Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th March 2015, 17:29   #1
Team-BHP Support

Rumour: Hero Impulse to get 200, 250 cc engines

Media reports suggest that Hero MotoCorp has pulled the Impulse motorcycle out of the market. There are rumours that the the company planning to give the bike larger power units. It has registered the names Impulse 200 and Impulse 250.

Hero is believed to be working on two new versions of the Impulse. The first one will be powered by a 200 cc, single-cylinder carburetted engine producing 23 bhp. The second version will feature a 250 cc, single-cylinder, fuel-injected power plant with 31 bhp on tap. This engine will be shared with the upcoming HX250R.

The new Impulse motorcycles are likely to be launched in early 2016.

Rumour: Hero Impulse to get 200, 250 cc engines-imp3.jpg

Source: Motor Octane

Last edited by Aditya : 18th March 2015 at 08:27. Reason: Typo
Aditya is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 16th March 2015, 19:17   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rumour: Hero Impulse to get 200, 250 cc engines

Hehe, that is good news. But do I sell my Impulse or wait for the new Impulse to be rolled out so I can plonk an engine from there to here? Decisions, decisions!
naveenroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2015, 19:23   #3
BHPian

About time I say! Now, I know which bike I'm going rent on my next Ladakh ride (the 250)

The 150cc was inadequate and had significant fuelling issues (especially at high altitudes). A couple of years ago, i rented a Impulse in Leh and rode up to Khardungla. While I was pretty impressed with the suspension, the engine was seriously gasping for breath about halfway to K-Top. I know smaller displacement engines do struggle up there, but I've known people on Pulsar 150s etc to not face too many problems. On the way down, it was a blast though. I just stood on the foot pegs and let the suspension work its magic over gravel and passing streams. Felt really good passing the Enfield guys
loki is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th March 2015, 23:40   #4
Senior - BHPian

I truly hope this is true. We have been hearing such rumors for a while now, mostly about Hero shoe-horning the Karizma engine in the Impulse's capable frame

I want the 250 cc engine. Not just more power but you dont have to worry about too rich / lean fueling as the altitude changes, an issue that currently plagues the bike
Urban_Nomad is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th March 2015, 23:51   #5
BHPian

A friend's uncle modified an Impulse with a ZMA engine, aftermarket exhausts and tires and it turned out to be one ANIMAL of a motorcycle. The military green shade on it looked classy and macho at the same time. And boy, was it a breeze to handle!

I really hope the Impulse 250 gives me the same vibes!
barcalad is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th March 2015, 13:34   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcalad View Post
A friend's uncle modified an Impulse with a ZMA engine, aftermarket exhausts and tires and it turned out to be one ANIMAL of a motorcycle.!
Wov, that's some drool material Can you get hold of some snaps and share with us please? Any more technical data would be useful. Did he change the shocks and carburetor?
Old 17th March 2015, 13:45   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki View Post
About time I say! Now, I know which bike I'm going rent on my next Ladakh ride (the 250)

The 150cc was inadequate and had significant fuelling issues (especially at high altitudes). A couple of years ago, i rented a Impulse in Leh and rode up to Khardungla. While I was pretty impressed with the suspension, the engine was seriously gasping for breath about halfway to K-Top. I know smaller displacement engines do struggle up there, but I've known people on Pulsar 150s etc to not face too many problems. On the way down, it was a blast though. I just stood on the foot pegs and let the suspension work its magic over gravel and passing streams. Felt really good passing the Enfield guys
Not Impulse's fault.
As you go higher in Leh region, you have to adjust the air fuel ratio on any carb bike. I was there with my karizma.
Since the air is thinner at such high altitude, the engine gets less oxygen to burn the fuel. This results into the mixture becoming richer. Adjust the fuel screw on the carb and you should be fine.

We had my Karizma, friend's RTR160 and Brother's R15. Zma and RTR required carb adjustments (retuning), while R15 being fuel injected managed it on its own.

The 150 cc engine is from Honda Unicorn, Hero Achiever etc. Though low on power but it is a proven and robust one.

Impulse getting 250cc FI engine is great news. I wanted to but it , but going from Karizma 223cc to Impulse 150cc was a deal breaker. Also, karizma is quite an off-roader.
motionfreak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2015, 17:09   #8
BHPian

I believe Impulse was pulled because of complete lack of sales. Our dealership has 4 Impulses that are 2 years old. It was not a bike dealers were looking to get as part of monthly dispatches. I will be very surprised if Impulse is relaunched with higher cc engines.
kumarshah is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th March 2015, 17:37   #9
BHPian

This news has been around from almost the time of the launch of the Impulse. Honda already had a similar model with the said 250cc mill. Pictures were floating around. TV shows of the test recommended the bike needed a bigger engine etc because the bike dynamics is really great.

The point comes down to this, off road bikes in India are a very niche market. Though very practical in Indian road conditions, they just wont do sales numbers like a regular 150cc/250cc. It is a perception issue and that is not going to change anytime soon.

The only way to deal with it would be to launch it along your premium motorcycle line up and it may just work to the extent of premium biking market.
Mafia is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th March 2015, 22:04   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by highsteem View Post
Can you get hold of some snaps and share with us please?
As requested, the pictures are as follows. The carburettor wasn't changed. All other modifications are visible.
Attached Thumbnails
Rumour: Hero Impulse to get 200, 250 cc engines-img20150126wa0007.jpg  

Rumour: Hero Impulse to get 200, 250 cc engines-img20150126wa0006.jpg  

barcalad is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 17th March 2015, 23:05   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumarshah View Post
I believe Impulse was pulled because of complete lack of sales. Our dealership has 4 Impulses that are 2 years old. It was not a bike dealer s were looking to get as part of monthly dispatches.

I will be very surprised if Impulse is relaunched with higher cc engines
That's straight from the horses (dealer's) mouth.

I agree with you, putting a bigger engine on the Impulse and expecting it to find favour among Indian customers would most likely be a big mistake by Hero.

Engine cc was never an issue with the Impulse. It is the Indian Consumer's mentality and preference. Similar to how "Pick Up Trucks" and "Estate Cars" can't find buyers in India, Indian consumers can't understand the concept of a "skinny" dual purpose motorcycle.

Aren't equally underpowered (150 cc) bikes like the Yamaha FZ and Suzuki Gixxer popular just because it comes with "puffed up" and "artificial" plastic muscles.
payeng is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2015, 10:50   #12
Senior - BHPian

Hope this report comes true. Personally love dual-purpose motorcycles and have been smacking my lips ever since I heard reports of a 390 Adventure by KTM. If Hero can prove there is a market for such bikes, I can only hope the domino effect causes more launches in the segment. A 400-500cc enduro for less than 3 lakh would be the dream, but a 200-250 is certainly an appreciable start.
Tushar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2015, 12:42   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by payeng View Post
Aren't equally underpowered (150 cc) bikes like the Yamaha FZ and Suzuki Gixxer popular just because it comes with "puffed up" and "artificial" plastic muscles.
I disagree, I own a 2012 hero Impulse and I have toured on it extensively. For a touring motorcycle, the lack of power on bike is apparent as soon as you hit the highway, The bike has a top speed on 104 kph and can cruise at just about 80-85 Kph. Which means it is impossible to keep pace with larger displacement bikes such as the p220 or karizma.
Fast flowing hills or highways make matters even worse as you are tempted to carry more speed into the corners as you can not afford to loose momentum. With a high center of gravity, things can get really scary. With a larger engine, I can match them for speed on the straights and even if i loose a little on the corners I can keep pace.
Sure there are gixers and suzukis and i guess for them 150 cc is enough. But for the target segment of the impulse, 150cc motor is a serious drawback.
caged_nomad is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th March 2015, 20:35   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by caged_nomad View Post
I disagree, I own a 2012 hero Impulse and I have toured on it extensively.
Guess what.. I own an Impulse too..!!

I use it for commuting to office and the occasional fun ride.

Quote:
For a touring motorcycle, the lack of power on bike is apparent as soon as you hit the highway, The bike has a top speed on 104 kph and can cruise at just about 80-85 Kph. Which means it is impossible to keep pace with larger displacement bikes such as the p220 or karizma.
First thing: The Impulse is NOT a TOURING Motorcycle.. the Honda NXR 150 Bros (origins of the Impulse) is a simple entry level dual purpose motorcycle.

The Impulse will cruise at 80-85 Kmph on the highways like any air-cooled 150 cc motorcycle.. if one want's power from a 200+ cc motorcycle.. then better get a bigger motorcycle.

The real fun of riding an Impulse is when one takes the Impulse off road/bad roads... it is a Hoot, its an altogether different experience which not Pulsar 220, Karizma, R15 or Ninja can give. But then its clear from the dismal sales numbers of the Impulse that that it not what the Indian consumers want.

Quote:
Sure there are gixers and suzukis and i guess for them 150 cc is enough. But for the target segment of the impulse, 150cc motor is a serious drawback.
There definitely is a profitable market with good sales numbers for Motorcycles that "look" muscular, regardless of its performance. Yamaha, Suzuki, Bajaj have proved it beyond doubt.

There is NO TARGET SEGMENT for a dual purpose motorcycle in India.. Hero has proved it by launching the Impulse.. a handful of enthusiasts like yourself and myself have bought it.. but the meagre numbers do not make a strong case for Hero.
Old 18th March 2015, 23:03   #15
BHPian

The target audience for impulse seems to be less concentric.It would mostly end up attracting dirt bike lovers who expected more power output from this capable machine.IMHO Hero should focus more on mass-market products like karizma,which would appeal to the prospective buyers looking for a powerful and stylish bikes from the likes of TVS and Bajaj
Zahoor23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks