Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2018, 14:46   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Yamaha RX Series Bikes : DIY Video Tutorials

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomson13 View Post
Wow Pramod, That is quite surprising. I am sure it was your passion that let to you bagging such prized possessions.

Your videos are really very helpful and have inspired me to start performing routine maintenance on my RXG rather than heading to the mechanic every now and then.
I am honored that there are people getting benefited from my small endeavour. Thanks for the kind words.

Quote:
One question - I run my bike on premix but the oil pump on my bike is still in working condition. Since there is no oil being pumped by the oil pump:
1. Will it not lead to pump wear and tear since it is running dry?
The answer is yes, the pump will wear out, it uses gears to pump oil.

Quote:
2. The carb would be sucking in air through the oil inlet port, won't this lean out the mixture?
Technically yes, you can disconnect the oil inlet pipe from the carburettor while the bike is running, this should let your RPM shoot up marginally. if this doesn't happen then you are sucking in air through the pump.

Alternatively you can remove the pump and keep it aside, a new video on repairing the pump coming soon. There are 2 oil seals and a packing that needs replacement. I will share a detailed instruction guide.

Pramod
pramodkumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th October 2018, 14:18   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
I am honored that there are people getting benefited from my small endeavour. Thanks for the kind words.

The answer is yes, the pump will wear out, it uses gears to pump oil.

Technically yes, you can disconnect the oil inlet pipe from the carburettor while the bike is running, this should let your RPM shoot up marginally. if this doesn't happen then you are sucking in air through the pump.

Alternatively you can remove the pump and keep it aside, a new video on repairing the pump coming soon. There are 2 oil seals and a packing that needs replacement. I will share a detailed instruction guide.

Pramod
I've decided to keep the pump running. I am currently testing it out, so I use premix as well as separate 2T oil in the tank. I have reduced the oil level in the premix now, earlier I would use 30ml/litre and now its around 20ml / litre.

I was apprehensive about the oil pump's condition since it was running dry for the last year and a half. Poured around half litre oil in the 2T tank, opened up the oil pump housing cover, started the bike and began to unscrew the philips screw to the left of the pump. Removed the screw entirely and waited.
Oil flowed out in around 30 seconds. Put the screw back and tightened it.
Next, I pulled out the tube going into the carburetor. This time the wait was much longer. It took almost 2 minutes for oil to start seeping through the tube. I had to slightly blip the throttle to speed up the process.

I was very surprised that the oil pump was still working like this and that the oil flow started without any problem. I did not adjust the throttle cable connected to the pump since I do not have much of an idea about what to look out for while adjusting it!

Pramod, maybe you could do a video on adjusting the oil pump cable. I know that you run your bikes on premix, but it would help people like me.
Old 8th October 2018, 14:21   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Pramod, maybe you could do a video on adjusting the oil pump cable. I know that you run your bikes on premix, but it would help people like me.
Sure, i will post a video. Its actually pretty simple.

Pramod
pramodkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2018, 16:30   #19
Senior - BHPian

Hi Pramod, please make a detailing video on whats the best way to keep the spokes and rest of the chrome from rusting. I feel the chrome spokes really make the bike look awesome in motion, especially at night. Its a such a headache that I have to replace them after every rainy season.

I have subscribes to your channel. Thanks a lot.
straight6 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2018, 10:34   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6 View Post
Hi Pramod, please make a detailing video on whats the best way to keep the spokes and rest of the chrome from rusting. I feel the chrome spokes really make the bike look awesome in motion, especially at night. Its a such a headache that I have to replace them after every rainy season.

I have subscribes to your channel. Thanks a lot.
Thanks a lot for subscribing.

The only option to keep them rust free is to keep them clean every week, if you shy away even for a week you will see pitting, I have the same problem but my spokes lasted me 2 years. I will try cleaning them again using aluminium foil and make a video this weekend.

Also coming soon.

General maintenance

Changing cables, clutch, brake, speedo, tacho(for RXZ) and throttle.

Changing brake shoes.

Replacing the flasher relay

Replacing the RR unit

Replacing various bulbs

Regards
Pramod
pramodkumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th October 2018, 20:08   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot for subscribing.

The only option to keep them rust free is to keep them clean every week, if you shy away even for a week you will see pitting, I have the same problem but my spokes lasted me 2 years. I will try cleaning them again using aluminium foil and make a video this weekend.
Thanks. I've also been told that you should wax/polish every spoke after a wash to avoid rusting.

What about getting the spokes chromed with high quality before installing them?

Also, there seems to be a shortage of plugs (WR5BC & BPR7HS) for the rx bikes here resulting in dealers asking for even 115/- for each if they have them when mrp is 85/-. Don't know if its all over the country.
Old 15th October 2018, 20:29   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. I've also been told that you should wax/polish every spoke after a wash to avoid rusting.
That should help, some high quality metal polish like Brasso. Non plated zinc dipped spokes turn brown/black after a while.

Quote:
What about getting the spokes chromed with high quality before installing them?.
Chrome is easy to clean and looks great, but it gets pitted faster if you do not maintain it

Quote:
Also, there seems to be a shortage of plugs (WR5BC & BPR7HS) for the rx bikes here resulting in dealers asking for even 115/- for each if they have them when mrp is 85/-. Don't know if its all over the country.
There are shortage in every two stroke parts, but you can take a stand to prevent profiteering. There are better plugs, most WR5BC and BPR7HS plugs that are available in the market are fake. Your best bet is a Yamaha A S S.

Pramod
Old 16th October 2018, 23:28   #23
Senior - BHPian

What do you mean by better plugs available? So far I haven't ended up with a fake plug luckily but I'm considering getting an iridium NGK as I've never tried one before in the RX.

Please add a video showing how to decarb an exhaust whenever you can. There are none on youtube for the RX.
Old 23rd October 2018, 11:03   #24
Senior - BHPian

Today we reached our first milestone, 100 Subs

Quote:
What do you mean by better plugs available? So far I haven't ended up with a fake plug luckily but I'm considering getting an iridium NGK as I've never tried one before in the RX..

Fake plugs cannot be distinguished easily, if you are using iridium plugs, then they are the best option available. I have been very busy lately, hence no videos. I have added a couple of videos in the channel do check them out.

Quote:
Please add a video showing how to decarb an exhaust whenever you can. There are none on Youtube for the RX.
Sure, adding to my list.

Pramod

Last edited by pramodkumar : 23rd October 2018 at 11:27.
Old 25th October 2018, 22:54   #25
Senior - BHPian

Latest in the series, this time replacing the throttle cable.

Expertise level required: intermediate

Pramod
Old 28th October 2018, 23:20   #26
Senior - BHPian

Adjusting and bleeding the oil pump.

Pramod
Old 30th October 2018, 09:41   #27
Senior - BHPian

Guys, I need your help!

I enjoy making these videos and I usually I am extremely lazy by nature . I am not getting any feedback on the quality and how I can improve the videos because presently the views are low and there is absolutely zero user engagement on my channel.

Please help me out with feedback about what you didn't like about the video, was the music too loud to your liking, was the instructions unclear, was the camera angles incorrect?

Please feel free to be blunt, My idea is to improve, I wont try to justify my shortcoming, I promise . I can re-record some videos if you guys feel it needs re-recording.

pramod
Old 30th October 2018, 13:41   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Guys, I need your help!

I enjoy making these videos and I usually I am extremely lazy by nature . I am not getting any feedback on the quality and how I can improve the videos because presently the views are low and there is absolutely zero user engagement on my channel.

Please help me out with feedback about what you didn't like about the video, was the music too loud to your liking, was the instructions unclear, was the camera angles incorrect?

Please feel free to be blunt, My idea is to improve, I wont try to justify my shortcoming, I promise . I can re-record some videos if you guys feel it needs re-recording.

pramod
I thought the oil pump bleeding video was a bit rushed - I am referring to the part where you explain about the notch on the pump and how to adjust the nut on top of the cover.

The music is pretty cool and adds a distinct flavor to your videos. I wouldn't touch that aspect.
Old 30th October 2018, 13:45   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I thought the oil pump bleeding video was a bit rushed - I am referring to the part where you explain about the notch on the pump and how to adjust the nut on top of the cover.

The music is pretty cool and adds a distinct flavor to your videos. I wouldn't touch that aspect.

I will make a longer and more detailed video.

Pramod
Old 4th February 2019, 09:59   #30
Senior - BHPian

Fixing a broken indicator/blinker stay

Expertize level : Intermediate/Beginner

Troubleshooting the neutral light

Expertize level : Intermediate/Beginner

Pramod

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com