Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2016, 14:04   #271
BHPian

re: The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Lolz... Yup, as the dealer is a close friend, he did mention that this delay might get him to rake up some more bookings for the Himalayan as they have a quota of 2 bikes every month for now, but the PDI thing is no excuse. Though 10L's of engine oil (15W50 grade) has reached the dealership, the oil filter is still on its way through GATI to them from Chennai. Each bike needs a 2L refill.

The Boots are of exceptional quality though I doubt any dealership will let them go @50% discount. As my size was not available, he has ordered new one's in my size which should hopefully be of the new branding that you are talking about, though that hardly matters to me.

Cheers...
The wait must be absolutely terrible! I'm getting mine in a couple of weeks, and its just agonizing.

The boots are amazing yes, I too got the new ones. But the dealers and the online were indeed letting these go at a 50% discount. It isn't there anymore.

A new range t-shirts has also arrived with awesome sketches of the Himalayan, although these are only at company owned accessories-only stores. Awesome stuff. They also have new gloves and a complete waterproof backpack/tankbag made in collaboration with Ortlieb (I think it's Ortlieb). It even has a net to attach the helmet. Price is a bit steep at Rs. 8,000.
torqueunlimited is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2016, 16:32   #272
BHPian

Quote:
Our 2 Himalayans have arrived!

Cheers...
Congrats @dkaile! Mine is here as well. Will be making the payment next week.

The closer the D-day comes, the more impatient I get!
maker_of_things is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2016, 00:37   #273
BHPian

ladies And Gentlemen I announce the arrival of the first HIMALAYAN in the Chandigarh Tri City. Great first ride and worth the hype. The bike is planted and feels solid. For a two decade RE enthusiast the engine and exhaust sound a bit awkward but nothing that you can't get used to. The gear is tough to slot like it is mentioned in almost all the ownership forums but the Head Tech at the showroom assured me that he shall take care of it in the first service. He has been taking care of my REs for the last decade or so, so I don't doubt him. The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-imageuploadedbyteambhp1465585590.974952.jpg
ShellZee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2016, 09:40   #274
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellZee View Post
ladies And Gentlemen I announce the arrival of the first HIMALAYAN in the Chandigarh Tri City.

Congrats!!! Wish you a million happy miles in your new ride.
Old 11th June 2016, 18:11   #275
BHPian

Hi guys. Am back after a long haitus. Got my Himalayan a month back. It was the first one in Ambala. The bike has done 1000 kms in this time. It has exceeded all expectations. The bike will not disappoint but only if you have realistic expectations. Am posting a few snaps. A detailed review will follow. Am leaving with wife from dehradun to kasauli. Will post detailed feedback also.
Old 12th June 2016, 12:40   #276
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Yesterday, I got a chance to test drive Himalayan over a kilometer of very poor/no roads scenario. Overall, I think the himalayan is just a fantastic bike. Excellent seating position, suspension and very confidence inspiring handling over no roads. In fact I was almost full throttle over bad roads and bike was extremely composed.

However, the typical enfield niggles remain. The gearbox especially 1-N-2 was very notchy and hard to engage. Sales rep told me that clutch had to be adjusted, then why the hell don't they just do it especially for a test drive bike.

Assuming one is willing to live with some basic enfield gremlins, there is no bike available in India that gives you what a Himalayan does for the price it does.

I decided to wait for the Benelli Trk 502 and then make a call. The Trk 502 is double the price but it also comes with many improvements over the Himalayan.

Grapewine also mentions a Twin Himalayan in the works. That maybe worth a wait too...
4x4addict is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th June 2016, 12:49   #277
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuxDiesel View Post
For some reason, My friend's Himalayan instrument cluster started showing miles. Any idea on how to reset it back to kilometers ? The manual doesn't seem to have this information
Excited about my very first post on Team BHP! Love this community.

I have figured out the solution to fixing the miles to kms prob. Incidentally it also reset the service indicator sign as well which, was surprising Most RE technicians don't bother resetting the service indicator. Though not a major concern it is annoying just to see that spanner icon flashing all the time.

Here's the simple procedure to convert miles to kms and (incidentally remove the service indicator sign):

1. Insert key into ignition but don't turn it 'On' yet.

2. Press down on both the 'Hazard' and 'Trip' buttons simultaneously. Keep them pressed down.

3. With both the above buttons still in pressed state turn 'On' the ignition key but don't release the buttons yet. Continue to keep them pressed down for another 10 - 15 seconds. You should see the service indicator sign go away as well as the units replaced to kms from miles.

Here's the video after the reset:

Unfortunately I don't have a video of the whole reset procedure as I was just messing around the dashboard trying different combos without expecting any result. Will post the service indicator reset video once I go in for the 2000 kms service by next week I suppose.

Hope this works for everyone.

Thank you!
sdubey23 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th June 2016, 22:28   #278
Senior - BHPian

PDI of Royal Enfield Himalayan

So the D-Day arrived and my dealer friend phoned me to pick up the Himalayan. But as I don't pick up machinery on 13th or Tuesday, I told him I would pick it up on 15th Wednesday. He insisted to at least do the PDI today, which he knew I would like to do personally. So PDI day it was...

So Black it eventually was

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-himalayan-pdi-13062016_1.jpg

2 White bikes had also arrived and we were given the choice to choose if we wished, but we stuck with our original choice

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-himalayan-pdi-13062016_6.jpg

Special engine oil of the 15W50 grade for the LS410 Engine of the Himalayan had already reached them. It is manufactured by Hindustan Petroleum.

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-himalayan-pdi-13062016_2.jpg

This is the component that delayed the PDI. The engine oil filter, unique to the Himalayan in the RE range.

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-himalayan-pdi-13062016_3.jpg

Just 107 bucks, none charged to me. Notice the seat texture in the background, extremely comfortable saddle.

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-himalayan-pdi-13062016_4.jpg

The oil cooler fins were checked. One of two were out of place which were carefully straightened.

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-himalayan-pdi-13062016_5.jpg

The bare-bones. Removing the seat and the tank is a few minutes job. Will be easy to route the power socket cable to the battery underneath the tank, which I plan to do soon, part being on the way from AliExpress.

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-himalayan-pdi-13062016_7.jpg

The oil was drained and 2L fresh oil and oil filter were replaced. Surprising to see this policy of RE to waste perfectly good engine oil.

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-himalayan-pdi-13062016_8.jpg

The battery was checked and serial number jotted down for uploading to the RE mainframe in the PDI checklist. The battery is a VRLA type (maintenance free) 12V-8Ah, and is manufactured by Amaron.

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-himalayan-pdi-13062016_21.jpg

The voltage was checked (12.9V)

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-himalayan-pdi-13062016_9.jpg

The 'ugly' saree guard was removed

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-himalayan-pdi-13062016_10.jpg

The 'defaulting' plastic caps on the frame were identified. The frame nut behind them tightened...

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-himalayan-pdi-13062016_11.jpg

... and they were super-glued back into place so as to not fall off. All 4 of them, 2 on either side.

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-himalayan-pdi-13062016_12.jpg

Some oil had collected inside the engine protection plate while removing the oil filter which I wanted cleaned. Hence asked them to open the 'bash' plate

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-himalayan-pdi-13062016_13.jpg

The under belly view of the 'solid' aluminum plate

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-himalayan-pdi-13062016_14.jpg

And cleaned properly and re-assembled

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-himalayan-pdi-13062016_15.jpg

The side-stand indicator switch by Minda was checked for proper functioning and display in the instrument cluster

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-himalayan-pdi-13062016_16.jpg

The front tyre. 90/90-21 Ceat. Pressure was adjusted to 27 psi (add 2 psi more for pillion riding)

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-himalayan-pdi-13062016_17.jpg

The rear tyre. 120/90-17 Ceat. Solo pressure is 32 psi (34 psi with pillion)

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-himalayan-pdi-13062016_18.jpg

The instrument cluster was checked along with all lights and switches. 15.3km on the odo for delivery.

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-himalayan-pdi-13062016_19.jpg

The idle RPM was adjusted to 1150 (range is 1150~1500). 1.5L of petrol was also filled FOC. All the gasket and casing bolts along with the chassis bolts were tightened to avoid a arulpeem type incidence. I was further informed by the Service Manager that the company has directed them that if there is any undue noise or leakage from the engine in the initial 500 kms, they are strictly directed not to try any repairs and the whole engine will be replaced free of cost from the company. Heartening news that the company is taking this bike seriously.

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-himalayan-pdi-13062016_20.jpg

Ready to rock and roll

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-himalayan-pdi-13062016_22.jpg

IMPORTANT NOTE - I spoke to their regional service head at Lucknow about the various complaints about the notchy gear shifts. He suggested that they have experimented with replacing the OE clutch cable with that of the Classic 350 which is slightly longer and gives more play, which according to them has solved the issue, and suggested to me to try the same. So the dealership replaced the stock clutch cable with that of the Classic free of cost and asked me to take the test ride of my own bike. I was happy to note that finding neutral was not a issue any more and the gearshift was smooth. More can only commented after doing a few more miles after delivery. The original cable was also handed over to me as a spare. BTW, the bike did do a tyre burn out on first start! This bike has some serious torque! More to follow on this on my ownership thread.

Identifying the Month and Year of manufacture by the VIN (Chassis Number) - The year of manufacture is the 10th digit of the VIN while the month of manufacture is the 11th digit of the VIN. Decoding the Year - F=2015, G=2016 and so on. Month is decoded as A=Jan, B=Feb and so on (I and J are not used in the month coding). My 10th and 11th digits of the VIN were G and E which translated to May 2016 manufactured vehicle. All the 4 Himalayans in stock were May 2016, hence 2nd lot vehicles.

The bike was moved securely to the showroom for delivery and does it not look 'glam' with the saree guard removed

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-himalayan-pdi-13062016_23.jpg

More to come after delivery on Wednesday and then onwards to my ownership thread.

Cheers...

Last edited by dkaile : 13th June 2016 at 22:57.
dkaile is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 13th June 2016, 23:16   #279
Senior - BHPian

^^ Excellently compiled. The engine replacement policy seems good news, the term "Regional Manager" is what's confusing me. Here down South, the exact terminology is something that's shaved off of a Shakespeare's sonnet. I just hope this engine replacement scene applies across the board. Also just curious, did you try richening the fuel mixture? Too much hubs bubs about the back-fire, some say it's lean, some say, the hole is smaller but would love to get some color.

Glued!

Cheers!
VJ

Last edited by VijayAnand1 : 13th June 2016 at 23:19.
VijayAnand1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2016, 14:51   #280
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The oil was drained and 2L fresh oil and oil filter were replaced. Surprising to see this policy of RE to waste perfectly good engine oil.
Why do they changed the oil?

Hats off to the RE Showroom/Workshop for such detailed PDI service offered to you.

I am not sure about getting same treatment at local dealer.

Yesterday Local dealer "Prisha Motors" Denied TD to me.

Their reply "sir first book the bike then we will give you TD"

Bikes at the display were not even cleaned properly..
The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-wp_20160613_18_29_44_pro.jpg

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-wp_20160613_18_32_13_pro.jpg

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-wp_20160614_14_59_46_pro.jpg

BTW Accessories are mandatory.

Last edited by jeepster : 14th June 2016 at 15:06.
jeepster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th June 2016, 15:09   #281
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
PDI of Royal Enfield Himalayan

Cheers...
Congrats Dheeraj on getting delivery of your new Himalayan. Wish you miles of happiness with it and as usual shall be waiting for you to pen your own ownership thread on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
[/indent]BTW Accessories are mandatory.
What accessories are these? Can you please list them out?
Did you actually book the bike without a TD?
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2016, 15:09   #282
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VijayAnand1 View Post
Also just curious, did you try richening the fuel mixture? Too much hubs bubs about the back-fire, some say it's lean, some say, the hole is smaller
Well the mechanic adjusted the mixture screw to 2 and half turns from zero which he said is the correct settings for now. I did not hear any back fire in the short test ride that I took of my bike and the bike was riding smoothly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
Why do they changed the oil?

Hats off to the RE Showroom/Workshop for such detailed PDI service offered to you.

That's what I said, you need to ask RE why they change perfectly good engine oil before the bike has even started running... lolz.

Regarding PDI, like I said I have posted these details of the things that you 'should' get done during PDI, not necessarily what they 'actually' do. They did not even know the correct tyre pressure to be put in till I looked it up in the manual and got it fixed. You need to be pro-active to get things done to your satisfaction and not rely blindly on the workshop. In fact the mechanic quipped that he had never done such detailed PDI on a RE before...lolz, till I got it done from them. So be pro-active and demand your pound of flesh. That the dealer principal was a close friend, helped in no small measure.

Cheers...

Last edited by dkaile : 14th June 2016 at 15:11.
dkaile is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th June 2016, 15:17   #283
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
What accessories are these? Can you please list them out?
Did you actually book the bike without a TD?
Never asked about the accessories.

I have not booked the bike.
Old 14th June 2016, 15:30   #284
BHPian

[quote=jeepster;3996732]Why do they changed the oil?

Yesterday Local dealer "Prisha Motors" Denied TD to me.

Their reply "sir first book the bike then we will give you TD"
----------------------------------------------

Please write an email to customer service to Royal Enfield, customerservice@royalenfield.com, they will take 'Prisha Motors' for a ride, they cannot deny test ride, they can only deny if one does not hold a valid "Driving Licence" Please don't back off so easily.
Old 14th June 2016, 16:05   #285
Distinguished - BHPian

Was driving down from Chikmagalur to Bangalore sunday afternoon and just after A2B at udayapura, a bike joined the road. It looked like a triumph from a distance but then realised that it was a black himalayan. I was doing 100-120 kmph on this stretch and the himalayan was easily keeping company. Rumbler strips and even badly designed semi speed breaker rumblers did not pose a problem to the bike as it just seemed to glide over them at decent speed. After that the bike just vanished and I was unable to catch-up with it.

Thoroughly impressed with the bike and the rider who seemed to be in complete control even though a few cabs were trying to bully him
procrj is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks