Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th October 2016, 09:11   #481
BHPian

re: The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer & Anvil View Post
Post my last comments on the accident in the Leh Area, I was visiting there at the end of August and the constant complaint from every one was the lack of power. RE has sold 10 or 12 bikes and then the euphoria wore out in Leh and the showroom was back to selling 350s and a sprinkling of 500s.
In my mind, I am settled on the problem- the chassis and suspension are too good for the engine and no matter what the engine puts out, the bike is just too calm and composed and that makes it (lack of power) look ten times worse than it is. I am at peace with this state of affairs.
For some one coming from 150cc or lower will not have any complaints w.r.t. power but most people switching to himalayan would be coming from previous bullets or dukes and certainly have higher expectations. The best option would be for RE to introduce a higher powered variant (preferably with Continental GT engine) and price that 30k or so higher than the current one.
timuseravan is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 4th November 2016, 13:38   #482

I believe all would agree with Timuseravan and Hammer & Anvil with the power factor. This is a solid bike with just one shortcoming... Power, which is expected from RE stable. Paying 20-30K more for a fuel injection model would not hurt the perspective buyers and RE will save their product from becoming unpopular.
Old 5th November 2016, 02:26   #483
Distinguished - BHPian

There is a rumor that the Himalayan is going to be exported to the USA in the near future.

I could be wrong but I don't see how a motorcycle with an old fashioned carburetor could possibly pass the Department of Transportation (DOT) emission requirements.

This leads me to believe Royal Enfield must have a fuel injection system developed for the motorcycle and if this is true, it would be logical for them to offer it to the Indian market.

I doubt that a FI system would do much if anything to increase the power output of the engine but if RE would couple it with a cam change it easily could.
Old 5th November 2016, 11:51   #484
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
I doubt that a FI system would do much if anything to increase the power output of the engine but if RE would couple it with a cam change it easily could.
True - FI on its own can only improve the emissions and fuel consumption.
RE engines are generally oversquare with short strokes and heavier flywheel. I doubt cam change can also increase power significantly. They have to launch a bigger displacement engine - atleast from C500.

Last edited by timuseravan : 5th November 2016 at 11:57.
Old 9th November 2016, 23:37   #485
BHPian

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/n...alers-in-2017/

one of the lines from this article:
Quote:
To pass Euro4 we had to change this to fuel injection along with adding ABS, an automatic headlight and different tyres.
hoping India too soon gets the goodie-rich model !
pcpranav is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th November 2016, 16:58   #486
Senior - BHPian

Hi All,

Anyone tried this exhaust. looks promising and hope for some 5 to 10 BHP.
But asking price is little higher side.

http://motogarage.in/greasehouse-grunt-himalayan/545/#

The 1st-gen Royal Enfield Himalayan thread!-himalayan-exhaust.jpg
Old 16th November 2016, 20:29   #487
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aks_karthik View Post
Hi All,

Anyone tried this exhaust. looks promising and hope for some 5 to 10 BHP.
But asking price is little higher side.

http://motogarage.in/greasehouse-grunt-himalayan/545/#

Attachment 1576005
How different is this from the re factory optional that retails for under 4K? That too is SS from what I know , only a dyno comparison will help. Btw 5-10 bhp increase is impossible , 2-2.5 Bhp at max (10% gain) with a perf exhaust swap

Last edited by howler : 16th November 2016 at 20:31.
howler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2016, 14:56   #488
BHPian

I went to book up TB350 and also test rode the Himalayan. Within one test ride, Himalayan was such a delight (ride, handling and the engine response). My family was for the TB and hence booked TB350. But I still can't forget the ride in Himalayan. Though I can convince them to take Himalayan, the show stopper for me is the height of the bike. I am 5'8" but with a short legs and tall upper body. I found Himalayan a bit uncomfortable to get on and get off :(

Any options to reduce the height of the seat by couple of inches?
Old 18th November 2016, 01:54   #489
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sridhar K View Post
You can visit any of the seat makers and cut some of the upper portion of the seat. But better verify it before taking the plunge.
rakesh_r is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2016, 07:36   #490
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sridhar K View Post

Altering the seat will hardly make a difference. The difference is just 25mm.

Moreover the seat height on the Himalayan is not as thick as some other models and they are designed in a way to provide comfort to the backside on long trips.
tharian is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2016, 10:57   #491
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
You can visit any of the seat makers and cut some of the upper portion of the seat. But better verify it before taking the plunge.
No I don't think cutting seats is an option here. The seats are quite thin and it will be worse if they are halved.
The best option is to evaluate the usage of slightly heeled shoes since the rear suspension cannot be adjusted for height.
ku69rd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2016, 10:47   #492
BHPian

There is no margin for error or shaving the foam on the H seat. So that option is out.
The bike is meant for women and men riders who are down to almost 5'3" - so wearing looser trousers of jeans will help you and then the use of shoes with a better/thicker heel will do wonders- and if you google- boots for short riders, you would find your answer.
You should worry more about the power in the engine, and watching it get trounced by every bike- the 350s and the 500s in the 'off road' races at the recently concluded Rider Mania, it was a horror to note that the only thing good in the bike is the suspension, that most people in India equate tragically to being a superb bike.
Hammer & Anvil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2016, 12:35   #493
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You should worry more about the power in the engine, and watching it get trounced by every bike- the 350s and the 500s in the 'off road' races at the recently concluded Rider Mania,
Wow...seriously? I knew that the Himalayan is no match for the 500s in outright speed, but even 350s? Were the 350s modded or were they plain stock?

And also I feel that UCE engines are around for some time and people would be way ahead in modding them when compared to the Himalayan engines?

I might be wrong though but nevertheless felt like putting in my query...
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2016, 15:12   #494
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There is no margin for error ~ the 350s and the 500s
I have yet to see stock RE's 350s and 500s trounce the Himalayan's 400 in performance. I extensively test rode it back to back with a TB 500 and it was nowhere near it, either in performance or refinement. I am surprised by your observations.

Cheers...
Old 22nd November 2016, 17:21   #495
BHPian

Quote:
You should worry more about the power in the engine, and watching it get trounced by every bike- the 350s and the 500s in the 'off road' races at the recently concluded Rider Mania, it was a horror to note that the only thing good in the bike is the suspension, that most people in India equate tragically to being a superb bike.
In the 3rd lap of the final round at RM, the Himalayan was lapped once by the leader. Which was sad to see although the last 2 races were super exciting to see. There was only 1 himalayan out of all the races to qualify for the final round which in itself speaks for the power shortage.

I agree with your comments on the power of the Himalayan sir, the bike does feel and looked very under-powered but I guess probably the riders didn't prep it for the race particularly whereas all the 350's and 500's looked to have serious mods for the race.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
I have yet to see stock RE's 350s and 500s trounce the Himalayan's 400 in performance. I extensively test rode it back to back with a TB 500 and it was nowhere near it, either in performance or refinement. I am surprised by your observations.

Cheers...
We came back from Goa to Mumbai yesterday and I could easily overtake the Himalayan sir. I own the Classic 500.

In no way I am questioning your bonfide sir, I respect you a lot, but these were my observations yesterday on the highway. The Himalayan sure is a decent performer stock but as I said, I could easily overtake a fully throttled Himalayan with my stock Efi 500. We never ride more than 90/110 kmph constantly but these were short power bursts on the given superb highway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Wow...seriously? I knew that the Himalayan is no match for the 500s in outright speed, but even 350s? Were the 350s modded or were they plain stock?

And also I feel that UCE engines are around for some time and people would be way ahead in modding them when compared to the Himalayan engines?

I might be wrong though but nevertheless felt like putting in my query...
Exactly !

All the race bikes were modded as you said, most of them being the 350's and probably since the Himalayan is very new they haven't tried anything on the engine yet.

Moreso the riders were very good. The himalayan riders looked more conservative compared to the UCE riders as the bikes were thrashed very harshly around the corners and on the track to gain position.

Last edited by Aditya : 24th November 2016 at 08:07. Reason: Back to back posts merged

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks