Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2018, 09:21   #46
BHPian

Re: Which 125cc Automatic Scooter for my dad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocrazy View Post
As I said TVS are not very common in Bombay, sourcing spares will be a problem.

Agree, but dad uses it for chores to bet fro. A to B. The scooter needs reliability, serviceability and spare availability above all else

Where are you based? I think Suzuki spares should not be problem in Bombay as I have seen many Access 125s

Thanks. But I am finding it difficult to go for TVS unless someone fro. Bombay can vouch about its spares availability
Even a small city like Kannauj in UP has no issues with spare availability for TVS and Suzuki.

Quote:
Yes Activa 125 and Access 125 are front runners. Is Active 125 metal bodied?

I think I have been in clear in showing my preferences. Access 125 is frontrunner along with Active. I agree about our view about Honda service e due to volumes

Apart from the spare parts issue Zest is only 110 cc, but surely did not know it has a metal body.

Can someone list down all metal bodies scooters along with their cc?

I think dad will prefer metal body over specs!
Metal body also means heavier weight
Old 18th April 2018, 09:45   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
.Do you have any power to weight ratios for zest 110 vs another 125cc scooter to substantiate your claim?
Nope, just a seat of the pants feeling. Anyway, since TVS isn't that popular in your neighborhood, I guess providing those figures won't help much.

Good luck with your search and do let us know what you finalize.

Cheers,
Vikram
comfortablynumb is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2018, 10:42   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkc View Post
I have a 2018 Access 125 SE, its 5 months old and the ride is very very harsh and back breaking. I would recommend the scooter - minus the Hard rear Suspension.
The average was 40-42kmpl before service and now seems like the scooter's average dropped to 33-35kmpl.
I own a access too, do check the tire pressure recommended, it is very much less than what the petrol bunk guys fill up.

Suspension has been set for maximum road grip and stability, it gets comfortable with 2 on-board.

Bike runs very lean from the factory, with the same tune, I am getting around 45+ consistently. Biggest issue so far is finding ASS near my home, very few of them in chennai.
giri1.8 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2018, 12:35   #49
Senior - BHPian

Hey autocrazy!

Sorry for being late to the discussion because I just got myself an Access 125 last week. I've driven about 270 km till date and some of them include college commute of 23 kms one way. I thought I'll get a daily commuter perspective before posting.

My previous ride was a 2008 Honda Aviator. To be very honest, I found it difficult to adjust to the driving position of the Access 125 after extensively driving the Honda despite test driving the Suzuki several times. The ride is certainly stiff and both my brother and dad hates it and criticizes me for getting one. I love it to the core for its responsive engine.

The mileage I got was 52 kmpl for the first tank-full. My Aviator couldn't give anything above 35 kmpl towards the end.

To be really honest, i don't think older people would like to make drastic changes. I would recommend ignoring all power and weight figures and make sure your dad is comfortable about what he is buying. Make sure he gets a long test drive. I never knew the Access 125 can be a bit painful on 1 hour drives. Else like me, you would have an earful every time you talk on the phone with your father.

Happy shopping!
Turbohead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2018, 18:22   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
Hey autocrazy!
Thanks, it is such first hand valuable feedback that helps. Many others have mentioned stiff ride, but your dad's earful brings it home.

It probably will end up as Activa in the end, but yes will request him to take a look and test drive of both

Last edited by aah78 : 23rd April 2018 at 20:49. Reason: Quote edited. Please avoid quoting large posts entirely. Thanks!
autocrazy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2018, 20:10   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It probably will end up as Activa in the end, but yes will request him to take a look and test drive of both
Suzuki Access since early days was known for its stiff suspension and has never had a plush set up. Even though the current access is the lightest 125cc scooter, it is still stiffly sprung which is good for youth but middle aged and older people prefer plush suspension. In that sense, the Activa 125 ticks the right boxes for your dad since he is upgrading from the older Activa. The old activa front suspension has remained the same since the time it was launched while the Activa 125 gets telescopic front suspension which will reduce the fatigue of the shoulder and arms over bad roads even if it is for short distances. Hence your dad should surely get the Activa itself but definitely the 125 and not the 4G or 5G since they have the same suspension as the old one. All the best and do keep us posted on the final purchase.
abhinav.s is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th April 2018, 11:23   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Suzuki Access since early days was known for its stiff suspension and has never had a plush set up. Even though the current access is the lightest 125cc scooter, it is still stiffly sprung which is good for youth but middle aged and older people prefer plush suspension. In that sense, the Activa 125 ticks the right boxes for your dad since he is upgrading from the older Activa. The old activa front suspension has remained the same since the time it was launched while the Activa 125 gets telescopic front suspension which will reduce the fatigue of the shoulder and arms over bad roads even if it is for short distances. Hence your dad should surely get the Activa itself but definitely the 125 and not the 4G or 5G since they have the same suspension as the old one. All the best and do keep us posted on the final purchase.
When I last spoke to my service guys at Suzuki they told me that the new Access is being liked by middle-aged and senior citizens at least in Pune because of it's ride quality and the fact that currently, Suzuki after-sales service is better than what Honda provides. That's why I got it for my dad.
Personally, I too feel the Access has a better ride quality than most other scooters in the market and bing light is another plus point. I had extensively test ridden the Activa 125, 4G, Wego etc. before I bought mine and the Access stands out in my opinion.
Ride quality on these scooters deteriorates over a period of time as the suspension starts getting hard as these are built to a price. On my Activa, I have changed the rear shock absorber a couple of times over the past few years as it just gets harder.

Last edited by Crankpin : 24th April 2018 at 11:27.
Crankpin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2018, 16:32   #53

I have purchased new access around 9 months back & clocked not more than 5k Kilometres. In-spite of some quality issues , I would like to rate it batter than new generation Activa considering its performance, handling and comfort
Major issues experienced - 1) Poor quality paint and fibre parts - uncoloured parts faded and looks whitish. 2) Battery started draining frequently - got replaced in warranty. 3) Severe front brake judder from day 1 & still not resolved. 4) Rust found on many parts even on front wheel rim - got it replaced in warranty. Muffler surface also found with lots of rust over it. 5) Front wheel oil seal looks like damaged , now planned to show this concern to Suzuki guys in next scheduled service.
One thing I would appreciate that support from dealership, I found better than Honda , as I have Honda Navi and Honda Activa as well dealership people are not bothered to understand your problems .
Old 9th May 2018, 18:20   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impala_123 View Post
3) Severe front brake judder from day 1 & still not resolved.
Faced this on my access too albeit the older version (2012). This issue continued till a year and I had to go to 3 different service centers for a solution. All they did was do a test drive and try to convince me that everything is normal and I have been using the brakes too cautiously.
I almost have given up but one mechanic test drove it for 50 meters and that's it he immediately acknowledged the problem. Simple solution to the problem was rubbing the brake shoes as the surface was uneven causing the judder. Some batches come with this problem from the factory.
Hope this helps.
Old 9th May 2018, 19:55   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_abarth View Post
Faced this on my access too albeit the older version (2012). This issue continued till a year and I had to go to 3 different service centers for a solution. All they did was do a test drive and try to convince me that everything is normal and I have been using the brakes too cautiously.
I almost have given up but one mechanic test drove it for 50 meters and that's it he immediately acknowledged the problem. Simple solution to the problem was rubbing the brake shoes as the surface was uneven causing the judder. Some batches come with this problem from the factory.
Hope this helps.
Rubbing the liner would be temporary solution, what caused the uneven wear of the brake shoe is important. I replaced front brake drum once but problem resurfaced after some months. I guess this is because of poor quality of surfacing and lack of manufacturing precision of the brake drum manufacturer causing drum Ovality !
Old 10th May 2018, 11:21   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impala_123 View Post
Rubbing the liner would be temporary solution, what caused the uneven wear of the brake shoe is important. I replaced front brake drum once but problem resurfaced after some months. I guess this is because of poor quality of surfacing and lack of manufacturing precision of the brake drum manufacturer causing drum Ovality !
In my case, rubbing the liners worked. The issue hasn't got back since then. However, I had poor rear braking issue as well which was resolved only after changing the brake drum last year (after 5 years !!!). The fact is there are many such batches dispatched with issues and the service guys do not want to dwell in solving them. This November my access will be completing 6 years and I will be bidding goodbye to her. Enough of the drama
Old 10th May 2018, 12:48   #57
BHPian

I am also looking to get my dad a new 125 cc scooter. His current ride is a 14 year old Activa, which has served him well so far. However it has all the niggles you would expect a 1.5 decade old vehicle to have.

The 2 options I have in mind are the Suzuki Access and the Activa 125. ASS is not an issue with either vehicle because both Suzuki & Honda have service centers quite close to where my parents live. Power is also not really a factor here and the boot space in both vehicles are comparable. I am inclined to pick the former because it also offers a front disc brake at a lower price.I plan to go for a test ride later this week to compare the ride quality.
Old 10th May 2018, 16:24   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satishv1987 View Post
I am also looking to get my dad a new 125 cc scooter. His current ride is a 14 year old Activa, which has served him well so far. However it has all the niggles you would expect a 1.5 decade old vehicle to have.

The 2 options I have in mind are the Suzuki Access and the Activa 125. ASS is not an issue with either vehicle because both Suzuki & Honda have service centers quite close to where my parents live. Power is also not really a factor here and the boot space in both vehicles are comparable. I am inclined to pick the former because it also offers a front disc brake at a lower price.I plan to go for a test ride later this week to compare the ride quality.
The access has a back breaking ride, I am saying this since you said this is for your father. There are other offerings in Honda and TVS too with disc brake (Activa 125, Grazia, ntorq). This is purely my based on my experience as I have been riding an access 125 since 6 years daily 60 KM.
Old 10th May 2018, 16:29   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_abarth View Post
The access has a back breaking ride, I am saying this since you said this is for your father. There are other offerings in Honda and TVS too with disc brake (Activa 125, Grazia, ntorq). This is purely my based on my experience as I have been riding an access 125 since 6 years daily 60 KM.
You must be riding the older Access. The new Access has nothing of the older one and offers a much comfy ride compared to Wego/ Activa 125 etc.
Plus much lighter weight (older riders/ women riders) better handling and disc brakes if required!
The Access gives decent economy too (last I checked was around 38-42 kmpl)
Old 10th May 2018, 18:25   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankpin View Post
You must be riding the older Access. The new Access has nothing of the older one and offers a much comfy ride compared to Wego/ Activa 125 etc.
Plus much lighter weight (older riders/ women riders) better handling and disc brakes if required!
The Access gives decent economy too (last I checked was around 38-42 kmpl)
Thanks for the clarification. Didn't know the new generation access has changed a lot.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks