Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2014, 17:26   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Enfield Bullet - Standard 350 or 500?

My 30 minutes are over, so cannot edit the old ost and need to add just this -

My standard 500, Doppie, is 12 years old now, but still sticks like a leech on the tail of a brand new Continental GT ridden and pulled by an old Bullet hand. And is still running on an untouched unsplit factory bottom end (have lost count of the kms as the speedo is now only there for nostalgia as I do not want to change it to one of the bland new dials). While my LB big end grenaded and needed to be completely rebuilt at 35000 kms. So all this performance and reliability is only on paper. A Bullet is and has always been what its rider makes it. Not what RE does. Once you buy the bike from RE, she's yours. Whether RE stays there for you or not, you and she will find a way to keep running together. That's the beauty of a Bullet.
ebonho is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 30th July 2014, 18:01   #17
BHPian

hsparida - Why not opt for a test ride on both and then decide?
Old 30th July 2014, 18:10   #18

Quite frankly, one of the reasons I'm going for the 'Bullet' - apart from the nostalgia associated with its old world charm - is this passion and pride of the Bulleteers with their bikes as reflected in all the replies to this thread show and the Bullet posts in general.

Personally, I have had the opportunity to live in 3 countries outside India and own/ride various bikes, but I have not seen such a cult-like following like I see for the Bullet! It will be a honor to be part of it

Update: I took a test ride of the UCE500. It felt so good that I forgot to look at the 'technical' aspects of the test ride itself! I just kept on going until the dealer guy sitting behind me asked me to turn back. He didn't have a UCE350 available for a test ride, or so he says. But that's probably a moot point now, anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
My standard 500, Doppie, is 12 years old now, ...That's the beauty of a Bullet.
Is it safe to assume that you had bought it new? I was quite inclined to buy a CI 350 or 500 but in the limited time that I have searched for it in Pune, I was not confident of the sources I was getting it from and whether its owners had maintained it well...hence the choice for a new one and UCE.

Last edited by mobike008 : 31st July 2014 at 15:47. Reason: back to back posts
hsparida is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2014, 18:34   #19
Senior - BHPian

I own a Green Bullet500, probably the first one delivered in Bglr.
Here is my take

Go for 500 if you value safety & comfort over looks. With better lights, disc brake, better suspension, wider tires, duel horns etc , Bullet 500 wins. But if you are a hard core fan of old design, get 350.
From an outright acceleration point of you, I didn't feel a big difference between two, but if you want accelerate from 55kmph/4th gear, those additional torque (as much as a unicorn) really helps and plants a smile on your face.

Since your usage is limited, mileage numbers shouldn't matter.
arjithin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th July 2014, 19:11   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post
I own a Green Bullet500, probably the first one delivered in Bglr.
Here is my take

Go for 500 if you value safety & comfort over looks. With better lights, disc brake, better suspension, wider tires, duel horns etc , Bullet 500 wins. But if you are a hard core fan of old design, get 350.
From an outright acceleration point of you, I didn't feel a big difference between two, but if you want accelerate from 55kmph/4th gear, those additional torque (as much as a unicorn) really helps and plants a smile on your face.

Since your usage is limited, mileage numbers shouldn't matter.
Hi, your thread "The story of another Green Bullet in my life - My Enfield Bullet 500" has been immensely useful. I'm now more inclined towards the Green than ever...

Btw, what's that iOS app that you use for fuel consumption?
hsparida is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2014, 19:51   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsparida View Post
Hi, your thread "The story of another Green Bullet in my life - My Enfield Bullet 500" has been immensely useful. I'm now more inclined towards the Green than ever...

Btw, what's that iOS app that you use for fuel consumption?
I havent updated my thread for long now. let me find some time this weekend and update it.
Its an android app called fuelLog.
Old 31st July 2014, 11:43   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsparida View Post
Is it safe to assume that you had bought it new? I was quite inclined to buy a CI 350 or 500 but in the limited time that I have searched for it in Pune, I was not confident of the sources I was getting it from and whether its owners had maintained it well...hence the choice for a new one and UCE.
How I got (and first found) Doppie is a bit of a Bollywood romance story. She was an ARAI test bike which after testing had been forgotten in the RE godown in Fursungi.

I came to know of her so after a number of telephone calls and emails one day I rode out of Pune to Fursungi to check her out.

There she stood in a corner amongst cartons and bales and mechanical refuse and gunny bags and discarded packing. Covered in inch thick layer of dust (and cobwebs). Missing a kick lever and gear lever and neutral finder and without a battery. Did not look as if she had moved from there for over a year.

It was love at first sight!

And a few months later with all the paperwork from the company and the RTO finally figured out, she was finally mine ......

Enfield Bullet - Standard 350 or 500?-rayan.jpg

Most Bulleteers will agree - a Bullet chooses its rider. Never the other way around.

Last edited by ebonho : 31st July 2014 at 11:45.
ebonho is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 31st July 2014, 13:35   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Most Bulleteers will agree - a Bullet chooses its rider. Never the other way around.
Though many may feel its more romantic a dialogue it may actually be true for some. Like i never even saw my bike and was told there was one last piece in the ambattur factory and that could be mine. There was no hesitation for no reasons. I said yes and few days later saw its first sight. Two years inbetween when i was out of the country and when i came back, the first thing i did was fuel up, oil up and rode 145 kms. Yes, i basically put my suitcases down and went for a 3 hrs ride. Love the color there Dr.
Attached Thumbnails
Enfield Bullet - Standard 350 or 500?-36350_402761701726_670742_n.jpg  

VW2010 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st July 2014, 14:01   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Love the color there Dr.
Love your bike too bro. Whenever I see an Athena Grey 500, I stop and turn to look. So rare they are now. Definitely modern classics (mine will need to be re-registered 3 years from now!).

Black tape on sealed beam chrome rim - HID or rains? Also, your front mudguard is not stock?

You are lucky to get the last of the Athena Grey 500s. When they turned black, while lots of guys liked the black (also very nice looking with the gold pinstriping) I personally felt the "original" std 500 had died. Especially since the black ones also came with ES .....

P.S. I miss those original factory fitted Gabriel rear shocks. My current Armstrong ones are all crap in comparison.

Last edited by ebonho : 31st July 2014 at 14:04.
Old 31st July 2014, 15:02   #25
BHPian

Hi Mr Parida,
I would give a small reason of settling witha bullet 350...We tripped to ladakh last year and the trip was done on a bullet electra 350.In terrains like those it did not feel any nervourness pulling up a gradient of almost 45 degrees,someplaces 60 degrees. And all this was done with a pillion,bagpacks(2) tied on the rear and 20 litres of reserve petrol. And trust me this vehicle never betrayed me and you would not believe what all remote places we went UP to..i have plans to make a travellogue of that uncomparable trip.
Old 31st July 2014, 15:37   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Being an owner of a Classic Chrome 500cc, I too would chime in that if your buying a bullet for liesure rides and do not use it for every day ride to work ( most people do and for them FE comes into play) then its a no-brainer of choosing the 500.

500cc bikes are much smoother than their 350 siblings and I also rode the UCE 500 and felt it to be quite smooth and perhaps smoother than the FI 500cc

As the saying goes " Too much power is never enough"

Go for the 500
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2014, 15:48   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
As the saying goes " Too much power is never enough"
Modified in the case of Bullets (and kindred American heritage marques) to "gimme whatever you got, because its still not going to be enough"

Last edited by ebonho : 31st July 2014 at 15:57.
ebonho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2014, 16:09   #28
BHPian

The 350 and 500 are not much different in driving characteristics. But the 500 has slightly more pick up and in my view, sounds better. The 350 has a lighter feel to it and is more fuel efficient.

Whichever bike you buy make sure you do a proper PDI before registration and check the bike for oil leaks, chipped paint and any unusual noise from the engine and brakes. Dealers tend to "pre-register" a bike to a customer, but if you find any problem prior to registration, you can refuse to take it and demand a replacement.
Old 31st July 2014, 16:19   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_v8 View Post
drvhplyevraftr mate among the motorcyles you have shortlisted my vote goes to the Thunderbird 500 EFi, the reason being it gives the maximum bang for the buck in terms of HID projector headlamps, Super cool LED ring in front headlight and rear LED tail lights, MID instrument cluster, front and rear disc brake, huge 20 ltr fuel tank, supremely comfortable and awesome handler thanks to beefier front forks and redesigned rear swingarm, fatter rear tyres will open a plethora of options while changing tyres, awesome seats and riding posture for long rides, infact the Thunderbird 500 can double up as a decent city bike too.
Sorry for the OT.

It is for the same reasons I am thinking of the Thunderbird 500. In my case it would be almost 99% used in the city and not for highway cruising. In the city, will a Classic/Bullet 500 fare better than a Thunderbird 500?. If so for what reasons?.

Thank you.
Old 31st July 2014, 17:04   #30

@hsparida - I was also in a same situation like you a year before. For me also, if it is bullet then it should have a Golden strip with the Logo in black background.
So i was looking for the standard bullet only. But for me the self-starter was a must, since I had an accident in 2008 i have a metal plate and some screws on my pelvic bone.
During 2011 the standard bullet don’t have a self-start option. On 2012 i ended up in buying a maroon color UCE classic 350. Once I had a chance to ride a Classic 500 for some 100+km on a trip and i am really blown away with torque and the extra power delivery. There were rumors of a standard bullet 500 with self-start and disc brakes at that time and I was really thrilled. I waited and waited at last i sold of my classic 350 and ended up in booking a desert storm 500. The waiting period was 8 months for DS500. Before two months I got the delivery of my DS500, the standard 500 was launched in Kerala (where I live) and in Punjab I think. I was very excited, at the showroom there was bullet 500 forest green for test drive. Took the beauty immediately for a spin. It was excellent riding position, comfortable seats, the color, the legendary stripes everything was there. I almost decided on it, enquired how much time i have to wait for more because already have been waiting for 6 months. I was almost about to change my booking, Just once more I had a second look and OMG. It was like a shock for me. The entire rear end of the bike for me was horrible. The Classics tail lamp gives it something like a hybrid feeling, and the greatest turnoff for me was the squarish fenders on the rear. At some angles from side you can see a huge gap between the rear tire and the fenders. I am kind of person who don’t wants to do any major modifications, and I prefer to keep them as stock.

I know the looks are really personal preferences. But if you are ok with these things. Then the best bet for you will be The Standard Bullet 500 in forest green color.
I am happy with my Desert Storm 500. The only thing missing is the legendary stripes. Buy I live with the matt finish, the vintage and simple looks and the torque which I like since a year.
rust_in_peace is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks