Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2007, 11:45   #16
BHPian

Quote:
i think one will need coil rewinding to get the kind of brightness, i want to know how far is it feasible to put in a higher wattage bulb in these 150 and 180cc bikes with out coil rewinding, and is the coil rewinding all that necessary to get that kind of brightness?
[/quote]

If you really want your 60/55w bulb to full use you have get the coil-rewinding done & replace the stock regulator. if you are satisfied with the stock coil then not required.
Old 10th December 2007, 11:49   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6 View Post
So then is it possible to fit an hid kit to these bikes since they are 35 watts?

Yes its possble more info here:
http://http://www.xbhp.com/talkies/s...ad.php?t=10354
Old 10th December 2007, 12:50   #18
Senior - BHPian

@redrage: Yes you can no extra fittings needed, read my Post above.
Old 10th December 2007, 16:18   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praJEEP View Post
just one doubt was the 90/100 bulb placed on the stock coil or else you got the winding done, just curious..
technocrat you still haven't cleared my doubt yet
Old 11th December 2007, 11:40   #20
Senior - BHPian

No winding or anything at All if its a ZMA. Just buy a bulb & get it fitted thats all Nothing else is needed even for 90\100w bulb(my zma had one)

Quote:
CrazyRider: ZMA headlamps are powered by the battery right?
Yes they are.

Last edited by Technocrat : 11th December 2007 at 11:42.
Old 14th December 2007, 10:48   #21
Senior - BHPian

Ok lets try and make some things clear over here.

There are basically two ways to power a bikes headlights 1. Battery 2. Alternator.

Now bikes like ZMA have dc electricals that are directly fed from the battery and hence, when changing the bulb wattage from 35w to any higher wattage no change is required except for the bulb

Now for bikes like Unicorn, Pulsar (except p220), xtreme etc all run their headlight from the alternator hence, need coil rewoudning to increase the power output of the alternator. In unicorn the stock power output is 35w only and hence, changing to a higher wattage bulb wont make any difference as the bulb will not glow to its full potential. If you increase the power output to 90w then you can run any bulb at its full potential.

All bike headlight bulb holders are P43T type (3 pin) hence, you can fix any bulb of any make as long as its the P43T type holder.

For Unicorn
----------

Theres one glitch here, when I fixed a 90/100 Philips Rally Vision or Halonix 60+ the bulb was not functioning at its full potential, also changing from low ot high beam took a few seconds to operate.

However, a 60/55w bulb works perfectly on the Unicorn. One exception though is philips, these bulbs release a lot of heat and i feel like most of the power is lost in this heat. I am using OSRAM now and its much cooler bulb with good brightness.

Now 1 ques frm my side: Can the Unicorn electricals be converted to DC like the ZMAs.

I hope I have made a few things clear.....if theres something wrong please update
Old 14th December 2007, 15:21   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
Ok lets try and make some things clear over here.

There are basically two ways to power a bikes headlights 1. Battery 2. Alternator.

Now bikes like ZMA have dc electricals that are directly fed from the battery and hence, when changing the bulb wattage from 35w to any higher wattage no change is required except for the bulb

Now for bikes like Unicorn, Pulsar (except p220), xtreme etc all run their headlight from the alternator hence, need coil rewoudning to increase the power output of the alternator.

Now 1 ques frm my side: Can the Unicorn electricals be converted to DC like the ZMAs.

I hope I have made a few things clear.....if theres something wrong please update

In ACDC bikes the alternator has two + outputs from two separate coils one goes to the battery, through the RR unit, to charge it and the other one goes to the headlight, through the AC regulator, to power it.

The AC regulator and the RR in most cases is one unit.

In DC bikes the alternator charges the battery through the RR unit. And the battery feeds the power to all ends.

If you want to run the Unicorn's headlamp from the battery you can in fact do it. You have to install a battery of higher capacity and the get the charging coil in your alternator rewound to give more output and use another RR unit.

If you power the headlamp from the battery you're basically converting your ACDC system to a DC only system.
Old 14th December 2007, 17:08   #23
Senior - BHPian

I may sound dumb but why is everyone suggesting to rewound the alternator coil? Wouldn't it be much easier to go for a higher powered alternator?
What difference in cost are we talking about here?

- Jag
Old 14th December 2007, 17:35   #24
Senior - BHPian

I believe its the unavailability of higher power Alternators & also that rewinding is cheaper option.
Old 14th December 2007, 21:14   #25
BHPian

The alternator in bikes are housed inside that crankcase cover. So a different bigger alternator will never fit into the space available in the bike.

The only option remains is to increase the number of winding in the alternator, and using thicher gauge wires for the job. This effectively increases the power output of the alternator. So this is the best option, provided the winding is done properly.
Old 15th December 2007, 15:29   #26
Senior - BHPian

I have an RX-135. My mechanic says that if i fit a more powerful battery then i will be able to fit an HID kit on that too. What do you guys think?
Old 15th December 2007, 15:30   #27
Senior - BHPian

Prajeep that link doesnt open up. Try it yourself.
Old 15th December 2007, 16:28   #28
BHPian

Pulsars :
Use avenger coil plate. and run 60/55W easily.no splicing of wiring etc.

ZMA: Use 60/55W bulb without any mods or use a 100/90 bulb with relay (local lang = cut-out)

HID kits: a 5ah+ battery is recommended to run a HID kit. buy a H4 and plug into your standard headlamp assmbly or buy a H3 and run it off a auxillary lamp.

My
Old 15th December 2007, 16:44   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6 View Post
I have an RX-135. My mechanic says that if i fit a more powerful battery then i will be able to fit an HID kit on that too. What do you guys think?
You may try, but most probably with the bigger battery your alternator may not have enough juice to charge the battery.

Just confirm that this part of the problem is also taken care of. Then enlighten the world with your HID.
Old 15th December 2007, 17:22   #30
Senior - BHPian

Thanks i'm going to check on that soon and lets see how it goes. Will keep you guys posted.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks