Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th January 2015, 11:47   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: KTM RC 390 vs Kawasaki Ninja 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsub View Post
Your choice should be dictated by how you feel about a bike, how you connect with it and will it give you the widest smiles while you are riding on your favorite roads.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shan_ned View Post
I would say this - If you are very serious about riding, keep exclusivity as one of the last deciding factors and there are other important factors to consider. You can disagree with this traditional thought and it is you who has to decide. Good Luck !!!
Thanks ,I agree with you both. From this thread I know all the pros and cons of these bikes on paper but to truly know if these bikes will suit me or not I will need to test ride them. After that I will juggle with the exclusivity factor in my priority list based on my liking.
Old 30th January 2015, 17:38   #47
Team-BHP Support

Exclusive? Has to be a Ninja. A Ninja 300 in pearl white is rare, infact, most will overlook a Ninja now and go for RC. Cost is a major factor for most and that you are getting too much for that money.

If a bike is going to be not exclusive amongst both, I will bet on the RC.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2015, 02:38   #48
BHPian

Hi Stan,

I had to comment on this thread because, I do not get the feeling that you really understand yet, what riding is about. It's not show boating but, experiencing one of the greatest joys offered to humans, in my opinion. But the price to pay is the time you have to dedicate in mastering it, which truth be told, is actually in years, not months, years. That's the reason you always want to start riding a motorcycle you're truly comfortable with, not from just a test ride but, may be get to ride different bikes from you friends etc. Just to get the feel of different bikes, the posture, ergonomics, foot pegs placements, throttle response, brake response etc. Not to mention body and head positioning, heightened peripheral awareness etc. which, obviously are the most crucial. There are just too many factors you need to master ultimately, for a truly joyous riding experience where safety and common sense is automatic and does not have to be constantly thought about while riding.

Riding fast and powerful motorcycles need REAL SKILL. These are not cars, where you are safely ensconced in a cage and you walk away from even serious accidents. A fall from a motorcyle, even a minor can be your last. Are you willing to accept that? Believe me as some one who has been riding for decades, there are only two types of riders, the ones who have crashed and the ones who are going to crash.

I really hope you think long and hard on the purpose of your getting into motorcycling. It's a dangerous sport at any speed and wearing complete gear is not an option but a necessity, even for the shortest rides. Can you live with the fact that people will think, comment and possibly mock you saying "you're crazy to wear all that gear, in the high humidity of Kerala"? If you do, then please, please, rethink your decision, because you're playing with fire.

Well, I've said my piece. Good luck with your search. Ride safe.

Last edited by VLOCT : 31st January 2015 at 02:41.
VLOCT is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st January 2015, 10:00   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLOCT View Post
These are not cars, where you are safely ensconced in a cage and you walk away from even serious accidents. A fall from a motorcyle, even a minor can be your last. Are you willing to accept that? Believe me as some one who has been riding for decades, there are only two types of riders, the ones who have crashed and the ones who are going to crash.

I really hope you think long and hard on the purpose of your getting into motorcycling. It's a dangerous sport at any speed and wearing complete gear is not an option but a necessity, even for the shortest rides. Can you live with the fact that people will think, comment and possibly mock you saying "you're crazy to wear all that gear, in the high humidity of Kerala"? If you do, then please, please, rethink your decision, because you're playing with fire.
Thanks for your honest words and concerns which are much appreciated. Actually it's the same reasoning by my parents which discouraged me from getting a 2 wheeler license and eventually never letting me get or ride a bike ( although I was interested in fast bikes )

I'm still apprehensive about riding bikes safely on our roads , just last week 2 people I know passed away in accidents involving their scooter and bike, FYI they were not wearing their helmets (anyways I doubt if it would have helped them in that horrific accident).

So why am I still considering to get a fast bike ?

1. I think super bikes and fast bikes are cool to at least have in your garage.

2. Easy to park anywhere.

3. Blast past those toll gates without paying anything (after paying all these years for my Cars).

4. Will be used very rarely and only on highway roads. Not in peek traffic and congested roads.

I don't care what people think about what I wear in the humid or cold when it comes to my safety. I believe with more caution and safe application of throttle as per conditions, a bike can still be ridden safely considering the dangers , else why would millions still be riding a bike in India ?
Old 31st January 2015, 13:18   #50
BANNED

After going through your requirements I feel that your budget is unfortunately not quite enough to get you the exclusivity you desire. But there is one thing you have forgotten to consider- A Hyosung 650 is still exclusive and has decent power, exhaust note and can be yours for 5L.
Old 1st February 2015, 07:51   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaks View Post
After going through your requirements I feel that your budget is unfortunately not quite enough to get you the exclusivity you desire. But there is one thing you have forgotten to consider- A Hyosung 650 is still exclusive and has decent power, exhaust note and can be yours for 5L.
At that price range I could just go for the Harley Davidson Street 750. It isn't a Sports Bike but it fits almost all my requirements perfectly.
Old 1st February 2015, 09:08   #52
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLOCT View Post
I had to comment on this thread because, I do not get the feeling that you really understand yet, what riding is about.

+1 to everything you said. Not specific to stanjohn123 but to anyone who is starting to ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanjohn123 View Post

2. Easy to park anywhere.
You got the parking thing wrong, ask anyone who has a decent set of wheels. It is a nightmare to park a good ride anywhere. Anyone can mount, do away with the side stand, pretend riding it till 200kmph and walk away, sometimes without putting back the side-stand. Or simply fiddling with your ride. Some lowlifes have done worse, but that is vandalism.
Old 2nd February 2015, 11:02   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanjohn123 View Post
Thanks for your honest words and concerns which are much appreciated. Actually it's the same reasoning by my parents which discouraged me from getting a 2 wheeler license and eventually never letting me get or ride a bike ( although I was interested in fast bikes )

I'm still apprehensive about riding bikes safely on our roads , just last week 2 people I know passed away in accidents involving their scooter and bike, FYI they were not wearing their helmets (anyways I doubt if it would have helped them in that horrific accident).

I believe with more caution and safe application of throttle as per conditions, a bike can still be ridden safely considering the dangers , else why would millions still be riding a bike in India ?
Stanjohn,
There are two things I would like to put. First is the general safety of riding any two wheeler, be it a Hera Honda Spendor or TVS scooty or any other bike. Yes, riding any two wheeler always comes with some risk (in comparison to four wheelers).

The second thing is a different safety aspect which applies only to fast or super bikes. Let me state it explicitly - IT IS NOT ONLY ABOUT BEING MORE CAUTIOUS AND SAFE APPLICATION OF THROTTLES. IT IS ALSO ABOUT REQUIRING A DIFFERENT SKILL SET EVEN WHEN RIDING ON ROADS WHICH ARE TOTALLY EMPTY - A DIFFERENT SKILL SET WHEN RIDING BEYOND A CERTAIN SPEED LIMIT. RIDING AT CERTAIN SPEEDS (read it as triple digit figures) IS COMPLETELY DIFFERENT FROM RIDING AT SPEEDS WHICH WE NORMALLY DO INSIDE THE TOWN/CITY. ANYONE RIDING A MOTORCYCLE WILL HAVE SOME ASSUMPTIONS ON HOW IT WILL BEHAVE AT SLOW SPEEDS, BUT THOSE ASSUMPTIONS WILL BREAK COMPLETELY AND GIVE A COMPLETE SURPRISE AS IT STARTS BEHAVING DIFFERENTLY THAN WHAT THE RIDER THOUGHT. THE RESULT - THE RIDER SUDDENLY FEELS THE BIKE IS NEITHER ACCEPTING HIS STEERING INPUTS NOR BEHAVING AS WHAT HE WISHED IT TO BE AND IT GOES OUT OF HIS CONTROL.

This above is my OWN experience and many riders have faced the same problem on more than few occasions. The only difference is - Many of us are lucky enough to survive such incidents and the rest are not. The point is simple - Many assume they have mastered the art of riding, but they end up eating humble pie on getting the superbikes.

If you see most of the posts, they all recommend you to start with less powerful bikes and slowly graduate to more powerful bikes. Trust me - Those words have come from experience. We all wish you own the best superbike, but only asking you to be in that position once you are ready for that. Wish you good luck !!
shan_ned is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2015, 21:41   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan_ned View Post
We all wish you own the best superbike, but only asking you to be in that position once you are ready for that. Wish you good luck !!
With many prudent Bhpians advising against such powerful bikes I'm going to put my purchase on hold. Will learn first on slower bikes such as my friends Pulsar 150 for a year and once I'm very comfortable and confident only then will think about these bikes.
stanjohn123 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th August 2016, 19:39   #55
BHPian

Confused. Which bike?

Guys, newbie here. Although I have been driving cars for the last 10 years, I still feel the old connect to 2 wheels from my college days. I wish to get back into biking, and I am confused between a Ninja 300, Yamaha R3 or a used Ninja 650 . I am going to use the bike for city use and touring as well, hence eliminated the KTMs. Thought of waiting for the bajaj CS 400, but not sure about bajaj's quality. Ninja 250 appeals to my head as I am getting back into biking after a long time, but the 650 appeals to my heart. Wanted to know what the community members advise?
akp666 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2016, 20:03   #56
BHPian

Re: Confused. Which bike?

Preferably get something with ABS
farhadtarapore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2016, 20:43   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akp666 View Post
Guys, newbie here. Although I have been driving cars for the last 10 years, I still feel the old connect to 2 wheels from my college days. I wish to get back into biking, and I am confused between a Ninja 300, Yamaha R3 or a used Ninja 650 . I am going to use the bike for city use and touring as well, hence eliminated the KTMs. Thought of waiting for the bajaj CS 400, but not sure about bajaj's quality. Ninja 250 appeals to my head as I am getting back into biking after a long time, but the 650 appeals to my heart. Wanted to know what the community members advise?
When buying things like cars and bikes, always listen to you heart, else every time you look at a 650 you will yearn for it.
Besides, the 650 is a much rounder motorcycle and versatile too, apart from touring, it makes a good commuter too.
motorpsycho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2016, 23:10   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akp666 View Post
My close friend was in the exact same situation. He started from Ninja 300 then CBR250 and many things in between including the KTMs. He is kinda tall, so KTMs were out mostly out as they didn't sort of suit him.

My recommendation would be a used Ninja 650. You can find plenty not much used one's. Its straight line performance will bring the required special in your life. It will bring some learning curve which will help bring you back to biking. Plus its comfortable for touring and straight highways will not be boring.

My friend did end up a buying a new Ninja 650. Pretty happy with it.

CHEERS!!

Rachit
Rachit.K.Dogra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2016, 23:53   #59
BHPian

Someone here suggested buying a bike with ABS, and I too subscribe to that idea.

Looking at your (heart's) love for the Ninja 650, why don't you check out the Versys 650? It has the same engine, pretty much eats up any kind of Indian road that you throw at it, and has ABS. I somehow feel it ticks all the right boxes for you.

P.S. I'm assuming you're well acquainted with the power curve of these bikes.
dreamseller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2016, 09:26   #60
Senior - BHPian

I think it all boils down to whether you want something sporty like the little 250s and 300s or whether you want something that you can blast down highways with but perhaps not have quite as much fun on the ghat sections.

The Kawi 650s will be quite relaxing in that aspect. They are good bikes to nip around town in as well.

Between the Ninja 300 and the R3, I would suggest the Ninja. The R3 has a great motor and good refinement levels along with solid braking performance. BUT the forward set footpegs, 50-50 weight distribution and the very basic diamond frame chassis, means that it is simply not deserving of the R moniker. The shape of the MRFs as well rob it of any sporty intentions it might have had. Was a serious disappointment for me after the R15. If you want an R3, I'd suggest just going for a used Kawi 650 since the R3 simply isn't sporty enough in my personal opinion. The Ninja 300 isn't very sporty either but it manages to strike a good balance between comfort and sport. The engine might have slightly less poke but then you've got a lot more revs to play with. Getting the bike to tip over initially in fast switchback corners may take a bit of work but mid corner stability is confidence inspiring the thing even has a slipper clutch which makes corner entry very easy and loads of fun. Last but not least it also comes with a huge tank and is the most fuel efficient in its class

PS: do wait to see if the CS400 suits you and the kind of riding style you would like to adopt. AFAIK quality of Bajaj bikes have vastly improved.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 30th August 2016 at 09:38.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks