Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2018, 01:08   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Drakula - My TVS Apache RR 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Yes Motuls are one of the best lubes around, no doubt in that. But one should always stick to the recommended viscosity. Motul comes in W30, W40 and W50 grades, but I don't think a modern and refined engine like the RR310's will need such a thick engine oil. W50 is used in Bullets and some Bajaj engines.

Kindly check your owner's manual once.

Regards,
Shashi
So you had me curious there, so i went to the basement and pulled out the manual. It does say to use the Motul 15W50. I will switch to synthetic oil in my next service.

Last edited by AtheK : 14th March 2018 at 01:15.
AtheK is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 14th March 2018, 01:48   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
So you had me curious there, so i went to the basement and pulled out the manual. It does say to use the Motul 15W50. I will switch to synthetic oil in my next service.
That's great. Stick to the recommended grade, and avoid that TVS recommended fully synthetic oil(which says 10W30).

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th March 2018, 15:34   #48
Senior - BHPian

Athek I'm having a serious power cut off issue at around 30-45 Kmph. The electricals all work but the engine shuts down and wheels lock up for a second.

Did you face this issue. I faced it 3-4 times already.
Old 28th March 2018, 15:39   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanjohn123 View Post
Athek I'm having a serious power cut off issue at around 30-45 Kmph. The electricals all work but the engine shuts down and wheels lock up for a second.

No, i haven't faced this issue, but another rider from the Bangalore group did. It just happened once though, i will check with him and update if it has happened again.

I think you should quickly get it checked, it could be fatal, the wheel lock up sound real scary.
Old 28th March 2018, 21:08   #50
JLS
BHPian

Quote:

Wheel locking is a sign of piston seizing in my opinion.
You should not drive your bike further or drive in limp mode AND take immediately to service center

Regards
JLS
JLS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2018, 23:10   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No, i haven't faced this issue, but another rider from the Bangalore group did. It just happened once though, i will check with him and update if it has happened again.

I think you should quickly get it checked, it could be fatal, the wheel lock up sound real scary.
what is your bike's manufacturing month ? Mine is Feb.

I informed my dealership immediately and they are sending their tech over to my place tomorrow. Hopefully they'll rectify it and do my first service as well.
Old 29th March 2018, 11:15   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
what is your bike's manufacturing month ? Mine is Feb.

I informed my dealership immediately and they are sending their tech over to my place tomorrow. Hopefully they'll rectify it and do my first service as well.
Mine is Jan manufactured, i checked with the other person and he did not face the same issue again. Get your bike properly checked and if it happens even once again, write directly to TVS.
Old 30th March 2018, 21:40   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Mine is Jan manufactured
How would you rate the refinement in this bike lets say as compared to a KTM 390 and then the CBR 250 sir.

Last edited by The Great : 30th March 2018 at 21:54.
Old 30th March 2018, 21:57   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Mine is Jan manufactured, i checked with the other person and he did not face the same issue again. Get your bike properly checked and if it happens even once again, write directly to TVS.
Someone from my RR 310 group wrote to TVS and immediately they sent a tech to my place. The issue didn't crop up again during testing but the tech attributed the problem to probably be my slow riding style which is low rpm at higher gear's.

He scanned and reset some errors and did my first service as well. Let's hope it does not come again. Either way's I'm going to set up my cam to capture if it happens again.
Old 30th March 2018, 22:18   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great View Post
How would you rate the refinement in this bike lets say as compared to a KTM 390 and then the CBR 250 sir.
I have not driven any of those bikes extensively, i come from the brand of Apache and it is obviously more refined compared to RTR. Few others who have riddent CBR 250 tell me it is probably the best refined bike in this segment, and i guess that would still continue to hold true.

Quote:
Someone from my RR 310 group wrote to TVS and immediately they sent a tech to my place. The issue didn't crop up again during testing but the tech attributed the problem to probably be my slow riding style which is low rpm at higher gear's.

He scanned and reset some errors and did my first service as well. Let's hope it does not come again. Either way's I'm going to set up my cam to capture if it happens again.
Cutting off the engine is fine, i am concerned about tyre locking up, that should not happen.
AtheK is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2018, 22:25   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The tech attributed the problem to probably be my slow riding style which is low rpm at higher gear's..
But do you ride this way? If you do, please change your riding style. The piston rings will go for a toss if you lug a new engine. Even if you revv the engine to a higher rpm in lower gear it will not impact as much as lugging the engine when it is new. Also it is advisable to take the bike to higher RPM's and keep varying it once it in a while on the new bike too. I guess you know all this but still stating it coz you mentioned that your riding style is low rpm and higher gear. Specially since the red line is at around 10500-11000 rpm it is safe the ride the bike at half that so around 5500-6000 rpm is fine.
abhinav.s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2018, 00:16   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
But do you ride this way? If you do, please change your riding style. The piston rings will go for a toss if you lug a new engine. Even if you revv the engine to a higher rpm in lower gear it will not impact as much as lugging the engine when it is new. Also it is advisable to take the bike to higher RPM's and keep varying it once it in a while on the new bike too. I guess you know all this but still stating it coz you mentioned that your riding style is low rpm and higher gear. Specially since the red line is at around 10500-11000 rpm it is safe the ride the bike at half that so around 5500-6000 rpm is fine.
Actually I never go to the point of lugging the engine. I stay somewhere between 3.5-4.5K RPM. Occasionally for sudden overtaking I probably rip around 5-6K RPM. I know this bike can go higher than this but I'm a new rider and would like to ride safer and slower initially till I get to know the bike well.

This is why I gave TVS Tech the benefit of doubt and I'm going to start riding with my cam on from now on to actually see if it's my riding style which is at fault or not.
Old 31st March 2018, 08:17   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Spot on!

For example KTM says you can take a brand new 390's engine to 7500 rpm without any issues. But taking it to less than 4000rpm is bad for the engine.

I would recommend 5000-6500rpm if you say you are a new rider.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st April 2018, 22:00   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Went for a long drive till Markonahalli Dam, it was a 250 Km drive, both ways. We were a group of 10 bikes and it was fun to get all the attention, even better was the view of the beautiful projector lights all the time in your rear view mirror.

This was the first long drive for Drakula after that 1st Service, and it performed well for the majority of the part, though now I have two major irritants.

1. The chain sound it just continues to get worse, TVS need to fix this. I will try to meet the R&D team this week. In a funny development I have figured out when that when I have a pillion rider the noise is pretty much non existent. Points to ponder for TVS.

2. The clutch and gear box is giving me a bit of trouble, where in the upshifts are butter smooth, it's the downshifts that are becoming extremely hard while shifting from 3-2-1, Neutral is almost impossible to find. The moment I switch off the engine,* I am easily able to find the neutral. This also needs to be fixed very quickly. I think I will be spending majority of my next Saturday in the service centre.

Engine Performance - The engine is absolutely a gem on this one, it revs freely, and gains speed extremely quickly, before you know you are doing triple digits. Overtaking is a breeze, and it is around the 4000-8000 rpm that this engine comes in it's* own. You can cruise effortlessly at around 110 kmph at around 6500 rpm. Peeps waiting for BMW G310, you guys will be in for a treat. TVS/BMW has got everything right about the engine. You will be smiling every time you get to rev this engine, it's a given. This is an effortless highway cruiser and a very frugal city performer, the servicing of the engine has just opened up the avenues to push the engine further.

Vibrations - Let's just say this is no where near the refinement of the Japanese with the twins. Vibrations are a plenty the moment you hit 100+, it's not a deal breaker, but no way you can ignore them. They only get worse as you move further the speed chain. The footpeg, the handlebar have quite a bit of vibrations, the tank also has some element of it. I will suggest the prospective buyers to test drive before making a decision, specially if vibrations puts you off. Prasannadhanna suggested to look at CBR 250R if vibrations put you off, and I guess it is worth a shot of you can live with a dated design and engine. Let's see what and how TVS makes it better.

Braking - Had a heart in mouth situation when one car just took a sharp left and came in my lane, I braked real hard, no fuss no drama, brakes just worked as they should have. 10/10 to TVS.

Leaving you with some pics, and a video.

Attached Thumbnails
Drakula - My TVS Apache RR 310-1522599983204.jpg  

Drakula - My TVS Apache RR 310-1522600036104.jpg  

Drakula - My TVS Apache RR 310-1522600069388.jpg  

Drakula - My TVS Apache RR 310-1522600114470.jpg  

Drakula - My TVS Apache RR 310-1522600156068.jpg  

Drakula - My TVS Apache RR 310-1522600166678.jpg  

Last edited by GTO : 2nd April 2018 at 09:33. Reason: No pics or posts of overspeeding please. Ride safe!
AtheK is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 1st April 2018, 23:33   #60
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

1. The chain sound it just continues to get worse, TVS need to fix this. I will try to meet the R&D team this week. In a funny development I have figured out when that when I have a pillion rider the noise is pretty much non existent. Points to ponder for TVS.
Weight of the pillion causes the suspension to sag down and the geometry makes the chain gets tighter.

Possibly the chain is too loose?
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed