Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2016, 12:03   #451
Senior - BHPian

re: The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer & Anvil View Post
Anyone with confirmed news on this >2000 bike 'upgrades.'
During my last visit to the Showroom, did find that the new bikes have the revised rocker arm and clutch kit. They are remarkably silent which reminded of the Honda Unicorn engines. Gears are pretty much smooth.

My bike post the 'recall' and exchange of parts has indeed become very silent.

Not too sure on the two bikes with broken forks which is indeed news. Have been following quite a few online forums and have failed to come across this piece of information. Do share the source please
ku69rd is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th August 2016, 14:59   #452
Senior - BHPian

Seems like Himalayan is being liked most by people from Karnataka! Quoting from the article.

Quote:
According to a report from carandbike, the Himalayan is a big hit in Karnataka. Out of every four units sold in India, one is sold in Karnataka.

Royal Enfield has sold 4,000 units of the Royal Enfield Himalayan in the country so far, as per the report. This means that at least 1,000 units have been sold in Karnataka within less than half a year from the motorcycle’s launch. Karnataka is also the second largest domestic market for the company in entirety. There are currently 48 Royal Enfield dealerships in Karnataka and this number is planned to be increased to 56 by the end of this fiscal year.
Source & Link : Indian Autos Blog
Old 27th August 2016, 00:03   #453
BHPian

For prospective buyers, existing owners, or just enthusiasts, this might be worth a read :
http://www.mirror.co.uk/lifestyle/mo...rebar_facebook

Neel
petrolhead_neel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th September 2016, 14:19   #454
Senior - BHPian

Hi All,

I have ridden the Himalayan for 350 Kms, on all kind of roads, on Saturday, to Pondicherry and then back to chennai.

The Bike is very planted and nimble as told earlier. Power could be a little more to provide good support while overtaking fast vehicles.
Brakes are too good for the new bike and we could ride the bike between 100-120 kmph all through the day, without too much sweat.
The ride was almost non stop and completed in almost 5 Hrs.

I have done some off road ride near to a lake bed and realized how simple it is to ride this bike over gradients, slush and mud as well to just glide over the potholes.

Compared to KTM 390, the ride is very much composed and the only grouse is the low power. Is there any way to increase the power output by some 10 bhp, say by modifying the exhaust or by tweaking the carb or some other workarounds?

After finishing the ride, I have noticed some oil stains near the cylinder head. Will ask the service team to address it in next service, unless it increases in the next trip on the coming weekends in which case it may need an immediate attention. It seems like it's a known issue and already some of the members have raised it earlier and needs a re torque of the cylinder head to arrest the leakage.

I am very much happy and satisfied to have bought this wonderful machine.

Some snaps during the trip.

@Pondy
The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-himalayan2.jpg
The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-himalayan3.jpg

@Maduranthakkam Lake
The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-himalayan5.jpg
The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-himalayan1.jpg
The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-himalayan4.jpg

Last edited by Zappo : 4th November 2016 at 14:28. Reason: Please check your post for grammatical errors and spelling mistakes before you make the submission. Post edited.
aks_karthik is offline   (3) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 18th September 2016, 22:46   #455
BHPian

Guys, for those who are online now, you can watch a great test ride on Foxlife channel now, till 11 pm, Kalki's Great Escape. by Kalki Koechlin and her father, riding two Himalayans in the mountains off Guwahati. Tune in quick.
FarPatel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2016, 18:50   #456
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarPatel View Post
Guys, for those who are online now, you can watch a great test ride on Foxlife channel now, till 11 pm, Kalki's Great Escape. by Kalki Koechlin and her father, riding two Himalayans in the mountains off Guwahati. Tune in quick.
Watched the first episode on Sat evening, was a bit disappointed to see that this episode had only little time for the bikes,roads and the ride. Hopefully the next episodes will contain more footage about the bikes and the ride.
Old 19th September 2016, 19:14   #457
BHPian

Gentlemen, necessity is the mother of invention.
Attached Thumbnails
The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-img20160919wa0022.jpg  

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-img20160919wa0021.jpg  

barcalad is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 19th September 2016, 19:44   #458
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcalad View Post
Wow ! I had to check twice to realise that even the power train had been transplanted. Yours ?
indivic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2016, 20:45   #459
Distinguished - BHPian

Theres your KTM 390 Adventure gentlemen! Bloody hell. Looks like someone somewhere got pretty mad and decided to take things into their own hands. Not India though.

Now that's a bike I would get to go off riding around in. No royal enfield decals anywhere. Win in my books.

The only damn thing that's good on this bike is the chassis and suspension. Both of which the guys in India had not a dime to their names on in it. Its a wonderful bike done in - in the name of price and lethargy.

Last edited by Red Liner : 19th September 2016 at 20:51.
Red Liner is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th September 2016, 21:48   #460
BHPian

Quote:
Awesome, awesome!

Eagerly awaiting more details. How difficult was the job? How is the Himalayan supporting the 390's engine and powertrain? Can you tell us about the roadblocks faced?

The news has become quite famous already. Here's an article on Motoroids.

RE can't give us the proper engine in the right chassis? KTM can't give us the 390 Adventure? Well, who cares? Here is THE motorcycle. Kudos to whoever who did the job.

Neel

P.S.: The console looks good too!
petrolhead_neel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2016, 21:58   #461
BHPian

Quote:
Royal Salute - Now since you have teased us please be kind and upload a video, share all the details.

Your share price value just went up in our forum sir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead_neel View Post
Awesome, awesome!

Eagerly awaiting more details. How difficult was the job? How is the Himalayan supporting the 390's engine and powertrain? Can you tell us about the roadblocks faced?

The news has become quite famous already. Here's an article on Motoroids.

RE can't give us the proper engine in the right chassis? KTM can't give us the 390 Adventure? Well, who cares? Here is THE motorcycle. Kudos to whoever who did the job.

Neel

P.S.: The console looks good too!

The article itself says its Barcalad's bike.

Last edited by GTO : 20th September 2016 at 08:45. Reason: Merging back to back posts
The Great is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2016, 21:59   #462
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indivic View Post
Wow ! I had to check twice to realise that even the power train had been transplanted. Yours ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Theres your KTM 390 Adventure gentlemen! Bloody hell. Looks like someone somewhere got pretty mad and decided to take things into their own hands. Not India though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead_neel View Post
Awesome, awesome!

Eagerly awaiting more details.
Ain't my ride folks nor am I remotely related to it. Just got it as a forward.
My personal opinion - Fabulous job.
barcalad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2016, 22:56   #463
BHPian

The Royal Enfield Himalayan Test-Ride Thread

Quote:

Pure Awesomeness !! I too own a Himalayan and am keen on upgrading the drive train. I am considering a Renthal rear sprocket setup but don't know which one to pick as the sprocket bolting patterns may differ. Can anyone please guide me pick one? What I have been able to decode so far is the stock pitch size .520 and 15/38T sprocket setup

Last edited by Rajiv0909 : 19th September 2016 at 22:57.
Old 19th September 2016, 23:14   #464
BHPian

So, I have been facing this weird handling issue.

First there was this handlebar sorta jamming at low speeds (< 30 km/h). So I went to service centre, they said it was a tight handle bar. The mechanic loosened the steering stem nut and upper fork pinch bolts, and rotated the adjustment collar. Unsurprisingly it did not fix this issue. And I felt this weird play in the handling where at low speeds (again < 30 km/h), the handlebar went left and right alternatively, like a pendulum, but not that quickly and neither with a large degree of rotation. The bike swayed left and right alternatively.

I contacted RE, they put me in touch with the regional service manager. But I never got a chance to visit the service centre again after that with as I was loaded with work since then. I finally got a chance to go today morning.

I left the bike with them, they said they'd replace the cone set assembly. When they dropped the bike in the evening, handling felt even worse. The swaying of the bike was even more pronounced, this time going upto 40-45 km/h. Didn't face any jamming yet, but I'd be looking at that again to see how it behaves.

For now, I'm contacting the RSM again, and lets see how it goes from there.

Any clues what it could be? Maybe the adjustment collar is too loose, or they didn't really replace the cone set?
Old 20th September 2016, 00:40   #465
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Looks like somewhere in India only . Clues - old gen Hyundai Sonata, Exide StanQueen battery etc.

What happens when a Duke 390 and RE Himalayan do it after watching Dracula and Frankenstein videos eh? Can the Himalayan chassis handle the 43 horses? The guy who did the mod job is hinting at the biggest weakness in the Himalayan - the engine 10/10 for the effort though.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks