Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2017, 23:22   #1
BHPian

Gearless Scooter: Wego vs Jupiter vs Access vs Vespa vs Maestro

Hello, BHP-ians! This is my first thread on T-BHP, so kindly pardon me if you feel that it's unduly long.

I've been planning to purchase a gearless scooter for my dad, who is a senior citizen, for quite some time. Right now, we own a 2011 Honda Aviator Deluxe (disc brake variant) that has done around 14000 kms till date. When we switched over from the Kinetic Nova to the Honda Aviator, the futuristic styling, superior build, engine refinement, and plusher ride from the telescopic forks were all a revelation to us. But our Honda hasn't stood the test of time that well, thanks in a big way to the indifferent and apathetic dealership called V. J. Honda (Dombivli). Their extremely unprofessional way of dealing with the customers and handling vehicles caused my dad to turn to a small-time local garage for the routine maintenance. Needless to say, the service record is practically non-existent.

Over time, the panels have developed gaps near the handlebar and instrument console (the body-coloured surround fits into the headlamp fairing with a fibre dovetail-like joint). The electrical cables have been a constant victim of rodent attacks (something that was remedied by using a flexible metal gauze around the cables, and a few pouches of tobacco). The rear drum brake liner and battery were replaced around the 10000 km mark. Fuel economy has also been rather dismal, hovering around the 36-38 kpl mark. The body started developing rust rather early (despite the Teflon coat), especially around the body guard rails (a bolt-on dealer accessory that I despise). The latest issue that has cropped up is excessive panel vibrations while accelerating from a halt. They even make the mirrors shake violently.

Since I'm not home most of the time, I wish to save my dad the hassle of keeping the scooter from falling apart all the time. Hence, I'm looking for a decent alternative to replace the Aviator. But ever since I started scouring through the options, none of them struck me as radical, the way the Aviator did back in time among a plethora of generically-shaped scooters. The contenders in my list, and my observations about them (after a moderate-length test ride) are as follows (these are, in no way, standard observations):

Gearless Scooter: Wego vs Jupiter vs Access vs Vespa vs Maestro-scooters.jpg

I have ruled out the ubiquitous Activa in all its variants, because of its sheer omnipresence (no offence meant to the numerous proud Activa owners). So guys, kindly advise me on this front. Also, does anyone have an idea as to when the maxi scooters (or Euro scooters, as referred to by some) like Yamaha N-Max, Honda PCX-150, etc. will make it to our shores? Those hold a lot of promise in the ₹ 1+ lakh scooter segment, and will pose a strong challenge to the fashionable, yet overpriced Vespas.
RoverX is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th October 2017, 07:29   #2
BHPian

re: Gearless Scooter: Wego vs Jupiter vs Access vs Vespa vs Maestro

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoverX View Post
Hi sir,
As per your list, I'd personally recommend Jupiter or the Maestro. Secondly, why didn't you consider the Yamaha Fascino ? It's got the looks, Fuel efficiency, Decent ride quality (thanks to the telescopic suspension), low end pickup is good but the only thing is that it isn't as feature loaded as it's competition and there's a bit too much of chrome and Yamaha has played quite a bit modifying the colours and it looks tacky sometimes.

Hope you make a wise decision,
Varun_HexaGuy
Varun_HexaGuy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2017, 08:10   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The contenders in my list, and my observations about them (after a moderate-length test ride) are as follows
Amongst the contenders your have shortlisted, I would suggest Wego. This is an all rounder with god performance, mileage and maintenance costs (provided you have a good TVS workshop) near your place in Dombivli.

The one's you have shortlisted are a bit on the heavier side. Since it is for a senior citizen a lighter Hero Pleasure would also do good.
ghodlur is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2017, 08:40   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The contenders in my list, and my observations about them (after a moderate-length test ride) are as follows (these are, in no way, standard observations):
If beige panels and too much chrome are the negatives pulling you back from Vego\Jupiter, do check out the Scooty Zest. We have been using one from 2015 Jan and the scooter is serving my wife well. It is lighter and smaller than wego\jupiter, so it may be a positive or negative, depending on your preference parameters.

You can check out my (now dormant) thread here - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...hite-swan.html

--Anoop
theexperthand is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th October 2017, 08:59   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So guys, kindly advise me on this front..
Another thread for some more related reading material:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...hread-242.html

I would also suggest the TVS Zest like the commenter above. Lighter and more compact than the Wego and Jupiter, but with the same engine and power/torque figures, it's a very nimble and maneuverable pocket dynamo. Also, it's cheaper than the Wego and Jupiter too.

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 5th October 2017 at 09:26.
comfortablynumb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2017, 10:45   #6
Senior - BHPian

Re: Gearless Scooter: Wego vs Jupiter vs Access vs Vespa vs Maestro

I would suggest you to go for the Jupiter.
It is an excellent scooter in every way, and has proven itself on the Sales chart as well.

Personally, I found TVS after sales support and service to be better than Honda.

If the Jupiter feels a bit bulky for your Dad, then go for the Wego, which is same 'whisky' is a slim 'wine' bottle.
abhishek46 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th October 2017, 11:10   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
Personally, I found TVS after sales support and service to be better than Honda.

If the Jupiter feels a bit bulky for your Dad, then go for the Wego, which is same 'whisky' is a slim 'wine' bottle.
I agree on the TVS Service. My Wego (2011) had starting troubles as it sat in basement without being run for longer periods (years) but ASS are friendly and provide good support ready to re-look issues if you are not satisfied.

Ride wise I am happy with quick pickup and stability. Jupiter might we better as it is newer but at the same time bulky as pointed above. The Wego was refreshed and there were many improvements along with better economy figures.
vidyanand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2017, 11:10   #8
Senior - BHPian

I think TVS Jupiter and Hero Maestro is the best replacement for your Aviator. All these mopeds are identically same as far as dimensions and other technical specifications are concerned. Apart from technical specifications and features, your father will get used to this vehicle within one day.

We have a TV Jupiter in the family. I ride it sometimes. I find it an excellent package. It is a well-built moped. The seat is big and comfortable. The engine is smooth and responsive, breaks are good. FE is good. The storage compartment under the seat is quite big, footwell (what do they call it in a moped?) have plenty of space.

Regards
Shreyas
SJM1214 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2017, 11:16   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJM1214 View Post
I think TVS Jupiter and Hero Maestro is the best replacement for your Aviator. All these mopeds are identically same as far as dimensions and other technical specifications are concerned.
Maestro has a few QC and niggling issues, from what I heard from my uncle, who owns one.

The same has been reported here:
https://www.motorbeam.com/hero-maest...ffected-scoop/
abhishek46 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2017, 11:18   #10
BHPian

I ll recommend these:
1) Suzuki Access: For super built and strong engine. Once loaded with pillion the scooter pulls away with ease also the ride quality is great. On standard(read potholes) roads of India the stiff suspension actually helps. Personally i found the ride to be very stable confidence inspiring and bike like unlike others scooters. Only downside i feel is the Refueling point is under the seat.

2) TVS Jupiter: Apart from what you already mentioned, the other upside is refueling point is accessible without lifting the seat.
spgv is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th October 2017, 11:28   #11
BHPian

We own a Jupiter and after having driven it for close to 8K kms, I would recommend the same for any scooter buyer.
It has decent power, torque enough for quick overtakes. Good balance in the vehicle and hence easy for turns.
Before finalizing Jupiter, we had taken a test drive of all the available gearless scooters at that time (Including the high price tag Vespa, and off the beat Honda Navy as well). We found the package offered by Jupiter compelling and after buying, driving if for nearly 1.5 years with no regrets!
A point about the smaller Scooty Zest, Wego, Pleasure, Swish, Ray etc - All these feel like the regular Scooty Pep in comparison to the full grown scooters like the Activa, Aviator, Dio, Jupiter, Maestro, Access and Fascino. If you have experience with large scooter like Aviator, going towards small scooters will not appeal to you.
In any case, test drive and decide. Have fun choosing your best scooter!
hybridpetrol is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2017, 11:29   #12
BHPian

I would advise against Honda and Yamaha, they are not the best anymore, the have started to become like the rest. In fact i would say Honda is now the worst of the lot. I took a wild guess and got a suzuki lets, it has surprisingly served very well, i have used it well, but i stick to periodic maintenance at the ASS. its almost 35k kms reading in the odo in 3 years and its still going strong, no rattling, its still as good as new. Get something from the Suzuki stable, they are the only ones with the Jap ethos still left.
Sunrock is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th October 2017, 12:36   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varun_HexaGuy View Post
Secondly, why didn't you consider the Yamaha Fascino?
Thank you for the suggestion, Varun_HexaGuy. I did quite like the Fascino. Yamaha has done a great job styling the scooter, and the funky paint jobs look great (excessive chrome notwithstanding). I'd been ridden around as a pillion on one, and that's when I found the motor to be pretty refined, too. But the ground clearance on this scooter is pretty low, especially 2-up. It scraped its belly on every moderate speed breaker during that ride, and that's when I decided against it. Also, the saddle is quite low.

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
I would also suggest the TVS Zest like the commenter above.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
The one's you have shortlisted are a bit on the heavier side. Since it is for a senior citizen a lighter Hero Pleasure would also do good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
It is lighter and smaller than wego\jupiter, so it may be a positive or negative, depending on your preference parameters.
Thank you all, for your suggestions. My dad has a slightly heavy build, and having ridden full-sized scooters for almost 3 decades (Kinetic ZX, Kinetic Nova, Honda Aviator), he'll be fine with a full-sized scooter. The Hero Pleasure, Honda Dio and TVS Scooty are all a size smaller, and too petite for our requirement.
Thanks for the link to your thread, theexperthand! I'd come across it once, before, and found it very crisp and informative. Like you, I too have always liked the Honda Dio!

Quote:
Maestro has a few QC and niggling issues, from what I heard from my uncle, who owns one.

The same has been reported here:
https://www.motorbeam.com/hero-maest...ffected-scoop/
Whoa! Didn't know about that. Thanks for the information, abhishek46. I did a quick search, but I found opposing pieces of information, one of which states that the recall news is a hoax to malign the bike-maker's image. Also, if the faulty component were something as critical as a crankshaft, I don't think the recall would've been a silent one. There are several cases of starting issues with the Maestro / Duet, but I feel they trace back to a faulty battery. Kindly let me know if you have more information on this issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybridpetrol View Post
We own a Jupiter and after having driven it for close to 8K kms, I would recommend the same for any scooter buyer.
It has decent power, torque enough for quick overtakes. Good balance in the vehicle and hence easy for turns.

In any case, test drive and decide. Have fun choosing your best scooter!
Congratulations on the great ownership of the Jupiter, hybridpetrol. It indeed feels like a complete package. But after the Aviator, the rather conservative design doesn't seem to grow on me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrock View Post
I would advise against Honda and Yamaha, they are not the best anymore, the have started to become like the rest. In fact i would say Honda is now the worst of the lot.
You said it, Sunrock. I cannot comment on the situation in the geared bike segment, but as far as gearless scooters go, Honda has become increasingly unresponsive and smug. I reckon they've been enjoying the Activa's success wave a bit too much. I also cannot comment on Yamaha scooters, since I don't have much of an experience with one.

Last edited by RoverX : 5th October 2017 at 12:42.
RoverX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2017, 12:47   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello, BHP-ians! This is my first thread on T-BHP, so kindly pardon me if you feel that it's unduly long.
Hi RoverX. I am sorry I can be of no help to you. But I really liked how you wrote the post and explained your situation. I have not kept pace with the developments in the 2- wheeler market and your post provided a good overview of the scooter landscape for me. Cheers and best wishes for your purchase.
rrsteer is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2017, 13:40   #15
BHPian

I rode all the major scooters except for Vespa and Fascino and can say that Jupiter is a very good model. Has a very good initial power delivery and continues to remain so till you reach 60Kmph, which is rarely crossed in normal driving conditions anyway. Also the external fuel filling is a definite advantage. I currently own Jupiter with 25k on Odo.

Apart from that, the On-road assistance is very good. I experienced it first hand and have to say, their response was even better than some Car companies. They sent a pick-up vehicle and delivered the vehicle at a service centre nearest or of your choice, provided it is within 25 Km. And they also provide you with a cab free of cost, once again till 25km from the pick-up point.

PS- The best scooter that I have owned was Mahindra Rodeo. It had every thing, sharp pickup, good handling, lightweight, external fuel filling, digital meter with good options. However, there were two major and very essential drawbacks. It had a very low GC and a mileage which was less than a 350CC RE.

Last edited by vamsi.kona : 5th October 2017 at 13:42.
vamsi.kona is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks