Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2017, 21:23   #46
BHPian

Re: Wrong side of 30, need a cruiser!

The new gen of Himalayan announces on RE portal. Partly disappointed. Has EFI which was expected, but still no ABS.

I think it's a raw deal. You definitely need an ABS for tourers.

Attaching a couple of snashots from RE website.
Attached Thumbnails
Wrong side of 30, need a cruiser!-screenshot_20170703211600.png  

Wrong side of 30, need a cruiser!-screenshot_20170703211442.png  

kjayant is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2017, 23:28   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjayant View Post
The new gen of Himalayan announces on RE portal. Partly disappointed. Has EFI which was expected, but still no ABS.

I think it's a raw deal. You definitely need an ABS for tourers.

Attaching a couple of snashots from RE website.
Disappointing, to say the least. How did RE miss out on ABS and tubeless tyres? Friend who owns a Himalayan told me its a pain to repair punctures on this bike.
Old 11th July 2017, 00:22   #48
Team-BHP Support

How about the Benelli 302R? I understand bookings have opened.
Old 7th August 2017, 20:58   #49
BHPian

Very interesting thread. I'm in a somewhat similar situation myself. I'm 34 and have never owned a motorcycle. Ever since i brought my own Santro at 22, have always been on 4 wheels. My motorcycle riding experience is limited to once a year Goa trips, using a bike to get from one shack to another. Got smitten by the GT Continental ever since it was launched, but never really acted on it. Recently I moved to a township which has minimum public transport. So was thinking about getting a scooter, then I asked myself, why not a good bike? Went to a RE dealership, took a test ride on the GT and was amazed by what it could do. After I came back from the test ride, saw a snow white Himalayan parked next to where the GT was. Took a test ride of the Himalayan as well, and found it to offer better road presence and obvious ride comfort. Went ahead and paid the 5K booking advance!!!
I had to join a ship in a month, so postponed the delivery till early October. Come October and I will start my riding experience from scratch.
I don't know if i will be able to do justice to the bike and if i will have any falls.
The only way to find out is to try.
There is always a right side to life!!
msk016 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2017, 22:47   #50
Senior - BHPian

I see a trend amongst middle aged folk that feel like adding a bit of spark by buying a bike; all seem to love Royal Enfields

I remember riding a 500 a few weeks after I first learnt how to ride a bike (don't know whether bullet or Thunderbird or classic) and being thoroughly disappointed by it. Recently I rode a Friend's Himalayan and was less disappointed. The bike is brilliant and offers something nothing else does in that price range, it did not feel very well built though and the speedo needle was dancing loosely all over the place and the controls just felt a bit cheap also it was just not my style of riding position so I didn't really care much for it even though I understand its appeal. Just last week however, I had the chance to ride a Continental GT and wow I really liked it. It actually felt really light (coming from a KTM owner), perhaps it is the way the weight is distributed, not sure. I really enjoyed riding it though. The brakes felt excellent, ride was pretty good, I can't stress enough how surprised I was by how effortless it was to ride even in heavy traffic, I'd even go as far as to say that it felt like a quality job (again that statement might not mean as much coming from a KTM owner ). I'm surprised to find only a few Continental GTs on the road though. Any reason for it?

Last edited by IshaanIan : 7th August 2017 at 22:49.
Old 7th August 2017, 23:25   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
I'm surprised to find only a few Continental GTs on the road though. Any reason for it?
Continental GT is a great bike, but...

- the riding position is very sporty, hence it appeals only to dedicated sport position lovers who are mostly the younger lot.

- the younger lot would most likely go for a bike that's light, nimble and fast for that position to be riding in (read KTM RC / CBR / R15)

- Continental GT (the remake of the famous cafe racer of the yesteryear) is a part of Royal Enfield's heritage, but our people cannot connect with the bike as retro purely because it was never sold here back in those days. Those who own the bike are the only guys who fall under this category who dig into the details. But for the masses it just is a new bike and - well it isn't a Bullet. Hence the ratio gets more narrower.

- We were used to seeing the old "Bullets" (mostly all Enfield's are generally referred as Bullets by the masses) I have owned the CI-350 and I remember people looking at me at signals back in those days as if riding the bullet was something really exclusive with the right side gears and as if I had some special skills for the same, which is why the Classic sells as hot cakes as it is the achievable/drive-able Bullet but the same is not with the case of CGT, which actually and ironically is the best quality product from RE.

- The new 750cc is being nearing launch (as the spy pics suggest) in the form of CGT to revive the exclusivity I believe. But honestly if they come up with a Classic/Electra 750 it would really be something to look forward to. But then I again think RE wont do that yet, as the sales of Classic versions have been a havoc in the past decade. Possibly the bridge between RE Classic's and Harley's or Bonnie's ?

This are purely my observations no offence meant to anyone
The Great is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th August 2017, 01:38   #52
BHPian

I see a lot of support for the Himalayan, which surprises me to no end. As far as I've known even until recently, that bike has been a severe hit or miss for most owners. It's either a gold mine or a lemon and I know both kinds of owners. That for me is the definition of world class unreliability - especially seeing you're looking for a tourer. Horror stories about poor service and lack of parts are peppered all across the internet, so maybe you should check with the spare parts dept of your local RE ASC to find out if the parts that are failing most frequently are well in stock or not.

I loved the Himalayan, but I can't bring myself to trust it on a long trip. However, even as I type this, I know of a fellow biker who is doing a golden quadrilateral tour on her Himalayan right now. All I can say is - be wary. Take a lot of precautions if you're looking in the direction of the Himalayan.

I also see a lot of support for the mojo from folks here. I have personally rented one for a long haul and was left severely disappointed. It's heavy, clunky and boat like. The extra silencer is a waste of money and unnecessary weight. The stock headlights are horrible and the brakes are the worst part of the bike. The front isn't adequate and the rear jams on the slightest provocation. This was a rental mind you,but a lot of owners observed the same on the Mojo. How Sarath Shenoy takes that thing to the off road mountainous areas is a mystery to me.

The Dominar is a splendid vehicle to go fast in a straight line. To a degree leans are fun too, but you feel the heft of the bike almost too much. The suspensions were actually to my liking on it. The brakes were horribly sub par. Throttle response makes it a good cruiser but I wouldn't take it around the city unless I was a tall freaking Man, which I'm not. Off road the Dominar is a hard companion.

My recommendations would the Duke triplets(believe me, the power will grow on you in no time) and the CBR250R ABS - a pre-worshipped second-hander maybe. I paid for a new one just before the GST debacle took it off Honda's list (maybe permanently? ).

As many have suggested, a used N650 would make a good highest companion but not in the city. I personally would recommend the versys if you can afford if. The Z250 is a nice bike, even in city traffic - I speak from experience.

Fantasy draft for your garage:
a Triumph street twin or a t100.
Madhav Nayak is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th August 2017, 16:14   #53
BHPian

I am 36, have always used bike for travelling, be it 10 kms or 500. I am a doctor and I need to keep up the 'standard' as well! Older patients will not take your advice seriously if you come on a young bike! So I have multiple bikes for different purposes.
With this background here is my take sir.

Although you feel you lack clarity, your listed needs are clear enough. As far as I can see you are a tough guy who would enjoy your biking and nostalgia but probably will return to regular car use. I see you retaining your bike for long though.

For better clarity list out your 'needs' in the bike. Looks, performance, refinement, distance of travel - short long or mixed, reliability and after sales service.
Score bikes accordingly if it's a close comparison. Finally give some power to your heart, to the Romantic inside you and do not be hard on yourself if you make a wrong decision. There is always another day, another clarity!

1. Fazer 250 : To start with. It suits your description and undercuts your budget by good measure. It's a Yamaha! Dominar, my feeling is that you will outgrow it very soon. But at its price point you cannot be too wrong.

2. Mojo : With its build quality it is a good option for a good built person from what I have seen. Good road presence. But the reason you have to be buying this is Mojo tribe and the trips, if that excites you.

3. Enfield 500: Scores low on refinement but if lazy biking is your thing then there is no comparison. Meaning if you are willing to stay behind a car in traffic or you are not the sort who gets that urge to lean when in the twisties. (Believe me it's a pleasure urge, if you know wat I mean!).

But if that is your thing then check out Harley Superlow for 4lack. Spend 50k on rising it's ground clearance and exhausts. It handles really really well. If it's raw power you are seeking this is the one to own at this price point. People will make way. It also makes people look at you differently. Like having a awesome big tattoo on your neck but this is just a bit more sophisticated. But if it requires cutting on any of your financial plans then don't, because any short comings will remind you of the financial sacrificing you had to make and that's the end of respect for the bike. Resale is good though.

4. Again out of your budget bracket Yamaha r3 is another wonderful bike for a lifetime. I am listing this inspite of you asking for a cruiser! Just as easy a commuter as a screamer on nice roads. Will put a smile on your face guaranteed.

I am not listing duke, but it's just me.

Ever considered a RD350??! :cool Provided you get in touch with a active club. Resale is good.

Also consider that after 3 years there will be bikes from triumph and Jawa and Enfield which will fit your requirements better.
Old 17th August 2017, 17:29   #54
BHPian

I'm on the wrong side of thirty. Just about I must say.

Got two beauties in the Garage - Kawasaki N300 White and a Ducati scrambler red.

And I'll tell you what. Unless you have a budget constraint that ties you to a RE or a Bajaj, go for a pre-owned N650 or a HD street. Doesn't matter which one. You say that cars have spoilt you. Good Job. You deserve it. This is no longer going to be a question of what your father buys for you. You have earned this money and if you are not buying this for commuting purposes, invest in a great bike that makes every single journey feel like therapy. And whatever you do, save some money. Keep it aside. Buy a great helmet. Buy a great set of gloves. Buy jacket and pants that make you feel indestructible.

If this is going to be indulgence, don't hang back. Don't haggle. And don't be in two minds. You may use it once a week or once a month when you realise that the responsibility of your world is on your shoulder. But make that one ride count. Don't give a fig about anything else.

When you rise above commuters, what matters is smiles per kilometers. Just ensure that your bike meets that efficiency criteria.
redeff is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th August 2017, 18:03   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redeff View Post
I'm on the wrong side of thirty. Just about I must say.

Got two beauties in the Garage - Kawasaki N300 White and a Ducati scrambler red.

And I'll tell you what. Unless you have a budget constraint that ties you to a RE or a Bajaj, go for a pre-owned N650 or a HD street. Doesn't matter which one. You say that cars have spoilt you. Good Job. You deserve it. This is no longer going to be a question of what your father buys for you. You have earned this money and if you are not buying this for commuting purposes, invest in a great bike that makes every single journey feel like therapy. And whatever you do, save some money. Keep it aside. Buy a great helmet. Buy a great set of gloves. Buy jacket and pants that make you feel indestructible.

If this is going to be indulgence, don't hang back. Don't haggle. And don't be in two minds. You may use it once a week or once a month when you realise that the responsibility of your world is on your shoulder. But make that one ride count. Don't give a fig about anything else.

When you rise above commuters, what matters is smiles per kilometers. Just ensure that your bike meets that efficiency criteria.
I keep trying to convey this feeling but could have never expressed it as good as you just did! Buying a large capacity motorcycle isn't going to be a rational decision - you don't need these bikes to get some job done. You get them to fulfill a dream and you have to get what you want, what makes you happy when you look at it in your parking lot. Even if most often its only to get into your car to commute to work.
Old 7th November 2017, 19:30   #56
BHPian

Ha! Almost everyone at this age thinks alike. My Pulsar 180 is getting old and planning to replace it with an entry level bike in the 250 cc - 500 cc segment, not immediately but in the next 9-12 months time frame.

I have my eye on Dominar, but also tracking other similar capacity bikes. Any idea, whether Yamaha and Honda are planning to re-launch the R3 and CBR 250R respectively? BMW G310R launch has been pushed again to 2018 and I am not too confident on Benelli's future with DSK group shutting down Toyota's service operations.

How I wish an Avenger with the engine and other specs from Dominar is available?
Old 7th November 2017, 19:59   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcoolguy View Post
Ha! Almost everyone at this age thinks alike. My Pulsar 180 is getting old and planning to replace it with an entry level bike in the 250 cc - 500 cc segment, not immediately but in the next 9-12 months time frame.

I have my eye on Dominar, but also tracking other similar capacity bikes. Any idea, whether Yamaha and Honda are planning to re-launch the R3 and CBR 250R respectively? BMW G310R launch has been pushed again to 2018 and I am not too confident on Benelli's future with DSK group shutting down Toyota's service operations.

How I wish an Avenger with the engine and other specs from Dominar is available?
Maybe you should wait for Benelli 502 TRK, hopefully it should be launched by Jan-Feb 2018. Not for city usage though, only for highway cruising. I am also looking to upgrade from my Pulsar 200 NS
Old 8th November 2017, 09:17   #58
BANNED

Quote:
The A220 is by far the only affortable high displacement cruiser in the country, I say this because whatever RE has to offer, the foot peg position does injustice to the cruiser tag, not to mention the high procurement and running costs involved.

When it comes to the motor, I'd still recommend sticking with the 220cc simply taking into consideration its frugality, cause assuming that you'd be opting for a cruiser to cover some decent miles the current motor would be more forgiving cause a head gasket leak is fatal on a liquid cooled motor but as close to nothing on an air cooled alternative.

The only downside of owning an Avenger as per me is the rust prevention which can be a lot hectic considering how ludicrously chrome is used around the motorcycle.
ashwinprakas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2017, 09:47   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Think this is in the works, but not sure when this will be launched.

http://www.moneycontrol.com/news/bus...d-2432417.html

KK

Last edited by KK_HakunaMatata : 8th November 2017 at 09:48.
KK_HakunaMatata is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2017, 21:08   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK_HakunaMatata View Post
Think this is in the works, but not sure when this will be launched.

http://www.moneycontrol.com/news/bus...d-2432417.html

KK
Are they snooping around Team-BHP threads

On a serious note, I hope this get launched by second half of next year. Dominar was dragged for more than a year before getting launched, hope they don't repeat the same with Avenger as well.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks