Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2016, 18:12   #46
Team-BHP Support

Re: Royal Enfield Himalayan - Initial Ownership Report

I had a similar issue in my Thunderbird.
The mechanic stuck some gasket paper along the cover and then closed it.
Over a decade with no leaks.
Old 13th June 2016, 12:05   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
I had a similar issue in my Thunderbird.
The mechanic stuck some gasket paper along the cover and then closed it.
Over a decade with no leaks.
I left the bike at the service centre and I am hoping that they can set them right. There was no leak at all prior to the tappet adjustment and I assume it should only be because of improper tightening of the bolts. Will post the update after I take it for a long ride.
Old 13th June 2016, 12:17   #48
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by arulpeem View Post
I left the bike at the service centre and I am hoping that they can set them right. There was no leak at all prior to the tappet adjustment and I assume it should only be because of improper tightening of the bolts. Will post the update after I take it for a long ride.
In http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...-pictures.html look for the image under the comment
"The clutch casing removed and being washed with petrol."

Notice a strip stuck on one end of the casing.

That is how it was finally resolved. If service center tries and is unable to fix it then and only then try this route.
Old 15th June 2016, 13:13   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Notice a strip stuck on one end of the casing.

That is how it was finally resolved. If service center tries and is unable to fix it then and only then try this route.
Thanks Bblost. They have re torqued the casing and the head bolt washer has been replaced. I need to watch it over the next couple of hundred KMs. Hoping that there wouldn't be any further leaks.
Just got a call from the RE chapts that the instrument cluster replacement has come. I will get it done today. Should remember to note down my odometer readings without fail.
arulpeem is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th June 2016, 08:32   #50
BHPian

Rode the bike after the leaks were supposed to have been set right.

On Saturday took it for a 60 Km ride and was revving the bike freely for the first time. The mid range is really good. I was able to cruise comfortably at 100 to 110 KMPH without any effort for a few kilometers when the road and traffic permitted. Then settled down to 90+ speeds. The bike is really stable at all these speeds. One thing I noted is that the engine retardation is much less than that of any other bile I have ridden. Even at a high 5000 rpm, when I close the throttle the engine braking is not noticeable. It seems coast more than slow down. Has anyone else noted this or is it my figment of imagination?

On returning home when I looked at the engine I found the same ole oil leaks again in the same old locations, from the front rocker arm bolt and the right side engine casings. . The tappet noise has again started. Haven't even done 250 Kms after they set it right. I have never had these problems in my GT. A step backward in Quality Control for RE, I suppose, and what is an RE without an oil leaks. I just left it in the OMR service station for them to check it again. This weekend I am going on a ride to Yercaud and Kolli hills with three of my friends, two of them have Himalayans. Hoping to have a good ride on all those 90+ hairpin beds in both the hills put together. Then on next Tuesday the bikes will be left at GATI for packing and transporting them to Srinagar for the trip to Leh and beyond.
arulpeem is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th June 2016, 23:15   #51
Senior - BHPian

arulpeem sir, going through dkaile's sir's report, he clearly mentioned in one of his posts that his regional manager was advised to replace an engine if they observed any abnormal noise or leaks, and not replace parts, did you, in anyway, consider throwing this thought at the dealership?

Cheers!
VJ
Old 21st June 2016, 13:50   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VijayAnand1 View Post
arulpeem sir, going through dkaile's sir's report, he clearly mentioned in one of his posts that his regional manager was advised to replace an engine if they observed any abnormal noise or leaks, and not replace parts, did you, in anyway, consider throwing this thought at the dealership?

Cheers!
VJ
Hi VJ,
The tappet noise and oil leak are not yet at an abnormal level. For sure these things should not happen with today's CNC machining and high levels of automation. If they are unable arrest the oil leak after the second attempt of yesterday, then I will definitely push them. Thanks.
arulpeem is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2016, 13:52   #53
Senior - BHPian

Any feed back on the Himalayan Rear tyre ?

How well does it hold up in wet, slush, and at higher speeds ?
Old 22nd June 2016, 08:48   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praful View Post
Any feed back on the Himalayan Rear tyre ?
How well does it hold up in wet, slush, and at higher speeds ?
I am yet to venture in wet and slushy conditions. But at higher speeds i find it is good and grip is fair. I haven't tried any panic braking as of now. Planned quick stops at high speeds, using both the brakes is straight and I faced no issues. Of course a proper road biased tyre will be better anytime. But given the all purpose nature this is perfect.
arulpeem is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2016, 10:00   #55
Senior - BHPian

Just checked out some more official videos and pics and I speculate that (yes there is going to be a ton of accessories) some new variant may be launched for the Himalayan. Because if you compare the test bikes in the pictures and videos, you see a lot of difference.

Exhaust - The sports exhaust is probably black in color.
Rear rack - A much more sturdier and better quality looking rack.
Triple-tree - In some videos, the triple tree is also black in color.

I think when they launch the accessories, they would probably launch a fully-loaded touring version of the Himalayan with some really really better quality parts.
Gordon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2016, 14:37   #56
BHPian

It has been a while since I updated the thread. I have been busy,busy riding too. My bike was one of the first to be called back for resolving the the tappet noise problem and also hard gear shift, though shift problem has reduced by that time for me.
If I remember right they got in touch the week starting 20th June. I left the bike with them on Friday, 24th. They were a little vague on what is to be done. But I knew that they were changing the rocker arm shaft to one of little longer length. I also told them to set right the oil leak issue. I got it promptly by the evening. The next day four of us, three Himalayans and one Tiger left for week end trip to Yercaud, from there to Kolli Malai and back to Chennai. With a night's stay in each of the hill stations.This was a prelude to the Leh trip and we wanted too get used to mountain climbing. In all we would cover about almost 100 hairipin bends one way.

We left around 5.30 and reached Yercaud by lunch time. We had to go via Salem since the Kuppanur road was closed for uphill traffic due to the Flower show in Yercaud. After a dinner at Shevaroys and night's stay in a small rented house we left for Kolli hills after breakfast. The route was Kuppanur, Rasipuram, Kallapanaickenpatty and Semmedu. The road in Kolli hills was newly topped and was a pleasure to ride. Compared to Yercaud, the road is narrower and therefore a little more challenging to maintain speed, but very involving. Our stay was in a new resort called Silver Lines. It is still work in progress. But the view was fantastic. We had lunch there, typical meals. It was okay. The next day we took the route to Metala and from there to Vazhapadi instead of Athur, in order to avoid riding through Athur town and then the usual Ullundurpet route.

How did the bike behave:
-To begin with the engine noise seemed to be subdued.
-The clatter during acceleration is much less now
-At the end of the 900+Km journey there was no tappet noise. So the change has been effective
- The hill climbing was really easy and simple. After the 70+ hairpin bends I was not tired at all. That instills a lot of confidence in me for going on the Leh trip
-The GT turns in a little more easily, but is a bit twitchy whereas Himalayan is more forgiving and relatively strain less when descending.
Overall I am happy with it.
In the plains we were maintaining below 90 KMPH since one of the bikes was yet to be fully run in.

From Ullundurpet we asked our friend riding the Tiger to go ahead since we were slowing him down. It was not fair on our part to rob him the pleasure of using Tiger effectively.

-Royal Enfield Himalayan - Initial Ownership Report-dscn1700.jpg
At Salem LOA fuel pump

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Initial Ownership Report-dscn1705.jpg
On the way up to Yercaud

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Initial Ownership Report-dscn1707.jpg
On the way down from Yercaud to Kuppanur

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Initial Ownership Report-dscn1711.jpg
Kolli hills Climb up

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Initial Ownership Report-dscn1714.jpg
Royal Enfield Himalayan - Initial Ownership Report-dscn1715.jpg
View from the Silver Line Resort

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Initial Ownership Report-dscn1719.jpg
Starting from the resort

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Initial Ownership Report-dscn1721.jpg
On the way back it was foggy for the first 45 mins and the it was one of the best rides I have had in a long time. The route to Metala is gradual and not may hairpin bends. Some parts of the road are still small but a good road overall.

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Initial Ownership Report-dscn1723.jpg
Just before reaching the plains. It was really broad road with virtually no traffic at all.

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Initial Ownership Report-dscn1724.jpg
My Varaiaadu proved to be one.

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Initial Ownership Report-dscn1730.jpg
Royal Enfield Himalayan - Initial Ownership Report-dscn1731.jpg
The eastern ghats

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Initial Ownership Report-dscn1735.jpg
This restaurant was couple of KMs before the Aathur bye pass starts. The food was good and ambiance was cool.
arulpeem is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th July 2016, 22:18   #57
BHPian

Excellent report Arul Sir.
I like your dispassionate way of penning down your feedback about the bike.
Good to know that the engine noise has come down after the recall.

Good luck for your Leh trip.

cheers

Last edited by ZedMae : 5th July 2016 at 22:18. Reason: Typo correction
ZedMae is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2016, 10:45   #58
BHPian

Great stuff Sir!

Went through every single post in this thread both as a bike ride lover and a potential Himalayan owner. I can tell from your honest review that this bike does indeed fulfill my requirements. Thanks a ton.
Old 6th July 2016, 16:52   #59
BHPian

[quote=naturaldisaster;4009956]
I am glad that I could contribute in your decision making process. Will update once I am back from the Leh trip.
Offtopic: I can see from your signature that you are an audiophile.
Old 6th July 2016, 17:52   #60
BHPian

[quote=arulpeem;4010162]
Quote:
Originally Posted by naturaldisaster View Post

Offtopic: I can see from your signature that you are an audiophile.

I do love music if that is what you mean. 'Audiophiles' have a notorious reputation these days.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks