August 2016: Two Wheeler Sales Figures & Analysis-1.-total-sales.jpg

August 2016: Two Wheeler Sales Figures & Analysis-2.-top-20.jpg

August 2016: Two Wheeler Sales Figures & Analysis-3.-top-20-table.jpg

August 2016: Two Wheeler Sales Figures & Analysis-4.-top-15-gainers.jpg

August 2016: Two Wheeler Sales Figures & Analysis-5.-top-15-loosers.jpg

August 2016: Two Wheeler Sales Figures & Analysis-6.-market-share-trend.jpg

August 2016: Two Wheeler Sales Figures & Analysis-7.-top-6-sales.jpg

August 2016: Two Wheeler Sales Figures & Analysis-8.-bottom-6-sales.jpg

August 2016: Two Wheeler Sales Figures & Analysis-9.-manufac-monthly-sales-trend.jpg

August 2016: Two Wheeler Sales Figures & Analysis-10.-manufac-sales-trend.jpg

PS:
  1. All data has been compiled from data presented by Auto Punditz - August 2016 Two Wheeler Sales

2. Sincere Thanks to Mr. Rajeevraj for giving me the chance to post this thread on his behalf and also got a chance to learn a lot due to this chance. Also thanks for the base excel sheet.

3. Sincere Thanks to Auto Punditz for sharing the data with me making the compilation easier.

4. Click any picture to open a larger higher-resolution version in a new window / tab.

Last edited by Jaggu : 11th October 2016 at 15:15.
a4anurag is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 8th October 2016, 16:50   #2
BANNED

Re: August 2016: Two Wheeler Sales Figures & Analysis

August 2016: Two Wheeler Sales Figures & Analysis-11.-segment-sales-trend.jpg

August 2016: Two Wheeler Sales Figures & Analysis-12.-segment-sales-table-1.jpg

August 2016: Two Wheeler Sales Figures & Analysis-13.-motorcycle-vs-scooter-trend.jpg

August 2016: Two Wheeler Sales Figures & Analysis-14.-segment-typetable.jpg

Hero MotorCorp vs Honda
August 2016: Two Wheeler Sales Figures & Analysis-24.-hero-vs-honda.jpg

A mild dip in the graph consistently that should get the heads at Hero worry as numbers from Honda are picking up with people buying more of Activa's and also their fresher line-up. Hero has to get something big to the market to have the customer base with them else it is party-time for Honda.

Harley Davidson vs Triumph
August 2016: Two Wheeler Sales Figures & Analysis-25.-harley-vs-triumph.jpg

Last edited by a4anurag : 9th October 2016 at 20:05.
a4anurag is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th October 2016, 16:55   #3
BANNED

Model Level Sales with MoM Historical Details

August 2016: Two Wheeler Sales Figures & Analysis-15.-bajaj.jpg

August 2016: Two Wheeler Sales Figures & Analysis-16.-harley.jpg

August 2016: Two Wheeler Sales Figures & Analysis-17.-hero-motorcorp.jpg

August 2016: Two Wheeler Sales Figures & Analysis-18.-honda.jpg

August 2016: Two Wheeler Sales Figures & Analysis-19.-kawa-mm-vespa-re.jpg

August 2016: Two Wheeler Sales Figures & Analysis-20.-suzuki.jpg

August 2016: Two Wheeler Sales Figures & Analysis-21.-triumph.jpg

August 2016: Two Wheeler Sales Figures & Analysis-22.-tvs.jpg

August 2016: Two Wheeler Sales Figures & Analysis-23.-yamaha.jpg
a4anurag is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th October 2016, 19:56   #4
BANNED

Observations that I can gather while viewing the Figures and Charts:

With a total sales of 16.49 lakh units in August, 2016 compared to 14.76 lakh units in July, gives a jump of 1.73 lakh sales of which is a decent increase of 11.23%.
  1. August month total sales are the highest ever for this year from Jan’16.

2. In the Top 20 sales by volume, Hero MotorCorp has 6 vehicles in the list with Honda being the second with 5, Bajaj and TVS with 3 and the rest being Yamaha + Royal Enfield + Suzuki having 1 entry each respectively.

3. Every manufacturer is investing their R&D, efforts etc. on the segment that caters scooters/Bikes in the 100-125cc range. It is segment in the Indian industry that gets the cash registers ringing and numbers to the table. Every manufacturer wants a share in this segment which is dominated by Splendor and Activa thanks to their reliability, FE and word-of-mouth marketing that gets them moving off the shelf quicker.

4. In terms of sheer market share %, Hero MotorCorp is sitting at a 36.49% whereas Honda is at 28.27%. These two manufacturers are the Maruti Suzuki and Hyundai of the car industry. I can see Honda launching bikes and scooters aggressively to gain the market share and dethrone Hero from the No. 1 position.

5. Activa is the leader for the month as usual with 2.8 lakh copies being sold which is a major feat in itself. Same goes for the age-old Splendor that manages to move 2.3 lakh copies.

6. Maximum jump in sales is seen by Suzuki Access that can be attributed to the newer model launch. TVS Victor GLX and Royal Enfield Himalayan were the other two notable gainers for this month. Now coming to the other side of the coin, Loser’s, this is occupied by Mahindra in first and second place. Centuro that has had a slump in figure of almost 900 units followed by Gusto that lost 2000 units. Sad to see.

7. In the Sales trends, Hero has a clear advantage with the number of scooters and bikes on offer (individual variants) makes one’s mind boggle making it occupy the top of the chart followed by Honda which is helped mainly by Activa’s numbers.

8. Suzuki even though isn’t in the Top Sales chart; it has a nice increase in graph thanks to Access and Gixxer that gets home the numbers. Sad to see the graph of Mahindra 2 wheeler's. It is on a consistent decline. Three dealers that I saw open have shut business due to low sales and high maintenance killing the dealership’s peace. Come On Mahindra, what are you guys doing! Wake Up!

9. When one compares the sales of motorcycles vs scooters, the graph is on a consistent increase for scooters whereas for the motorcycles it is too unstable with up’s and down’s. I hope manufacturers invest more on Scooters to give customers more bang for the buck. The ones that are on sale are too cheap and Spartan compared to what scooters are sold by the same manufacturer outside India. I know our market is too price sensitive and one will not be bothered if it has a side stand indicator or no but certain basic features makes life easy on a scooter.

Manufacturer’s Performance Summary:

Bajaj: Three of the major cash generators are Platina, Pulsar 150cc and CT 100. Clearly shows how FE focused the market is as CT 100 gets the highest numbers and Platina in 3rd position. Surprised to see Pulsar 150 on the list that too in 2nd position?! – It is still the fun generator motorbike at an affordable price point retaining the style statement even after being on sale from so long. I have seen so many buy this over the other versions of Pulsar. The other bike that I love from Bajaj’s stable is V15 (INS Vikrant) that has all good things required on a bike. Have driven it many times and happy that Bajaj did not go stingy and equip it with a 125cc engine rather giving it a 150cc heart making it feel lively and powerful just like the mighty INS Vikrant. At my workplace, there are 8 of these bikes in the same Red/Black shade which looks so tasty.

Hero MotorCorp: Majority of the Indian household buyer of motorbikes go to Hero’s dealership. Splendor, Passion and HF Deluxe are the highest selling ones. Reliability = Splendor/Passion is what I feel. There is no day that passes by without seeing a new Splendor or Passion on the road. I am not sure if Hero would ever leave that bike (read engine and underpinning’s) how much ever R&D they do. Get these three bikes out of the chart and Hero MotorCorp is Nothing! Seriously! The other nice bike from Hero is Glamour, slightly premium over the Splendor/Passion creed, this bike gives the efficiency of the 100cc bike and performance as a backup. I have heard owners get a consistent 70 kmpl on the Glamour that gets a 125 cc heart and FI as an option. Maestro and Duet are the two scooters that sell well for these guys, not Activa sales but on an average it does the job. Hero has recently added lot more features (useful) to Maestro and Duet that is not given by Honda even though being costlier. Hats-off to guys @ Hero for pushing the bar ahead. Their scooters have advanced ahead over the rest in the market and have a fresher look. Overall I feel it is another rocking month for these guys but nerve raking at the same time due to pressure from launches by Honda. Let’s see how the market responds!

Honda: Activa the scooter leader and CB Shine the motorcycle leader, help Honda get fantastic revenue home Month on month. CB Shine is what Splendor is to the market, sitting in the 125cc premium segment has won many hearts that I can see a consistent increase in figures month on month. Navi, a unique looking moped that is neither a motorcycle nor a scooter, is attracting a lot of attention which is going to almost 9K units per month on an average. Pretty good for a less-practical vehicle! The Dream series and Livo too are picking up sales consistently reaching 20K units month on month. Honda seriously needs a performance oriented motorcycle in the 150-180cc segment and 180cc to 250cc segment. The only ones are CB Hornet, CBR 150R and CBR 250R that are selling of which the CBR 250R is not much of a mover. It is somehow lost its sheen. CB Unicorn, the first and best attempt from Honda in the 150cc segment to compete with TVS Apache, Bajaj Pulsar 150cc. It was a masterpiece and is being accepted well but is losing steam thanks to age-old styling and lack of features compared to competition. 13BHP motorcycle in 2016 for a price that isn’t justifiable is pushing it down the road even though managing 5 digit figures. They tried to repair it by launching CB Unicorn 160 but sadly that was one of the most foolish moves I have seen by Honda, a 10cc increase and not much change to looks over the regular Unicorn which never got connected to the buyer pushing them to Bajaj/Yamaha/KTM.

Mahindra 2 Wheelers: It is just like a dying human that is on life support system dragging as long as it can without much help or efforts to get the customers attention. Gusto is the only scooter that is selling in that manufacturer’s portfolio. Rest all of them are selling in triple digits. Not sure what these guys are upto.

Royal Enfield: 350cc segment is what is getting the sales number on their excel sheets compared to the 500cc ones. The entire variants clubbed would be equal to what Bullet 350 sells month on month. It does speak a lot of the Bullet 350cc as an individual entity in the lineup. Decently reliable and Fuel efficient and more than enough power on tap for an average Joe! It is only the enthusiast that goes for 500cc segments. Continental GT and TB 500 are slow coaches in the portfolio with sales in triple digits only. Five month old Himalayan is still in its probation period consistently managing 1000+ units of sale.

Suzuki: A small change in design can do wonders; this can be proved by seeing the numbers of Access (even though I’ll wait for a few more to ascertain anything) BUT, the numbers for August month compared to July or any other month that is lovely jump of 11,000 units. Indian market hasn’t accepted Suzuki’s products well thanks to Activa’s over-shadow. Gixxer is the only other one that has brought up numbers which can be attributed to the Hayabusa-look alike which was a fresh change compared to the regular FZ’s and Pulsar’s! Overall an average month for these guys. We’ll need to keep an eye on the figures generated by Access so to find out if the facelift has paid off or no?!

TVS: The other Indian manufacturer that gave rural India mobility and many livelihoods freedom in the form of XL Super moped. It is the vehicle that one working on fields or load carrier person would buy at a very cheap price. To keep sales going, TVS has recently given the XL Super a 4-stroke heart compared to the 2-stroke one earlier. This move was to keep sales happening in Metros’ too. 75K units for that moped are phenomenal IMO. In the scooters segment, one that pulls the strings is Jupiter. Overall a nice scooter but begs for a 125 cc heart over the 110cc one. Star City and Victor are the rural population kings that are consistently generating 5 digit marks. Apache is another silent seller with not many frequent iterations/refresh.

Yamaha: Strong sellers are Fascino and Ray in the scooter segment and FZ series getting numbers for the bike segment. Saluto and SZ series are their average movers. A narrow portfolio for a manufacturer with so much name and experience is surprising. With their R&D and customer base worldwide, they should ideally be having good bikes/scooters on sale here to capture the market share but I don’t see anything big happening anytime soon.

PS: This is the first time I am doing a Sales Analysis so please pardon any errors in the charts/analysis here.
a4anurag is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 9th October 2016, 20:59   #5
BANNED

REVENUE GENERATED BY TWO-WHEELER SALES IN INDIA

Inspired by the thread created by jpcoolguy on the Revenue Calculation for the cars sold in India, I felt why not do a basic calculation for the motorcycles/scooters sold in India.

I have used a simple formula for now but would like to get into the actual calculations soon. I know the formula isn't correct fully but would be a nice head-start and to give a rough idea.

Revenue = Ex-Showroom price x Sales Numbers

Revenue figures based on the order of Sales (Highest sales to Lowest)
August 2016: Two Wheeler Sales Figures & Analysis-order-sales.jpg

Revenue figures based on the order of Revenue (Highest sales to Lowest)
August 2016: Two Wheeler Sales Figures & Analysis-order-revenue.jpg

I have given ranking to make things easier. I have presented the Top 35 ones here so that readability isn't affected.

Reference Thread on Cars:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post4071783

Thanks jpcoolguy for the thread as I have used the same format for my calculation.
a4anurag is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 9th October 2016, 22:48   #6
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
SDP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th October 2016, 10:17   #7
BHPian

Well done on the analysis

Thanks for all this info.

One thing to point out -> Ninja 250 has long been discontinued and has only z250 in that portfolio. Do we have numbers for the N300 during the last few months?
Old 11th October 2016, 12:03   #8
BHPian

Any particular reason that there is no mention of Benelli? I read somewhere that they've sold more than 3000 bikes in their first year in India. If that is true, it will be good to include them in the analysis.
Old 11th October 2016, 16:19   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi Anurag, thank you for getting this thread out this month. Good set of insights too. Always difficult to get into detailed analysis in the two wheeler segment as there are typically no major changes.

The revenue numbers are an eye opener. 1500 crores for the Activa/Splendor, pretty sure their margins will be high as these two have been around a long time. Activa seems to be on the way to hit 300,000 units in October as the peak of the festival season kicks in.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2016, 16:40   #10
Senior - BHPian

I couldn't believe my eyes seeing the Mahindra 2-wheeler sales figures as IMHO they are the most noise-making company when it comes to advertising. It seems their over-smart ads didn't cut the ice like they do with Scorpio.

As I found the Activa over-rated, went ahead and bought Two Mahindra Duros four years back, now I am not surprised by the poor performance of Mahindra due to their very poor A.S.S. At the same time here in Goa, almost all manufacturers have very poor A.S.S.
Old 12th October 2016, 11:13   #11
BHPian

Thank you very much for your efforts. Such a detailed and in-depth analysis. Lots of numbers and revelations.

Though the competition is very strong at the top between Hero and Honda, there is definitely a great attempt to take a share in the pie from TVS, Bajaj, Yamaha, RE and others.

While lot of money is being put into R&D by the Indian manufacturers, there is threat to MNCs to get technology driven models, else it would be a short run for them in long run:-)
Old 14th October 2016, 16:33   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Model Level Sales with MoM Historical Details
Very good analysis and deep insights in to the 2-wheeler sales trends.

Sorry for nit-picking - the Avenger is available in 220 cc instead of 200 cc and also the spelling of Himalayan is wrong in the charts.

Few observations from my side -

1. Is the Apache's numbers include the 200 cc variants too? For the last 2 months, it has posted more than 30K numbers which is very high considering it's past numbers. Also I guess this is the first month where Apache was able to outsell Pulsar 150 cc. Good month for TVS with Victor too selling decent numbers.

2. Honda may be the king of Scooter segment and Hero may the king of entry level Motorcycle segment, but still Bajaj remains the king of Premium (150-220 cc) Motorcycle segment.

3. For Bajaj, Pulsar (150, 180, 220), Avenger (150, 220), V15 all these bring in good volumes and I am sure they might be enjoying higher margins in these vehicles. Surprised at the number of Pulsar 220 and Avenger 220 variants - they both combined sold almost close to Yamaha FZ.
Add to that the number of V15 (more than FZ) and Avenger 150 with close to 15K units. Pulsar 180 is their least selling variant in this segment but even that alone beats the Hunk/Xtreme combination from Hero and Hornet/Unicorn 160 combination from Honda. With that said, I don't know why they experimented with the pathetic Discover and Boxer 150 cc bikes.

4. I am glad to see the number of R15 sold, which opened the gates for the Performance bikes in India.

5. Honda must be wondering what is wrong with Hornet, it has plummeted to 2.5K levels in the last 2 months from the high 13-14K levels during the launch. Also the Shine losing its top spot to Glamour in the recent months must get them worried. I remember Shine was outperforming Glamour consistently but now recently it is reversed. But I don't think they will be concerned overall by the way Activa is selling, seriously I don't know how they are able to sell these many units month over month consistently.
jpcoolguy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2016, 18:05   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcoolguy View Post
Very good analysis and deep insights in to the 2-wheeler sales trends.

Sorry for nit-picking - the Avenger is available in 220 cc instead of 200 cc and also the spelling of Himalayan is wrong in the charts.

Few observations from my side -

1. Is the Apache's numbers include the 200 cc variants too? For the last 2 months, it has posted more than 30K numbers which is very high considering it's past numbers. Also I guess this is the first month where Apache was able to outsell Pulsar 150 cc. Good month for TVS with Victor too selling decent numbers.

The Apache numbers include the 160, 180 and 200 cc Variants all clubbed together since all three of the models fall under the 150-200 cc category under SIAM Classification.

Pulsar 150 still numbers must be are still higher than the Apache 160 numbers... although the Apache numbers has definitely shown a very good growth over the last year.

21 KARIZMAS in Aug..!!!!

Last edited by payeng : 14th October 2016 at 18:32.
Old 14th October 2016, 18:16   #14
Senior - BHPian

Is the KTM Duke 125 CC available in India? Saw it in the list of Motorcycles sold by Bajaj in the first pic of second post.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks