Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2016, 20:55   #316
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellZee View Post
Hey Ayon. Can you please posts a pic of the aux lights that you've installed as I am planning the same for my Himalayan. The light is bright but somehow am used to aux lights, had them on my Classic as well as the TB500.
PS. I think we know each other, off the forum I mean.
I am attaching some snaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellZee View Post
PS. I think we know each other, off the forum I mean.
Hi am in ambala. Are u there too? Please pm me
Attached Thumbnails
The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-1466695357696.jpg  

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-1466695394167.jpg  

Last edited by Aditya : 24th June 2016 at 14:17. Reason: Merging back to back posts
ayon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2016, 09:47   #317
Senior - BHPian

re: The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMRT View Post
I have ridden Mojo and oh boy it does make its presence felt like no other.
Could you just explain to me the rationale of using a dual exhaust on a single cylinder engine on the Mojo?
dkaile is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2016, 10:23   #318
BHPian

The Royal Enfield Himalayan Test-Ride Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Could you just explain to me the rationale of using a dual exhaust on a single cylinder engine on the Mojo?

Weight balance sir!

As Jack says quote for quote, designers choose what they like to balance:

"Some have three and some have four. The exhaust system on a motorcycle is designed for a few different things: Effectively removing combustion gasses from the cylinders, moderating sound, providing ground clearance and good weight distribution, and looking good. Different designers will balance these different factors in different ways and come up with different designs."

It improves richness and style factor. But weight balance makes more sense in practical terms!
Old 24th June 2016, 10:30   #319
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Probably the same as having three horns on one motorcycle

Quote:
I have ridden Mojo and oh boy it does make its presence felt like no other.
There are tons of reviews out there. Most of the reviews I've read say that its not a clear choice, it all depends on your needs. Only one review (from Motorbeam) rates the Mojo higher than the Himalayan.

But yet, I have a simple and hopefully a fitting comparison.

The Mojo - Casio Edifice
The Himalayan - Casio G Shock.
Gordon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th June 2016, 10:41   #320
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Weight balance sir!
From what I have heard, it's just for looks rather than weight balance, because if it really was, it would have been a much better handler. The chassis is just not properly sorted out for these additions. If anything, it has been criticized for adding this unnecessary additional weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
Probably the same as having three horns on one motorcycle
Hahaha. You got me there didn't you. But seriously, adding something that just hampers performance is a much bigger crime than a aesthetically unappealing 3rd horn, which btw can be easily removed once the Road Runner euphoria settles down... Lolz.

Cheers...

Last edited by dkaile : 24th June 2016 at 10:46.
dkaile is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 24th June 2016, 13:52   #321
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Weight balance sir!
Oh thank god finally someone figured it out. All those silly sport bikes running around with single exhausts all dis balanced and wonky, including them MotoGP bikes!!!!

You may like a product and that's fine and all, but don't say stuff for the sake of saying stuff man; c'mon!
Urban_Nomad is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th June 2016, 14:09   #322
BHPian

Thank You dkaile and Ayon. I'm on the job.
@dkaile. That was a pro job done and very helpful. I'll post pics of aux lights on my Himalayan in a couple of days. Saw a pic on some forum where the aux lights have been put on extended plates welded to the front number plate holder with the advantage that the lights turn with the handle. I wonder how that works out. In the little night riding that I've done in the last couple of days, a couple of hundred kms in the hills towards Kasauli, never once did I feel that the lighting was inadequate, on the turns or otherwise. The headlight not turning takes some getting used to but it hardly affects the throw IMHO.
ShellZee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2016, 21:29   #323
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
Oh thank god finally someone figured it out. All those silly sport bikes running around with single exhausts all dis balanced and wonky, including them MotoGP bikes!!!!You may like a product and that's fine and all, but don't say stuff for the sake of saying stuff man; c'mon!
No matter what you or I say, here is the authentic reason behind that twin exhaust- Champ!

http://www.mahindra.com/news-room/pr...-launches-mojo

"The twin-exhaust system is specially designed to produce a unique note."

http://overdrive.in/reviews/mahindra...d-test-review/

"The sole reason Mahindra retained the twin exhausts from the concept bike was so they could engineer a unique exhaust note"

Guys ....don't complain you are getting two for no additional price. Just get rid of one and move on if you don't like the additional one.
Old 24th June 2016, 21:52   #324
Senior - BHPian

So within a span of under 12 hours, we have gone from -

Quote:
Weight balance sir!

............But weight balance makes more sense in practical terms!
To -

Quote:

"The sole reason Mahindra retained the twin exhausts from the concept bike was so they could engineer a unique exhaust note"
Had you said "nice sound" or something in the previous post and not the snake oil pitch of "weight balance" or whatever; there would be no argument

Quote:
Guys ....don't complain you are getting two for no additional price. Just get rid of one and move on if you don't like the additional one.
HOW .... Do you get rid of one exhaust and as you put it ..... move on (shoot, smiley limit over). Take a hacksaw to it? Forget about anyone moving on from that, including the bike

BTW, it Would have totally blown the VFM factor to mammoth proportions if they somehow added a 3rd exhaust also. Per your post - more the merrier, right?

I for one am not complaining about the twin exhaust or whatever on the Mojo in my previous post. My complaint is only and only about your comments on weight savings and dynamics

Last edited by Urban_Nomad : 24th June 2016 at 21:59.
Urban_Nomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2016, 22:18   #325
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
HOW .... Do you get rid of one exhaust and as you put it ..... move on (shoot, smiley limit over). Take a hacksaw to it? Forget about anyone moving on from that, including the bike
This is where I get the impression that it can be removed:

http://www.bikesindia.org/reviews/5-...ndra-mojo.html

"dual exhaust canisters, however, this additional weight could easily be avoided by simply omitting the extra muffler"

The balancing reason was my own justification based on the heaviness felt while test riding Mojo.
Old 25th June 2016, 08:15   #326
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This is where I get the impression that it can be removed:

http://www.bikesindia.org/reviews/5-...ndra-mojo.html

"dual exhaust canisters, however, this additional weight could easily be avoided by simply omitting the extra muffler"

The balancing reason was my own justification based on the heaviness felt while test riding Mojo.
It can't be removed by you unless you convert the set up into a single canister full exhaust set up which should set you back by quite a pretty penny. What the author in the article meant is the company should have launched the bike with a single canister set up instead of what it is currently.

What mahindra did was to be a little different in their approach to how the bike looks and sounds from the rest of the crowd. The folks who have bought the bike seem pretty pleased with the package, and that's that.

When I read your first post in this series, I honestly assumed you were sarcastic. Didn't know you were serious. No harm done though
Old 25th June 2016, 15:59   #327
BHPian

Quote:

Yes, and Mahindra did a great job there. Most of the modern motorcycles lack the "sound" (not Sound Level) to match their looks. KTM Dukes come to mind. Mojo sounds great with those twins.

-- Torqy
Old 25th June 2016, 21:38   #328
BHPian

I got my snow Himalayan this week and have a done a couple of hundred kms on it so far. Everything that has to be said about the Himalayan has been said and documented a dozen times over so will save you the repeat . I went into it with my eyes wide open and am a very happy buyer. That said, there are a few irritants and I am hoping the experts here can chime in:

1. Notchy Gears: Shift from 1-5 is notchy consistently. Hard to find N. Is there a solution to this issue - seems completely out of place in a modern built-from-ground-up bike!

2. Gear Ratios - Near heard anyone complain about this in any reviews. Let me try my best to explain. Fifth in city seems hard to use, as the engine knocks at speeds of 40ish@5th. However, when driving faster in a open road I am left searching for a 6th gear! Somehow not happy with the 5th gear as it seems neither here not there. Does anyone else think the same?

3. Cold start: Seems to want a choke on a cold start..why?

4. Power: I did not test the top-end or cruise for long as my bike is new. However, the pickup seems low. Not sure if I am comparing it against my car - which is my primary drive but it is always slower than I expect.

5. Service: I bought it at Teknik motors, Sarjapur Rd, Bangalore - The customer executive left a lot to be desired (a guy named Raju). Please find someone else if you end up going there.

6. Service/RE : Did not get the manual (apparently was out of stock. How can the bike be in stock but manual out of stock? I was told the service interval is 5K (after the 1st 500km service) but read online that it is 10K? Also are there any free services?

The one positive surprise for me is the maneuverability of the bike. Very agile and easy to drive in traffic unlike REs. All said, does it make me smile when I look at it - YES, does it make me want to ride it again - YES!
rohing is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th June 2016, 23:42   #329
BHPian

Welcome to the ever burgeoning Himalayan Club.
Your initial analysis is spot on. The gears are notchy but a solution is already available on the forum. Just swap the clutch wire with that of a classic 350. Works like a charm. The bike seems underpowered at first but give it some time. I have been uphill twice in the last week and it feels like the whole package is designed for the hills with a good grunty engine output. The pick up is a teeny weeny bit disappointing, agreed but like I said I'm not writing it off as yet. Let the engine run in and get into its element. Another spot on observation is agility, manoeuvrability. Though I find my other ride, TB500 supremely comfortable the ease of riding on this is a whole different ball game.
All this however fades into oblivion though once you get on the bike. All this is semantics eventually. Happy Riding.
ShellZee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th June 2016, 15:12   #330
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohing View Post
1. Notchy Gears: Shift from 1-5 is notchy consistently. Hard to find N. Is there a solution to this issue - seems completely out of place in a modern built-from-ground-up bike!

2. Gear Ratios - Near heard anyone complain about this in any reviews. Let me try my best to explain. Fifth in city seems hard to use, as the engine knocks at speeds of 40ish@5th. However, when driving faster in a open road I am left searching for a 6th gear! Somehow not happy with the 5th gear as it seems neither here not there. Does anyone else think the same?

3. Cold start: Seems to want a choke on a cold start..why?

4. Power: I did not test the top-end or cruise for long as my bike is new. However, the pickup seems low. Not sure if I am comparing it against my car - which is my primary drive but it is always slower than I expect.

5. Service: I bought it at Teknik motors, Sarjapur Rd, Bangalore - The customer executive left a lot to be desired (a guy named Raju). Please find someone else if you end up going there.

6. Service/RE : Did not get the manual (apparently was out of stock. How can the bike be in stock but manual out of stock? I was told the service interval is 5K (after the 1st 500km service) but read online that it is 10K? Also are there any free services?
Welcome to the 'Himalayan' goat family!! Lolz...

1. Solution has already been told to you. Had you read the previous few pages, you would have got it there too. Do it NOW.

2. Also told previously. Anyhow, the 5th gear is NOT happy below 60kmph. If you do not use the gears judiciously you will get knocking. So the game is to shift appropriately to this engine and gearbox combo and not according to the bikes previously used by you. And let the engine break-in properly and 120 should not be a issue in this gear.

3. Why not?

4. Sufficient for our roads. Read my ownership thread for details.

5. Search for another dealership or there are lots of mechanics of RE around. It will be a simple bike to run and maintain.

6. Service Interval is 5k and oil change interval is 10k. Same has also been validated in the owners manual. Though I would suggest you to get the oil changed @5k intervals for now. 4 Services are FREE (till 15k) while the consumables are chargeable. First service+Oil change at 500kms or a month. After that every 6 months of 5k kms.

Cheers....

Last edited by dkaile : 26th June 2016 at 15:13.
dkaile is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks