+ Bike like exhaust sound in a tiny single speed moped
+ Back seat can be converted to a luggage carrier
+ No features other than what is needed to run it, Like the old Nokia phones

What I Don't:
- Fit and finish is beyond toleration levels
- Cheap looking plastic parts in most used areas, switch controls
- Within 20 days of usage, metal parts started making a noise
- Headlamp could have been more powerful

First of all, I was thinking too much about posting this review on Team-BHP. I'm not sure this vehicle is really eligible to get the BHPians attention. Then somehow, I made up my mind that this also could be useful to someone in the forum which has more or less everything about the motor world. As this is a small and basic moped, this review will be small and simple too.

Selection Process:
For a long time, we were thinking of buying a vehicle in my wife's hometown for local errands. As the transport facilities are limited in that village, having your own vehicle is great for all local work and for meeting friends or relatives.

We discussed about buying a 2nd hand scooter, moving my old Bajaj Discover to the hometown and all other possible options. Also, this should be female friendly, so no bikes. But every option had its own pros and cons and the decision making process started moving favourably to a new buy.

Usage is very less in that village as its going to be used only whenever we visit. When we are back in Bangalore, there is no one to ride that moped till we are visiting again. So the requirement, features and usage is very less, as is the budget.

In the cheapest two wheelers search, invariably I ended up in a TVS showroom. After TVS 50 and TVS XL Super, the recent launch is TVS 100. Compared to the scooters segment, this basic moped seems to fit the requirements perfectly and with a happy heart, I went ahead on booking this moped.

TVS XL 100 - Ownership Review-allwithgrass.jpg

Booking and Delivery:
TVS Website shows 2 versions of XL Super and 2 versions of TVS 100, normal/comfort and Heavy Duty versions. But in the showroom, the only available version is the TVS 100 heavy duty with comfort seat and split seat options.

As the product is the cheapest one out in the market, I have to bear some inconveniences.

-Response to versions: No saar, only one version, production of all other versions has stopped.
-Colour Selection: Only one red color available saar, red colour production is less saar, all people like green only.
-Payment: Credit card then, it will take one day for the money to reach us saar, next day only we can deliver. (what..?)
-Fit and Finish: All the vehicles will be like this only saar, its not a problem saar.

Showroom people, accessories fitments guy, office people are responding like government bank officials. Except a few, they didn't care about selling a vehicle. After booking and payment, everything is done in a minutes time. I had some document issues, and they helped a lot with that. It doesn't feel like booking a vehicle for me, just a grocery shopping experience. They also gave me a free helmet. As expected, it is of poor quality and from an unknown brand.

While choosing the vehicle, I could see a long row of Green mopeds, a few blues and one red. They said green colour is the best selling one. As I have finalised RED already from the website pictures, I don't have a choice in selecting the vehicle. I showed them the misaligned front wheel mudguard and what they did is a shock to me. That showroom mechanic, gave a firm hit on that mudguard and said "we can't adjust more than this saar".

Payment done, we asked to load all the accessories and left the showroom that day.

After the weekend, I went to the showroom as per the schedule to take the vehicle. All the accessories are fitted and the vehicle is now looking good. They handover the key to me with some customary pictures and pooja done for the vehicle. They asked me to take the vehicle to the RTO office for registration. All done and vehicle purchase process completed.

Customary picture while giving the key.
TVS XL 100 - Ownership Review-customary.jpg

Start:
The first instruction from the showroom to start this moped is, don't accelerate while starting. First start after a long break should be done with choke switched on and then, leave it running for a while till the engine warms up.

I did the same and had no troubles in starting. Unlike the TVS XL super, the kicker is located on the right side in this moped, easy to use. Initially, the exhaust sound is like a bike and nowhere related to a moped which I didn't like. After a few days, I don't feel any difference and all seemed perfect. Either engine sound has smoothened a bit or my ears got used to it, don't know.

Engine/Ride:
4 stroke engine with single speed transmission does its job nicely. Though I couldn't feel the pulling power like older TVS mopeds. Engine specifications are 4.2 bhp @ 6000 rpm and 6.5 nm @ 3500 rpm. It takes some time to move the weight from a stand still. While running, acceleration is smooth and nice. In the initial days, while accelerating more than 40 kmph, I heard some bursting sound from exhaust. After 10 days, I couldn't hear that sound often. Though I'm following the speed limit for the first 1000 km, tested the bursting issue by accelerating more than 40 for a few times. Lets see after the 1st service.

Vehicle feels light as its only 79kg and easy to handle.

TVS XL 100 - Ownership Review-engine.jpg

Tyres:
It comes shod with 1.50 x 16 -6 ply rated TVS Simha tyres. I saw the marking of Max speed = 120 km on the tyres and was laughing about it - this moped won't even see 80 km/h in its lifetime. Grip is adequate for the rough village roads at slow speeds. 25 PSI for the front and 35 PSI for the back if single rider (40 PSI with pillion).

Seat:
By looking at the seats from the showroom, I opted for split seats for two reasons.
1. Split seats are much wider compared to the comfort version single seat.
2. I have the additional option to remove the back seat and use the carrier underneath. Also removing the back seat is a seconds job; put the key in the slot which is located under the back seat and twist & take the seat out just like any other scooter (but the seat will be completely detached from the vehicle).

Brake:
80mm drum at the front and 110mm drum at the back. Brakes are designed to stop you effectively if you religiously follow the speed limit. If you don't follow the speed limit, don't expect braking power...only slowing power!! By the usage, capacity, design, you can easily limit your acceleration temptations. This is just a small simple moped for local errands and strictly nothing else.

Lights:
Could have been better powered, though it shows what is ahead. In terms of brightness, my Blue Swan Fascino is miles ahead of this moped. In the initial days, I felt the low beam and high beam are misaligned. After realised that this is a TVS moped, I just pushed the headlight slightly down and all was perfect (Benefit of simple + basic). Indicators and stop lamps do their job, nothing to complain and nothing to feel great about.

Below picture shows less than what is in the real world. Actually, its a little more bright.
TVS XL 100 - Ownership Review-light.jpg

Fuel/Tank:
Only unleaded petrol unlike it's older siblings. Total capacity of the fuel tank is 4 litres which includes the 1.3 litre reserve.

Load:
I got a chance to test the loading and riding. Because I was doing a fencing job for my unused land at the village, a pile of sand is left over at the end of the work. I decided to carry it home and packed in 20+ cement bags. Loaded 1 bag at a time on the foot board and moved all of them home. No worries, no issues, only TVS moped can do such jobs in a jiffy. In the mean time, my relative came to help me in another old TVS XL super and he was loading 3 bags at a time and delivering it home faster than me! I doubt whether I can do this in any scooters available in the current market without worries.

In the specifications, it says that maximum gross weight is 209 kg. If we remove the 79 kg of the vehicle weight, only 130 kg can be loaded on the wheels. Practically we can't restrict to adults who are 65 kg, as my weight itself is around 80 kg. Its too tight a limit for 2 normal adults.

Accessories:
-Handle bar grip. Nothing to talk about.
-Foot board mat. I doubt there is any such thing fitted, because the floor mat appears to be fixed with the vehicle straight from the factory.
-Seat cover, tank cover, tool box cover.
-Child bar with a hook. I removed and bolted it back in reverse to avoid the hook posing a threat to the child.
-Saree guard - both sides.
-Safety grill for lights and indicators. Just to add some weight to the vehicle and for aesthetics. I think they are serving the purpose of safety too.
-Ladies grip with hook.
-Indicator buzzer.
-Rear view mirrors. I think only one is given from the factory, other one we have to buy.
-Steel carrier underneath the rear seat and extended steel carrier in the back.
-Both sides footrest for pillion. My wife complained as the footrest is not in the right position to use (it is close to the front while the pillion is sitting one sided).
-Side stand.
-Front bumper/crash guard.
-Number plate (we have to buy one)

Service and Support:
First 3 services are free in the 600 to 750 km interval. Only one year warranty and we have option to opt for additional 2 years extended warranty. I thought of doing it when visiting the service centre next time.
In terms of wishing for all festivals, and sending riding tips through SMS and reminding about the services, the TVS dealer scores 100 out of 100. I have not even received a single SMS from Yamaha after spending 64k for my Blue Swan.

Last edited by GTO : 17th January 2017 at 12:23. Reason: Spacing :). Thanks for sharing!
EPMV is offline   (69) Thanks
Old 16th January 2017, 15:21   #2
BHPian

re: TVS XL 100 - Ownership Review

Its time for the pictures:

Right moped for the right roads
TVS XL 100 - Ownership Review-narrowroute1.jpg

Front Look
TVS XL 100 - Ownership Review-allfront.jpg

Another view from the roadside
TVS XL 100 - Ownership Review-allwithroad.jpg

Back side (along with tail lamps)
TVS XL 100 - Ownership Review-back.jpg

Back Seat Carrier (Notice the key hole to remove the seat)
TVS XL 100 - Ownership Review-backseatcarrier.jpg

Instrument Cluster (Notice the sticker which says "don't mix oil")
TVS XL 100 - Ownership Review-dash.jpg

Top View of the Speedo Console
TVS XL 100 - Ownership Review-dashtop.jpg

Foot Board
TVS XL 100 - Ownership Review-footboard1.jpg

Close look at the front
TVS XL 100 - Ownership Review-front.jpg

Left handle bar and controls
TVS XL 100 - Ownership Review-handlel.jpg

Right handle bar
TVS XL 100 - Ownership Review-handler.jpg

Right side kicker
TVS XL 100 - Ownership Review-kicker.jpg

Left side mirror
TVS XL 100 - Ownership Review-rvml1.jpg

Right side mirror
TVS XL 100 - Ownership Review-rvmr1.jpg

Seats
TVS XL 100 - Ownership Review-seats1.jpg

Speedo meter console (pretty simple)
TVS XL 100 - Ownership Review-speedo.jpg

Front wheel
TVS XL 100 - Ownership Review-wheelf1.jpg

Rear wheel
TVS XL 100 - Ownership Review-wheelb.jpg

Simple yet (not so) significant things:
- Single key for five purposes, super convenient. 1. Switch ON to ride, 2. Side Lock, 3. Petrol Tank Cap Lock, 4. Under Seat Lock, 5. Tool Box Lock.

- Right side kicker is positioned a little away from the body and while kicking, my footwear always hits the silencer pipe. Obviously in a few months, we will see clear marks on the pipe due to these scratches.

- Horn volume is enough to tell others that you are coming. No complaints.

- I tried removing the back seat with the lock once and figured out that the locks are not in the proper place to secure the seat. The small plastic one is bent already, I have fixed it by putting some pressure, Don't know how long it will stay in place.

- Indicator buttons and light buttons are extremely poor in quality.

- Indicator button style is a generation old, finding it difficult to switch it off by keeping it in the center.

- Light buttons are positioned a little away from the on / off paint markings.

- Adjustable head light (any time any road, if you need to adjust the beam, just press the head light).

- Side stand is strong and silent in action (compared to my Fascino side stand, its a lot more silent).

- Petrol tank cap is a perfect fit. But while removing it for the first time, I tried all possible ways, couldn't slot the key in. After some time with a firm push (thinking it may break), it went in and is working from that time.

- As stated already, all steel parts, accessories are fitted with 'out of place' logic. Mostly, you will find everything out of place or misaligned.

Finally, Thanks for reading the review and post your comments.

Last edited by GTO : 17th January 2017 at 12:28. Reason: Spacing. Thanks for sharing!
EPMV is offline   (123) Thanks
Old 17th January 2017, 11:13   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: TVS XL 100 - Ownership Review

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the 2-wheeler Section. Thanks for sharing!

Super review of a unique vehicle, always love reading these. Thank you for writing .

Last edited by GTO : 17th January 2017 at 11:15.
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th January 2017, 11:39   #4
BHPian

TVS XL series is so popular down south that it can be called the national vehicle in TN. People appreciate its fantastic VFM and go anywhere, do anything nature. Despite its popularity, reviews are hard to find. Thanks for this great ownership review.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPMV View Post
In the specifications, it says maximum gross weight is 209 kg. If we remove the 79 kg of vehicle weight, only 130 kg we can load on this wheels. Practically we can't restrict the adults who are more than 65 kg, and my weight itself around 80kg, its too tight limit for 2 normal adults.
I am sure XL can carry many times more than what the spec sheet says. I have seen people carrying granite on it. It is a really tough vehicle.

Last edited by deerhunter : 17th January 2017 at 11:48.
deerhunter is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th January 2017, 11:47   #5
BHPian

A very well written and refreshing review. Brought back memories of my grandfather's old Luna.
amitg79 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2017, 13:41   #6
BHPian

thanks for sharing. How I would love to buy a vehicle like this!!! Had one (Hero Puch) during the college days and thoroughly enjoyed it. Should allow you to beat city (Bangalore City for sure) traffic better than a 125cc scooter or 180 cc motorcycle. If I recall right, the 4 stroke engines are fairly pleasant sounding.
Do you have pics with the rear seat converted into a luggage carrier/ rear seat removed?

Any mods planned
kmadhok is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th January 2017, 13:44   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
First of all, I was thinking too much about posting this review on Team-BHP. I'm not sure this vehicle is really eligible to get the BHPians attention.
And a BIG THANK YOU for posting the review.
Loved the details and really crisp images.

bblost is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th January 2017, 14:06   #8
BHPian

Quote:
First of all, I was thinking too much about posting this review on Team-BHP. I'm not sure this vehicle is really eligible to get the BHPians attention.
Great review mate! Of a unique, tried and tested workhorse, the pulse of rural India. It is more than eligible to get our attention. In fact it will garner more attention than a B2 segment hatchback review or a C1 segment sedan review of which there are 100s of reviews.

My grandfather had a TVS 50 in the 80's. Used to ride pillion on it a lot in my native. I am sure every Indian will get his heart tugged into a nostalgic era whenever he sees a TVS moped. All the best with the new vehicle.

Last edited by rageshgr : 17th January 2017 at 14:20.
rageshgr is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th January 2017, 14:06   #9
BHPian

Thanks for ownership review. Brought back memories. While learning riding, used to ride the TVS 50 that our friendly electrician used to have and my sisters Kinetic Luna.

I used to find the riding position fairly tight and mostly used to sit midway between the front and back seats. From the images, you look fairly tall. But at the same time looks like this bike has grown a bit compared to the TVS 50. Do you face similar situation in this?

One more memory is that of the snappy two stroke motor which used to zip forward and make the handlebar feel very light. I understand the four stroke motor has dulled this feeling.

Thank you again for bring 20 year old memories. Appreciate it.
rohitoasis is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th January 2017, 14:23   #10
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

That's a very unique product that you have reviewed - never expected a review of the TVS XL on the forum.

Things I liked :
- Comfortable and wide seats
- Wide rear view mirrors (why don't we have such mirrors on our bikes). Now days most of the motorcycle are more cosmetic than functional.

If you looking for some modifications - this is the best I have seen on a moped.
Attached Thumbnails
TVS XL 100 - Ownership Review-images-29.jpg  

v12 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 17th January 2017, 14:24   #11
Senior - BHPian

Many Thanks for writing up this review. I enjoyed reading it, and there was a lot of nostalgia too! The basic chassis and design of this moped goes back to the early 1990's, when TVS realised that the CVT (or variomatic) transmission was the future, and designed a moped that they called "Astra". I owned one. Even back then, I really could go anywhere with that moped.
The TVS Astra flopped spectacularly. The CVT was super unreliable, as the Astra was their test bed for it. I would know that because my uncle supplied components for the transmission and was involved as a vendor during the design & development. They refined the design, and put it into a small scooter called - Scooty. The rest is history.
The XL Super of today is the successor of that old TVS Astra. I guess it is still built on the same chassis?

How does the new 4-stroke engine compare to the old 2-stroke one? Does it still have the enormous torque and 0-30 acceleration?
KiloAlpha is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th January 2017, 14:29   #12
Team-BHP Support

The biggest eye-opener for me is that TVS XL is available in a colour other than green.

Does TVS XL really have single speed transmission? How does it manage to get to 80 kmph in one gear?
SmartCat is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 17th January 2017, 14:50   #13
BHPian

Excellent Review and Well written

But I must confess that TVS 50 XL/Super is the most hated vehicle by me, not because they are bad, but because they are so irritating on road.

I myself had a TVS Astra in School and first year of my college and used to love the moped. There is no argument that they are incredible good moped.

But when I started driving 4 wheeler, realized how irritating these TVS 50s can be on the roads. With all the loads, cylinders, live chickens, snacks stacked on them to the brink, the mopeds zoom in and out of the traffic. Its never easy to overtake or lose a TVS moped in the city traffic, they are there somewhere in that blind spot to only pop in front of you unexpectedly.

Regards
chandrda is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th January 2017, 15:03   #14
BHPian

I'm really glad that I have kindled lot of nostalgic memories of the members. Happy to hear that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Super review of a unique vehicle, always love reading these. Thank you for writing .
Thank You GTO.!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerhunter View Post
I have seen people carrying granite on it. It is a really tough vehicle.
Yes. In my home town I can see people loading with it all possible items. Despite the specifications, its a all rounder vehicle, though I doubt the current generation build quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmadhok View Post
Do you have pics with the rear seat converted into a luggage carrier/ rear seat removed? Any mods planned
I will post the picture after the next home town visit. Right now its taking rest in my native. Mods on this moped? OMG. This looks like a modified vehicle with all accessories straight from the showroom itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
And a BIG THANK YOU for posting the review.
Loved the details and really crisp images.
Thanks a lot for the appreciation. Happy to hear my Moto G3 camera works well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
- Wide rear view mirrors (why don't we have such mirrors on our bikes). Now days most of the motorcycle are more cosmetic than functional. If you looking for some modifications - this is the best I have seen on a moped.
Completely agree on your point on current gen features which are more of a form than function. The RVMs in TVS XL 100 are smaller in size only, but does the job. Nicely modified moped, I have no such ideas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
How does the new 4-stroke engine compare to the old 2-stroke one? Does it still have the enormous torque and 0-30 acceleration?
Thanks for the nostalgic memories. In terms of torque and acceleration, this carries the same new generation effects and flaws. we can't compare the excellent power of old TVS 50 with this, that was a gem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Does TVS XL really have single speed transmission? How does it manage to get to 80 kmph in one gear?
I have no idea on the transmission mechanism, just pulled the specifications from the manual which says "single speed transmission".

Last edited by EPMV : 17th January 2017 at 15:05.
EPMV is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th January 2017, 15:27   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice review EPMV. Thanks for sharing. If your Fascino review was unique, this is even more so . Always nice to read reviews of products that rarely get reviewed anywhere. I am sure TVS will be very happy.

Even after all these years, the XL is the biggest selling two wheeler for TVS (70-80,000 units a month). A big indication as to how much of status it has among its target user base.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks