Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2016, 11:52   #91
BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Himalayan - Initial Ownership Report

Quote:
Originally Posted by arulpeem View Post
Just returned from my trip to Leh. It will take a while to write about the trip.

In summary I am extremely happy with my Varaiaadu.
Sir, I have been waiting for this review to come up. Thanks for the summary.

I think it will put a lot of skepticism to rest for people who are planning to buy the Himalayan.

Awaiting the detailed one.
Old 29th July 2016, 17:57   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Power Above 13,000 feet it sucks, literally. At the passes it was gasping for power and one was gasping. Another 7 to 10 bhp would be wonderful to have at those altitudes
A very important update, thanks for sharing. I remember reading that RE tested these bikes with the stock carb till 12,000 feet and it ran without any issue. Performance above 12k was always a question mark for me and your update helps

More than power, fuel injection will completely sort this issue. Hopefully, the FI version should be available by early next year
Urban_Nomad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th July 2016, 18:01   #93
BHPian

Royal Enfield Himalayan - Initial Ownership Report

[quote=arulpeem;4024161]Just returned from my trip to Leh. It will take a while to write about the trip.

Way to go arulpeem.

Great great news. Now the bike is officially Leh'd. Good know that everything held up well and whatever is amiss RE is really taking care based on the feedback. The pioneers will rough it out like they always do and the thrill of being amongst the first few to own a Himalayan compensates.

I've been doing a bit of rough riding on my own near Rishikesh and the bike doesn't even squeak. Built like a Gun I say. Let's see how I do on my planned trips to New Tehri and Char Dham route once the rains abate.

Last edited by ShellZee : 30th July 2016 at 18:20.
ShellZee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2016, 09:28   #94
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
We covered a distance of just less than 1600 KMs in eight days of riding with a few days of breaks in between.
Eagerly looking forward to your travel report, I am sure that it was a ride to remember. My facebook feed threw up some pictures today of a group of RE riders in the Himalayas (mostly Himalayans). I recognized Sunny from SPG, was that your same riding group?
Old 11th August 2016, 11:20   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
More than power, fuel injection will completely sort this issue. Hopefully, the FI version should be available by early next year
Honestly it should not be a big deal to pack in more air to the mixture
A simple clockwise turn by a 1/4 should be good. If still no go then another 1/4. Once back to the plains an anti-clockwise roll back to its original position should not be a tedious task.

Anyways it depends on the person and his mentality coupled with the capability to do such minor tasks.
ku69rd is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th August 2016, 14:11   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
Eagerly looking forward to your travel report, I am sure that it was a ride to remember. My facebook feed threw up some pictures today of a group of RE riders in the Himalayas (mostly Himalayans). I recognized Sunny from SPG, was that your same riding group?
Hi Neil, Yes it is the same group. We are working on a report. But in the meanwhile during this weekend I will post photographs. Have been travelling during weekends ever since I returned from the trip.
Old 5th April 2017, 15:49   #97

Hello Guys!

I am planning on purchasing the new RE Himalayan carb version. I heard that the carb version has some rust issues in certain places. Is that correct?

And also what would you guys suggest? Should I wait for the FI version or go ahead with the Carb version itself.
Old 6th April 2017, 16:50   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyas95 View Post
Hello Guys!

I am planning on purchasing the new RE Himalayan carb version. I heard that the carb version has some rust issues in certain places. Is that correct?

And also what would you guys suggest? Should I wait for the FI version or go ahead with the Carb version itself.
I would suggest you wait for the FI version. Definitely the fueling will be far better in FI than in Carb. The technology also has improved and reliability of fuel injection devices are really good. I hope the engine noise also would have improved. My bike is now almost a year and I haven't come across any rusting issues till date.
arulpeem is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st April 2017, 11:32   #99
BHPian

It is a year since I have acquired my Varaiaadu. Unfotunately I have not been giving any updates at all. In fact the travelogue that I planned after the Leh trip never happened.
I left for the first year service a couple of days back and it is much smoother now. I have clocked nearly 9000 Kms till date.

After the Leh trip I had taken it on a trip to Munnar a few months back. It is still amazing as to how tireless the bike is even after a ride that lasts more than 10 hours. As far as the ergonomics, ride and handling are concerned it is at least as good as the Tiger 800Xc in which I made a trip to Kodai last month. If only it had another 10 to 12bhp more and better brakes, it would be 'the bike' for me.

I had only one complaint that had developed over the last month. The rear brake was making noise. Not when braking, but when running the bike, especially when I turn the bike sharply. They have set it right now after the service.
A few days back my son fell off the bike resulting in large abrasions/bruises on the knee and ankle. The helmet saved his face from being abraded.
The handle bar was bent, the centre stand had cracked and the headlight sub-frame was bent. The handle bar and the stand were changed and the subframe was straightened. The total damage was about 2400/-
arulpeem is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2017, 12:29   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As far as the ergonomics, ride and handling are concerned it is at least as good as the Tiger 800Xc in which I made a trip to Kodai last month.

The handle bar and the stand were changed and the subframe was straightened. The total damage was about 2400/-
In the Tiger Xcx it would have been more in the Rs. 2,40,000/- figure.

My Himalayan is also like new and I am enjoying every moment on it.

Cheers...
Old 16th May 2017, 00:28   #101
BHPian

I have booked a himalyan couple of days back. This thread gave me the last bit of nudge that I needed. I was seriously contemplating the GT continental, but the riding position and the ergonomics put me off. It is a marvellous machine, no doubt. The other thing that put me off is the road presence that the GT continental offers in comparison to the himalyan. The cafe racer looks like a million bucks, no doubt, but the himalyan simply won my heart. Hope to get it soon and start my own ownership thread!!
Old 17th May 2017, 14:08   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msk016 View Post
I have booked a himalyan couple of days back. This thread gave me the last bit of nudge that I needed. I was seriously contemplating the GT continental, but the riding position and the ergonomics put me off. It is a marvellous machine, no doubt. The other thing that put me off is the road presence that the GT continental offers in comparison to the himalyan. The cafe racer looks like a million bucks, no doubt, but the himalyan simply won my heart. Hope to get it soon and start my own ownership thread!!
Wish you a very happy and safe riding. Soon I will be parting with my Continental GT. It is real head turner and I love the torque it has. By this weekend it will be in OLX. Sad to part with it, but can't keep two bikes at home also.
Old 7th June 2017, 18:23   #103

Friends,

I am an Enfielder for the last 2 decades and recently bought a Himalayan. Have done 4k kms till date, 20% long drives and the rest within the Chennai city (daily commute). I have been watching all the Himalayan threads for close to a year now and I must admit that there were mixed feelings about my decision to buy a Himalayan when I was booking the bike. Got the bike within 15 days (Legend Motors, Tambaram, Chennai). The first 500 kms gave me sleepless nights. Was feeling bad that I had put close to 2 lakhs on the bike that was making all kinds of metal rackling noise. Gear shifting was a pain in the wrong place. Maneuvering the bike within city traffic was an issue because of the gear. Even in slow speeds, one has to shift to first gear everytime. Was it a mistake buying a Himalayan?
The answer is a big no!
The first service did the trick. After first service, I could sense a complete transformation in the way the bike behaved. That gave me great confidence. Took my bike to Kodai over a weekend. Did 800 kms in 3 days and the journey was a cake walk. At avg speeds of 80-90, the bike is very smooth and sturdy. Excellent sitting posture. Great feeling when the wind is against your face. The occasional "look-backs" you get from Pulsars and Apaches give you a kick actually. :-)
The service technicians go out of the way to service a himalayan. Some pointers for Himaoayn owners or prospective buyers...

1. The bike has great design and looks. It's priced right and is certainly value for money
2. Do not expect a typical/ classic Royal enfield engine thump or siund. This bike is built completely differently
3. Do not rev and race with the pulsars and apaches. Show class in the way you ride a Himalayan. Gradual acceleration & braking is the key to experiencing the best of Himalayan.
4. Wait for the first service to fix all issues with the bike.

Regards & Happy biking!
sharmasj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th June 2017, 10:29   #104
BHPian

After the One year service, I have not ridden the bike since I was travelling a lot. Even when I had taken delivery after the service I was not very happy with the rear brake feel. It was too soft and hardly felt any resistance when pressing it. I was told it is perfectly alright. Unfortunately the rear brakes started locking every time I applied it. It will release after a while. It was become too dangerous to ride. I have left it in the OMR service station today. I hope they do a better job this time...
Old 16th June 2017, 10:52   #105
Senior - BHPian

I too feel the same with rear brakes. every time the wheels gets locked and skidded. now a days i am very much afraid to use rear brakes and manages with front brake and occasional use of rear one.
I have shown it to service guys and they told, it's normal. need to check with some other Himalayan.
After second service, the bike has shown its true value.
it's revvs quite well and no clacking sounds and power delivery is also remarkable better than earlier.

Is any way to increase the power/torque in this carb version. as i used to 390, Himalayan is like riding a kick scooter

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks