Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2016, 07:28   #466
BHPian

I think the mod has taken place in Coimbatore... My guess is from seeing the building.... Nothing else 😀
Old 20th September 2016, 09:42   #467
CGB
BHPian

re: The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcalad View Post
Gentlemen, necessity is the mother of invention.
Every-single-thing has been lifted from D390. However, the workmanship is immaculate and clever. He used all the Duke parts right from shifter rod, indicators, centre console, engine, coolant reservoir etc. The sprocket setup seems to be a different one as the one on a D390.

In all ways, it's a lesson for KTM to launch the ADV model and for enfield to increase the engine output.
Old 21st September 2016, 10:56   #468
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki View Post
Can the Himalayan chassis handle the 43 horses?
Rather than the Chassis handling the 43 horses, Does the KTM Engine have sufficient torque to bear the weight of the Himalayan chassis before the power band kicks in?
KTM Engine is designed more for the light weight chassis rather than the heavy setup of the Himalayan.

From the surroundings looks like Hyderabad

KTM Duke 390 : 42.8 hp at 6980 rev / min, 3.8 kgm at 5750 rev / min
RE Himalayan: 24.8 hp at 6600 Rev / min, 32 NM B/W 4000 to 4500 rev / min

3.8 KGM = 37.2 NM.

So the Duke makes its peak Torque at a higher revs which the bike might not be exposed in every day riding.

Last edited by ku69rd : 21st September 2016 at 11:03.
Old 21st September 2016, 12:39   #469
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post

So the Duke makes its peak Torque at a higher revs which the bike might not be exposed in every day riding.
I am wondering if the weight of the Himalayan negates any advantage that the KTM engine brings.
One point with this engine is that the off roading capabilities of the Himalayan is lost to an extent and it would be more of a cruiser, but would it cruise at higher speeds than the actual Himalayan is my doubt and will the higher weight of the bike put a load on the engine that it may not perform as expected.

Having said that, this is a clean swap and does not look weird in any way.

Last edited by tharian : 21st September 2016 at 12:42.
Old 21st September 2016, 13:43   #470
Senior - BHPian

Hi Guys,

I have done first free service today. As usual Oil and Oil filter have been changed. There's no immediate change in engine note or smoothness. Hope i have to ride more kms to feel the change.

I have requested to remove the saree guard. unfortunately it has not been done as service folks told that after removing the guard, chain cover hasn't been tighten back due to bolt.

Do anyone has faced the same issue and how come you guys fixed it.
Old 21st September 2016, 14:06   #471
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Having said that, this is a clean swap and does not look weird in any way.
Yes, it looks a clean swap no second thoughts on that.
Feel that the charm of Duke 390 engine in its current tune will be lost as it has to cope up with added weight. Anyways he has done it well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aks_karthik View Post
chain cover hasn't been tighten back due to bolt.
You would need to put in a 4 or 5 size washer in the front of the chain cover to hold it fast there. Am not too sure if it needs a nut to hold it securely.
ku69rd is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2016, 16:29   #472
BHPian

I have been riding the Duke for almost 3 years now and the itch for new bike is just starting. My primary concern with Duke right now are the uncomfortable seating for rider and pillion. Due to this me and wife have almost stopped going on long distance rides and prefering the car everytime. The other is the high strung nature of the bike which wants to be ridden at high speeds all the time.
With the glowing reviews of Himalayan decided to test ride the bike today. All bellow are my views only and with background of having ridden D390 and C500 before that:

1. RE has improved by leaps and bound in the way they build and assemble their bikes. Himalayan looks very well built and put together. All the welds were clean, cables nicely bundled and the entire bike has neat look.
2. The bike is big - long but not very wide. Having said that it is quiet nimble to ride. Offcourse not as easy as Duke to throw around but quiet good.
3. Himalayan maybe the most comfortable bike I have ever ridden. The comfort level over the D390 is immense.
4. The engine is definitely RE in terms of noise and roughness. It immediately reminded me of my C500 but it does not have the thump or the torque to compensate.
5. Sadly after the D390 and even the C500, the power and torque just does not excite at all. Still the bike looks OK for all day crusing at 90-100.
6. The first and second gears were hard but quiet acceptable.

The engine is the big let down from the Himalayan. It should atleast match the figures of C500 or Continental GT. Another glaring problem is the lack of ABS. I dont really care about EFI/Carburator as long as it does not affect the ride quality.

The showroom I visited was Kings Autorider at Baner Pune. The sales guys was ok-ok - atleast he did not try to BS me about the bike. However I am not 100% sure but the test ride offered to me was maybe a customer bike which had come in for servicing. After the ride I noticed that the bike had Tamil Nadu number plates. When I talked this and about the roughness of the engine, the sales guys talked something about servicing and in general he was quiet evasive so I am not sure but it left a bad taste in my mouth.

Last edited by timuseravan : 8th October 2016 at 16:43. Reason: Clarity and typo
Old 8th October 2016, 19:21   #473
Senior - BHPian

I too have upgraded/degraded from KTM 390.
I have bought Himalayan for the same purpose as you are looking for.
KTM 390 is a big let down for pillion rider.
Himalayan is 100% a tourer with pillion all the day.
I have done almost 750 kms with my wife and both of them have really enjoyed the ride.
Only grouse is the power. After having 390, definitely most the bikes feel very under power.
Himalayan's power is not adequate for single and worst with pillion rider.
Don't get it wrong. I am asking little bit more from bike to cruise at 100-120 kmph day long.
Rest everything is a big plus for Himalayan and VFM for sure.
Though it comes from RE stable, bike is totally a different beast from rest of RE line up.
City and highway rides are more pleasurable and not to give much attention to road conditions.
Good FE up to 30 kmpl and 80-100 kmph is a cake walk. After 100, we could feel the vibrations but we ride easily till 120-125.
More power could be better to enjoy highway rides with pillion.
Try TD with wife and decide. You won't repent for selecting this bike.

Last edited by aks_karthik : 8th October 2016 at 19:25.
aks_karthik is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2016, 17:12   #474

Hi All,
I'm an silent member of this esteemed forum since 2007. I'm extremely passionate about cars and bikes ever since i remember. I've been bikeless since 2014 ever since I sold off my Ninja 250 after been diagnosed with disc bulge in my lower back.

Now that my back has recovered significantly, the urge to get back on 2 wheels was increasing by the day. My budget was 2 lakhs and was mulling various options within RE stable and outside.

Last saturday decided to visit RE Brand Store in Besant nagar, Chennai. Asked for a test ride of Thunderbird 500 and Himalayan. No fuss from the sales person(Mr.Sai). He just asked my driving license copy with my sign. Nice young chap, soft spoken and eager.

First test rode TB-500 which was vibrating a lot from start. Riding position felt strange at first since this was quite opposite to my earlier rides. Didn't get impressed by the overall experience. Also, it was missing both rearview mirrors.

Second was an black Himalayan which was much smoother all throughout the ride. Suspension was awesome . Good pickup and decent braking. Both my test rides were short (less than a KM) on the smooth Besant nagar roads with 2 speed breakers in between.

I came from the test ride and decided to book the Snow white Himalayan on the spot by paying Rs.5000 through Debit card. I was promised delivery within one month which felt alright to me. But two days ago, I got a call from the RE brand store informing that my bike has arrived and I've to pay the remaining 1.71 lacs and submit docs/photos for Rto process. I was pleasantly surprised at this. Just 6 days after booking
But my request to inspect the bike before it goes to RTO was rejected which left me disappointed very much. Hence, I dropped an email to RE customer care through thier website yesteday. Surprised to get an email today from them with contact details of thier brand store manager Mr.Selvam, who turned out to be a very nice person and was eager to hear me out.

Today I visited brand store to pay the balance amount. Mr.Selvam immediately had his people bring 3 brand new white Himalayan from warehouse and asked to check all of them and choose one. I was happy to see that all three bikes were september manufactured (chassis number check). I choose one and noted down the chassis no. I was promised delivery before Deepavali. Overall, I'm very happy about RE's customer centric approach.

Thanks for reading my rather long post. Bye.
senthildsk is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2016, 18:29   #475
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by senthildsk View Post
Overall, I'm very happy about RE's customer centric approach. .
Firstly congratulations on the Himalayan, it indeed is a great bike.

Secondly, yes even I have seen a great change in the attitude of RE staff. This makes the overall buying experience very pleasurable and memorable.

They gave you a choice, that's good, maybe the classic 350 buyers might not get this privilege to choose a bike because of sheer number of sales.

Do keep us posted with your experiences with RE and Himalayan ownership. Once you get the bike please post the pics too.

Cheers and Happy Riding Sir !
Old 22nd October 2016, 20:25   #476

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great View Post
Firstly congratulations on the Himalayan, it indeed is a great bike.
Thanks The Great. Hopefully, I'll get my bike before Deepavali.
senthildsk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2016, 21:41   #477
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by senthildsk View Post
Hi All,
---- after been diagnosed with disc bulge in my lower back.

Now that my back has recovered significantly, the urge to get back on 2 wheels was increasing by the day. ---.
. Senthil, would like to know your recovery process for the disc bulge as I am in the same boat. Could not send a private message, hence quoting in this thread.

cheers
Old 23rd October 2016, 13:52   #478

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZedMae View Post
. Senthil, would like to know your recovery process for the disc bulge as I am in the same boat. Could not send a private message, hence quoting in this thread.

cheers
Hi ZedMae, I did the stretching and back strengthening exercises taught by my physiotherapist. Even though I didn't do it regularly, it did make a difference.
senthildsk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2016, 16:46   #479
BHPian

I test-rode the Himalyan recently. Definitely among the most comfortable bikes I've ridden. In my opinion, a far better tourer than the Thunderbird, which has awkward seating and handlebar positions for me (6'2", 80kg).

The clutch on the test-ride model was very hard, which the staff told me was due to the actions of other test-riders treating it quite harsh. As an ADV, I expected it to handle that a bit better, but having seen many test-drive vehicles in a similar state, I can give it the benefit of the doubt.

That aside, I found it to be a quite capable bike. Very enjoyable to ride and definitely a good instrument cluster for RE. Good low end torque, though it could have done with a couple more bhp. I guess I'll be zeroing in on this one in the coming year.
The_Mad_Hatter is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th October 2016, 14:31   #480
BHPian

I have been following the two popular threads of the Himalayan and have a request- apparently from October onwards, a so called v3.0 of the Himalayan is out, with many issues that it had ironed out.
Smoother gear changes, reduced 'tappet' sound, steadier fuel average 26 city- 32/34 highway.
I am now planning on encashing my initial deposit and buying the bike after RM2016- would anyone here know what the changes carried out are?
What the said improvements are?
Post my last comments on the accident in the Leh Area, I was visiting there at the end of August and the constant complaint from every one was the lack of power. RE has sold 10 or 12 bikes and then the euphoria wore out in Leh and the showroom was back to selling 350s and a sprinkling of 500s.
In my mind, I am settled on the problem- the chassis and suspension are too good for the engine and no matter what the engine puts out, the bike is just too calm and composed and that makes it (lack of power) look ten times worse than it is. I am at peace with this state of affairs.
Hope, I got my point across.
So, anyone with the knowledge of the improvements in v3.0- please write in a note here. Am more interested in knowing that its a mechanically sounder bike.
Thanks.

Last edited by Hammer & Anvil : 24th October 2016 at 14:34. Reason: Spellings.
Hammer & Anvil is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks