Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2019, 19:44   #46
BHPian

Re: Yamaha RX Series Bikes : DIY Video Tutorials

Attachment 1915768Hi Pramod, I have bought the RX which I referred earlier Restored it myself to stock(as far as possible), except for painting and cylinder kit, carburetor replacement. Attaching pics. Please comment.
Attached Thumbnails
Yamaha RX Series Bikes : DIY Video Tutorials-img_20190730_153037100.jpg  

Yamaha RX Series Bikes : DIY Video Tutorials-img_20190730_153056159.jpg  

Yamaha RX Series Bikes : DIY Video Tutorials-img_20190730_153106575.jpg  

Yamaha RX Series Bikes : DIY Video Tutorials-img_20190730_153127767.jpg  

Last edited by Ashley Nair : 17th September 2019 at 19:51. Reason: picture quality bad
Ashley Nair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2019, 20:35   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley Nair View Post
The tank can be cleaned by electrolysis and need not be replaced
Thanks Ashley.

I was watching Pramod's video on home eletrolysis and saw that metal has to be submerged in water. Provided that tank is submerged, wouldn't the paint come off as well? Also how could we clean the inside of tank thoroughly and reach to the nook and corners just through the small opening under lid? Using pressure washer we can get some out, but isn't the risk of small/large bits blocking the fuel line more if we use pressure?

Your restored bike looks lovely. Did you remove tank rust the same way?
Old 17th September 2019, 20:55   #48
BHPian

Quote:
and saw that metal has to be submerged in water.
The tank need not be submerged. You can fill the tank with baking soda solution and connect the negative and positive leads to the exterior of the tank and into the solution respectively. There are numerous you tube videos for guidance. Yes, the soot will most probably overflow and destroy the paint.

Quote:
Using pressure washer we can get some out, but isn't the risk of small/large bits blocking the fuel line more if we use pressure?
After filling the tank partially with strong detergent solution(DIY), keep it for 30 minutes, vigorously shake the tank taking it in your hands( till you develop a strong tendency to mutter some sweet unparliamentary language to yourself) and then drain the solution. Dismantle the fuel petcock and pressure wash the inside walls, as far as possible. Dry the tank thoroughly, at least for 12 hours. In my own experience, this procedure removed all the grime and loose rust particles inside the tank. Last and most important, install a good fuel filter in the fuel line between the tank and the carburetor.

Last edited by Ashley Nair : 17th September 2019 at 21:04.
Ashley Nair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2019, 10:52   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreeJiva View Post
I live near Chavadimukku. I read somewhere that you live near technopark. If this deal goes good, may I bring the bike to you for expert opinion?

Whats your take on coverting Rx 100 to Mutt bike like the one attached? Are you a purist?
I live near Pothencode, Used to live in Kulathoor. The fins break usually when some grease monkey who doesn't know the basics of how to install a cylinder on the piston. Must have hammered it into place.

Read this Link (How not to get scammed while purchasing classic bikes) before you start talking money.

Converting it to a dirt bike is going to make it illegal on the roads, plus it will hamper sales. Buy something with other state expired RC and do the conversion. That way you can take it out only when you feel like and can take it to dirt tracks.

Pramod

Last edited by pramodkumar : 18th September 2019 at 10:54.
pramodkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2019, 00:01   #50
Senior - BHPian

Fixing a new clutch Worm.

Pramod
Old 25th September 2019, 09:39   #51
Senior - BHPian

How to install a switch with Pass light on RX.

Pramod
Old 26th September 2019, 20:33   #52
BHPian

Hi Pramod, I finally managed to buy the bike I had posted earlier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
Read this Link (How not to get scammed while purchasing classic bikes) before you start talking money.
Pramod
This really helped me shortlist the bike.

Quote:
Converting it to a dirt bike is going to make it illegal on the roads, plus it will hamper sales.
Pramod
Seems logical. Decided to make it reliable and then work on cosmetics.

1. Clutch is really tight (but doesn't seem to be revving like in neutral) and the pulling is horrible (maybe because I weigh 110kg )?
2. Rear Shocks bottom out with slight squeek on high set bumps or deep gutters - due to weight or them being worn? What do you think could be the problem?
3. Though there is an old battery, it didn't charge even after 30 km running. No lights or indicators worked. I thought power for these came from engine directly ?

Quote:
I live near Pothencode,
Pramod
As I am a Newbie can't sent PMs. Can we meet at your convenience?

Quote:
The fins break usually when some grease monkey who doesn't know the basics
Pramod
I have decided to get my hands dirty this time. Your Diy videos really give confidence.
Old 27th September 2019, 10:40   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Pramod, I finally managed to buy the bike I had posted earlier.
Congrats

Quote:
This really helped me shortlist the bike. .
Thanks, That's the intent of that thread, I am glad its working well for others.

Quote:
Seems logical. Decided to make it reliable and then work on cosmetics. .
That's the best approach

Quote:
1. Clutch is really tight (but doesn't seem to be revving like in neutral) and the pulling is horrible (maybe because I weigh 110kg )?.
There could be multiple things, clutch being tight could be mainly due to improper adjustment. I will make a video on how to do the adjustment

Quote:
2. Rear Shocks bottom out with slight squeek on high set bumps or deep gutters - due to weight or them being worn? What do you think could be the problem?.
Bad shocks maybe, these shocks don't last well. best is to get some heavy duty shocks, if you don't mind the stance, Apache/Pheonix/Victor shocks are good if stance is important then you can go for caliber/chroma shocks. You can sit over the rear shocks and check by pressing down if its bottoming out or moving down easily.

Quote:
3. Though there is an old battery, it didn't charge even after 30 km running. No lights or indicators worked. I thought power for these came from engine directly ?.
First check if the brake light is on all the time, get the battery tested from some shop you know, usually they will simply say it needs replacement. Check the charging circuit(the 2 wires coming to the battery) if its producing between 13-15V while the bike is running and you accelerate.

Quote:
As I am a Newbie can't sent PMs. Can we meet at your convenience?

I have decided to get my hands dirty this time. Your Diy videos really give confidence.
On my youtube channel there is an Instagram and facebook link, use those too reach out to me.

Pramod
Old 28th September 2019, 16:12   #54
BHPian

Quote:

On my Youtube channel there is an Instagram and facebook link, use those too reach out to me.

Pramod
Message sent in instagram.
Old 30th September 2019, 10:04   #55
Senior - BHPian

Conversion of an RX100 6V to 12V

Pramod
Old 30th September 2019, 10:14   #56
Senior - BHPian

Starting a 2 stroke Bike after a long hiatus

Pramod
Old 12th June 2020, 13:15   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Apache/Pheonix/Victor shocks are good if stance is important then you can go for caliber/chroma shocks. You can sit over the rear shocks and check by pressing down if its bottoming out or moving down easily.
Pramod
As you said Tvs shocks were adding to the height.

After changing to new CEAT 300/18 tyres, with my old (probably busted) shocks the rim was touching the tyres too frequently, caused by slightest undulations on road. So had to change the shocks asap. That's when I came across the below video by Hassan Elyas.

My roommate had Platina and I had hands on experience with the performance of Platina Shocks.

So bought 2 for 750/- each yesterday. The 'O' rings inside the rubber bush at the joints had to be removed from Platina's shocks. There is an approximate 5 cm height increase at the nut attached to the chasis and hence the swing-arm had to be loosened to install them easily. Installed them and I think it doesn't affect the stance much and at the same time gives decent comfort. I shall take longer rides and report the performance. At a later stage planning to install the chrome shock cover from the old one. Yamaha RX Series Bikes : DIY Video Tutorials-inshot_20200612_130047242.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks