Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2016, 08:49   #31
BHPian

Re: UM Motorcycles @ Auto Expo 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoda0505 View Post
Hi nik_hill, did you get the delivery of your bike? There is no information on the internet on any progress on this front.
-Deliveries are delayed till mid August .By Sept UM will try to clear all bookings in the first phase.
How do I know this ?
-I got a mail from Sr VP Mr Sunil Singh.
Why did I get a mail?
-I am one of the first 1000 customers.
Will I finally buy it?
-Waiting for wife's approval.
Cheers.
Abhay.
indigo74 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th July 2016, 09:52   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigo74 View Post
-Deliveries are delayed till mid August .By Sept UM will try to clear all bookings in the first phase.
How do I know this ?
-I got a mail from Sr VP Mr Sunil Singh.
Why did I get a mail?
-I am one of the first 1000 customers.
Will I finally buy it?
-Waiting for wife's approval.
Cheers.
Abhay.

Great info, thanks Abhay!
I am also waiting to see these bikes in flesh before deciding between Renegade Commando and Enfield Classic. Hope UM stick to their revised timelines now.
Old 11th July 2016, 08:22   #33
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thanks to a Team-BHP Fan (who prefers to remain anonymous) for sharing!

UM Motorcycle's dealership is under construction at Borivali East (near the Magathane bus depot). Might be the first in Mumbai.

UM Motorcycles @ Auto Expo 2016-image1.jpg
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th July 2016, 15:06   #34
Senior - BHPian

The Quality of a Dealership outlet is an indicator of the aspirations the Brand has. I dont think the Brand will do well in India considering what I have seen and heard (or not heard) regarding the launches. This brand may end up like the Hyosung in India (or even worse)
2000rpm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2016, 20:11   #35
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Autocar India's review on the UM motorcycles. As expected, it fails on the quality. front

Quote:
Autocar India

However, when you look at the bikes up-close, that’s where things start to go a bit wrong. Both the bikes have their fair share of quality problems with plastic centre panels not aligning exactly, and the plastic quality (on the panels and even the switchgear) feeling like it was built to an ultra-low price.

While paint quality was good, we did notice some chipping around the lip of the fuel-filler port on the tank. The lack of an overflow gutter around the port was also a severe issue when topping up the bikes, as excess fuel would invariably flow over the tank, and this had even left stains on the matte finish of the Commando. Then there were some other QC issues on the Sport S test bike such as, the handlebar being slightly bent to one side, the misaligned shroud for the fork slider hitting the fork legs, the speedo needle vibrating to the point of illegibility, and the final end plate of the muffler that seemed to be missing, resulting in an exhaust noise that was unbearable after a few minutes. In addition to that, the fuel gauges showed completely wrong readings.
v12 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th July 2016, 18:45   #36
Senior - BHPian

Overdrive is out with its Review as well. And boy, they have been brutal.

Quote:
All my journalist colleagues I met the day before told me to expect the worst. That they’d ridden or tested the new UMs and that they were low quality hacks and that, “I shouldn’t trust them”....

... UM has to figure out if cheap-cheerful is a flavour India likes in its motorcycles. The previous Chinese manufacturers who’ve tried it haven’t made any significant headway. Second, build quality and finish needs to improve by miles if the motorcycles are to be seen as credible products.

payeng is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th July 2016, 09:25   #37
BHPian

It looks like cheap Chinese junk that they sell in Egypt and Africa. Some copied engine platforms from Jap manufacturers and borrowed or hacked chassis from old 90's light bikes.
Finish looks all shiny, but after 2-3 months you will be lucky to have a chassis and engine and maybe a seat to sit on.
It is as American as dumpling. God bless you early birds and for your sake I'm wrong.
amitc7 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th July 2016, 15:07   #38
Team-BHP Support

Re: UM Motorcycles Dealerships

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great View Post
UM Motorcycles India has set up 25 dealerships across India, with 6 alone in Maharashtra.

Source

Okay, I wasn't great at geography back in school, but didn't anyone notice the location of the dealerships shown in the map?

Was there some sort of teleportation that took place which had Kolhapur move from south Maharashtra to north?

I know this is off topic, but still worth checking out.
UM Motorcycles @ Auto Expo 2016-ummotorcyclesdealershipinindia.jpgUM Motorcycles @ Auto Expo 2016-capture.jpg
Omkar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th November 2016, 09:31   #39
GTO
Team-BHP Support

A warning for anyone considering UM Motorcycles. Tread with caution. Deliveries are getting continuously delayed.

An email that I've been copied on, between a customer & the company:

Quote:
Hello Mr. Sunil

Not sure if you would even recall the long conversation we had around end of Aug'16 after multiple escalation mails from my end. While you had humbly confessed the delay & pre production issues in the bike, you had then confirmed that bike would be delivered by 10th Sep'16. Also confirmed by mail that if I'm not satisfied with the Production vehicle after a thorough test drive the booking amount will be reimbursed immediately.

Refer below mail Dtd. 7th Sep'16 which also acknowledges "However I would request you to wait for another one week as you have been patient for past 7 months".

Not a week but it is over 60 days since the last mail and over 9 months since booking amount was paid, haven't received ANY SORT OF CONFIRMATION FROM UM OR DEALERSHIP (which seems still not fully operational). I'm Ashamed of the FALSE CLAIMS & COMMITMENTS MADE BY UM AUTHORITIES all while and the fact that even after 2 years the sale of the bike has not started proves how Unprofessional a company can be.

With due regards to a new brand setting up operations in India, had been patient enough just voicing out my frustration no. of times, not any more, I herewith PLACING MY DEMAND TO REIMBURSE THE BOOKING AMOUNT ALONG WITH SUITABLE COMPENSATION FOR THE DELAY & TRAUMA CAUSED.

While I'm taking legal opinion to move suitable legal course, Await an early acknowledgement & confirmation to my demands.

FRUSTRATED TO BE CUSTOMER
Somashekar M

To: 'Somashekar M'
Sent: Wednesday, September 7, 2016 5:24 PM
Subject: RE: United Motors: Delay In Delivery of the Motorcycle

Dear Sir,

We understand your anger and it is justified as there has been a delay. We gave pre production bikes to dealers for test drive in July and the feedback of customers and a few media on certain fit and finish issues caused delay in the delivery. We have worked on the feedback to improve upon the issues which were notified by customers.

Our attempt to deliver world class quality is the only reason for delay.

The dealer has been in touch with consumers to update the tentative delivery dates.

However I would request you to wait for another one week as you have been patient for past 7 months. The ride of the bike will definitely change your opinion about us.We are committed to serve you and look forward to have you in our UM family of proud rebellions.

Thanks
UM India

Sent: 29 August 2016 16:34
To: Info
Subject: Fw: United Motors: Delay In Delivery of the Motorcycle

Attn: Mr. Sunil

With reference to my discussion with you. Refer below earlier mail from UML & my reply to it in Jul'16.
Never received any acknowledgement.

Thanks & Regards
Somashekar M

----- Forwarded Message -----
To: Info <info@uml.co.in>; "booking@uml.co.in" <booking@uml.co.in>
Sent: Thursday, July 7, 2016 3:18 PM
Subject: Re: United Motors: Delay In Delivery of the Motorcycle

Dear Mr. Sunil

Not sure if this mail will reach you. As a Automotive enthusiast, I would like to voice out my experience & views on the failed commitments from the company.

Understand over last 2+ years UM has been trying to establish business in India, going by reasons mentioned in the generic mail it proves inefficiency of the company to enable the required network. Going by my interactions with your head office & dealer at Bangalore, it seems i have to believe the dealership personnel words who mentioned that their is lack of focus & efforts from company to establish the dealership.

Mind you today Big 4 wheeler brands are ensuring make to order deliveries within 3~4 months of booking. Wonder what constraints are you dealing with?... If the plight of Dealership readiness & sales is such , i'm sceptical of the after sales service which is more crucial for us as customers and also the success of your brand.

Hoping UM is in India to do serious business of providing quality products & services, if so, it's imperative for the company to set the right commitments & honor it as well.

Pl do take time to review the feedback in the right spirit.
Appreciate a due acknowledgement.

Thanks & Regards
Somashekar M

To: booking@uml.co.in
Sent: Friday, July 1, 2016 8:56 PM
Subject: United Motors: Delay In Delivery of the Motorcycle

Dear Sir/Maám
Greetings from UML!
At the outset let me take this opportunity to thank you for booking a UM bike with us. We quite understand that you are a part of UM family and eagerly waiting for your favourite bike.
In our last communication we had said that we are preparing ourselves for delivering the bikes in the month of July. While our endeavour was in that direction, however now we envisage a slight delay in delivering the bikes. Though we increased our efforts to get the vendors ready and however much we tried, in spite of our best efforts, there has been a delay. Such developments are difficult to forecast but nevertheless there has been a delay.
In our revised schedule, we shall start the deliveries of the bikes from mid-August and shall clear the bookings till end September for all those bookings that were done in the first phase. Post clearing the bookings of the first phase, we shall clear the bookings of the second phase.
While we understand that this delay is a dampener, we will request you to bear with us for some time and we shall be happy to serve you. Our sincere apologies for the delay and we are sure the joy of riding the bike will more than compensate the delay from our end.
We look forward to your co-operation and patience and sincerely hope that you are with us in this hour of difficulty.

Senior Vice President
Sunil Singh
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th November 2016, 03:07   #40
BHPian

Twitter feeds show that they are opening showrooms in Bangalore, Gujrat etc.Already 10 showrooms in Bangalore, two in Baroda.
Disclaimer- I am not any way associated with them,though I have booked a commando.
Old 7th November 2016, 16:45   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigo74 View Post
Twitter feeds show that they are opening showrooms in Bangalore, Gujrat etc.Already 10 showrooms in Bangalore, two in Baroda.
Disclaimer- I am not any way associated with them,though I have booked a commando.
Banglaore launch may be a possibility as one of my colleague spotted couple of bikes in the Basavanagudi area last week. He commented on how puny the engine was compared to the size of the motorcycle. Confirmed from him just now, it was a Renegade S and a Commondo.

Last edited by unk9ja : 7th November 2016 at 16:46. Reason: Added more info on the subject
Old 7th November 2016, 17:46   #42
Senior - BHPian

Anybody remember this?
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...r-fraud-3.html

For the interest of the people already invested in UM products, I hope this is not another Eider.
Old 9th December 2016, 20:43   #43
BHPian

Has anybody who has booked the bike received it yet? I have not yet seen a single UM bike on the road. At least not in Mumbai. I was interested in the commando but except for reviews by magazines i have not yet seen a ownership review on youtube.
Old 9th December 2016, 22:47   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Ameya View Post
Has anybody who has booked the bike received it yet? I have not yet seen a single UM bike on the road. At least not in Mumbai. I was interested in the commando but except for reviews by magazines i have not yet seen a ownership review on Youtube.
Better look for the soon to be launched Bajaj Dominar 400

More power, ABS, better specs and features and from an established brand.
Old 11th December 2016, 20:29   #45
BHPian

I was looking for test drive over this weekend in pune. website showed 2 dealers - one in balewadi and other at bedi house, next to starbucks in koregaon park. however when i went there, the showroom was not yet set up. was directed to singh hyundai at nagar road. reached there, but was informed bikes are on display at superbike show at amanora. Finally got to see them in real. Yet to get test ride though. BTW the other candidate is himalayan. Didnt get test drive of himalayan :(

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks