Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2018, 12:47   #46
Team-BHP Support

Re: Bangalore: KTM's service quality on a steady decline

Quote:
Originally Posted by unk9ja View Post
I would suggest you to take it to Indimotard and get it done. Only grouse here is the Mahadevapura traffic at the peak time and also the road condition due to Metro work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
If time and distance is not a problem, I wholeheartedly support this advice. I was giving my bike at Indi and have been a satisfied customer for long.
This is Anand's place right? I think I should just do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
N S Bike Point near the Shell petrol bunk Basavanagar (can reach via BEML-Malleshpalya or Old airport road-ADA Rangamandira also)
NS Bike Zone, according to google. Thanks. Will keep this also on mind.
Old 19th November 2018, 14:18   #47
BHPian

I went around on Saturday looking for KTM service centers( not ASC) in South Bangalore. Visited Unique Bike Service at BSK. They seem to have good mechanics, tools and space ( more space than most of the ASCs in Bangalore). I didn't get any work done, so I can't comment on that. I met a guy who is getting his Duke 200 for a BLR-Mumbai ride. He said it was his first time there and he was not shocked by the estimates given.

Then I visited Auto Service - almost diagonally opposite to Unique Bike Service. They have a KTM board in front of the workshop. They apparently are no more authorized to do KTM service- no warranty claims or free services. Place was crowded, so this must be a nice place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Please let us know your experience- quality of work and expenses- after your service.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 20th November 2018 at 08:51. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please edit your previous post if re-posting within 30 minutes. Thanks.
Old 19th November 2018, 14:27   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There is a new place that has just opened up in Agara, Highlander.
Ok, this seems interesting - will watch out for any experience to see if this can be an alternative for regular service. If it doesn't looks promising, then ride all the way to Indimotard it is.

Quote:
Yup - only advice is, please call ahead and check. You don't want to land up on the day when they are carting bikes back from a track session

--Anoop
theexperthand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th November 2018, 15:19   #49
BHPian

Quote:
There is a new place that has just opened up in Agara, Highlander.
I found the GMaps link and the reviews are good. Too new to get any bad reviews ? I will definitely visit this place soon.
Romins is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2018, 16:37   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romins View Post
I went around on Saturday looking for KTM service centers( not ASC) in South Bangalore. Visited Unique Bike Service at BSK. They seem to have good mechanics, tools and space ( more space than most of the ASCs in Bangalore).
Then I visited Auto Service - almost diagonally opposite to Unique Bike Service.
Unique bike is a Bosch Express bike service center. I used to go there for trivial jobs but stopped after I was told to replace the entire clutch when my bike was 22k on the odo. Now it has run 45k without any clutch change or overhaul, I don't see myself going back to Unique again. I agree to the fact that the setup is very good with knowledgeable people.
Not wanting to frighten you, Auto Service is a mixed bag of reviews. Some have good while some have had bad like other KTM SVC. If you have any good contacts within it, I would ask you to venture out, otherwise it will be sheer luck.
unk9ja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2018, 19:26   #51
BHPian

I went to a workshop nearby at Electronic City - RK Bikes Point - Bosch Express Bike Service. I used to go there for my RX100 and Hero Pleasure for many years. I was not sure if he can handle a KTM. He has good experience with Pulsar. His friend is a senior mechanic at KTM. Today, I got the bike after fixing the issues. As of now, the results are good. I will update after a long ride.

Quote:
I was told to replace the entire clutch when my bike was 22k on the odo.
If your clutch plate is burnt, it will revv up to 6000-8000rpm in each gear as if you have engaged the clutch, before the bike actually gets moving. There will be significant drop in pickup. I had these issues and got it replaced recently.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 20th November 2018 at 08:50. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please edit your previous post if re-posting within 30 minutes. Thanks.
Old 5th December 2018, 18:14   #52
BHPian

I got my bike from Highlander today after two weeks. It was plagued with issues and needed a major repair. This place is really nice. Kartik, Manju, Arun and Raghu are nice to talk to and explain every bit in detail. They will show you the parts to be replaced and the new parts as well. They keep rental bikes (Unicorn and CBR) in case you need another bike while you leave your bike for service. Kartik is an ex-Honda mechanic and Arun comes from KTM. Manju was part of the Dominar expedition team. Overall I recommend Highlander for 'big bike league'.

Last edited by Romins : 5th December 2018 at 18:16. Reason: added GMaps link
Romins is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th January 2019, 17:14   #53
Senior - BHPian

Update on IndiMotard:
A lengthy read, please bear

So my bike went in for service at IndiMotard before I tookoff to Bhutan on 8/12. I had informed them about my plans and asked them to go ahead and replace any part if it can play spoilsport on my ride. The bike was with them for 4 days before it was delivered.

Third day on my ride, 80 kms from Bhubaneshwar, I hear the chain slapping against the plastic guard. Immediately I ask a team member to check and he confirms the chain slapping. As the breakfast break was around half an hour ahead, I resume journey. A couple of kms and the noise gets worse. I ask another rider in front of me to check and he reports my sprocket is wobbling. Immediately we stop and I open the rear wheel to find the below.

Bangalore: KTM's service quality on a steady decline-img_20181210_094727_hdr.jpg

The sprocket bearing has missing balls and the cage holding it and only races were available. This was replaced before I got the bike from service and hardly lasted 1500 kms. There was a FNG where the mechanic replaced the bearing with a local make and until now it has run for 5k kms without any issue.

Second incident took place during the return, 50 kms to Sagar in MP. I brake for an obstacle on road let go and press again and I hear grinding noises from the front disk. On closer inspection, found brake pads have flown off the caliper. I rode around 300 kms without front brake and the KTM Chindwara did a patch up job as the bolt holding the pads was not available. Before this, took to Samrat Bajaj at Narsinghpur where they tried to replace the pads but parts were not available. The technician says the bolt holding the clip has fallen off and so the pads were free to fall off.

So the recent experience at IndiMotard has left a bad taste. It might be one off case, but the customer has been put to difficulties.
After my return I had words with them and closed the matter at that. I might give them another chance but my mind says no. And as I pen this, the bike is in SVC for the output shaft bearing damage which again points to the rear sprocket bearing failure.

This is how I rode from Sagar to Chindwara.

Bangalore: KTM's service quality on a steady decline-img_20181221_175654090.jpg

Bangalore: KTM's service quality on a steady decline-img_20181221_175704614.jpg
unk9ja is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th March 2019, 19:05   #54
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Quote:
Please let us know your experience- quality of work and expenses- after your service.
Finally I got around to do this... Had to replace the fork oil seal about 500 kms back (since they were leaking), this was done at the Indira Nagar KTM. Last week I noticed that the darn fork is leaking again on right hand side. Decided to catch hold of these guys at indi motorad and get things sorted out, once and for all.

List of work done when I gave on tuesday afternoon:

- full check up service
- fix front shock leak
- check / replace cone bearing
- fix front brake light switch
- fix the rattles from rear

Bike was given on tuesday, but the service in charge was on leave that day, so another person took the bike in. Next day the service in charge called up and I explained what needs to be done. Friday evening was the delivery scheduled (I had insisted that they can take all the time they need), but when I spoke on Friday afternoon, I was informed that they have not really checked the cone. But then I explained the history, and insisted they should replace if the part was available. I was kept informed that I would have to wait if I land up on Friday evening, but I did not want to postpone further, since the idea of weekend commute from Indira Nagar to Mahadevapura is not really what you term as exciting

To cut the long story, I arrived and saw the whole front end was in pieces and it would take at least couple of hours. This is at 7 pm. Noticed the mech was also not very excited at this idea of working late. So told them to take one more day and get the job done right. They in-turn offered a delivery at home next day, to which I said we will take that call the next day. Saturday they had to take one of the bikes to RTO and they sent my Duke also with the boys and was delivered at my door step. Was it worth the wait? You bet it was!

Duke has never felt so fresh in the last 6 months that it has been with me / and through 3 workshop visits it had during this duration. Feels crisp, the cone set replacement has done wonders to the agility. Shocks have been set nicely and right. I was told they were set uneven previously, which lead the the premature wear. Though the filter and plug were new, was changed due to some communication gap. But that was just 300 bucks and I really don't think it is an issue, especially after such a great work.

Overall I am very happy with the work. Hope this helps.

ps: I realised why nobody replaced the cone set on this bike earlier?! Duke 390 is one of the worst bike to work with for this job. One has to fully dismantle everything that sits on the fork, including headlights, wiring, meters etc into smallest bits and pieces to get the job done. There is no easy removal (like say whole headlight assembly moved out of the way, instead of dismantling it into bits) possible in this bike easily a 3 hour job if you ask me..

Last edited by Jaggu : 18th March 2019 at 19:13.
Jaggu is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th December 2020, 23:05   #55
BHPian

Quote:

ps: I realised why nobody replaced the cone set on this bike earlier?! Duke 390 is one of the worst bike to work with for this job. One has to fully dismantle everything that sits on the fork, including headlights, wiring, meters etc into smallest bits and pieces to get the job done. There is no easy removal (like say whole headlight assembly moved out of the way, instead of dismantling it into bits) possible in this bike easily a 3 hour job if you ask me..
Thanks for the update. I am facing similar issues with my D390 with front fork seal leakage. Replaced right seal very recently and now I could see left fork is leaking.
Now I know why after insisting so many times the last two mechanic was not ready to replace the coneset. The handlebar has become vague and I feel the coneset needs replacement.
Old 21st December 2020, 19:20   #56
BHPian

Guess what. This is the state of 7 years plus old cone set of my D390. I am yet to receive the bike from service center and fork seal work is still going on.
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore: KTM's service quality on a steady decline-img20201221wa0011.jpg  

Old 10th September 2022, 07:34   #57
Senior - BHPian

Unfortunately Highlander service standards have slipped big time. I called them (Prathik) over the phone to have a look at my VSTROM as - 'while decelerating, there was a drag'. Spent two hours getting there, was made to wait 40 minutes for the 'expert' Karthik to at least see the bike. But finally when I walked up to him. he was doing a 'full service' on another bike and said he couldn't attend to me. There seems to be some friction between the guys there, could sense it. I was really disappointed as it mean four hours of my time down the drain. Wish I had seen Karthik diagnosing my issue and test his caliber, but that was not to be. Such arrogance could mean the end to this venture
Quote:
I got my bike from Highlander today after two weeks. It was plagued with issues and needed a major repair. This place is really nice. Kartik, Manju, Arun and Raghu are nice to talk to and explain every bit in detail. They will show you the parts to be replaced and the new parts as well. They keep rental bikes (Unicorn and CBR) in case you need another bike while you leave your bike for service. Kartik is an ex-Honda mechanic and Arun comes from KTM. Manju was part of the Dominar expedition team. Overall I recommend Highlander for 'big bike league'.

Last edited by Sebring : 10th September 2022 at 07:36.
Old 10th September 2022, 09:39   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Unfortunately Highlander service standards have slipped big time.
Totally agree! I haven't gone there for two years after they suggested to replace a perfectly working odometer and later fitted a faulty stator coil.

They were good four years ago when they started. Things change!

I go to Moto Avventura near Vega City Mall for the last two years and my cost per km has reduced significantly. Please PM me if you need more details.

Last edited by Romins : 10th September 2022 at 09:47. Reason: added google maps link
Romins is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2022, 13:08   #59
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
But finally when I walked up to him. he was doing a 'full service' on another bike and said he couldn't attend to me.

Such arrogance could mean the end to this venture
As long as first-in, first-out was maintained - is it really arrogance on part of the service center?
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th September 2022, 14:16   #60
Senior - BHPian

It is arrogance because nobody was asking for full service. Just start the engine, tell me whats wrong and send me on my way. How hard is that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
As long as first-in, first-out was maintained - is it really arrogance on part of the service center?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks