Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th April 2018, 20:28   #106
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Kawasaki Ninja 400. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 4.69 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Disagree on this part. R3 is simply outclassed IMO, although the Ninja 400 is defenitely overpriced. Actually both are, when the non-CKD bikes come into the equation.
Hence the 'almost' prefix for my statement. I do admit that the additional power and torque would certainly make it better on the highway, however there aren't too many things that the Ninja 400 can do which the R3 cannot. The R3 now gets Metzelers and ABS over it's previous it's previous iteration making it a really good package for about 1.25 lakhs lesser than what the Ninja asks.
Old 24th April 2018, 20:39   #107
Distinguished - BHPian

Price differences and equipment levels aside, why do we forget that the R3 is one below average handler when compared to N300/N400 and RC series?
PrasannaDhana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2018, 00:37   #108
Distinguished - BHPian

It's almost a month since launch & there are NO reviews available in India?! So, Kawasaki doesn't want any reviews as they believe in the product with no need of marketing or don't want to give any journos an opportunity to blame them on a high price?!!
Old 27th April 2018, 10:04   #109
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
It's almost a month since launch & there are NO reviews available in India?! So, Kawasaki doesn't want any reviews as they believe in the product with no need of marketing or don't want to give any journos an opportunity to blame them on a high price?!!
guess they generally don't care about this, they have it in portfolio as they needed to show that they have a competing product(grossly overpriced) in market. Till they knowck of atleast another 75K from the asking price, this bike will see very less traction.

Also, if i remember correcttly, deliveries are only supposed to start end of May/Early June, probably we will see some reviews at that time.
AtheK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2018, 11:05   #110
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
It's almost a month since launch & there are NO reviews available in India?
Yet to see a proper review of the Ninja 1000 which was launched sometime last year. Versys X300 got some reviews after two months though. Vulcan S got more attention - probably due to the change of segment and perception needed for this one to fit in.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2018, 12:01   #111
BHPian

R3 is a level below handler compared to the Ninja 300/400, i would def disagree with that. The Ninja 400 media ride is happening soon btw.
balenopower is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2018, 12:32   #112
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenopower View Post
R3 is a level below handler compared to the Ninja 300/400, i would def disagree with that.
Any media reviews that agree with you?

The suspension, specially the rear is very soft as per most people. Infact, Powerdrift says R3 is bit a too soft for the track. If you refused to believe them being an Indian publication - Motorcyclist magazine comparison calls the 2018 R3 shocks "real squishy shock that needs to be upgraded if you want to ride any kind of hard".
Old 27th April 2018, 14:04   #113
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenopower View Post
R3 is a level below handler compared to the Ninja 300/400, i would def disagree with that. The Ninja 400 media ride is happening soon btw.
I have ridden R3, RC and Ninja 300. From my experience I can safely say R3 is the worst when it comes to handling, at least in the stock suspension setup.

In fact prominent Youtubers even termed the R3 & Ninja 300 as "pretender sports bikes". They take the term sports bikes seriously. Committed ergonomics and razor sharp handling is what they want. India is a funny market where we want comfort on a sports bike. R3 definitely is the most comfortable, but not the better handling among the segment.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 27th April 2018 at 14:07.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th April 2018, 20:39   #114
BHPian

Below are the price list in the USA for the 3 often compared sports bikes. All prices in USD

https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/su.../models/yzf-r3 4999+
https://www.kawasaki.com/Products/2018-Ninja-400-ABS - 5300+
https://missionmotorsports.com/Motor...0-a6c0015fade5 - 5499+

But in Japan,
KTM RC390 at 662,600JPY retails cheaper than a Ninja 400 at 716,100JPY. but higher than R3 at 642,600JPY - The difference being negligible.

KTM twins(duke 390 and RC390) in general are priced higher than their Japanese counterparts in every market except maybe India and Japan. (obviously due to the localisation factor in India)

How can a manufacturer justify this sort of pricing strategy?
Is the N400 worth twice the ex-showroom price of an RC390?

If the argument is about build quality then shouldn't it be applicable to all markets. Certain countries are willing to pay a premium for a better handling entry level sportsbike. We on the other hand are blinded by our (faith?) in anything Japanese when it comes to cars(Honda, Toyota) or bikes(Yamaha, Honda, Kawasaki) and seem to be prejudiced against anything manufactured by Indian companies.

What I've noticed is that, and I am being very general here is that the demographic that owns the KTM twins lack mechanical empathy with their rides which leads to reliability issues.
Fernang is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th April 2018, 21:16   #115
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fernang View Post

What I've noticed is that, and I am being very general here is that the demographic that owns the KTM twins lack mechanical empathy with their rides which leads to reliability issues.
Not really!

Most KTM twins owners(specially 390s) must have been through several bikes, including reliable Japanese. So lacking mechanical empathy is ruled out.

Most kids that get the KTMs as their first motorcycle may lack mechanical empathy. What I mean is they don't even have the habit of checking engine oil level and coolant level regularly, never lube the chain, rev the engine to redline even before it is warmed up, lugging the engine etc etc.

Regarding Kawasaki pricing,Indians don't pay for the product, they pay for the brand. Ex. Innova crysta, R3, Ninjas, Honda city etc. They can get equally capable products if not better, for a much lower cost, but then, it's a status quo owning a "brand".
PrasannaDhana is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th April 2018, 21:58   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
Most kids that get the KTMs as their first motorcycle may lack mechanical empathy. What I mean is they don't even have the habit of checking engine oil level and coolant level regularly, never lube the chain, rev the engine to redline even before it is warmed up, lugging the engine etc etc.
Absolutely, couldn't have put it much better. But the general perception in Bangalore is that of the KTMs being a young guys bike. But it is so much more than that. The experienced riders or KTM riders can be recognised by their more responsible riding behavior. But, sadly, they are outnumbered by the hotheads. The first question from my colleagues at school when i turned up with the D390 was 'YOU have a Duke. Aren't you too old for that bike?' You cant change people's perception I guess. The only thing we can do is ride responsibly.
Fernang is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th April 2018, 00:56   #117
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fernang View Post
But the general perception in Bangalore is that of the KTMs being a young guys bike.
Forget the general public - have seen this attitude from the police as well. Riding suit + Orange bike is prone to get stopped a lot more than any other biking combination in the market today.

Unfortunate!
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th April 2018, 10:45   #118
Team-BHP Support

Discounts are official now till month end-

The Kawasaki Ninja 400. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 4.69 lakhs-screenshot_20180428104238.png
Old 28th April 2018, 14:05   #119
Senior - BHPian

Pardon my noobness but aren't discounts right after launch, a bad sign? This bike should simply have been priced the same as the 300 right from launch itself IMO. Are they selling decently? I haven't seen even one of these things on the roads I suppose that's a bad sign for Kawasaki.
Old 17th June 2018, 02:47   #120
Team-BHP Support

Deliveries just started officially- the first bike delivered by the Mumbai dealership.

The Kawasaki Ninja 400. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 4.69 lakhs-instimage.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks