Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd February 2016, 14:19   #526
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Royal Enfield trademarks the name "Himalayan" EDIT: Now unveiled!

Couple of pics of the "Pahaadi".

Source: ACI
Attached Thumbnails
The Royal Enfield Himalayan, now launched!-0_468_700_http172.17.115.18082extraimages20160202010228_2.jpg  

The Royal Enfield Himalayan, now launched!-0_468_700_http172.17.115.18082extraimages20160202123255_1.jpg  

//M is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2016, 16:29   #527
BHPian

re: The Royal Enfield Himalayan, now launched!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arvin_86 View Post
Finally.! I guess its safe to say,Royal Enfield have done a decent job. were we expecting more? with all the rumors going around, i surely was expecting more. But not to take any credit away from what the RE engineers have been able to come up with, it surely is a bike that will take the rider to places far and beyond.
A simple engine, modest design and more importantly a bike with provision for all the necessary accessories to be mounted when you decide break off the monotony that has set in.

Cribs:
> Will the engine be a tad under powered for a two up ride? 24.5bhp. its got a decent torque though.

It can't be a 'Classic 500' killer. Placed right in between the 350 & 500 power specs. I'm only hopeful of the speculated twin-Cyl engine on board the Himalayan

Last edited by Rehaan : 4th February 2016 at 20:43. Reason: Fixing quote :)
Old 2nd February 2016, 16:37   #528
Senior - BHPian

Royal Enfield Himalayan unveiled; launch in March

After a series of spy shots, spy videos and an extensive teaser campaign, Royal Enfield has finally unveiled the all-new Himalayan adventure tourer. Claimed to be Royal Enfield’s first purpose-built motorcycle, the Himalayan has been tested on a variety of terrain conditions and in a range of temperatures to make it abuse friendly.

The Royal Enfield Himalayan, now launched!-himalayan-profile.jpg

The Royal Enfield Himalayan, now launched!-himalayan_thematic-shot.jpg

The Himalayan uses a half-duplex split cradle frame and gets a set of 41 mm front forks with 200 mm of travel and as a Royal Enfield first, suspension duties at the rear are taken care of by a linkage-type monoshock with 180 mm of wheel travel. Up front, the bike sports a 90/90-21’’ tyre, while at the rear, the Himalayan gets a 120/90-17’’ tyre. It boasts of a ground clearance of 220 mm. Stopping power comes from a 300 mm disc brake up front and a 240 mm disc at the rear. ABS however, isn’t an option just yet, but given how it will be mandatory soon, we can be certain that it will be added later.

Another ‘all-new’ on the bike is the engine. Labelled - the LS 410 or “long stroke” 410 engine, the SOHC motor on the Himalayan has 2-valves, with a bore x stroke equation of 78 mm x 86 mm. As the name suggests, this is a long stroke engine designed for good low-end torque delivery. The engine delivers 32 Nm of torque from 4,000 – 4,500 rpm and a moderate 24.5 BHP at 6,500 rpm. It is mated to a 5-speed gearbox.

The Royal Enfield Himalayan, now launched!-ls-410-profile.jpg

Fuel is fed through a carburetor and while a fuel-injected model can be expected in the near future, Royal Enfield has chosen a carbureted setup to make the bike easier to fix, especially in remote areas where fuel adulteration and even availability can be an issue.

The bike tips the scales at 182 kg. It gets a 15L fuel tank with a touring range of 450 km. The Himalayan gets a 10,000 km oil change interval and a 25,000 km spark plug change interval.

This will be offered in two colour options – Granite and Snow. It will be on display at select Royal Enfield stores in Delhi and NCR region from Feb 03, 2016. Bookings and test rides for the Himalayan begin from March 17, 2016, across the country. Details such as the warranty, price and delivery schedule will be revealed in March when the bike is launched.

The Royal Enfield Himalayan, now launched!-granite-front-male-34.jpg

The Royal Enfield Himalayan, now launched!-granite-male.jpg

The Royal Enfield Himalayan, now launched!-granite-rear-elevation.jpg

The Royal Enfield Himalayan, now launched!-granite-female.jpg

The Royal Enfield Himalayan, now launched!-royal-enfield-himalayan.jpg

The Royal Enfield Himalayan, now launched!-snow-back-male-34.jpg

The Royal Enfield Himalayan, now launched!-snow-front-male-34.jpg
S2!!! is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2016, 16:47   #529

Just saw a white and a black himalayan outside the Saket royal enfield showroom! The black one was with the panniers.

They were just riding them into the lot for cleanup and polish to put them up on display, I have to say what a sweet sounding bike it was. It had the sound of a much bigger bike like a 750 or a 800 cc.

Also anyone in and around Saket can go and check out the bikes. They are there right now!

Price speculated by the enfield guys was between 1.65 - 1.80 lakhs. Price will be out by Feb end or march beginning, deliveries to start by April (that's what the showroom guys told me)

p.s - editing was not allowed.

Last edited by mobike008 : 2nd February 2016 at 17:49. Reason: Merging back to back posts
Old 2nd February 2016, 17:26   #530
Senior - BHPian

What a stonker! I mean RE did put in some serious efforts to make this motorcycle happen. For an ADV tourer enthusiast like me its a proud moment that RE has come up with something to offer to my class of riders. The wheel configuration of 21 inch front and 17 inch rear is superb plus the ground clearance of a whopping 220mm will make one forget the undulations on offroad trails and those Mt. Everest like speed brakers in the city. I am glad they retained the long stroke character in the engine(read RE's signature Torquey motors) at least I like it that way. I want it to have Flat Torque Curve . The suspension travel figures are equally impressive and looks business. I could also notice that RE has equipped the motorcycle with steel braided brake lines which is good although ABS will be sorely missed. If they do offer an ABS in the future I would like them to us an option to switch it off while during offroading.

The upswept silencer too is useful while water fording and looks mean and sporty. Gentleman's upright sitting posture is a must for ADV tourers which is welcome. Ah! I like the analogue fuel gauge and the overall IC as it looks straight out of a aeroplane cockpit. Seat height of 800mm is also good considering the average height of our fellow countrymen. Counterbalanced shaft on an OHC big single is a good addition to cut those vibes while cruising. Coming to the colours If I were in the market I would buy the snow white eyes closed.

With an enthusiastic CEO(read Sid Lal) at the helm I am sure there will be a parallel twin 750cc version too in the future. All the best RE!

Last edited by navin_v8 : 2nd February 2016 at 17:30.
navin_v8 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2016, 18:30   #531
BHPian

I wonder if the carb is borrowed from the std 500 or the 350 or maybe its all new.
Old 2nd February 2016, 19:33   #532

I didnt expect this bike will be offered with the carburetor. The slow throttle response would be a deal breaker for a bike with such an aggressive character.
Old 2nd February 2016, 19:44   #533
Senior - BHPian

I would say now it's a brilliant package from RE.

For someone who can't afford the big boys or doesn't need too much power, this is a perfect bike and good on them to launch this in a price bracket were there are no other such ADV models.

Although it is just 24.5 bhp, with the long stroke, it means there is power when required and being a OHC, rightly as Sid Lal mentioned, all the horses will be usable.
Waiting for the test rides to begin.
Old 2nd February 2016, 20:57   #534
Senior - BHPian

Autocar's review on Himalayan
ecenandu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2016, 21:08   #535
BHPian

Whats the purpose of 2 mudguards on front wheel? just for looks? Maybe, thats because it doesnt look good without it
Attached Thumbnails
The Royal Enfield Himalayan, now launched!-bike.png  

Old 2nd February 2016, 21:15   #536
Distinguished - BHPian

Overdrives take on the himalayan
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2016, 21:20   #537
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great View Post
I wonder if the carb is borrowed from the std 500 or the 350 or maybe its all new.
Last thing you need when you stuck somewhere is issue with electronic fuel injection. They wanted a bike to start even without battery, which is quite difficult feat with electronic fuel injection.

IIRC, Mikuni has developed a fuel injection technology which doesn't need a fuel pump, its called DCP FI, and I have started a bike with that fuel injection system without a battery.
More details here

The one in Royal Enfield, the Kehin system, works at 3 bar fuel line pressure and requires at least 10 seconds of fuel pump priming on an empty fuel line. It will be difficult to start such a system without a battery.

Last edited by ecenandu : 2nd February 2016 at 21:22.
ecenandu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2016, 21:48   #538
Senior - BHPian

^^ Correct! Also, patchy EFI can be particularly painful riding off road. Plus the RE boys still get to play around with their carb choices / settings etc. for more power

Old 2nd February 2016, 22:23   #539
BHPian

One word "kudos" to RE for going out of the box and bringing a different product to the Indian market. While the other manufacturers are focused on commuters, this surely is a proud moment for the RE camp. I can already see enthusiasts lining up for the same & Firangis hiring the bike for tour de ladakh.

IMHO, RE should concentrate on offering basic colours only for this bike, anything in Bright red, yellow or electric blue shall look too out of character for this machine. Owning a Std 500 & coming from a C500, i think its a good move to offer the same in carb only model as of now, i guess piece of mind is more important than a little difference in the throttle response. RE gave a cruiser to us Indians in the form of Thunderbird & i think they hope to write the success story of a potent indian ADV with this bike. All the best, way to go.
Old 2nd February 2016, 23:46   #540
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
Last thing you need when you stuck somewhere is issue with electronic fuel injection. They wanted a bike to start even without battery, which is quite difficult feat with electronic fuel injection.

IIRC, Mikuni has developed a fuel injection technology which doesn't need a fuel pump, its called DCP FI, and I have started a bike with that fuel injection system without a battery.
More details here

The one in Royal Enfield, the Kehin system, works at 3 bar fuel line pressure and requires at least 10 seconds of fuel pump priming on an empty fuel line. It will be difficult to start such a system without a battery.
I totally understand your views on the EFI and agree to it too, but mate my post never mentioned it anywhere about the EFi. You totally misread the question I guess.

I was asking which carb is used in the Himalayan
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks