Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2017, 00:15   #1
BHPian

Wrong side of 30, need a cruiser!

Dear Members- Simply put, need myself a nice ride.

A little background:

As a student and a young professional, have owned 3 bikes till 2008. Courtesy my kind Dad

Owned a gen1 Caliber, Pulsar DTSi 150, Pulsar 180 DTSi 180 - in that order, each for roughly 3 years. After 2008, relocated to Delhi NCR and have been here since then. Graduated to cars post 2008. Gurgaon's dust, crazy traffic, short temper have been dampeners to reviving the biker inside me.

Did lots of 500 Kms plus trips on all the 3 bikes mostly in Western and Southern part of the country. To name a few: Tumkur- Bangalore - Mysore, Bangalore - Belgaum- Pune - Mumbai etc.

What's itching now?

Despite the heat, dust, and craziness around - have been yearning to get back on saddle and do some real long distance, even indulge in some daily office commute on bike. Though still not sure, if it's really the latent biker inside kicking or just some short term pang.

What's decided?

Has to be a cruiser. Wrong side of 30, have done enough on entry level Bajaj sports bikes. I am built well, never had any back issues or fatigue during all those long distances but I guess need to take better care of my body now.

1. So, It has to be a cruiser. Sports bikes no more!

2. Need some real power kicking. Cars specially diesel heads have given me lot of power kick. Hence need atleast 350 CC or more.

3. Still not sure on how will I gel with the buddy hence the budget has to be 2 to 2.5 Lacs. No more. Wish I had more clarity

4. Should have the heart and soul to support long distances. Really important.

5. Niggle free, well as much as possible. I will possibly not have a lot of time to indulge with the buddy. Work kills and being a family man now, keeps me really grounded. I am sure there would be many like me

Did I check options out?

yes indeed. I did. Checked the following dudes out:

Classic 350: Always wanted to have one, can get one now. But suspect if I will feel lack of kick on a 350. Hence, want to get myself 500 desert storm. A lot of people though still opine that it's a niggly sweetheart and needs to be indulged. The other gripe that I have is that 350 has lost a lot of sheen now, gone into lots of wrong hands, I don't see it being ridden as an RE should be - with class, with panache and with grace. I see people dragging it like the usual dandy 150 CCs and that really breaks my heart.

Renegade Commando: Checked the bike, looked really good. Sad part is that the engine is severely under-powered and it still reports a lot of niggles. Checked out the FB renegade page and saw it peppered with half abuse - half cribs. Rare word of praise of satisfaction. Though, it still guarantees exclusivity.

Harley Davidson Street: Exclusivity guaranteed. Ride quality decent. Pricing - right through the nose! Entry barrier pretty high.

Mahindra Mojo : Have been hearing a lot of good things about this sweety but haven't checked it out. Mahindra and bikes??

What do I seek?

Clarity. I am sure, I can't be first one. There would atleast be some 'been there done that'. I want to hear them. Am I even thinking right.

Are there more options that I should be looking at.

Will be grateful to get a little of your wisdom. Help, help!

Last edited by Aditya : 12th June 2017 at 06:04. Reason: Extra smiley
Old 12th June 2017, 00:27   #2
BHPian

Re: Wrong side of 30, need a cruiser!

You can consider Bajaj Dominor. With good power and safety features , it can be a worthy tourer.
roamer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th June 2017, 01:08   #3
BHPian

The CBR 250R ABS is a very good bike.
Safe, brilliant ergonomics, competent build quality, well sorted suspension and has a screen that actually works.
Patriot_Vishwas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th June 2017, 05:06   #4
Senior - BHPian

If simply cruising is your thing, then the Mojo really does well in that regard. It's not the most sporty when it comes to attacking the twisty stuff but on the straight and narrow, the ride quality is great, motor is creamy smooth, sounds good and the bike has a nice relaxed riding position.

Do also look at the Dominar. Just because it is a Bajaj, don't exclude it from the contention.
IshaanIan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th June 2017, 07:00   #5
Senior - BHPian

First thing came to my mind is Dominar, despite I'm not a fan of Bajaj yet having an immense respect for them.

Next option - Z250, except for your budget which will also turn fruitful in long term ownership, everything else falls into more than what you're looking

Other options...

1. Used HD but no way in 2.5 lakhs budget & even if you find one, be prepare to spend double for getting it fixed!! May be HD 750, still unsure of 2.5L
2. Used Z250 - Fits to your bill, will be niggle free PROVIDED your homework is hard enough
3. Avenger 220, but compromise on power but gain like hell on money & INVEST towards fantastic riding gears
4. TNT 300 - Niggling issues guaranteed & goes North of your budget but everything else fits but Z250 is far better

Note
1. C250R - Outrightly outdated, stay off, but then it ticks on 2 aspects, budget & complete niggle free; it also comes with safety which you've not accounted for in the budget. This comes from a owner who is owning the bike for nearly 6 years
2. RE including Himalayan - Awesome looks guaranteed & if you don't mind niggling issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjayant View Post
Clarity. I am sure, I can't be first one. There would atleast be some 'been there done that'. I want to hear them. Am I even thinking right
Well yes, you're not the only one. What I've observed is, once the young parents have kids, they stop or pause riding. Pls don't ask me why, most of my friends who ride now are still unmarried or awaiting for kids, have grown up kids or don't have one. I don't want to pick up the names here.

Most of the reasons I tend to assume is because either want to spend time & love with their kids or unable to manage time with work & family or even both or feel responsible enough or for the reasons they know the best.

Point being, they've fantastic motorcycles but do a Sunday morning breakfast ride compared to 2000 Km week long trips.

Personally, speaking, I wasn't that affected, I enjoyed my days with kids as well as found time for not a week, but 2 week long trips too when my kids were young. Best part being, there's nothing stopping me even now, just that I feel like going out with family instead of all alone these days.

Just ensure your motorcycle will be put to good use, that's all, consider your purchase a million times so that you don't regret even once. Good luck

Last edited by aargee : 12th June 2017 at 07:11.
aargee is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th June 2017, 09:34   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Wrong side of 30, need a cruiser!
Wrong side of 30, but on the Right side of a cruiser !

Check the Dominar. But which ever you take, remember to also check for heat radiation towards the legs, which can be bad in city traffic.

Ride safe !
Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
.. you're not the only one. What I've observed is, once the young parents have kids, they stop or pause riding. Pls don't ask me why, most of my friends who ride now are still unmarried or awaiting for kids, have grown up kids or don't have one. I don't want to pick up the names here.
Old 12th June 2017, 09:59   #7
Team-BHP Support

You should check out the Dominar for sure. Top of line specs, flagship model, great safety features like ABS are standard and a compelling price for all of the above.
Old 12th June 2017, 11:10   #8
BHPian

Dominor will be the best value of all the options listed. It has sufficient power, seating is good, parts availability should not be an issue as its a Bajaj and maintenance should also be light.

Mojo is a good tourer and should meet your requirements. The sales numbers aren't great and parts availability could be an issue.

I might be the only one to suggest this bike but you should also consider the Suzuki Inazuma. Other than looks its an awesome bike and you might get a used one for a good deal. It is a perfect bike for touring and you also get the punch of twin cylinders. The downside is parts availability and this shouldn't be a problem if you can import the parts. You'll also get to own a unique bike
haneeshN is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2017, 11:24   #9
BHPian

I am 36, and here are my recommendations. Read the full post before bashing me !

Honda - CBR 250 ABS
Dominar ABS

Why ABS ? because as you said we are in 30's, and we have a lot of other responsibilities that we need to take care of, but the fun quotient shouldn't be taken out of our bucket-list with the kind of stressful lives we live in.

The above bikes pack a lot of punch with safety of ABS.

I own the Classic 500 and wouldn't recommend any of the Royal Enfield's or Mahindra Mojo's yet, period !, purely on the basis of safety. These bikes are really fun to drive but on the flip side our roads are full of surprises and these bikes are just not ready for that. Be it left over gravel from a road repair, slippery roads and filled with moronic jaywalkers and lane cutters who cross the road suddenly without warning. This is where the ABS is a big boon. I am just recovering from an accident resulting from the front wheel locking and hence the need for ABS.

I love the Royal enfield's and have a high respect for the Mojo too but purely on the basis of safety I have ruled out these options. I really wonder why Mahindra who chose to give high end features like USD forks etc but didn't introduce the ABS. Although more features like traction control are yet to be understood by indian manufacturers, till then the ABS is a must have feature on all my future bikes.

The 2 bikes mentioned firstly above are easy to maintain, have high safety features, are huge fun to drive too, on the highway or the city too and aren't expensive to own.

Hope this helps.

Cheers !

Last edited by The Great : 12th June 2017 at 11:30.
The Great is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th June 2017, 11:33   #10
BHPian

If you are looking for a comfortable cruiser below 2.5L, you can consider RE TB 500 as well. I think it should fit your needs pretty effortlessly.

Cheers,
R-six
Old 12th June 2017, 13:32   #11
Senior - BHPian

Not sure about the launch date, but BMW G310R might just excite you !!

It is also expected to be priced sub 3L. They seem to be delaying for so long !! perhaps TVS gets to launch first
Old 12th June 2017, 14:35   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
Not sure about the launch date, but BMW G310R might just excite you !!

It is also expected to be priced sub 3L. They seem to be delaying for so long !! perhaps TVS gets to launch first
The expected price for G310r as posted in the thread is around 3.75 Lac Ex-showroom, too expensive.

Also yes TVS will launch first.

I think a pre worshiped Ninja will be a good idea as well, yes it is more on sports line, but it is a damn good tourer too.
Old 12th June 2017, 15:03   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Did I check options out?

yes indeed. I did. Checked the following dudes out:

Classic 350: Always wanted to have one, can get one now. But suspect if I will feel lack of kick on a 350. Hence, want to get myself 500 desert storm. A lot of people though still opine that it's a niggly sweetheart and needs to be indulged. The other gripe that I have is that 350 has lost a lot of sheen now, gone into lots of wrong hands, I don't see it being ridden as an RE should be - with class, with panache and with grace. I see people dragging it like the usual dandy 150 CCs and that really breaks my heart.
While I cannot comment on other available choices in the market today (I belong to that groug of people that Argee referred to above, having kids ) I would suggest to keep away with the latest offerings from the RE stable.
For one, the quality has gone downhill, with me hearing a lot of complaints, more so about the BSIV engines.
Secondly, you mention about power as a requirement, and the 350cc RE is just a number, the actual performance is quite mundane for a 350cc bike. Some 150cc bikes can give it a run for its money.
vinit.merchant is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2017, 15:06   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Six View Post
If you are looking for a comfortable cruiser below 2.5L, you can consider RE TB 500 as well. I think it should fit your needs pretty effortlessly.

Cheers,
R-six
I was going to quote the same as an option and then saw that its already been suggested.

I am in the same boat and have been wondering for a while about getting a TB350. when I first started to think about it, TB350 was available at 1.48L and now the cost has gone upto 1.8xL in Bangalore. So, don't think too much if you are sure of buying it. Test ride all of them and go buy what suits your requirement.
Old 12th June 2017, 15:46   #15
Senior - BHPian

My 2 cents on the Honda CBR250R:

Since April (new FY) and post BSIV norms, it has been removed from the HMSI website and also "0" Wholesales in April 2017 according to SIAM.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks