Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2017, 19:32   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The Kawasaki Ninja 400. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 4.69 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
The biggest positive of the KTM 390s.

And it's biggest negative as well! Because the quality control is extremely disappointing.

A friend and BHP'ian just bought a brand new 390 last month and already has second thoughts about the purchase due to the sheer number of niggles faced. The last one even left him stranded and the new bike had to be towed to the service center. It doesn't help the mindset when another friend in our circle had previously sold his KTM due to frustrating niggles too!

Duke/RC 390 is brilliant value - yes. However, for those who can afford a little bit more - the Ninja 400 could prove to be a worthy and troublefree purchase in itself.

PS - Provided Kawasaki don't skip ABS this time. Without ABS, it's good not to launch the bike itself.
It is mandatory for all new bike above 125cc, launched after Mar 2018 to have ABS, don't think Kawasaki will skip it this time. The biggest question is what do they price this beauty at, anything sub 4.5 and we have a winner.
AtheK is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2017, 13:37   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Couple of live photos from the floor itself.
Attached Thumbnails
The Kawasaki Ninja 400. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 4.69 lakhs-1509178029167.jpg  

The Kawasaki Ninja 400. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 4.69 lakhs-1509178044851.jpg  

AtheK is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 28th October 2017, 14:04   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
It's a beginner level sport bike, rather than an entry level sports tourer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschefire View Post
As CrazyDriver mentioned, in most markets it is an entry level, beginner sportsbike that many learn riding two wheels and get their A2 license. The long wheelbase, high clip-ons makes it very good tourer as well.
Yes I understand its not an out an out sportbike and that it is a very versatile product with stability due to the long wheelbase and good touring ability due to the relatively relaxed ergonomics, BUT a sportbike is a sportbike and the more focused and less versatile it is, the sportier it gets and trust me there is a market to whom that appeals the most (myself included). After learning how to ride a bike, once it came time to choose a bike for myself, I had made up my mind that it needs to be a frontal biased weight distribution sport bike. Getting the chance to ride a Yamaha R15 while I was learning on a few occasions, was what inspired me to go for an outright sportbike, with is relatively relaxed stance but one where you felt like you were sitting right over the front, it was exquisite, I didn't find such confidence inspiring sportbike ergonomics on any of the larger displacement bikes like the R3, N300 etc which is why I went in for the KTM RC390. As much as I am a hardcore RC390 fan, I also miss the reliability and simplicity of Japanese engineered products which is why I made that statement.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 28th October 2017 at 14:20.
IshaanIan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st November 2017, 07:51   #34
BHPian

Read that Kawasaki is now offering 38k discount 300. Looks like they are clearing stocks to launch 400 in India.
HighOctane is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2017, 10:24   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
BUT a sportbike is a sportbike and the more focused and less versatile it is, the sportier it gets and trust me there is a market to whom that appeals the most (myself included).
Very true!

But to realise that the Ninja 400 is not an India specific model, but an A2 compliant 45hp beginner's bike in the developed market. Obviously a sportbike is one that is built and bought to burn the rubber on the track. Beginners are seldom going to hit the track. They just want a bike that is easy to ride, and can keep up with their 85 mph limit on highways. Ninja 400/Ninja 300/ Yamaha R3 are all just sport tourers(that too for the beginners), not outright sportsbikes. Most beginners upgrade to middleweights like the Ninja 650/fz07 once they are 21 or after they outgrow the 300s.

In India though, 40+ BHP is considered skilled/experienced material, owing to pathetic road sense and infrastructure in our country. Hardcore sportsbike riders are less compared to riders who want a versatile product. If you look at the sales number of Duke 390s vs RC 390s, you will understand the difference. In today's market, if you want a true sports bike, the list goes like this, depending on your experience and financial strength

R15 --> RC390 --> 675R

Someone who loves R15 will not like the Ninja 400 over the RC390.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 1st November 2017 at 10:29.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st November 2017, 11:16   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
BUT a sportbike is a sportbike and the more focused and less versatile it is, the sportier it gets and trust me there is a market to whom that appeals the most (myself included
R15 takes that position IMHO. Cheapest sports bike available in the market. Next affordable and volume sale is around the RC390 series. Beyond this sky is the limit. N400 will never be a sports bike, but a sportier touring bike with fairings. It is like a young sibling of the N650. Hence i feel the pricing will make it a killler for Kawasaki to get volume sales. I believe they make more money in service and spares than any other manufacturer and hence volume will cover the difference they will lose in sale price.
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2017, 03:14   #37
BHPian

Hey guys, all of you here who know what they're talking about, the biking bug has just bitten me. It's actually a few friends who've given me this itch, and I'd like to scratch it

So, After reading quite a bit I have started my test rides.
My situation: never owned anything that rides on two wheels except manual bikes, and have riding experience of a Goa tourist, quite literally. I have only so far ridden scootys (Acitva & Vespa), that too mostly in Goa, and a couple other small trips on the mountains. While I enjoyed riding, I never thought about it too much, and my mind always centred around cars, but, as I said, I've got this itch, and I need some help.

The first bike I tried was the R15. That's the first bike I've ever ridden for any significant distance, and my biggest fear before getting on the bike was gears. I was intimidated. Turns out, they're not that difficult to manage after all. Phew. And once that fear was gone, I began to enjoy the ride. I took the bike to about 80, and while it was great as an experience, I felt the bike to be lacking somewhat. It was kind of crude and jumpy at that speed, there were vibrations, and I didn't like the sound the engine made. Now I know nothing about bikes aside from what I've read, and that isn't a lot, and it was the first time I've ridden anything on two wheels at that speed, it just felt like I could find something better. Maybe more refined, and settled?

That's what brings me here today. I rode the N300. What. A. Machine. Going in, I kept on thinking that it would be too much for me to handle, and that I should't think about it seriously, or in short, I was re-intimitaded :P Infact, I asked the guy at the showroom to follow me on another bike, I didn't even want a pillion!

Three seconds on the bike and all the fear was gone. It is civilised, refined, looks amazing, and can even take off from zero in the second gear. The riding position is quite comfortable too. It was a short ride, and I plan to take a long one soon, but from whatever I could feel, think, and see, I really like it and I believe I can handle it.

That brings me to my question(s): is it a good idea to go for the N300 right now, considering it is quite an old model at this point? I've read about the 2018 refresh but how long before that makes it here? Also, will it really be a worthwhile upgrade? The N400 is atleast a year away. Ideally I won't like to wait too much, maybe a month or two to get the bike (I really don't want this itch to fade away). Also, the only thing that really jumps out as missing to me is ABS.

What do you guys think? Should I go for this one? Should I be looking at pre-owned N300s? As someone who doesn't know too much about bikes, I'd prefer something that isn't known for any niggles or problems cropping up.
Old 18th November 2017, 06:52   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ach1lles View Post
What do you guys think? Should I go for this one? Should I be looking at pre-owned N300s? .
you should! Why not?

Whether Ninja 400 comes sooner or later, Ninja 300 is still a wonderful package if you dont mind the costs(purchase, service and spares). It is very forgiving, unlike the pushy KTM 390s, and it makes a great beginner bike.

Used Ninja 300s are still 3+ lakhs, i would prefer plonking an extra lakh and buy the new one.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th November 2017, 23:10   #39
BHPian

Quote:
That's what brings me here today. I rode the N300. What. A. Machine. Going in, I kept on thinking that it would be too much for me to handle, and that I should't think about it seriously, or in short, I was re-intimitaded
Ninjas are seriously awesome bikes. N300 plasters a smile whenever I get a chance to ride it. (Done that a couple of times only)

Quote:
That brings me to my question(s): is it a good idea to go for the N300 right now, considering it is quite an old model at this point? I've read about the 2018 refresh but how long before that makes it here? Also, will it really be a worthwhile upgrade?

What do you guys think? Should I go for this one?
The ONLY reason I didn't pick up a N300 was the lack of ABS. Like insurance, you won't know when you need it, but when you need it, you absolutely must have it.

I wouldn't recommend anyone, let alone someone getting into biking after a while to get any bike that doesn't have ABS

You'll have Yamaha YZF R3 launching in Jan / Feb timeframes with ABS and based on the discounts we are seeing on Ninja 300, I am guessing Ninja 400 should be available sooner than later.

Though Ninjas are completely different from Dukes, try Duke 390. The 2017 model brought in a lot of changes, and made an already great bike a perfect one. This has ABS standard.

Please don't buy a bike without ABS in 2017 (if possible)
sriramv.iyer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th November 2017, 02:03   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

You should really wait for the N400, it's just not a facelift, it's a new bike altogether. My guess is we should have it around April - May, Kawasaki is showing real good interest in indian market off late. You would really feel bad if you pick a N300 now and 3 months down the lane N400 is launched at almost the same price.

Another option could be R3 as suggested above and one more option is Tornado 302r, its a very good bike too, and is cheaper then Ninja 300. It has ABS and upside down forks, plus it sounds real sweet.

I would still suggest to wait for N400, i am waiting.
AtheK is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 19th November 2017, 03:18   #41
BHPian

Thanks guys. The wait will be difficult, I don't really want to wait, but I do realise the importance of ABS. If we had an actual date for N400 launch, it would've been easier to make a decision, but from what I've read around, It's not going to launch here before the third quarter of next year. I mean, the US launch isn't even announced yet, there's no way it's coming here in that time.

Or, I could get a pre-owned N300 for now, use it for a year till the 400 launches here, and then upgrade? How does that sound? I saw a couple of good deals on various classifieds. How would the bike be by the time it's done around 15k kms in 2 years? If I could get a pretty good pre-owned piece that's less than 3 years old, and hasn't done more than say 20k for around 2.3-2.4, sell it a year later for 1.9 odd, does that make sense? I won't have to worry about the break in period or easing in the bike too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramv.iyer View Post
try Duke 390.
I don't like the way the KTMs look and feel. They're good, but the Kawasakis just feel so.. proper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post

Another option could be R3 as suggested above and one more option is Tornado 302r, its a very good bike too, and is cheaper then Ninja 300. It has ABS and upside down forks, plus it sounds real sweet.

I would still suggest to wait for N400, i am waiting.
I've tried the R3, not the Tornado. Though, honestly, at this point I doubt I'll like it anymore than the Ninja :P
ach1lles is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2017, 06:06   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Or, I could get a pre-owned N300 for now, use it for a year till the 400 launches here, and then upgrade? How does that sound? I saw a couple of good deals on various classifieds. How would the bike be by the time it's done around 15k kms in 2 years? If I could get a pretty good pre-owned piece that's less than 3 years old, and hasn't done more than say 20k for around 2.3-2.4, sell it a year later for 1.9 odd, does that make sense? I won't have to worry about the break in period or easing in the bike too.
I might be wrong here, but periodic maintenance starts once a bike crosses the 20K mark, it might need second set of tyres, or new spocket set which might add to the initial 2.4L investment!

We usually change all the fluids too on the first service once we get our hands on it. BUT 2.4L seems to be too good for a machine like the Ninja, any sample links?
giri1.8 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 19th November 2017, 11:46   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I've tried the R3, not the Tornado. Though, honestly, at this point I doubt I'll like it anymore than the Ninja :P
Since you have already made up your mind, I would suggest to start looking for a pre owned one too.

The new akula 310 is also just round the corner, that also has ABS, could also be a good starter bike, followed by a ninja 650 as upgrade later.

I am contemplating these three bikes too, but just like you I am getting impatient too, and Probably will end up getting the akula, followed by a 650 upgrade later.
AtheK is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 19th November 2017, 13:44   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

I recommend waiting and getting the ninja 400. In the meanwhile, whet your appetite by renting out different classes and genres of bikes from rental agencies and better understand your real requirements. Who knows, you might completely change what you want from a motorcycle, and you might even be much more comfortable with higher capacity bikes right away.
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2017, 14:08   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by giri1.8 View Post
I might be wrong here, but periodic maintenance starts once a bike crosses the 20K mark, it might need second set of tyres, or new spocket set which might add to the initial 2.4L investment!
See, that's what I'm worried about. I know nothing about bikes at this point. Something as basic as tyres is okay, but more complex stuff will fly off of my head. Though, won't these bikes be more capable? I mean, 20k is too low a mileage for today's machines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by giri1.8 View Post
BUT 2.4L seems to be too good for a machine like the Ninja, any sample links?
There are a few ads on the usual websites, and the quoted price is 2.7-2.8. I thought it could be closed for 2.4 or so since a brand new one would be about 3.6 on road in Delhi after discounts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
Since you have already made up your mind, I would suggest to start looking for a pre owned one too.

The new akula 310 is also just round the corner, that also has ABS, could also be a good starter bike, followed by a ninja 650 as upgrade later.

I am contemplating these three bikes too, but just like you I am getting impatient too, and Probably will end up getting the akula, followed by a 650 upgrade later.
When is the Akula coming out? The N300 felt just perfect to me. The Tornado you've mentioned, is as heavy as the N650, give or take, and is longer than the N300 too. I'll give it a try soon. As for upgrading to the 650, let me tell you, the first time I saw the 300 and 650 next to each other at the showroom, I couldn't tell the difference. If you can handle the power, you can get the N650 right now, and that's a much better value package today than the N300. Though I'm a noob so what do i know. :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
I recommend waiting and getting the ninja 400. In the meanwhile, whet your appetite by renting out different classes and genres of bikes from rental agencies and better understand your real requirements. Who knows, you might completely change what you want from a motorcycle, and you might even be much more comfortable with higher capacity bikes right away.
That's another good idea. I had thought about it, atleast for getting a feel of what different bikes have to offer, and trying to live with a bike for a few days to see if I really would like to ride enough to justify a purchase. But I'm spending more time up north these days, and there aren't many options I could find. Do you know of any rental places in Delhi that'd have bikes from this range?
ach1lles is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks