I have a 98k kms run Electra , so interested in this thread.

Edit-also curious how your going to manage the rpm meter. Is it a separate add on meter? or a small one that will fit in the ignition key space?
Hi Tharian, Though it could be partially due to Enfield's quality issues it has to be admitted that this is not a bike to race with a KTM as mentioned in my first post. Anyways this is a lesson, not to be repeated again.
The RPM meter will be a small 2" meter which can be located in place of the ignition key switch, as we decided not to install gauges which protrude from the handlebar or elsewhere.

Here with I am attaching some pictures of adapting a Bajaj Pulsar Fuel meter into bullet's ammeter. The P150 meter dial was cut in the periphery and filed a little to take the size of ammeter dial. The housing it yet to be finished, before which I need to know if painting the dial white would be better because the speedometer has got a white dial.
Attached Thumbnails
Royal Enfield 350 Electra: Restoration & Upgrades-img_20140109_221737.jpg  

Royal Enfield 350 Electra: Restoration & Upgrades-img_20140109_214753.jpg  

Royal Enfield 350 Electra: Restoration & Upgrades-img_20140109_222957.jpg  

ilangop is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th January 2014, 10:16   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Tharian, Though it could be partially due to Enfield's quality issues it has to be admitted that this is not a bike to race with a KTM as mentioned in my first post. Anyways this is a lesson, not to be repeated again.
The RPM meter will be a small 2" meter which can be located in place of the ignition key switch, as we decided not to install gauges which protrude from the handlebar or elsewhere.

Here with I am attaching some pictures of adapting a Bajaj Pulsar Fuel meter into bullet's ammeter. The P150 meter dial was cut in the periphery and filed a little to take the size of ammeter dial. The housing it yet to be finished, before which I need to know if painting the dial white would be better because the speedometer has got a white dial.
I think painting it white is a good idea so there is no mismatch. Is there a rpm meter available in that size and to which part will it be connected to for the readings?
Yes, unless its a UCE 500, there is no point even thinking of keeping up with a 390.

But the 5sp Electra is fast bike comparitively as I get to use one often of the same year as your project. Mine is a 02 and the pick up is quite low compared to the 5sp , probably because of the different gearing.

Last edited by tharian : 10th January 2014 at 10:18.
Old 10th January 2014, 10:52   #7
BHPian

From the pictures I could make out that you are adding the sub-frame, look like that of the CL Desert Storm. Does this require extra welding on the old frame? I thought that it was a direct bolt-on.
Old 10th January 2014, 13:34   #8
BHPian

Re: RE 350 Electra 2008, restoration and upgrades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asif 6959 View Post
From the pictures I could make out that you are adding the sub-frame, look like that of the CL Desert Storm. Does this require extra welding on the old frame? I thought that it was a direct bolt-on.
Yes Asif, you need to weld bosses to bolt the split seat brackets. Bosses were made of rods with 20 mm OD and drilled inside to 8.2 mm to freely allow the M8 bolts. You need 2 pieces 20mm long for the front seat springs, and 1 piece 90 - 95 mm long for the rear seat bracket. In our case the 20mm piece is actually 25mm long which doesn't make a difference through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
I think painting it white is a good idea so there is no mismatch. Is there a rpm meter available in that size and to which part will it be connected to for the readings?
Yes, unless its a UCE 500, there is no point even thinking of keeping up with a 390.

But the 5sp Electra is fast bike comparitively as I get to use one often of the same year as your project. Mine is a 02 and the pick up is quite low compared to the 5sp , probably because of the different gearing.
I am have no clue on painting the dial, have to check some forums and learn how to do it. You can buy a 2" tacho from www.ebay.in http://www.ebay.in/itm/Analog-Tachom...item3a8912f7cf
or www.aliexpress.com. We bought from Aliexpress. It needs some recalibration in the circuit, which I ll explain as and when I take it up. The tachometer has t connected to the -ve of the TCI coil or points.
I was under the impression that the final gear ratios in 4 speed & 5 speed were the same and the top speed has no difference. Experts in the forum have to confirm.
Attached Thumbnails
Royal Enfield 350 Electra: Restoration & Upgrades-img20140106wa0005.jpg  

Last edited by ilangop : 10th January 2014 at 13:36.
ilangop is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2014, 21:48   #9
BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield 350 Electra: Restoration & Upgrades

Amazing work!I can't wait to see how the final bike looks.What tyres are you planning to put up at the rear?

I too slightly modifying my Enfield,I found that with same type of tire rim setup as in the classic,the classics rear mudguard suits it well.If you are planning to stick with the 19 inch 325-350(Dunlops or MRF's),the Electra's rear mudguard might look a bit better.

What colour are you planning to paint it?What type of tail-lamps and indicators?
B O V is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2014, 15:03   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by B O V View Post
Amazing work!I can't wait to see how the final bike looks.What tyres are you planning to put up at the rear?

I too slightly modifying my Enfield,I found that with same type of tire rim setup as in the classic,the classics rear mudguard suits it well.If you are planning to stick with the 19 inch 325-350(Dunlops or MRF's),the Electra's rear mudguard might look a bit better.

What colour are you planning to paint it?What type of tail-lamps and indicators?
The rear half will sport a Classic 350 mudguard with 120/80 - 18" tyres as in the Classic. Just counted and confirmed both the 19" & 18" rims have the same 40 spokes count. So we are happy that the hub doesn't have to be changed. The tail lamp is also of Classic. Please refer to the attached picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Royal Enfield 350 Electra: Restoration & Upgrades-img_20140104_142414.jpg  

ilangop is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2014, 17:00   #11
BHPian

Looks very neat actually.Why add not add a few custom touches here and there?Or are you making it look exactly like a classic?What colour will you be going with?What type of front guards are you going with?

To mine I've fabricated my own rear number plate and mudguard stays.Will post some pics one I reach back home.
Old 20th January 2014, 13:54   #12
BHPian

Wiring harness upgrade

The 2 day weekend gave us some time to crawl a little ahead. Plated and buffed parts have arrived.
Deciphering the Bajaj Pulsar wiring harness and matching it for Bullet was fun.
Yes, this Electra is going to have the illuminated switch console, Indicator auto cut-off sensor, BCU & wiring harness of P220 without damaging its classic looks.
Also the rectifier is being replaced with Bajaj GC1000 rectifier unit for having a Battery charge warning lamp.
Attached are some pictures of the new standard size cylinder & piston, Wiring harness testing in progress, & the plated parts. We were told that in place of the 3rd single ring
a 3 ring arrangement has been the latest update in the market & we went for it.
Guys, has someone fitted an oil pressure switch like in a car? The last picture is of a bullet which has one. It was parked somewhere near a shop and the owner wasn't seen there.
Attached Thumbnails
Royal Enfield 350 Electra: Restoration & Upgrades-img_20140118_105746.jpg  

Royal Enfield 350 Electra: Restoration & Upgrades-img_20140118_105800.jpg  

Royal Enfield 350 Electra: Restoration & Upgrades-img20140120wa0027.jpg  

Royal Enfield 350 Electra: Restoration & Upgrades-img20140120wa0028.jpg  

Royal Enfield 350 Electra: Restoration & Upgrades-img20140120wa0030.jpg  

Royal Enfield 350 Electra: Restoration & Upgrades-img_20140120_075330.jpg  

Royal Enfield 350 Electra: Restoration & Upgrades-img20140120wa0034.jpg  

Old 21st January 2014, 09:41   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by B O V View Post
Looks very neat actually.Why add not add a few custom touches here and there?Or are you making it look exactly like a classic?What colour will you be going with?What type of front guards are you going with?

To mine I've fabricated my own rear number plate and mudguard stays.Will post some pics one I reach back home.
Thanks BOV. Yes, the mudguards of classic will be fitted in the front and rear. Please post some pictures of your bullet.
Old 22nd January 2014, 20:26   #14
BHPian

Quote:
... Yes, the mudguards of classic will be fitted in the front and rear ...
How are you planning to fix the front mudguards? since its mounted on stays unlike the electra. I too ride a '08 & the stock skinny fork sliders just doesn't look right. Btw, that new piston is correct for 08.

Cheers...
Old 23rd January 2014, 06:10   #15
BHPian

[quote=Rennjit;3351330]How are you planning to fix the front mudguards? since its mounted on stays unlike the electra. I too ride a '08 & the stock skinny fork sliders just doesn't look right. Btw, that new piston is correct for 08.QUOTE]
Hi Rennjit, My friend has bought a readymade clamp for fixing Classic mudguard in Electra fork. And Thanks for the enlightment about the piston. We were not aware of this because when the first time we opened the engine, the standard sized piston also had only 3 rings. So we thought it was the way the pistons should be.

Most Viewed