Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2018, 14:09   #16
BANNED

Re: Royal Enfield Pegasus 500 owners feel cheated, express disappointment over cheaper Signals 350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
A bunch of people who were willing bakras and actually fought to be in queue for the privilege, got ripped off.
Most honest post I've come across on TBhp.

Making up for insecurities with bling can only go so far, I believe this case study should be added to upcoming 'Moral Science' books for children if such a thing still exists.

As for my take on Royal Enfield's, other than being guilty of providing products of compromised material integrity I see nothing wrong in their actions. They released a limited edition which saw success so why not replicate that with something similar with a higher product turnover potential. Even if looking at the scenario under a microscope I fail to see the moral dilemma here.

As for my take on paint-schemes in general, it is stupid to pay a premium for paint, the intention of painting something is so that it is more resistant to climatic factors, plus any motorcyclist worth his salt know's that dropping a motorcycle is part of the parcel of owning a motorcycle which is more the reason why premium paint-schemes, paint protection etc. doesn't make sense for someone who would be making the best out of it.

Edit: For the record, I find body color painted Bumper's stupid as well, the thing is called a 'Bumper' for a reason!

Last edited by ashwinprakas : 3rd September 2018 at 14:11.
ashwinprakas is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2018, 14:22   #17
Senior - BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Pegasus 500 owners feel cheated, express disappointment over cheaper Signals 350

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
Well, its threads like these that really brighten up the weekend! So where do I start? Lets look at the facts ...
... Happy riding.
Couldn't have been penned down better

The problem with our mentality is that it is one of a herd. A few smart buyers of the Pegasus would have seen the similarity between the Signals and forgotten everything else except the ABS and the price difference and started off a group to vent their fury which would have developed to this.

The whole point of a limited edition is the exclusivity which makes one stand out and the speed at which the online booking was done, it does show the buyers were aware of this.

Owning a Bullet around 15 years ago and earlier was being exclusive.
For those who have these limited editions, enjoy the exclusivity.
Old 3rd September 2018, 14:31   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Naughty minds will be quick to suggest that the parts falling off the 250 motorcycles might prove to be counter productive to the cleanliness movement but lets ignore them for now.
OK, I lost it here. I was smiling until this point, but started laughing at this.

Quote:
Here is my genuine heartfelt advice to the 250 Pegasus 500 owners in India. Please understand, what you have is what something that nobody else in India has. The motorcycle has got a good engine and looks smashing. Enjoy the motorcycle. Ride it to the different ends of the country. Dont part with it. You have paid a handsome premium for a limited edition motorcycle. Watch how each of your 250 motorcycles appreciate in value over the next decade or two. You will be glad that you paid a small premium compared to what you will get for it when you eventually decide to sell it. Happy riding.
This is great advice. Not just to the 250 individuals, but in general to anyone suffering from buyer's remorse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by typlo View Post
Potential owners ... are surely being taken on a ride by RE.
With all due respect, they wanted to be taken for a ride on an RE. It is probably unfortunate that it is the company doing so, and not the bike.
arunphilip is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2018, 14:58   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
This is great advice. Not just to the 250........
I agree. This applies to mobile phones, laptops, cars, bikes, wives - the list is endless! So why single out RE?

Over the years, they have become masters at fulfilling the "wannabe aspirations" of the majority of RE customers, and don't look like stopping anytime soon. Talk about taking "old wine in a new bottle" to a whole new level!

If I had 2-3L to spare, I would buy RE stock pronto, rather than their bikes!

Cheers,
Vikram
comfortablynumb is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2018, 15:41   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Over the years, they have become masters at fulfilling the "wannabe aspirations" of the majority of RE customers, and don't look like stopping anytime soon. Talk about taking "old wine in a new bottle" to a whole new level!

If I had 2-3L to spare, I would buy RE stock pronto, rather than their bikes!
very well said, a quick glance at their stock proves this.

I saw the Signals edition and immediately thought to myself "Who's going to pay up for a fake stenciled number on the fuel tank and fancy stickers" Now I know people paid 40% premium for the same (Pegasus)

All limited edition stuff is a waste of time for normal people, because normal people start seeking value and comparing value. Only collectors can appreciate the value and pay a premium without complaining.
Tapish is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2018, 15:47   #21
BHPian

Quote:
A bunch of people who were willing bakras and actually fought to be in queue for the privilege, got ripped off.

What’s the big deal? Why do they pretend to be maharajas slighted by Rolls Royce and threaten to donate the bikes to garbage collection?

The bikes were garbage anyway - it might just become official now.

This is the kind of quality content I come here for

Let's be honest here. The only real reason for anyone to buy an RE today is:

1. They don't know any better.

2. They want to look cool.

And to give credit where credit is due, RE does an excellent job of making beautiful-looking bikes, this cannot be denied. RE is also known for not giving a damn about its customers, because for every one loyal customer that comes to his senses and switches to a motorcycle that actually runs, RE gains ten new customers allured by the macho retro classic heritage blah blah blah, so this doesn't really bother them.

tl;dr nothing of consequence will happen.
marcussantiago is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2018, 18:35   #22
KMT
BHPian

Come on guys.
We all know that a significant number of RE buyers who are poseurs.
If they still fall for the WW II commando / airforce/ army signals marketing magic, they should have joined the defence forces.

Apart from the lovely exhaust beat and Siddartha Lals marketing accumen what else does RE have going for it?
KMT is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 4th September 2018, 08:34   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMT View Post
Apart from the lovely exhaust beat and Siddartha Lals marketing accumen what else does RE have going for it?
I am no fan of RE but do we have to bash them in each and every thread? Apart from their reliability issue (and that is yuugee), the motorcycles are pretty decent for the price points.
A just serviced, all bolts tightened 500 is a big joy to ride. I do wish they increase prices 20-30% and pump that all into making the motorcycles more reliable.

Coming back to topic, honestly what were the owners expecting? That RE will never do another LE again? If the owners try to sell their Pegasus 500, I doubt they will get 1Re more than a normal C500.
timuseravan is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 4th September 2018, 11:44   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by timuseravan View Post
I am no fan of RE but do we have to bash them in each and every thread? Apart from their reliability issue (and that is yuugee), the motorcycles are pretty decent for the price points
This statement was probably true 10-15 years back - RE gets bashed because they havent evolved except a few paint schemes from then on. You can buy a top notch modern motorcycle for the price they charge in today;s times - Dominar 400, Duke 390, FZ25, Duke 200 - the list goes on.
ethanhunt123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2018, 11:56   #25
BHPian

Why would a company which gives a damn about its lacs of customer by providing substandard products care for some 1000 odd customers? Who in their right mind would expect a company like RE to think emotionally and not from business point of view? I don't think bad publicity matters for RE, had it mattered we would have seen their sales decreasing and not increasing. If those 250 do end up donating their bikes, I see some cleanliness happening and that I guess is a sliver lining.
Old 4th September 2018, 20:37   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well, its threads like these that really brighten up the weekend! So where do I start? .......

---SNIP---

Here is my genuine heartfelt advice to the 250 Pegasus 500 owners in India. Please understand, what you have is what something that nobody else in India has. The motorcycle has got a good engine and looks smashing. Enjoy the motorcycle. Ride it to the different ends of the country. Dont part with it. You have paid a handsome premium for a limited edition motorcycle. Watch how each of your 250 motorcycles appreciate in value over the next decade or two. You will be glad that you paid a small premium compared to what you will get for it when you eventually decide to sell it. Happy riding.
One of the best posts that I have ever read on Team-BHP. Nicely written with just the amount of sarcasm and hidden tongue-in-cheek references. Couldn't have been written better. Thanks dude, it gave me a very nice

Biggest mistake people made there? Trusting a COMPANY. And that too RE. We all know RE for what it is - a company that uses its customers as guinea pigs and hardly puts in any effort into producing bullet-proof (pardon the pun) motorcycles.

I like the last paragraph that I have quoted though. And this is more of a life reference too - better, shinier, chromier things will keep coming along. The machine/device that you just bought is already old! And I can't understand the irony either - you WILLINGLY bought a "heritage" machine but now can't stand the fact that you paid more for something that doesn't have newer tech in it? That is a big

Like Neil says, wait for your motor to appreciate. Hold on to it for 10 years or more, watch the price shoot up. Meanwhile, ride. Enjoy the ride.
Old 4th September 2018, 21:33   #27
Senior - BHPian

I also read in one of the FB pages that some garage was offering the Pegasus paint job plus all the other extras to make a normal Classic 500 look like the Pegasus for 20K.
pedrolourenco is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2018, 11:45   #28
BHPian

A new development: Pegasus 500 disposed off into a garbage dump by someone.

SOURCE

The customers and the company aren't handling this situation well.
typlo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2018, 13:08   #29
BHPian

With the aforesaid debate.. one RE lover is so heartbroken, that he throws his limited edition, INR 2 lakh rupees bike into the garbage dump!

Not sure who's to blame here? RE as a firm.. or the deeply in love customer.

Source (Article in Kannada essentially summarizes the discussion in this thread).

Royal Enfield Pegasus 500 owners feel cheated, express disappointment over cheaper Signals 350-delete-1.jpg
OrangeCar is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th September 2018, 13:24   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCar View Post
Not sure who's to blame here?
This post summarizes the whole scenario as best as possible -

Quote:

What’s the big deal? Why do they pretend to be maharajas slighted by Rolls Royce and threaten to donate the bikes to garbage collection?

The bikes were garbage anyway - it might just become official now.
That said, where I disagree is with the notion that two wrongs make a right. RE might will build poor quality bikes, those who bought might have volunteered to become bakras.

But still these doesn't justify RE releasing a lookalike bike themselves IMO, specially considering the 40% premium they had charged. So I feel RE is wrong here, irrespective of what the customers deserve or not.

PS - 40% premium for the hot looks and those typical dinchak aftermarket alloys.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks