Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2016, 19:42   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: 150cc bike to replace the RX135 - Which one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
Need for New bike

Bikes Considered
1) Honda Hornet
2) Yamaha FZ
3) Suzuki Gixxer
4) TVS Apache RTR
5) Bajaj V
6) Bajaj Avenger
I echo the sentiments of most people here

Buying new - hands down the NS 200. Every single bike you have listed in your opening post cannot hold a candle to the overall package that is the NS. And how about that price!!! I particularly dislike the avenger. Just everything about that bike is wrong IMO

Open to buying used - Get the Duke 200. An amazing bike that will keep you happy for a long time. I would also throw in a used CBR 250 in the mix, if you are willing to up your budget by around 20%

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Another bike to consider is Karizma. Its actually a fun bike to ride around and has killer looks.
You probably are the one single person on this planet who thinks the Karizma has "killer looks".......... Unless you meant that it can kill with an overdose of ugly
Urban_Nomad is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 20th April 2016, 23:02   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Little background:
Looking at your experience and the budget and your required Fuel efficiency, I would suggest you to go for Avenger 220 instead of 150. The reason for this, it won't disappoint you at your Budget as it comes within 1 lakh on-road. Also it gives 40 kmpl for sure in city ride (As I am getting the same FE with my new Avenger 220). And most importantly as I can see, you are a fan of old Yamaha family, then Avenger gives the same pleasure in terms of pick up, ride and handling.
pkothak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2016, 23:46   #33
KYG

Requirements
- New / Used : New
- Engine Capacity : 150/160cc (nothing more than that)
- Budget : Less than a lakh on-road (strictly)
- Monthly usage : Less than 1000km
- FE : anything around 40kmpl

Bikes Considered
1) Honda Hornet
2) Yamaha FZ
3) Suzuki Gixxer
4) TVS Apache RTR
5) Bajaj V
6) Bajaj Avenger

Here's my take on this one. This should be your preference list in this order too (as you listed already)
1) Honda Hornet
2) Yamaha FZ
3) Suzuki Gixxer

I bought a Suzuki Gixxer for my wife, she liked the blue white colour thing and I thought it was something different to the Honda's (Hero's) that we're been buying since forever. But i'm not impressed with the Gixxer quality, the plastic is a bit dinky, switches all a bit flimsy too. From day one there was a problem with the clutch sensor so it wouldn't electric start, they replaced that for free, and also replaced the mirrors too, which were a little magic and made everything in the rearview a little wonky. Honestly, they should't be allowing this kind of quality breaches to go to market. Then the engine is a bit "tickie" too and I find the gear shifting not all too smooth. SO overall, its sort of a more aggressive fun bike, but not brilliant on quality.

On the other hand I've been riding a Honda Dazzler (the Hornet predecessor) for about 5 years now. Certainly not a fun bike and the riding position is quite upright with the foot pegs quite forward, which makes it a great runaround, but not sporty. That said, I still believe Honda have the manufacturing and product down and worked out for our Indian conditions. The Honda's age best of any bike on your list.

And my take on the rest, Pulsars always look good, and sam e for the Apache, but both lack on long terms quality. And last the FZ, good bike, fun to ride, not so good good on fuel consumption a little less practice, but yeah, fun.

Hope this helps.
KYG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2016, 12:06   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYG View Post
........The Honda's age best of any bike on your list.

............for the Apache, but both lack on long terms quality..
I beg to disagree. The last Honda motorcycle with great quality has been the original Unicorn with spoke wheels. Their quality was what you call the 'Honda Quality'. Nowadays I see Honda going down in the quality stakes. case in point: The Dazzler is surprisingly high on vibes and that for Honda is a sacrilege. Similar is the case for the Unicorn. And in my friends Unicorn the chain needs to be tightened roughly every 1000kms at which point it is not loose but almost dangling. And less said about that switchgear the better.

Coming to TVS Apache, They vibrate a lot thanks to the short stroke engine, but surprisingly the engine is one tough cookie. Takes a lot of abuse and similar is the GB. Next the quality of the cycle parts are goood, no half measures here. The switchgear works well, the paint is lustrous and components do not fail. I speak this from experience having 10 yr old apache and an 8 year RTR efi...still.

Coming to the original poster's request.

I do not think any 150 cc/160 cc/180cc bike in the country can match the rush of a 2 stroke Yam. The rtr twins come the closest but they are still way off.

The 200cc bikes make up for the four stroke nature with their sheer grunt. So kindly stick to the 200cc bikes and you could wait for the RTR200. The reviews have been very very good. But not a top end screamer though like its younger siblings.

And please pick up a bike with ABS. Dual channel preferably. All the best!

http://overdrive.in/reviews/track-te...pulsar-rs-200/

PS: I have once trailed behind a P200NS doing a 130km/h for quite a long time on a highway. Was curious to see how much the rider could push the bike. I was in a Tjet and came up behind him around 100km/h. And everytime I tried to overtake he would accelerate.This went on til 130km/h at which point i backed out fearing his safety. But yes the 200NS is a performer and i was pleasantly surprised. And did i mention there were 2 guys on bike?
sai_ace is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2016, 12:24   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYG View Post

Bikes Considered
1) Honda Hornet
2) Yamaha FZ
3) Suzuki Gixxer
4) TVS Apache RTR
5) Bajaj V
6) Bajaj Avenger
Why didn't you consider Suzuki GS150R, the most under rated bike! But as I said earlier, I do not like their service schedules.

Quote:
And my take on the rest, Pulsars always look good, and sam e for the Apache, but both lack on long terms quality. And last the FZ, good bike, fun to ride, not so good good on fuel consumption a little less practice, but yeah, fun.
My friend has a Pulsar (UG3), which has run close to 1L. Has done engine work though. It still looks appealing.
I have not ridden the new RTR 180 with ABS.
deemash is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st April 2016, 14:13   #36
BHPian

Since Bullet and Karizma is ruled out. It's down to 200 NS or apache rtr.

Both are good performers and can be fun to drive in the city.

If you are looking for a used bike then the Bullet UCE would be a better choice than KTM 200(someone mentioned this as an option) because what makes an RX special is not only the mad dash till 60 Kmph but also the comfort. KTM is not a bike which you can ride leisurely. Bullet is a more mature update to the RX. Most youngsters say bullets are poor urban options but the new UCE is so much nimble compared to the old CI ones.
Captain Haddock is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2016, 17:02   #37
Senior - BHPian

The RTR's (160/180) do have quite a bit of vibrations.. the new RTR 200 is reported to be quite an improvement in terms of refinement.

So do check out the bikes.

payeng is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2016, 09:14   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
- Engine Capacity : 150/160cc (nothing more than that)

Bikes Considered
1) Honda Hornet
2) Yamaha FZ
3) Suzuki Gixxer
4) TVS Apache RTR
5) Bajaj V
6) Bajaj Avenger
For past couple of weeks TD-ed all the above bikes and I'm revising the requirements and considerations.

Engine Capacity : 150~200cc (yes, I understood the real life vs on paper specs)
Budget : 1L (will remain same)
New / Used : Open for both (with the above budget)

Bikes Considered :
No specific order
1) TVS Apache RTR family (160 / 180 / 200) - New
2) Suzuki Gixxer - New
3) Pulsar 200NS - New
4) Duke 200 - Used

Below bikes were ruled out for various reasons
Honda Hornet - Not a punchy engine
Bajaj Avenger - Not user friendly for city drive (personal opinion, reason being I'm driving her in B2B traffic for the 1st time)
Bajaj V - Performance no where close to other bikes, but still I love the driving posture.
Yamaha FZ - I'm missing something from Yamaha, couldn't explain though
Old 22nd April 2016, 12:12   #39
BHPian

Quote:
For past couple of weeks TD-ed all the above bikes and I'm revising the requirements and considerations.

Engine Capacity : 150~200cc (yes, I understood the real life vs on paper specs)
Budget : 1L (will remain same)
New / Used : Open for both (with the above budget)

Bikes Considered :
No specific order
1) TVS Apache RTR family (160 / 180 / 200) - New
2) Suzuki Gixxer - New
3) Pulsar 200NS - New
4) Duke 200 - Used

Below bikes were ruled out for various reasons
Honda Hornet - Not a punchy engine
Bajaj Avenger - Not user friendly for city drive (personal opinion, reason being I'm driving her in B2B traffic for the 1st time)
Bajaj V - Performance no where close to other bikes, but still I love the driving posture.
Yamaha FZ - I'm missing something from Yamaha, couldn't explain though
In the revised scenario

Duke 200 Hands Down !!!

Since you are a 2 stroke fan, that is the only bike which comes close to the 2 strokes of yesteryear.

Pure out and out fun - great flickability and not so expensive on pocket.
The Great is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2016, 02:36   #40
BHPian

After being used to the manic 2 stroke bikes, the only way to experience something close to that in this era while spending around 1L leaves no option other than a used Duke 200.

Looking at a brand new bike, after riding/owning bikes from many manufactures, I would say the Suzuki Gixxer is the best of the lot in the 150cc segment. The Honda Hornet comes close. But it isn't as fun as the Gixxer due to some reasons such as lacking enough low end torque.

The Gixxer is well built with enough attention paid to almost all the details and comes off as a well rounded package. But like any vehicle, it isn't without its idiosyncrasies. The only two 'problems' I came across while using the bike owned by brother are that:
1) The underbelly scrapes at certain ill-designed speed breakers with two-up. Suzuki is offering a skid plate as an accessory to solve this. I am not sure if it a problem that affects everyone as me and my brother are over 6 foot and weighs 90kg+
2) Persons with above average built might find the rear seat a bit cramped.

Other that these, I can't think of a single reason against the Gixxer. It has a good chassis and suspension set-up. It has a brilliant engine with enough power (for a sub 200) spread across the rev range and it even manages to deliver 50-55 kmpl. My friend, who is an expert in tinkering with bikes (he does most of the works on his Hayabusa by himself), managed to take off some sort of a limiter and the bike was puling like crazy that my brother got a bit scared. I am not trying to promote tampering with manufacturer settings. But it definitely showed the potential of that engine. And we made sure that the limiter was put back on.
nuew is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2016, 12:29   #41
BHPian

I would suggest you buy the Hornet mainly for the following reasons
1. Apache's engines become very rough overtime.
2. Honda's engine remain smooth easily for 5-7 years.
3. The Hornet looks pretty good and those X tail lamps look seriously addictive.

My next suggestion would be the Gixxer for similar reasons and it looks pretty darn good.
Coplay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2016, 14:59   #42
BHPian

Gixxer over Hornet anyday owing to it's manic power delivery. Hornet is too linear (read boring) to ride.
The Brutailer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th April 2016, 18:45   #43
BHPian

Quote:
4) Duke 200 - Used
Also consider a used Duke 390

Ill narrate a recent test drive incident with the Duke 390

Me: (walks up to the Duke 390 and starts the engine) "Hello"

Duke 390: (In a franctic hurried voice) "Heyyy, chalo chalo chalo, lets-go lets-go lets-go Huff Puff Huff Puff, ComeonComeonComeonComeoooon" (the idling voice and the wild bull scraping its legs on the ground hard puffy nosed)

Me: Ok ok Okaay (throttles her in first gear)

Duke 390: (with a sudden burst of steroid nitro) Yayyyy vrooooooo, go go go go go, get aside, hut, put, vrooooooo vroooooooo. (the bike's roar) (sudden fast heavy metal music starts in my brain)

Me: ( Holding my body tight trying to tame the sudden adrenaline burst from my body and the rush from Duke's body.) Should I or shouldn't I do more.

Duke 390: : "DO-it DO-it DO-it DO-it DO-it goooo" (it just cannot talk normally, the voice has a lot of forceful hurry)

Me: Gathers more courage and opens the throttle and tries to stop - ABS kicks in and it stops in a matter of seconds without any skid.

Takes 5 mins to get my adrenaline and thrill trance back to normal.
Try the test ride of a Duke on the Highway and you will be sold in a matter of minutes.

Last edited by The Great : 28th April 2016 at 18:46.
The Great is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2016, 23:42   #44
BHPian

I am also in the process of buying a new bike and going through the same dilemma as you are.

First a little background about me and my bikes

I currently own a CI engine bullet 350 that has loads of torque. I have this bullet with me for that last 7 years and absolutely adore it. But, as I near 30 years of age, I find myself itching to get something fast and more durable. That does not mean that I am not satisfied with my Bullet. I have done many runs on it ranging from 700 - 1200 kms. There was a phase in life where I used to go to Mumbai from Pune every weekend, almost for a year or so - on this bullet.

But I wanted a change in life and wanted something faster. I began searching for bikes above 150cc. I took few test rides today. One was Honda Hornet, other was Avenger and then the AS200.

Initial Reactions:
Honda Hornet: Low end power was not as good. Though I took test ride only inside the premises, I did not like it. I did not like it because of my requirement - I needed something faster and for one - Hornet did not feel fast.

Avenger - I thought that shifting from bullet to Avenger would be a good idea because of the relaxed seating that I had gotten used to. But somehow the numbers of 220 Avenger were not liked even before the test ride. The torque figures were lesser than the AS200 though it had 20cc more. It felt sluggish and I was not wanting something slow. So, this was ruled out as well. Wife liked the rear seat and told me it was more comfortable than the Bullet. But, eventually, I had to let this go as it was not fast.

AS200: I took the test ride inside the showroom premises so didn't feel the power. Low end torque was not so good. But, again, I come from a bike which had been modified to have loads and loads of low end torque. My bullet was so torque-y, that with 2 people on it, it used to thump and ride on 25 Kmph on top gear without any knocking.

Coming back to AS200 - all the reviews suggested that it has a free and high revving engine. I want something like that, so, even if the test ride was not satisfactory, I still booked it because at this price range (1.04 Lakhs OTR Pune), I cannot find anything else better than this.

KTM200: I wanted something fast and boy, it was fast than the faster. But again, I am a man nearing 30 and with wife pestering me to invest in real-estate(read: house), it was difficult to make her agree on me spending 1.57 Lakhs for a bike. I told her that we can save the moolah if I trade one of my kidneys for the bike. (Latest Update: We are not on talking terms after my suggestion). I didn't want to a buy a used bike so olx/ quikr websites were not visited.

RTR200: Wanted to do a test ride but it had not reached the Pune showroom yet. I don't want to wait for my bike so just gave this bike a pass. Also, I was not very keen on buying a bike which has an new engine with no long term reports.

I would love to hear from others about the review of AS200. Any pros/ cons of current users or long term reviews would be a welcome.
YoungSaint is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2016, 19:34   #45
BHPian

Go for the used KTM Duke 200. My 2015 KTM Duke 200 nearing 10K on the odo will outrun a brand new Gixxer and the likes anywhere, anytime. Low end torque? Uphill climb? With pillion rider? These 150-160 cc holds no match for the 200 + cc engines. The Karizma somebody mentioned too. That's also not bad for the low end torque and speed limit of 80kmph. And I don't find it too ugly. Do let us know what you end up buying. And feel free to share your experience riding your new(to be) bike. Whichever it is.
docmoya2007 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks