Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th December 2017, 15:35   #31
BHPian

re: Orange love story part 2 | Prassy's 2017 KTM RC 390 | EDIT: Now sold

Hi Prasanna,
Congrats on your new bike! Nicely detailed, the way you ended up with the orange hooligan. I gifted myself (rather, my wife let me have one) a 2017 duke 390 for my bday on sept, and the new electronic stuff on our bikes coupled with the rev happy engine are really worth the money and then some. Though a 6 footer myself, I did not go for the RC as I’m on the heavy side and the riding position is too committed (actually my tummy comes in the way while lying down on the motorcycle, but I hate to admit that ). Hope you complete your riding gear set with a good set of gloves, pants and biking shoes! Ride fast and ride safe!

ATGATT brother.
Regards,
Nikhil.
Doc_nikhil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2017, 19:53   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc_nikhil View Post
ATGATT brother.
Regards,
Nikhil.
Cheers Nikhil!

In every married man's books, he can have something only if his wife allows him to have it. Same case with me too!

Update: 500 km milestone
Washed my bike today. No one told me cleaning an RC 390 would be a pain in the bottom! There are too many sharp creases where our fingers wont reach. And typical KTM cleaning problem- Orange wheels! Gets super dirty and it is a pain to clean them.

By the way, I rode at 5000 rpm in 6th. The ride was super enjoyable and refined. I guess 6000 rpm will be the sweetspot for touring and fuel efficiency(30 kmpl).
Attached Thumbnails
Orange love story part 2 | Prassy's 2017 KTM RC 390 | EDIT: Now sold-wp_20171217_13_08_54_pro.jpg  

Orange love story part 2 | Prassy's 2017 KTM RC 390 | EDIT: Now sold-wp_20171217_13_13_17_pro.jpg  

Orange love story part 2 | Prassy's 2017 KTM RC 390 | EDIT: Now sold-wp_20171217_19_30_54_pro.jpg  

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 17th December 2017 at 19:55.
PrasannaDhana is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 17th December 2017, 21:07   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
Update: 500 km milestone
Washed my bike today. No one told me cleaning an RC 390 would be a pain in the bottom! And typical KTM cleaning problem- Orange wheels! Gets super dirty and it is a pain to clean them.
I couldn't agree more. For my RC200 earlier, I used to struggle to clean it. Especially after lubing the chain. Then started spraying the alloy with WD40. Remove the stains like a charm! Now I follow the same for my Duke 390 as well. For my Dominar I do not need to clean that often since it's black alloy.
nikhn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2017, 16:23   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Update: 720 km

I couldnt have made a better bike choice!! RC 390 is awesome. Specially the handling! Talk about taking curves at 310RR's claimed top speed!! And surprisingly enough, my RC today gifted me a better topend than my previous first gen wild Duke 390.

Only gripe is tank range! I am refilling the tank every two days. It gets to the last bar on fuel gauge, and when I refill it just accomodates 6 liters. With my aggressive riding style, it means 20 kmpl, and a range of 120 - 130 km to a full tank before I need to refuel again. :(

I will be getting the first service done this week. Next up, it is going to be ghats and corner carving.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 20th December 2017 at 16:35.
PrasannaDhana is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2017, 10:38   #35
BHPian

Hi Prassy - please keep positing the updates. i owned cbr250r (abs) and rode it for 89000 kms. unfortunately the bike was stolen and that was the only year i had gone for 3rd party insurance

looking for worthy replacement for my daily commute of 59 kms. Duke seems to be the only worthy option however just waiting for its reliability report from fellow riders. i.e report after 50,000 kms. take care Deepak
dipak1406 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st December 2017, 14:24   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipak1406 View Post
Hi Prassy - please keep positing the updates. i owned cbr250r (abs) and rode it for 89000 kms. unfortunately the bike was stolen and that was the only year i had gone for 3rd party insurance

looking for worthy replacement for my daily commute of 59 kms. Duke seems to be the only worthy option however just waiting for its reliability report from fellow riders. i.e report after 50,000 kms. take care Deepak
My old duke 390 ran for 41k kms before i sold it . Engine was bullet proof and even we(wifey and myself) did some interstate trips without any breakdown. The real problem is that bajaj's quality is inconsistent across the vehicles. So you getting a niggle-free vehicle is a gamble.
nitninja is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st December 2017, 15:27   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitninja View Post
So you getting a niggle-free vehicle is a gamble.
Dont be a pessimist Niranjan

How many friends of yours owned a ktm and had a lemon bike?

The answer to that question if asked to me, will be "zero"

Minor niggles, almost all bikes have
PrasannaDhana is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 21st December 2017, 19:36   #38
BHPian

Great thread, interesting to read about your journey as a rider & congratulations on the RC. They are a cool little bike. I think the 300-500cc range is really where it's at in India for the roads & traffic. If I had 5lac to spend in India on bikes I would be most likely to go for a KTM 390 and an classic CI Bullet instead of a pre-owned superbike. Thats not because I don't like big fast bikes - I have ridden thousands of miles on them already so I'm "over it" with power to some extent - I think perhaps the FZ1 has given you an "itch that will need to be scratched" one day though? Big engines are really quite intoxicating to any biker

I am not surprised to see you find the ergos better on the RC. I also find a slightly shoulders forward / feet back position better for comfort - on more upright bikes I seem to shift between hunched and bolt upright. Hunched makes the upper back ache between the shoulders, bolt upright makes the lower back ache! With a slightly pitched forward position, you are using your core muscles to support your weight, so your back stays neutral. Guys who ride infrequently and have a weak core from a sedentary lifestyle often complain of wrist ache from this riding position as they lean into the bars rather than supporting their weight - they often end up buying bar risers or changing to an upright bike where no low level muscle tension is required to hold position. Whether you do powerlifting, yoga, play squash or simply ride all the time (racing legend John McGuinness does no gym work, he just rides Motocross to train), basically anything that gives you good core stability will mean you can ride in comfort for hours on a bike that pitches you forwards a bit.
Rob UK is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st December 2017, 22:39   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob UK View Post
- I think perhaps the FZ1 has given you an "itch that will need to be scratched" one day though? Big engines are really quite intoxicating to any biker
Absolutely Rob!

I can keep redlining my RC390/Duke 390 everywhere and still feel safe and bored, but on the fz1, you get from zero to absolutely dangerously thrilling in a matter of a few seconds.

As they say, "There isn't a replacement for displacement". One day, I aspire to own a big bike.

And thank you for the excellent explanation on front forward ergos and body ache.

Till then, I guess this little orange beauty would help me hone my skills.
Orange love story part 2 | Prassy's 2017 KTM RC 390 | EDIT: Now sold-img20171221wa0002-2.jpg

@Deepak1406

Go ahead with the Duke 390! My previous bike was a Duke 390. I bought it at 41k and sold it at 47k. It performed like a charm. 390s are pretty reliable in my opinion.

Niranjan is in his 3rd 390. Had no issues that are worrysome. I know a few other friends who are on their second 390s(like me). We are all mighty impressed and happy!

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 21st December 2017 at 22:55.
PrasannaDhana is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 21st December 2017, 22:58   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
As they say, "There isn't a replacement for displacement". One day, I aspire to own a big bike.
Americans say that... Japanese & Europeans say "I'll wait for your Harley to catch up later"

Biggest displacement bike I've ridden so far was a 110 cubic inch (1800cc) Harley. Most powerful was a 175bhp BMW K1300. Very different experiences. The thunderous torque of the Harley was a riot, the BMW was just savagely fast rather than fun.

I think the sweet spot for "hang on tight" performance you can actually enjoy on a road is around 90-125bhp from 600-900cc in the developed world, but I wouldn't want or need that much in India. I reckon something like Street Twin / Bonnie would be fun.
Rob UK is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2017, 18:50   #41
BHPian

Dear Prassi

weekend approaching, will take my wife out for treat and then to duke showroom. let us see if there are some discounts on offer

thank you Deepak
dipak1406 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2017, 21:01   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Dear Prassi

weekend approaching, will take my wife out for treat and then to duke showroom. let us see if there are some discounts on offer

thank you Deepak
Awesome Deepak!
All the best!

Update: 10th day since purchase.
Odo- 900 km
Rode in rain today. What a mistake! The tyre hugger is totally useless. Dirt and muck all upto pillion seat and my backpack.

I should remove that eyesore tyre hugger, now that it is useless. Took me one hour to clean the bike.

And some old memories of my CBR250R, D390 and RC390 on the same patch of road.
Attached Thumbnails
Orange love story part 2 | Prassy's 2017 KTM RC 390 | EDIT: Now sold-wp_20171222_11_33_41_pro.jpg  

Orange love story part 2 | Prassy's 2017 KTM RC 390 | EDIT: Now sold-wp_20171222_11_33_18_pro.jpg  

Orange love story part 2 | Prassy's 2017 KTM RC 390 | EDIT: Now sold-wp_20171222_11_33_28_pro-2.jpg  

Orange love story part 2 | Prassy's 2017 KTM RC 390 | EDIT: Now sold-phototastic22122017_522912d618c34c1a83b15f9266c111d1.jpg  

Orange love story part 2 | Prassy's 2017 KTM RC 390 | EDIT: Now sold-phototastic22122017_2801658c71254aaab183e5f17c07bfe1.jpg  

Orange love story part 2 | Prassy's 2017 KTM RC 390 | EDIT: Now sold-img20171222wa0001.jpg  

Orange love story part 2 | Prassy's 2017 KTM RC 390 | EDIT: Now sold-wp_20171222_18_33_14_pro.jpg  

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 22nd December 2017 at 21:10.
PrasannaDhana is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2017, 17:23   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Update:

1000 km done!

Highly impressed with the RC 390! Riding between 5000-7000 rpm is both fun as well as fuel efficient. Surprised to see 25.8 kmpl for the last 2 tank fulls.
My first gen 390 usually gave me 16-17 kmpl at 8000-10000 rpm riding and 23-24 kmpl at 5000-7000rpm riding.

Removed the tyre hugger and saree guard(a pain during chain cleaning and lubing). Bike looks sharper now.
Service to be done after Christmas.

I would be covering another 200 km before that.

Merry Christmas folks!
Lets share love, peace, joy and warmth all around.
Attached Thumbnails
Orange love story part 2 | Prassy's 2017 KTM RC 390 | EDIT: Now sold-wp_20171223_15_29_18_pro-2.jpg  

Orange love story part 2 | Prassy's 2017 KTM RC 390 | EDIT: Now sold-wp_20171223_13_58_28_pro.jpg  

Orange love story part 2 | Prassy's 2017 KTM RC 390 | EDIT: Now sold-wp_20171223_13_57_55_pro.jpg  

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 23rd December 2017 at 17:36.
Old 24th December 2017, 01:06   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Duke seems to be the only worthy option however just waiting for its reliability report from fellow riders. i.e report after 50,000 kms.
Deepak, I owned a KTM Duke 200 for just under a year and did 13 K on the odo with absolutely zero problems. Then traded it for a Duke 390 with the slipper clutch. Been riding that for two years, just crossed 50 K on the odo. It's been my daily commute (50 km a day, mostly highway), Sunday morning ride with friends on highways and twisties, as well as the occasional day tourer complete with my wife riding pillion and some light luggage. So my Duke has been a true jack-of-all-trades kind of vehicle.

There have been the odd problems here and there but really nothing severe or major, and at least speaking for my own experience as a somewhat foreigner with poor Hindi skills, the service at KTM / Bajaj has been quite good overall.

I have a theory about the reliability of KTM bikes, as follows:

1) The "If you seek, you shall find" effect: You hear horror stories about every bike make and model without exception. Look hard enough and you'll find customers complaining about a bad experience with pretty much any product, doesn't necessarily mean it's a bad product.

2) The empty vessels make the most noise effect: People who are generally happy with their machine won't go on the internet and tell everyone about it. People who have had bad experiences and are angry will vent and shout. Therefore, you'll find far more negative testimonials than positive ones online.

Think of it this way: people are more likely to give a negative review on Yelo or Zomato after a bad experience at a restaurant. But how often do people take the time to praise good (or even satisfactory / acceptable) experiences? I believe the same applies to bikes and cars.

3) The SQUID factor: Whether we want to admit it or not, the simple fact is that KTM attracts the SQUID crowd - young guys with more testosterone than brains who get quickly addicted to the speed, and simply go nuts on the road

The ridiculously low pricing of KTM means that the same kind of dude that wants to ride his Pulsar down a very crowded street at 90 kmph with no helmet, can now get himself a nuclear orange superbeast on two wheels with three times the engine capacity of his old rusty banged-up Pulsar adorned with "boyz on bunk" stickers that has seen two oil changes in six years of very rough riding. We're talking about the kind of dude that would spend money on flashing LEDs and a horn that can cause hearing damage to people in the next state over, but won't buy a helmet or take it to an authorized service center, opting instead to get the dude on the side of the road who oils bicycle rickshaws to handle the occasional servicing or repair work, because boss it saves paisa, yaar.

So what happens when guys like this buy an exotic Austrian superbike, with all its delicate technology, ride it like they're trying to set urban land speed records, and don't take it to an authorized service center for oil changes and repairs? KTM is not a scooter, it's not your dad's bullet that can be abused daily and still keep ticking for years. Sooner or later, cause and effect sink in, and the bike develops serious problems. The machine starts giving out warnings, rattles, strange behavior, random engine shut-offs, stalls, fluctuating performance - all things any sane person would notice and act upon, but to our young hero, the bike still runs, so what's the problem? He'll keep zipping like a lunatic in crowded roads to impress strangers and save the money on hair care products, ugly stickers and more flashing LEDs.

Then one day the bike simply gives up life and won't start. At which point, our young man shows up in a huff at the KTM / Bajaj service center and shouts and screams for 45 minutes, makes a scene, posts a Facebook video complaining about how KTM ripped him off, goes to every forum online he can find and unleashes long posts rambling at great length about his negative experience with KTM, venting his rage on the keyboard as though it was his KTM's throttle and brakes when he was able to ride it.

And with enough of these kinds of testimonies littering the internets, a cautious, discerning biker would consider this reputation and wonder if it's worth the risk.

I'll give you an example: you know how KTMs have that reputation, that they get really hot and the engine eventually shuts off, especially on hot summer days combined with heavy traffic? This has never, ever happened to me. Not even in the hottest summer afternoons in choking, gridlocked Delhi traffic, not even after several hours of that abuse of repeated stop-and-go. The engine kept rattling on angrily, there was a lot of heat, but it did not shut down. And I've done exactly the same thing on a Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 in extreme heat, and while it wasn't exactly fun sweating out liters under my denim, full face helmet and Alpinestars, it was tolerable. And it was honestly no worse on a KTM 390.

So who are these people that keep having problems with KTMs shutting down? Well I once had the chance to sit down with a senior engineer at KTM and I brought this up. Guess what the answer was? It turned out, many riders would be stuck in traffic, as often happens in the second-most populated country on Earth. The heat would build up from lack of airflow over the engine owing that you're just standing in gridlocked traffic, and the fan would switch on and start doing its job. At which point, the rider would panic for some reason and shut down the bike, believing that the fan running means the engine is about to explode and must be shut down immediately.

Once again, these are often the same people that then tell everyone to avoid buying a KTM because the bike gets so hot and you can't really ride a bike like this in Indian traffic and whatnot. Which makes me wonder what they believe would happen if they rode a Harley-Davidson or a liter-size-engined superbike in India? Engines get hot, bigger engines get hotter, it shouldn't be surprising...

Finally, the only real major problems I've had on my Duke over two years and about 60 k kms were:

1) a mysterious rattling noise from my headlamp / forks that the KTM / Bajaj people could not rectify. It was simply a matter of really getting into the headlamp and checking every nut and bolt before finding the culprit, a couple of loose screws. This happened because of all the potholes and bumps I had hit over the course of a year of daily riding. It did not affect performance or steering or anything, it was merely irritating and required multiple checkups to finally get to the bottom of the problem.

2) An unsteadiness in the throttle when trying to cruise at a consistent speed. It would sort of jerk and lurch slightly. It wasn't that bad, but the bike never did it in over a year of riding, and nobody could figure out what the problem was at first. It was misdiagnosed as a stretched throttle cable, a worn-out clutch, dirty spark plugs, and so on until it was revealed that it was a slightly loose electrical cable. A very minor issue but it took a while for Bajaj / KTM to figure out.

3) A rattling sort of noise from the engine. This was recently. Again, it never affected performance or reliability or anything like that, but was a strange noise and wouldn't go away. The new KTM service center in Sohna Road, Gurgaon has some amazing mechanics who instantly figured out that it was one or both of the shims inside the engine had worn out. On replacing them at minor cost, the engine was sounding back to its usual KTM autorickshaw-on-steroids note.

So that was it. Three years of riding two KTM Dukes, and just three notable problems. When I owned a Royal Enfield, however, I had more problems combined than this on a weekly basis, and solving one problem meant a new one reared his head, and the Enfield service centers were an experience in Kafka-esque hell and apathy.

The tl;dr is that I wholeheartedly recommend a KTM. It's unrivaled in terms of overall bang-for-your-paisa. You get to ride an exotic, internationally-renowned superbike for just a tad more than you'd pay for anything else on the road, and you can ride it everyday, and ride it everywhere to boot. Bajaj's network of service centers all over India combined with the Orange Service gives you a awesome deal too, so you can go for long tours without a thought to the "what if I break down" question.

The only caveat really is that you cannot treat it like a moped or a commuting machine. It does demand love and care and attention. But you wouldn't be reading this post on this forum if you weren't already committed to this to begin with, so it's a non-issue and not worth mentioning anyway.

Apologies for the mini-novella, I had too much coffee as usual and I'm avoiding work at the office
marcussantiago is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 24th December 2017, 08:08   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcussantiago View Post
Apologies for the mini-novella, I had too much coffee as usual and I'm avoiding work at the office
Woah, woah woah!! Can you please tell me what coffee you use?

I really really wish that the mods quote this one post of yours for entire teambhp to read.

That is a wonderful user experience that can clear doubts of many a skeptic. Thank you so much for taking the time.

When I was having my CBR 250R, I was skeptical about KTM reliability before buying an used Duke 390. BHPian CGB aka Gowtham assured me he had no issues in 40k km of Duke 390 usage. I trusted him and it was the best decision I have ever made in my motorcycling journey.

In a crux, take care of your KTM(any bike for that matter), it will take care of you.

Update:

Though the first service is due in next 48 hours, it kind of worried me to see an ugly dirty chain and sprocket. So I sat down to work. I havent cleaned it in last 11 days, 1000 km (due to saree guard obstructing the space).
Orange love story part 2 | Prassy's 2017 KTM RC 390 | EDIT: Now sold-wp_20171224_07_12_31_pro.jpg
Bought usual 3M chain lube and Zoro 88(wd 40 replacement). Now the chain looks beautiful, but I am looking forward to all lube getting splattered onto those hot orange rear wheel soon.
Attached Thumbnails
Orange love story part 2 | Prassy's 2017 KTM RC 390 | EDIT: Now sold-wp_20171224_07_45_28_pro.jpg  

Orange love story part 2 | Prassy's 2017 KTM RC 390 | EDIT: Now sold-wp_20171224_07_42_02_pro.jpg  

Orange love story part 2 | Prassy's 2017 KTM RC 390 | EDIT: Now sold-wp_20171224_07_33_29_pro.jpg  

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 24th December 2017 at 08:19.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks