Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2017, 18:14   #16
BHPian

re: TVS Apache RTR 200 4V. EDIT: Slipper clutch installed

Congrats on your buy. Its an amazing machine.

The apache is one of the best sportourer you can get and I say this after my experience with multiple bikes (pulsars, bullets, apache, unicorn etc). I havnt riden the duke and so would exclude it for now.

I had a pulsar for around 5 years and then brought a pre owned 160 FI. I took a TD of the FI immediately after riding a P220 and I just couldn't get over it. Went ahead and got it and had a really blissful ownership till I sold it again. Service too was never a problem compared to the problematic exp with Bajaj. I still miss it and I feel if ever I get a replacement, it will be an apache only.
centaur is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2017, 08:27   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omkar View Post
First of all, congratulations on the bike and thank you for the review.

Nice comparison video with the Dominar 400. Both headlamp units preform really well, but IMO the Low beam of the 200 4V has a much wider spread than the Dominar. While the High beam of the Dominar provides better illumination than the 200 4V. Would like to know about your thoughts on both the headlamp units.

Also, how's the seating position (comfort level, cushioning, etc.) in comparison with your old RTR180 and Dominar?

Lastly, wish you happy miles for the future...
Thanks alot Omkar. You are right about the headlight comparison & I would only add to it that due to LEDs Dominar has excellent brightness.
About seating position I would say that 180 has a more sporty seating position (forward leaning) than 200. The raised handle bar & superior seats on the 200 makes it a comfortable to ride bike. Surprisingly Dominar 400 & RTR 200 have similar handle bar height but RTR feels a bit taller & way more lighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
Congrats on the RTR 200. Its a very good city tool with a nice mid range. Enjoy many more miles on the RTR.

You see very few RTR 200s as TVS is not too bothered about selling more here in India
Thanks nkrishnap, RTR 160/180/200 feels very much at home while riding in the city. Don't know the exact sales number but the 200 does feels exclusive even after a year of launch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur View Post
Congrats on your buy. Its an amazing machine.

The apache is one of the best sportourer you can get and I say this after my experience with multiple bikes (pulsars, bullets, apache, unicorn etc). I havnt riden the duke and so would exclude it for now.

I had a pulsar for around 5 years and then brought a pre owned 160 FI. I took a TD of the FI immediately after riding a P220 and I just couldn't get over it. Went ahead and got it and had a really blissful ownership till I sold it again. Service too was never a problem compared to the problematic exp with Bajaj. I still miss it and I feel if ever I get a replacement, it will be an apache only.
Thank you centaur. If you think 160/180 are good as sports tourer then I would suggest you to ride the 200, Believe me I never thought my next upgrade after 180 will be a 20cc update until I realized that it was not just about displacement.

Last edited by Sportztourer : 22nd February 2017 at 08:40. Reason: adding more information.
Sportztourer is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2017, 10:47   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportztourer View Post
....... until I realized that it was not just about displacement.
I realized this the day I TD the 220 and apache back to back. While it has been on the Indian Road Scene for a really long time, the exhaust note of the 160/180 is still something I drool over and it actually makes you "feel" the punch that small one packs.

I missed mentioning in my previous post that when I was in the market looking for used bike, the apache was never ever even on my list because I found to it to be too small in size and I am a sucker for a decent sized ones like the CBZXtreme. However, one ride on this underdog and I am still hooked to it.

I feel as a package, the apache is an excellent machine but TVS isnt really marketing it aggressively. If they did, I am sure they apache would be more on the streets
centaur is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2017, 17:24   #19
BHPian

This mod/addition is inspired by narula123's post
Quote:
Originally Posted by narula123 View Post
So while i was shopping for the cowl on ebay, i happened to bump onto another product
Presenting the Motoskin scratch protector film for your motorcycle meter console.
Earlier I had plans to do a DIY on this but due to lack of time and my fear of getting the speedometer display scratched before applying guard (Murphyji's law) I went to 3M for a PPF on my speedometer display.
TVS Apache RTR 200 4V. EDIT: Slipper clutch installed-img_20170212_182745-copy.jpg
My RTR 200 at 3M Car Care
TVS Apache RTR 200 4V. EDIT: Slipper clutch installed-img_20170212_183717194-copy.jpg
Experts applying PPF. They said as the speedometer design is flat and single unit so it is easy to apply PPF on it.

TVS Apache RTR 200 4V. EDIT: Slipper clutch installed-img_20170211_143957884_hdr-copy.jpg
^Final result. Though it is hard to notice the PPF in this picture but you can easily see it once you have some dust on the console which casts shadow below.

I am very happy with this PPF application as it has reduced the coefficient of drag and the aerodynamics of my bike have improved drastically which helps me to achieve higher top speed, OK this was a joke/sarcasm & it should clearly explain I am not promoting 3M or any other brand here.

Did a in depth video on chain-sprocket cleaning and lubrication which should help other riders here

Ride safe.
Sportztourer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2017, 18:37   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Using a chain cleaner would have been more apt instead of diesel. But mind you chain cleaner costs way more compared to diesel.

Never clean the chain when the engine is running or the gear engaged when the engine is running. WRONG Method. You can as well scrub it without even turning the engine one. Time consuming? Definitely yes, but way safer than the method you have put up in the video.

No offense mate.
nkrishnap is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2017, 20:05   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
Using a chain cleaner would have been more apt instead of diesel. But mind you chain cleaner costs way more compared to diesel.

Never clean the chain when the engine is running or the gear engaged when the engine is running. WRONG Method. You can as well scrub it without even turning the engine one. Time consuming? Definitely yes, but way safer than the method you have put up in the video.

No offense mate.
Chain cleaner is nothing but degreaser. Chemically diesel is one of the best degreaser with good solubility & lower volatile nature, which helps to drain the dirt deposits from the chain link. Flash point of diesel is high enough to make it safe to use it on chain (any ways we clean the residue) and it doesn't ignites with spark/static. Only thing that should of concern is the oxidation rate of a degreaser which very slow in case of diesel (but present) so it necessary that we wipe out the residue diesel. Being a strong degreaser it cleans thoroughly but we should always take care that latter the chain links are lubed propertly. Best example of this is my RTR 180's chain (o ring type) which is still going strong at close to 50k km on the odometer.
However in cold countries where temperature reaches lower than 0 deg C, diesel fails to act as degreaser as it has a tendency to turn into jelly state when stored in open (non insulated/iso-thermal way). In such case citrus based degreaser are used.
Yes you are absolutely right about keeping the fingers away from the running chain the internet is full of such warning & we were warned by our parents about the same from our cycling days. Here I have just used the running chain to spray & used brush which does not involve any physical contact with the chain. It's not about time consuming but the running chain applies centrifugal force on the diesel & soluble dirt in it, & finally all the dirt comes out (washing machine principle). If you see in the video rest all the cleaning work was done by hand with engine off.The video also consist a strict warning on this & how everyone should be careful with a descriptive/warning video in the end.
In the end I would say why should I take offence, infact I really happy that someone here is concerned about me & my well being. Thanks mate.
Sportztourer is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th February 2017, 09:27   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello everyone,
This is my first Team-BHP review & I hope that I can make this review useful to the readers.
Excellent review.

Few questions, as I did not test ride the vehicle -
Quote:
- Comfortable seating posture.
Most reviews of RTR200 mentioned about the protruding tank shrouds causing discomfort in placing the knees while riding. Does the knee hit the tank shroud? Did you find any other ergonomic issue due to high set foot pegs?

Quote:
- Front brakes are good but are bigger disc or a 3 piston calliper (like hornet 160) would have boosted rider’s confidence.
Pardon me, as I did not ride Hornet. Are the brakes spongy? IMHO, the brakes of the RTR180/160 are sharp, does it feel like a downgrade on the RTR200?

Thanks.
jetsetgo08 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2017, 12:34   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsetgo08 View Post
Excellent review.

Few questions, as I did not test ride the vehicle -

Most reviews of RTR200 mentioned about the protruding tank shrouds causing discomfort in placing the knees while riding. Does the knee hit the tank shroud? Did you find any other ergonomic issue due to high set foot pegs?

Pardon me, as I did not ride Hornet. Are the brakes spongy? IMHO, the brakes of the RTR180/160 are sharp, does it feel like a downgrade on the RTR200?

Thanks.
Thanks jetsetgo08 for the appreciation.

A. The tank is perfectly sculpted to set the rider's knee in position. No hitting of knee to tank shrouds, not even for a 6 feet tall friend of mine. Earlier Apaches were not known to be tall rider friendly but this one won't disappoint tall riders. I am loving this new seat set up, handle bar height & hence the ergonomics is way better than that of 160/180.

B. The RTR 200 shares a lot of parts form the 160/180 bin. The front brake assembly is exactly the same for 160, 180 & 200. The disc, pads, caliper, the master cylinder all are same & so is the braking performance (Nothing to complain). My point was TVS upgraded the rear brakes to a 240mm one so why not the front one. The bike is faster than the 160/180 & there is a 10kg weight gain so with this higher momentum a better front brake would have been appreciated. This is just a rider's wish no faults with the brakes or the bike, actually it's really hard to find faults in this bike
Sportztourer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th March 2017, 16:19   #24
BHPian

This weekend rode to the famous Ranjangaon Ganpati temple. The ride started from Navi Mumbai in the morning to Pune. Ranjangaon is around 60km from Pune station (met a friend there). After crossing the Wagholi traffic you can start enjoying the Nagar road. The RTR 200 performed really well both on highway & city traffic. I restricted my cruising speeds to 80kmph & I felt there is ample power in storage at these speeds as a small twist of wrist can easily propel you to 90-100kmph in no time.
TVS Apache RTR 200 4V. EDIT: Slipper clutch installed-camera360_2017_3_7_034127.jpg
Outside the Ranjangaon Ganpati temple.

Overall happy with the bike more for its ergonomics & comfort, performance is always a bonus for me.

Last edited by Sportztourer : 6th March 2017 at 16:30. Reason: Incomplete post.
Sportztourer is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th March 2017, 15:38   #25
BHPian

Rs 92, Yes Ninety two rupees only was the amount that I paid for my 2nd free service. 2nd service was preponed to ~2200km (will mention the reason in upcoming posts). 2nd service has no scheduled oil change it includes overall check up, washing, filter cleaning etc. The chain slack was adjusted followed by chain lubrication. No complains, the bike is running very well.

Next oil change is scheduled at 3rd service in between 5000-6000km, which I felt is on higher side for my kind of usage so got 2 bottles of shell ultra (1200ml required) & got into work
Sportztourer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th March 2017, 16:49   #26

Good review there, I just got my Grey A200 and such an easy bike to ride.(my Previous Bike was D390 so its obvious )
To be frank after shifting to Pune from Bangalore, I was planning to get a bike which I can use daily in Pune traffic and weekend rides to near by places. I narrowed down to P200, A180 ABS, R15 Version S. Out of all those, R15 looks stronger contender as I have already owned the bike once and I loved every day of it. However, I somehow felt I should try a bike I can do little off roading and R15 might not fit the deal. Did test Ride of P200 and A180 back to back and felt P200 much better in every-way. A180 had some vibes which I couldn't ignore (Not sure was it just test bike or generally). With almost zeroed down to P200, i took a gamble and test rode A200 and I am glad I did.
Loved the throttler response and vibration free ride all the way till 110 km/h. I am generally slow rider and 80 to 100 is my comfortable limit. Dropped plan for P200 and booked A200 straight way. Haven't done any touring on it so cant be sure on long riding experience but riding it in City is fun and easy.
I still miss my D390 when I need quick overtake but its my Ex now and shouldn't be thinking alot about it.
Drive&Smile is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th March 2017, 19:50   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drive&Smile View Post
A180 had some vibes which I couldn't ignore (Not sure was it just test bike or generally).
Good choice of picking up the Apache 200 instead of the 180. The vibrations of the 180 (and also 160) are not confined to the test bikes. It is present in all bikes and they are highest when accelerating between 4000-6000rpm and while decelerating between 5000-4000rpm. How do I know? I owned a slew of 160/180 for quite some time and have lived with them. In comparison, the 200 is a much better engine overall and the vibes are confined only to the higher rpm range of 8000 and above and even there it is a minor buzz and not the worrisome hand and foot massage that the 180 and 160 gives. Congratulations on the bike and do keep us updated on how it fares.
abhinav.s is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th March 2017, 01:48   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drive&Smile View Post
Good review there, I just got my Grey A200 and such an easy bike to ride.
I still miss my D390 when I need quick overtake but its my Ex now and shouldn't be thinking alot about it.
Congratulations on the RTR 200. I hope you are enjoying the comfort of KYB & plush seats on the 200 in comparison to that of your ex.
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Good choice of picking up the Apache 200 instead of the 180. The vibrations of the 180 (and also 160) are not confined to the test bikes. It is present in all bikes and they are highest when accelerating between 4000-6000rpm and while decelerating between 5000-4000rpm. How do I know? I owned a slew of 160/180 for quite some time and have lived with them. In comparison, the 200 is a much better engine overall and the vibes are confined only to the higher rpm range of 8000 and above and even there it is a minor buzz and not the worrisome hand and foot massage that the 180 and 160 gives. Congratulations on the bike and do keep us updated on how it fares.
You spoke from heart like a true 160/180 rider, how can I relate? Well I had the 180 for ~50k km
Sportztourer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2017, 09:43   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Next oil change is scheduled at 3rd service in between 5000-6000km, which I felt is on higher side for my kind of usage so got 2 bottles of shell ultra (1200ml required) & got into work
What made you go for Shell Helix Ultra? Which one did you opt 10W-40 or 15W-50?

I have been using Motul 300V as far as I can recollect and done over 1 lakh kms by sticking to Motul 300V, have no regrets at all. Riding long hours at full throttle has almost no impact on how the engine behaves.
nkrishnap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2017, 10:54   #30
BHPian

What's the gear ratio you are riding ? As i feel 1st and 2nd gear it doesn't pull like pulsar 200 but post 3rd gear you can push it to 80-90 kmph very fast.

Also using a different oil brand won't hamper the warranty?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks