Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2017, 23:51   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: My Aprilia SR150 Race Edition

AHO Feature
BS4 vehicles are now mandated to have Automatic Headlight On (AHO), hence almost all the automobile manufacturers have installed this feature, there by deleting the Headlight Switch.
RTAs are stringent on this and sometimes, have done surprise checks especially during registration process, to ensure that the vehicle is indeed BS4!!!
AHO means the headlight gets automatically switched on when the ignition key is turned on. It doesn't even wait until the vehicle is started/

I see this feature to be quite a pain and it causes disorientation on road, particularly when a powerful headlight flicks into your eyes.
Secondly, the headlight assembly becomes quite warm after 60-120 minutes of riding.
Luckily some 2 wheeler manufacturers are quite understanding and are replacing the dummy housing with a Headlight Switch.

For SR150
Aprilia is offering to install the Headlight Switch, at no cost, which is good.
My Aprilia SR150 Race Edition-headlight-switch.jpg
Since SR150 comes with double barrel headlight unit for wider spread and Utility, I have got both Low & High Beam bulbs connected directly to the Switch,there by both the bulbs get switched on, thus resulting in getting a good, bright light and a decent throw.
Double Barrel Unit illuminated with Low & High beam bulbs parallely.
My Aprilia SR150 Race Edition-headlight-2.jpg
Headlight Visibility
My Aprilia SR150 Race Edition-headlight-1.jpg
So far, so good.. as the headlight takes rest completely during day time, hence my objective stands achieved !!!
hillram is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th November 2017, 19:59   #17
Senior - BHPian

I took the privilege to have a photoshoot of my SR Touring Race Edition at Motoplex today, in the presence of Piaggio Team as well as with the head of Motoplex.
My Aprilia SR150 Race Edition-002.jpg

My Aprilia SR150 Race Edition-004.jpg

My Aprilia SR150 Race Edition-014.jpg

My Aprilia SR150 Race Edition-016.jpg

My Aprilia SR150 Race Edition-017.jpg

My Aprilia SR150 Race Edition-018.jpg

My Aprilia SR150 Race Edition-019.jpg

My Aprilia SR150 Race Edition-021.jpg

My Aprilia SR150 Race Edition-024.jpg

My Aprilia SR150 Race Edition-025.jpg
hillram is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2017, 16:35   #18
Senior - BHPian

I reached 200km of distance, just in time for 1st Service at Motoplex SVC.
I did not get any service reminder call from Motoplex, so I decided to land up for service myself.
I was told that only an oil change would be done and a full wash.
I hung around the SVC to observe how things would pan.In my opinion, SVC was rather poorly equipped and had inadequate functional ramps, with empty tool cases and shabbily cluttered tools. The indifference of the service staff was quite visible.
After an hour, I was told that oil change was done and the vehicle was sent for washing.So I decided to take a look at the Washing process and walked a small distance to reach the Washing bay.
To my horror, I was greeted with the most unhygienic place on earth as the wash area was a shady corner in the building with blocked drains and dirt everywhere and absolute stench emitting out of everywhere.
At the end of the alley, I saw my Aprillia washed and to augment my horror, the service guy had just opened a hair shampoo packet (Rs.1) and had started to wash my Aprillia all over- Tyres,Body,Seat,Engine etc.
My Aprilia SR150 Race Edition-4.jpg
I immediately asked to stop the washing process and confiscated the packet of shady shampoo and yelled to call the Service Manager.
My Aprilia SR150 Race Edition-3.jpg
Service Manager came and apologized and remorselessly explained that the washing guys are lazy to use Tinopal, stored in huge barrel and resorted to the easy use of hair shampoo packets.
I asked them to stop this process and asked them to wash with plain water pressure and let my Aprillia breath alive.
I started to think, whether I was in a clumsy beauty salon for a hair wash or get my clothes washed with detergent, but I was already ready to contract some microbial disease from this, absolutely unhygienic wash area and decided to bail out alive.
My Aprillia was blow dried and brought up to the service floor again and It stood there calmly after all the heinous process it has gone through.
My Aprilia SR150 Race Edition-5.jpg
I was given a bill of Rs.218 for 750ml of oil changed and paid calmly and stepped out of the Motoplex SVC.
Now I intend to take this up with Piaggio. What a contrast..above the SVC stood a world class Motoplex showroom with all the glitterati and below Service centre is in doldrums.
The raison d'etre is because of a sloppy Service Head,(one Mr.Madhu), who is absolutely in experienced and careless.
My Vespa LX 125 has been nurtured all through Smart Vespa(a dealer who moved on to become TVS Dealer) and Ashwan Auto for last 5 years and they never let me down. Today Motoplex, a flagship store of Piaggio showed me such horrible service levels, I cant forget.

Last edited by hillram : 3rd December 2017 at 16:51.
hillram is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2017, 22:09   #19
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post
Now I intend to take this up with Piaggio.
Not acceptable at all. Even if I were to ignore the washing part, they cannot have a shoddy workshop like this anywhere in India, forget a city like Hyderabad.

Buraq is due for his first service too and I will make it a point to be by his side all the time like I always do with all my vehicles, and will avoid the wash altogether. The oil change is more than sufficient. That reminds me, was it only the oil or the oil filter too that was replaced?
Old 3rd December 2017, 22:21   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
That reminds me, was it only the oil or the oil filter too that was replaced?
Only oil is changed..they need to drain out completely old oil and replace with new oil(about 750ml). I also checked if genuine oil was used (Agip 5W-40). Please check this too.
hillram is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2017, 22:24   #21
BANNED

Quote:
Only oil is changed..they need to drain out completely old oil and replace with new oil(about 750ml).
Certainly will Sir, BTW, my request for the front visor is still pending with you.
Old 4th December 2017, 00:25   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
BTW, my request for the front visor is still pending with you.
You need to try few places in Bangalore like JC Road, Gurjari etc.Old Yamaha dealers are bound to have one or two.
Any way this is a personal matter and let us keep it offline.
Old 4th December 2017, 08:32   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Only oil is changed..they need to drain out completely old oil and replace with new oil(about 750ml). I also checked if genuine oil was used (Agip 5W-40). Please check this too.
I make it a practice to replace the oil strainer as well whenever an oil change is done. The manual doesn't say it has to be done, but I do so just for peace of mind.

Did they get the engine oil out of one of those big barrels or from an unopened can?
Old 4th December 2017, 22:40   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed.Demon View Post
Did they get the engine oil out of one of those big barrels or from an unopened can?
You are absolutely right. Engine oil is pumped from a big barrel into a mug and refilled into the vehicle. The same procedure is followed for my Vespa LX125 since I bought it in 2012.
Engine oil brand is Agip(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agip)[/url] owned by Eni, Italy,vHowever its Apar Ltd (http://www.aparlubricants.com/) which markets Agip in India and you find this name on the huge oil barrels in SVCs.

Last edited by hillram : 4th December 2017 at 22:41.
Old 8th December 2017, 20:15   #25
Senior - BHPian

These just arrived from my supplier in Europe..
Cloth Patches & Key Rings
My Aprilia SR150 Race Edition-patch-biker-patches.jpg
A close up of Key Ring
My Aprilia SR150 Race Edition-patch-biker-key-ring.jpg
Above items are all made in EU with highest quality standards.
hillram is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th December 2017, 00:40   #26
Senior - BHPian

Post 1st Service Ride to stretch-race SR150
Since 1st service was completed 1 week back and new engine oil ready to flow into my Aprilia's system, I was too tempted to test for higher speeds to see how the engine knocked and tyres behaved.
I had an opportunity to ride to our Shamshabad Airport which offers a 10km superb straight and curved roads from the entrance of Airport
Believe me now, my SR150 touches 80 mark very easily and smoothly. With front disc brake and my 3 finger Rossi styled front braking, Im only more confident. Acceleration is much much better and smooth.
Now comes the cornering part and this is where I faltered..err or tyres faltered.
I observed over 3 corners and the hard compound tyres would not make the turning comfortable. I slowed down from 80 to 65 to 50 and had to brake to avoid going off the road.
This is a clear sign of Tyres not cooperating with the vehicle and could be dangerous.
What do other SR150 owners on Vee Rubber Thai tyres reckon? Are there others soft compound tyres in Indian market which we could opt for?
Some pics during the break of dusk near Airport.
My Aprilia SR150 Race Edition-1.jpg
My Aprilia SR150 Race Edition-2.jpg
My Aprilia SR150 Race Edition-3.jpg

Last edited by hillram : 13th December 2017 at 00:43.
hillram is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th December 2017, 07:49   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Now comes the cornering part and this is where I faltered..err or tyres faltered.
I observed over 3 corners and the hard compound tyres would not make the turning comfortable. I slowed down from 80 to 65 to 50 and had to brake to avoid going off the road.
This is a clear sign of Tyres not cooperating with the vehicle and could be dangerous.
What do other SR150 owners on Vee Rubber Thai tyres reckon? Are there others soft compound tyres in Indian market which we could opt for?
Interesting that you feel this way about the Vee rubbers, hillram. I for one, love the grip that they provide. I can take tight corners at speeds of 55-60kph easily and at even higher speeds if I lean hard.

Long flowing corners like the ones on 4 or 6 lane highways can be taken at 80+ speeds without any issues at all. When you said the tires made the cornering uncomfortable, what exactly did you mean? We're the tires losing grip and washing wide, or was it something else?

Perhaps the tire pressure is a bit high? I maintain the factory recommended 29psi front and 32psi rear.
Speed.Demon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2017, 09:43   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed.Demon View Post
We're the tires losing grip and washing wide, or was it something else?

Perhaps the tire pressure is a bit high? I maintain the factory recommended 29psi front and 32psi rear.
Yes the Tyres were losing grip and I could not control the vehicle.
I use a little more air - Front 30 & Rear 35. This should not effect cornering.
we have a Track day coming up next month for SR150. Im quite eager to test my cornering skills on a circuit.
My Aprilia SR150 Race Edition-track-day-jan-2018.jpg
This is the same circuit where I tamed my KTM Duke 390 & 200.
Old 17th December 2017, 22:08   #29
Senior - BHPian

Hi hillram. Would you happen to know if the Sr 150 has a wet or dry clutch ?
Old 17th December 2017, 23:48   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
Hi hillram. Would you happen to know if the Sr 150 has a wet or dry clutch ?
Hello.
SR150 has a Self ventilating dry-centrifugal clutch.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks