Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2017, 21:46   #16
eko
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dextor View Post
And again in morning bike will have tough time to start with choke on.
The bike has to start on first or second kick with choke if the carburetor setting is correct. If it takes more kicks to start then choke is not working right. Have the carburetor stripped and the choke circuit checked, to fix the problem. If carburetor setting is rich, then the engine will start without choke.
Before blaming choke you have to ensure that sufficient fuel is in carburetor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gendarmee View Post

I don't intend to hijack the thread. Here are 2 problems with my 125.
Both your problems are due to the same reason. Your engine is running rich. Confirm this by reading the color of plug, which will be blackish. The richness could be due to faulty setting of air screw, jet needle or leaky float valve .
Or could be a blocked or wet air filter element.

Last edited by GTO : 20th May 2017 at 09:11. Reason: Merging back to back posts
eko is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2017, 04:26   #17
BANNED

Re: Honda Activa: Engine idling & stalling issue caused by faulty "O" ring fitment (carburetor)

Post the 'O' ring change and issue resolution, the scooter has done 300+ kms and it has been running perfectly so far.

Honda Activa: Engine idling & stalling issue caused by faulty "O" ring fitment (carburetor)-img_20170529_144122600x1067.jpg

Odometer has crossed 3070 kms (missed clicking the image at 3000) and no issues of the engine switching off or any kind of judder that I faced initially.

Idling is consistent and the acceleration from 0 too is smoother.

Very happy with the scooter now. At 4K will do the oil change myself. Shall update the thread as the scooter clocks miles.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2017, 09:46   #18
BHPian

Re: Honda Activa: Engine idling & stalling issue caused by faulty "O" ring fitment (carburetor)

I too have a 2.5 year old activa 125 (got it almost from the first set of vehicles I guess) and I must say I am kind of relieved looking at this thread. I have been having cold start issues from day 1 and the other regular issues as well of improper idling and vibrations. Every service these issues got reported but they were never completely resolved. Will check on the O ring now since that could be an issue
Old 30th May 2017, 10:16   #19
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur View Post
I too have a 2.5 year old activa 125 (got it almost from the first set of vehicles I guess) and I must say I am kind of relieved looking at this thread.
Please do get it check ASAP sir, could solve all issues since what that O ring does is restricts fuel flow and pumps in more air.

If you're scooter to gets solved of this issue then Honda must do a recall on this misfit O ring in the carb.
Old 8th June 2017, 16:45   #20
BHPian

It's not the "Fuel screw" it's the "Air screw". These carburetors have an Air screw adjustment. CV carbs have a fuel screw whereas most carburetors like the ones on your Activa ( Keihin PB series) and my Access ( Mikuni VM series) are carburetors with an air screw.
Both have the same principal to enrich the mixture...by turning it 3/4th to 1/2 clockwise after the engine is warm enough. Reset the Idling if necessary. On the main stand, the rear wheel should just about be spinning slowly is correct idling speed.

Last edited by Crankpin : 8th June 2017 at 16:48.
Old 20th June 2017, 18:28   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Very happy with the scooter now.
Need some help. A friend's 2012 Activa refuses to fire up with the starter button. Kick starting it is not a problem. Since the scooter was standing idle for a few days, we thought the battery has drained and got it charged. We also tried a new amaron battery. Absolutely no response. It is as if the push button is not sending any signal to the starter at all. What could be the culprit?
Old 20th June 2017, 18:30   #22
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
It is as if the push button is not sending any signal to the starter at all. What could be the culprit?
Any sound heard when the electric starter button is pressed?

Check the relay and fuse for the starter first.
Old 20th June 2017, 18:34   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Any sound heard when the electric starter button is pressed?

No. It is giving us the silent treatment . Hope the fuse and the relay are located somewhere around the battery compartment itself. Are they?
Old 20th June 2017, 18:39   #24
BANNED

Quote:
No. It is giving us the silent treatment . Hope the fuse and the relay are located somewhere around the battery compartment itself. Are they?
Yes sir, It is located just beside the battery.

Here are the images of the relay in my Activa 125.

Honda Activa: Engine idling & stalling issue caused by faulty "O" ring fitment (carburetor)-5.-both-sides-aprons-opened.jpg

Honda Activa: Engine idling & stalling issue caused by faulty "O" ring fitment (carburetor)-6.-starter-flasher-relay.jpg
Old 20th June 2017, 18:52   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes sir, It is located just beside the battery. Here are the images of the relay in my Activa 125.
Many thanks for the information and the pictorial presentation. Will check them tomorrow. Hope you didn't open up your Activa because of me .
Old 20th June 2017, 19:01   #26
BANNED

Quote:
Many thanks for the information and the pictorial presentation. Will check them tomorrow. Hope you didn't open up your Activa because of me .
Haha. No problem.

Here's the link to the thread why I opened the panels

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ail-lamps.html

I replaced the indicators to LED hence.
Old 20th June 2017, 19:01   #27
eko
BHPian

Quote:
Need some help. A friend's 2012 Activa refuses to fire up with the starter button.
Chances are the relay is stuck or the push button is malfunctioning. The relay has 3 terminals. One for power in from battery, second for power out to starter and third for input from push button. Remove the socket from relay and try a direct loop(by pass the relay). To check for malfunctioning push button, give power direct from battery at relay terminal.

Last edited by eko : 20th June 2017 at 19:03.
eko is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2017, 14:03   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by eko View Post
Chances are the relay is stuck or the push button is malfunctioning.
Both of you were spot on. Thank you very much.

Since the scooter was serviced just two days ago at the dealer's ASC, we took it back there. The encyclopaedic SAs took a cursory glance at the scooter and without even as much as touching it, declared the battery to be dead. I had to long press the horn button to bring them to their senses.

Even after opening up the front panel, they had no diagnosis expect battery fault. We demanded that they fit a new battery and try the push button start. As expected, nothing happened.

I then asked them to replace the relay. Post replacement, the scooter fired up, though I could sense a bit of reluctance. Suspecting bad contact points, we also replaced the push button. Things are working well now.

The original battery still had sufficient juice left. But since it was already five years old, we decided to replace it. The one available at the ASC was of Amco make and cost ₹1,400 with 15+15 months warranty. Hence, purchased an Amaraon battery with 24+24 months warranty from our regular guy for ₹950 after the buy back of the old battery.

Starter Relay
Honda Activa: Engine idling & stalling issue caused by faulty "O" ring fitment (carburetor)-photopictureresizer_170621_13325915114_crop_483x709.jpg

Honda Activa: Engine idling & stalling issue caused by faulty "O" ring fitment (carburetor)-photopictureresizer_170621_13333438651_crop_589x567.jpg

Starter/Push Button
Honda Activa: Engine idling & stalling issue caused by faulty "O" ring fitment (carburetor)-photopictureresizer_170621_13341770172_crop_653x281.jpg
dailydriver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2017, 15:05   #29
BHPian

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...00004546443455

Seems like others too have the same issue.
Old 21st August 2017, 14:39   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I had severe cold start issues. It required me to do 20 kicks with choke lever pulled.

Post this rectification it starts in the first kick
without choke being pulled.
I am facing similar issues wherein my mother's TVS wego is switching off at low speeds.Multiple mechanics have not been successful at solving it.Does such a mechanism exist in all carbs?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks