Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2014, 17:48   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: My 2002 Yamaha RXZ - Update: Now Sold!

Loved the red colour and yes, I agree with you that every RXZ that you see on the roads would mostly be in Blue.

Since the engine has been re bored, what size piston are you running now?

Also, where did you source the 2T funnel from?
SnS_12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2014, 18:19   #17
BHPian

congrats and a job well done such love to the 2-stroke. All the best and happy riding
krichared is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2014, 19:29   #18
Team-BHP Support

Vijuetta, polichu!

Terrific restoration. Without the support from Divya chechi, I am sure this wouldn't have been possible. I should know since I am at the receiving end now!

Expecting many more restorations in the future. Way to go!

PS: Shall pay a visit to the Yamaha service center here and inquire if they have any parts available. Apologies for the delay.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2014, 19:32   #19
BHPian

Hats off to you for how the end result shaped up.

Your dedication and attention to detail is really commendable.

I am sure your "zee" would reciprocate your love by giving you years and years of riding pleasure,
AlphaLamb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2014, 19:44   #20
BHPian

Superb restoration!

I do sincerely wish that I could do the same justice while restoring my bikes as well. Currently all three of them are gathering dust (in covers to be precise) due to me being super busy these days.

Probably some day I will

Thanks.
vaasu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2014, 19:44   #21

Wow!! The RXZ looks stunning!! Very neat restoration work done and hats off to you to you to dedicate time and spend (lot of) money for restoring the Zee.

Happy zee-ing!
kaushibeta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2014, 20:43   #22
Senior - BHPian

Awesome persistence and a job well accomplished. Red is definitely better than the blue.

But I have a doubt. IIRC, weren't the original RXZ exhaust plain chrome all around without any shield, slightly conical, tapering towards the engine? I had my heart and eyes set on an RXZ long back but it had horrible alterations after a minor accident. And most of them were abused by college kids. Then I turned to look out for CBZ and still same cases of abuse. Finally I settled for a Splendor which helps me in town-chores for the last 11 years.

EDIT:Maybe I'm not fully correct, but isn't it like this one?

Last edited by thoma : 9th July 2014 at 20:46.
thoma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2014, 21:46   #23
BHPian

This was my dream bike growing up, along with the first version of Hero Honda CBZ. How I wish even now I get my hands on a beauty like this.

If this is OK with you, Can you share how much you originally paid for it and how much was the cost of restoring.

I am trying to estimate how much it may cost to get one for myself
charanreddy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2014, 09:00   #24
BHPian

Wow is one word that comes out seeing the end result. A restoration done perfectly, adhering to the spirit of true restoration to the T. Well done. Congratulations.

Few questions now.
1. Can you please give an estimate of the expenses including the bike purchase?
2. Where in Cochin did you get this done? I have a RX135 4 speed which is reaching its 15th year. Need to get it back to spec before getting the re-registration. A mechanic who understands the spirit of restoration would really help.

All the best with the Yamaha beauties.
basilmabraham is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2014, 09:47   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruiser View Post
Hi Viju
Congrats on your purchase and this tasteful restoration.
Thank you bruiser for your kind words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sai_ace View Post
Speechless!! :O

Just one question - Can I see this bike in person sometime?
cheers!
sai
Thank you sai. I live in HSR Layout. Please feel free to come over anytime. I will send you my contact number by PM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrazy View Post
Only if the previous owner felt 1/10th of what you feel for this beauty, it would have been much easier to restore to its original state.
Thank you for the appreciation carrazy. I got the same comment from a lot of people. But I was happy that I was able to save a Z 5 speed which was almost going into the grave at that time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
I am also speechless! End result is fantabulous! You have great attention to detail and perseverance Viju! You will be keeping this bike forever right?

If you don't mind, can you tell how much you spent on the restoration?
God is definitely in the details sagarpadaki. Hence I put in my sincere efforts to make sure every detail came out right. I guess I have succeeded 90%.

To be honest, I was not looking at cost, time or effort as constraints for this project. I am sure I ended up spending at least 1,50,000/- for the bike + parts + restoration. To some, that may sound stupid, but to me, it is totally worth it.

My bikes will go with me to the grave. So I consider every rupee spent on them as investment, and not expenditure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnS_12 View Post
Since the engine has been re bored, what size piston are you running now?

Also, where did you source the 2T funnel from?
Sns_12, It was running on 0.25mm ART piston. Rebored it to next oversize and put in a new 0.50mm ART piston. Will try and import NOS pistons for 0.75 and 1.00mm as I am not very keen on using after-market piston kits.

As for the funnel, I was lucky to find 2 old stock pieces with my friendly neighbourhood dealer. Paid 50/- each considering he had been holding them for nearly 15 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krichared View Post
congrats and a job well done such love to the 2-stroke. All the best and happy riding
Can't help but love them 2 strokes, krichared. Don't want them to go extinct you see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Vijuetta, polichu!

Terrific restoration. Without the support from Divya chechi, I am sure this wouldn't have been possible. I should know since I am at the receiving end now!

Expecting many more restorations in the future. Way to go!

PS: Shall pay a visit to the Yamaha service center here and inquire if they have any parts available. Apologies for the delay.
Thanks dear Ganesh. Divya chechi was happy to read your comment! Many more restorations in the future - I am not sure. But my Shogun is definitely next in line.

PS: Yes, will be great if you do find something for me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaLamb View Post
I am sure your "zee" would reciprocate your love by giving you years and years of riding pleasure,
Thank you AlphaLamb. I hope so too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaasu View Post
Superb restoration!

I do sincerely wish that I could do the same justice while restoring my bikes as well. Currently all three of them are gathering dust (in covers to be precise) due to me being super busy these days.

Probably some day I will

Thanks.
Dear vaasu, I was busy (and far away) for 7 years while my RD and RX135 rusted away in my home-town which is a coastal area. When I came back, I took them out and gave them new lives. So, you should find time some day and you should give your bikes the TLC that they deserve. I am sure you will!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushibeta View Post
Happy zee-ing!
Thank you kaushibeta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
Awesome persistence and a job well accomplished. Red is definitely better than the blue.

But I have a doubt. IIRC, weren't the original RXZ exhaust plain chrome all around without any shield, slightly conical, tapering towards the engine?
Thank you for the appreciation thoma. The chrome silencer came with RXZ 4 speed (12 bhp, 4 gears, 1997 - 2000). The RXZ 5 speeds (14 bhp, 5 gears, 2001 - 2003) came with this big catalytic converter silencer.

In 2001 and till around Q3 of 2002, the RXZ 5 speed catcon was painted in a dull silver colour. From Q4 2002, they became the regular black colour as it was with the RX135 4 speeds and 5 speeds of that time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charanreddy View Post
I am trying to estimate how much it may cost to get one for myself
Dear charanreddy, like I have mentioned before, I lost track of the expenses collecting parts over 1.5 years and then restoring the bike. But yes, I did touch the 1.5 Lakh mark. You can find Z 5 speeds from 12000/- (you will have to go to J&K for that) and upto 125000/- (down here in KA or KL). Restoration costs are again dependent on how strictly you want to adhere to stock parts as they are hard to come by and atrociously expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by basilmabraham View Post
Wow is one word that comes out seeing the end result. A restoration done perfectly, adhering to the spirit of true restoration to the T. Well done. Congratulations.

Few questions now.
1. Can you please give an estimate of the expenses including the bike purchase?
2. Where in Cochin did you get this done? I have a RX135 4 speed which is reaching its 15th year. Need to get it back to spec before getting the re-registration. A mechanic who understands the spirit of restoration would really help.

All the best with the Yamaha beauties.
Thank you basilmabraham.

Question 1 - already answered above.
Question 2 - have sent you the details via PM.

Thank you all for your kind words of appreciation. It's a good feeling to know that there are so many other petrol heads out there who can appreciate the efforts that I have put into this project.
Viju is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th July 2014, 10:23   #26
Senior - BHPian

I must say she is a beaut . No words to describe,a job well executed kudos.looking at this I am tempted to buy one myself.Always had a soft corner for 2 strokes.Saw one selling a 2004 RXZ for 85k.Din't know they were so expensive.Looks good on the photo.Is it worth paying 85k?
rakesh_r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2014, 10:37   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viju View Post
A look at some of the accessories, finer details and tool kit.
Mr. Viju, I am a proud owner of the exact same motorcycle which has been with me since 12 years now. Your bike reminded of the good old days when I was in college and mine was the only Red Zed in town those days! You have done a great job by restoring theis motorcycle, so much so that it brings tears to my eyes.

Even I have been collecting parts for the past 4-5 years for my Zed but havent found the opportunity to deep dive into a complete rebuild. Rest assured, I will never be able to match your standards of restoration. I am proud of you, Sir and thanks for keeping the legend alive!
Raag Sandhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2014, 10:59   #28
BHPian

We all have a hidden 'tinker bell' in us don't we?

This is truly a mission accomplished! I do feel the amount of joy and enthusiasm that you might have had when you finally clicked those snaps of that restored soul, thanks for giving some of us that feeling. As a bonus, you get to ride that Baby Phoenix (That I would like to call any restored vehicles) and have the pride of being a hero in its life.

I hope your wife is happy after having a ride on the reborn dragon fly, have fun and safe kilometers on it!

Cheers
Mahven is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2014, 11:25   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viju View Post
Thank you basilmabraham.

Question 1 - already answered above.
Question 2 - have sent you the details via PM.
Thanks for the prompt reply and the PM.
Old 10th July 2014, 13:08   #30
BHPian

Hi Viju, I couldn't have, in my wildest preparations ever thought that somebody could go into such minute details in order to get his/her ride back on track. I had recently restored (!) an RX-100 from the '88 batch which I had bought and having read through your thread, I find myself guilty of having overlooked so much. There is a certain passion that is highly infectious and I would have to keep my better half warned about what is to come. Thanks for this mate!
Champion is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks