Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2016, 09:02   #31
BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Himalayan - Initial Ownership Report

A few more observations:
- The mild vibrations in the tank start at 3000 rpm and persist until almost 4000 rpm
-The last tankful has resulted in a mileage of 33.5 KMPL. 250 out of the 364 Km was in highways and that too at less than 80 KMPH.
- The idle at cold engine is around 900 rpm and goes upto 1500 rpm after a long run
-I find that when I close the throttle the engine braking is considerably less than the GT. It almost like cruising. Is it because of the fuel being supplied by the idle jet? In GT the FI system might cut off the fuel supply fully or keep it to the minimum. This is my surmise and the experts can throw more light.
-Some stupid fellow has made a deep scratch on the fuel gauge cover, with a key.
Old 27th May 2016, 13:23   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arulpeem View Post
A few more observations:
- The mild vibrations in the tank start at 3000 rpm and persist until almost 4000 rpm
-The last tankful has resulted in a mileage of 33.5 KMPL. 250 out of the 364 Km was in highways and that too at less than 80 KMPH.
- The idle at cold engine is around 900 rpm and goes upto 1500 rpm after a long run
-I find that when I close the throttle the engine braking is considerably less than the GT. It almost like cruising. Is it because of the fuel being supplied by the idle jet? In GT the FI system might cut off the fuel supply fully or keep it to the minimum. This is my surmise and the experts can throw more light.
-Some stupid fellow has made a deep scratch on the fuel gauge cover, with a key.
Arulji,
Do not think you need to worry much about the vibes part but ensure that the main engine bedding bolts are torqued to factory settings.

Mileage not sure as I have not checked mine consistently but I believe it must be in the same ball park figure of yours.

Engine braking being less is due to the lower compression ratio when compared to your GT.

Sorry for the scratch you have had...cheer up mate...its weekend time
Old 27th May 2016, 13:46   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Arulji,
Do not think you need to worry much about the vibes part but ensure that the main engine bedding bolts are torqued to factory settings.

Mileage not sure as I have not checked mine consistently but I believe it must be in the same ball park figure of yours.

Engine braking being less is due to the lower compression ratio when compared to your GT.

Sorry for the scratch you have had...cheer up mate...its weekend time
Hi, I should get the torquing done. Thanks.
Initially I thought it is because of the lower compression ration, but surprisingly GT has compression ratio of 8.5:1 where as H has 9.5:1 according to he owner's manual.
I am sure the mileage is likely to drop once the running in is done and I increase the engine speeds beyond 4000 rpm
arulpeem is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2016, 14:30   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Initially I thought it is because of the lower compression ration, but surprisingly GT has compression ratio of 8.5:1 where as H has 9.5:1 according to he owner's manual.
Yes it is...I just checked with Manual and on the website. Is it due to the FI mapping? Will check on this aspect...
Old 27th May 2016, 15:15   #35
BHPian

One of the things I like about the Himalayan is the fact that the word "Himalayan" is cleverly camouflaged in the graphics running over the tank and the other parts

Last edited by centaur : 27th May 2016 at 15:33.
Old 27th May 2016, 16:08   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Yes it is...I just checked with Manual and on the website. Is it due to the FI mapping? Will check on this aspect...
Could be because of the flywheel I guess, lighter vs heavier
Old 27th May 2016, 21:49   #37
BHPian

Congratulations on your new ride friend. A very nice and detailed review. A sort of review that makes you check your bank balance to see if you can buy the Himalyan. I will be following your thread closely, as I plan to buy a RE - Thunderbird 500 or Himalyan by July End.

Thanks !!!
Old 28th May 2016, 15:30   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB311 View Post
Congratulations on your new ride friend. I will be following your thread closely, as I plan to buy a RE - Thunderbird 500 or Himalyan by July End.
Thanks !!!
Thank you very much and either of them would be a good buy. Himalayan seems to have a longer waiting period, three months. TB 500 does not have that long a waiting period...
Old 28th May 2016, 17:32   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My trip to Leh is already finalised and we are leaving on 15th July.

What I would like to have:

-Fuel Injected Engine. Hope this will give a much smoother engine and better emisson levels and of course a little more power and torque
-More powerful brakes with ABS
-Larger rear view mirrors
-A crash guard. The ones in the marketing photos is really nice. But it is not yet available as an accessory yet. In fact none of the accessories are there as of now
Saar,

greetings and regards from gurgaon.

I was hoping to see such a thread from your side for sometime, and here it is

Congratulations on your new acquisition - wish you years of reliable mile munching! Best of luck for your Leh ride as well.

Thanks for a well described ownership log - its quite useful.

Regarding your points in like to have - I really hope RE sorts these issues out - maybe by 2017 I may have a himalayan join my garage if my carpal tunnel issues force me to sell off my CBR :( (and there's no other tourer launched by Honda / Hero).
Old 28th May 2016, 20:12   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Would check choke settings/ sticky choke etc.

Quote:
Is it because of the fuel being supplied by the idle jet? In GT the FI system might cut off the fuel supply fully or keep it to the minimum. This is my surmise and the experts can throw more light.
No. Not the way a carb works.

Re: the pic. you put up of the fusebox: the wiring loom behind the battery: Is that factory finish, or you have done something extra?

Regards
Sutripta
Old 29th May 2016, 08:29   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Saar,

Thanks for a well described ownership log - its quite useful.

Regarding your points in like to have - I really hope RE sorts these issues out - maybe by 2017 I may have a himalayan join my garage if my carpal tunnel issues force me to sell off my CBR :( (and there's no other tourer launched by Honda / Hero).
Hi Phamilyman, thanks for your appreciation. Let us hope that RE comes out with these changes sooner than later and also offer to make the changes to existing owners bikes, of course for a fee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Would check choke settings/ sticky choke etc.

No. Not the way a carb works.

Re: the pic. you put up of the fusebox: the wiring loom behind the battery: Is that factory finish, or you have done something extra?

Regards
Sutripta
Hi Sutripta, One of the causes seem to the adulterated fuel. After my fill previous to the latest one, I noted that the smell of the petrol was not good and when accidentally it spilled on my tank it took a longer time to evaporate and also left a stain. For the latest fill I went to a Shell pump and found a reduction in the idle speed to about 1200 rpm. The engine also sounded smoother.

I have not done anything extra on the wiring looms. It is as it came.
Old 30th May 2016, 14:05   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

hi arulpeem,
I must say that your bike is definitely a looker in that gorgeous white colour.
On a related note I visited the Kerala-Tamilnadu border this week and was instantly reminded of your Himalayan when I saw the rugged and rocky terrain with a Honda unicorn struggling up the hills where only a jeep could make it.
That is when I actually understood the significance of the Himalayan as an off roader and what a difference it would have made there.Wishing you many happy miles with your unique motorcycle....
Regards,
Vishy76
vishy76 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2016, 19:05   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishy76 View Post
hi arulpeem,
I must say that your bike is definitely a looker in that gorgeous white colour.
Wishing you many happy miles with your unique motorcycle....
Regards,
Vishy76
Hi Vishy76,
Thanks for your wishes. I hope I will use it effectively doing at least some of what it is expected to do.

During the weekend I set the idle speed at 800 rpm when the engine is cold. Today, at the end of a long ride of 50 Km, the tachometer was wavering between 1000 and 1100 rpm. So clean fuel makes a big difference in a smaller spread of the rpm

Last edited by arulpeem : 30th May 2016 at 19:07. Reason: spelling correction
Old 3rd June 2016, 21:14   #44
BHPian

The last couple of days the bike has developed the typical tappet noise.
Need to get it fixed.
So far the bike has done about 1580 Kms. Today's fuel top up has resulted in 31.7 KMPL. CIty and highway riding would be a 50/50 split.
Tomorrow I am planning a trip to Pondy and back. Will gently cross the 4000 rpm during this trip.
I am getting to feel more comfortable with the bike.
Old 12th June 2016, 17:18   #45
BHPian

Haven't found the time to update during the last couple of weeks. But I have been riding the bike a bit. Last Saturday I went on a breakfast ride to Pondy with my friend, who was also on his Himalayan. We went via ECR and returned via GST since the ECR has too much of traffic. The tappet noise increased a lot which forced me to visit the OMR service station on Monday and they set it right in a couple of hours. They discovered that the bezel of the speedometer has loosened. They have promised to replace the same. I also realised on closer inspection that what I thought as a deliberated scratch is actually a crack and there was no sign of any attempt to do a deliberate damage.

By yesterday I found that the typical RE gremlins have started to appear, the famous oil leaks. .

Today morning went on a 200Km ride with three other friends, two were on their Himalayans and another on classic. Had to keep within 60 since one of them had a brand new bike.

The oil leak has increased. I have attached a couple of photos. Not sure if they have tightened the bolts to the right torque after setting the tappets. I also found that one more crack has developed on the fuel gauge cover. Don't know if the heat is causing it. Do any one of you face similar issues?

The cracks. The left one is a week old and the right one developed during today's ride.
Royal Enfield Himalayan - Initial Ownership Report-dscn1691.jpg

The sweating along the casing
Royal Enfield Himalayan - Initial Ownership Report-dscn1693.jpg

The leak at the head
Royal Enfield Himalayan - Initial Ownership Report-dscn1698.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks