Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Best 150cc bike in India !!
Honda Unicorn 61 30.65%
Bajaj Pulsar 150 60 30.15%
TVS Apache 47 23.62%
HH Achiever 2 1.01%
HH CBZ Xtreme 29 14.57%
Voters: 199. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 23rd December 2016, 08:25   #91
BHPian

Re: Which is the best 150cc bike???

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
EDIT: @The_Brutailer, since you are a long term owner, it would be good if you could explain what you mean by high tech engine like Yamaha? From the specs sheet the FZ has the same engine that it had earlier and makes almost 1.5BHP lesser than the older version while it adds Fuel injection. So I am unsure what is high tech about it.
The Gixxer is more powerful, agreed but when i rode the FZ, I personally felt it was smoother motor. Also, gearshifts on Gixxer are very clunky compared to Yamaha. I also prefer the FZ's handling more.Now why didn't I buy FZ then? Because I was a newbie back then and went entirely based on online reviews. But honestly, I'm a bit biased towards FZ because I'm extremely bored by Gixxer now.

Anyone buying a new motorcycle should test ride all the bikes. Between FZ and Gixxer you can't really go wrong. In fact, since Gixxer is a carb bike, it'll be easier to maintain and fix as well. So yeah, test ride and buy which one suits you best.

In my experience, things I don't like about Gixxer :
- Gearshifts compared to Yamaha
- After sales and service
- Brakes
- "Feel/Sound" of the motor

Last edited by The Brutailer : 23rd December 2016 at 08:27.
Old 23rd December 2016, 14:57   #92
Team-BHP Support

For me on a personal level, I somehow couldn't connect with the Suzuki. For me, the seat, foot peg & handlebar ratio didn't feel as good as that of the FZ, but I will do a TD prior to getting one of them.

Nothing about the Hornet? I just wish it came with FI.
Old 23rd December 2016, 15:17   #93
BHPian

Why not Honda CBR 150?
Old 23rd December 2016, 17:08   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
For me on a personal level, I somehow couldn't connect with the Suzuki. For me, the seat, foot peg & handlebar ratio didn't feel as good as that of the FZ, but I will do a TD prior to getting one of them.
As i mentioned earlier, this varies from rider to rider based on the various physical attributes. So yes a test ride is definitely in order before you pick one up.

Quote:
Nothing about the Hornet? I just wish it came with FI.
The Hornet test ride was a very short one that too after almost a fight with the showroom staff for a test ride bike. Could not get much feel for the bike in that distance. And owing to the notorious Honda showrooms and service centers with careless staff, did not venture into putting my money on it. Else I would have tried various other showrooms until i landed a longer test ride. The Honda was the first test ride after which I test rode the Suzuki as the showrooms were practically opposite to each other. Since the Gixxer ride was longer and was allowed to take it alone, could decide on it after that first ride itself.
Old 24th December 2016, 08:47   #95
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by farhadtarapore View Post
Why not Honda CBR 150?
I already have a CBR-250R. And I do not want a faired bike for my commuting purposes now. Heck, I think, all my next bikes just might be all nakeds.

My mechanic did praise the 150R and I know it will be a sweet handler. Precisely, this is what I want in this bike and the second purchase I would make, hence I am not looking for big bikes with longer wheelbase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Since the Gixxer ride was longer and was allowed to take it alone, could decide on it after that first ride itself.
I don't have those issues thankfully and one friend has got himself a Hornet 160 and I can keep it till I wish to. Winter starts are a pain if you are used to riding fuel injected bikes since past 8+ years.

Last edited by Sheel : 24th December 2016 at 08:48.
Old 6th January 2017, 22:58   #96
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, a quick one. Will the sub 200cc bikes be comfortable for touring 500 odd kms (one way)? I am primarily checking about the faired versions like the Gixxer SF Fi or the CBR 150. May be the RS 200 as well. Which will be the best pick for this job? Does any of the bikes in this segment come with ABS?

From a reliability / performance perspective, will these give any trouble if a day long riding is performed on it at cruising speeds (90-100 kmph)?
Old 6th January 2017, 23:09   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Guys, a quick one. Will the sub 200cc bikes be comfortable for touring 500 odd kms (one way)? I am primarily checking about the faired versions like the Gixxer SF Fi or the CBR 150. May be the RS 200 as well. Which will be the best pick for this job? Does any of the bikes in this segment come with ABS?

From a reliability / performance perspective, will these give any trouble if a day long riding is performed on it at cruising speeds (90-100 kmph)?
All the bikes you mentioned can do 500kms in a day but the rider will face a lot of fatigue, plus constant high rpm not good for a small 150cc air cooled engine. ABS under 200cc options are TVS Apache and RS200 (Single channel).
The bike which can do 100kmph all day and keep the rider relaxed - Cbr250.
Mashblue is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2017, 21:15   #98
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Guys, a quick one. Will the sub 200cc bikes be comfortable for touring 500 odd kms (one way)?
Why sub 200cc? Just 3 bikes IMO, R15/CBR-150R and KTM-200.

If you are open for used deals, plenty of options would be in form of Ninja 250R/300. Maybe R3's and of course the CBR-250R and D-390.

Suzuki & Yamaha's 250's are just around the corner though.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2017, 22:04   #99
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashblue View Post
All the bikes you mentioned can do 500kms in a day but the rider will face a lot of fatigue, plus constant high rpm not good for a small 150cc air cooled engine. ABS under 200cc options are TVS Apache and RS200 (Single channel).
The bike which can do 100kmph all day and keep the rider relaxed - Cbr250.
Quote:
Why sub 200cc? Just 3 bikes IMO, R15/CBR-150R and KTM-200.

If you are open for used deals, plenty of options would be in form of Ninja 250R/300. Maybe R3's and of course the CBR-250R and D-390.

Suzuki & Yamaha's 250's are just around the corner though.
Thank you! I think the responses covers a whole lot of points. One of the reasons why I looked at sub 200 cc is the FE. And then the maintenance costs & experience. And then, I am more of a cruiser, so was thinking the 150 cc may satisfy me on the power front.

Yes, touring bike also needs to be comfortable, so I understand sub 200cc may not be the best for this purpose.

Pre-loved versions are definitely a good option and I think it makes sense too for reliable vehicles from the Japanese companies. Being a not-so experienced rider, I'll definitely give brownie points for ABS. Sadly, Ninja & R3 don't come with this option for the price it retails at. A very sad state.

Edit:: I was thinking what fueled the thought of a 150 cc bike suddenly and realised it's the positive feedback on the Gixxer SF Fi variant (by powerdrift). It's got fairing, touted to be a good handler, comfy as I understand and a good 50 kmpl claimed FE. The only downside is the lack of ABS, which anyway none of the bikes in the segment has.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 8th January 2017 at 22:13. Reason: Added "Edit" portion
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2017, 22:55   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The only downside is the lack of ABS, which anyway none of the bikes in the segment has.
TVS Apache RTR 180 comes with ABS, but it's not a cruiser which I guess is what you are looking for.

I would suggest taking a look at & a TD of the Bajaj Avenger series (Street 150, Street 220 and Cruise 220) too. You might be pleasantly surprised.

Cheers,
Vikram
comfortablynumb is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 8th January 2017, 23:09   #101
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
...I would suggest taking a look at & a TD of the Bajaj Avenger series (Street 150, Street 220 and Cruise 220) too. You might be pleasantly surprised...
My room mates have an Avenger 220 & an Enfield 500 classic each. I prefer to ride pillion on the Avenger though the Enfield's pulling power is crazy.

Avenger has very comfortable suspension with a soft backrest and I am told the ride position is also very relaxed though I haven't ridden it yet. Couple of my friends also have the Avenger and all of them are happy with it. The only complaint I believe, is the larger turning radius.

Am sure this can be another option, if I relax two conditions - ABS & "fairing". I guess the windshield on the cruise might still save the rider from the wind blast.
Old 9th January 2017, 08:39   #102

Im sorry but why aren't the yamahas included in the picture? I feel R15, Fzs ,fazer are better bikes. Even Suzuki gixxer is.
Old 10th January 2017, 23:43   #103
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul4 View Post
Im sorry but why aren't the yamahas included in the picture? I feel R15, Fzs ,fazer are better bikes. Even Suzuki gixxer is.
I guess you are talking about the options listed in the poll? The thread is quite old and I doubt any of the vehicles you listed were available at that point of time.
Old 11th January 2017, 09:55   #104

Quote:
I guess you are talking about the options listed in the poll? The thread is quite old and I doubt any of the vehicles you listed were available at that point of time.
My bad! I Din't see the date the post was created
Old 12th January 2017, 20:51   #105
BHPian

Quote:

Edit:: I was thinking what fueled the thought of a 150 cc bike suddenly and realised it's the positive feedback on the Gixxer SF Fi variant (by powerdrift). It's got fairing, touted to be a good handler, comfy as I understand and a good 50 kmpl claimed FE. The only downside is the lack of ABS, which anyway none of the bikes in the segment has.
I recently did a ride from Bangalore to Spiti valley in my R15 S - yes, you read it right, it was an R15 albeit with the single seat, not that it mattered since the only pillion I had was a gym bag tethered by bungee cord

If you are considering the Gix SF, I would urge you to consider the baby R, at least you get a real race ready bike with clipons, fuel injection and liquid cooling. It can do early triple digit speeds all day long without breaking a sweat and on good roads can give many other bigger rivals some run for their money. Comfort? Well we cannot have it all, the rock hard suspension which is a boon for handling can make your teeth rattle which I experienced high up in Spiti, where in any case it the royal enfields rule. You can also pick up a well cared for used one as its a jap, the engine is bomb proof.

Between the CBR 150 and the R, I would pick the latter, the kit and the tech is better than the former even though power specs are pretty much the same.
hothatchaway is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks