Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2019, 13:06   #1
BHPian

Bajaj Dominar 400 vs KTM 250 Duke

Hi I am planning to buy a new bike in 2 month. I want a liquid cooled , fuel injected naked bike with dual channel abs and atleast 250 cc. I am considering Duke 250 and Dominar 400. I have a daily running of 100 kms out of which 70 kms is in a four lane highway and 35 kms is in a medium traffic city. So fuel efficiency is also important.

Which of these bikes has better mileage when ridden at 70 to 90 kmph in highway. How are their fuel efficiency in city? Duke is about 23 kg lighter and has lower power than Dominar, so technically it should have better mileage. Is there is a considerable mileage difference between the two?

I have a height of 166 cm( 5 feet 5 inch). I took a short test drive of Duke 250 and found the seat height of 822 mm manageable. Will the seat height be a problem in traffic with pillon?

Is the duke 250 reliable? On road price for Dominar is 2.2 lakhs and Duke 250 is 2.32 lakhs.

Last edited by manson : 26th June 2019 at 14:56. Reason: Typos.
fireblade007 is offline   (3) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 26th June 2019, 14:48   #2
BHPian

re: Bajaj Dominar 400 vs KTM 250 Duke

Hi fireblade007,

The two bikes you have considered are good in my opinion. Bajaj bikes do return good mileage in daily use, although I am not aware of Dominar's fuel consumption. As per your post you are covering 70 kms on a highway, in this case the Dominar fits the bill. More power and a bit heavier when doing highway speeds is better. The side winds can make your ride a bit wobbly on a lighter bike on the highway.

Bajaj spare parts will be cheaper compared to KTM. The new Dominar has a more refined, smooth engine than the previous generation. The weight should not be a problem as it is something one can get used to as you ride more.
Do test ride it if you have not already done so. Ask for a longer test ride if possible.

Have not heard of any reliability issues with the Duke 250. Knowledgeable folks can shed more light on this.

Thanks,

aghate
aghate is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th June 2019, 15:00   #3
Senior - BHPian

The Dominar for sure is more VFM and suitable for your daily run. I have a 2017 Dominar done 26k and use it for my daily commute of total 56 kms. The fuel efficiency is a consistent 26-29 km/l and very reliable. The new 2019 Dominar has better suspension, higher power and worthy updates. Spares are also really cheap, and easy to maintain.
Maverick5490 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th June 2019, 15:09   #4
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireblade007 View Post
Hi I am planning to buy a new bike in 2 month. .
Ola fellow Quilonian,

Since we ride in similar conditions I'd personally suggest you to up your research and get something a bit more robust and feasible but then life is short and I don't have time to post the pros and cons as I trust you would do your part, so coming to the motorcycles you've listed, they're, more or less the same motorcycle with different specs.

Bajaj is better when it comes to spare availability and circulation, anyone whose tried to source KTM spares would be able to confirm, though if you're not into motorcycle maintenance then that won't be an issue as you'd most likely be depending on the SVC.

@All, Dont you guys think it's time we set up a generic thread for motorcycle buyers with info such as torque spread, gearing, highway speeds at peak torque etc, to improve everyone's understanding of how different motorbikes run.

Regards,
A.P.

Last edited by ashwinprakas : 26th June 2019 at 15:11.
ashwinprakas is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 26th June 2019, 15:54   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Which of these bikes has better mileage when ridden at 70 to 90 kmph in highway. ...
Owning Duke200 and riding it 80kms a day few times a week, I'll say that Dukes are a hoot for in-city conditions; 20-70kmph bursts. And on highways if you don't go beyond 85-90kmph on 250 the ride will be a pleasure. Any more the engine protests a lot whereas 90+ kmph will be sweet spot for Dominar.

Also, 1) out there on highway a heavier bike will help against the cross winds 2) Dominar will serve you well on long rides as well if you'd like to 3) FE depends a lot how you ride but all considered there shouldn't be much difference with Dominar taking in a bit more fuel.

Lastly, saddle up on both and have a longish test ride. Eventually it's whatever gives us the buzz.

cheers.
wangdu is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th June 2019, 17:27   #6
BHPian

Considering your height I'd go for the lighter of the 2 machines. It won't matter much while on the move but you will feel it in stop- start traffic conditions and will be worse with a pillion. Test both bikes..I believe the dominar is lower than the Duke. If you can flat foot on the dominar it should fit the bill. If your on tippy toes on both then go for the lighter bike.

High power engines ridden at sedate RPMS will be more efficient than low powered ones ridden at higher RPMS. It's a misconception that small cc bikes are automatically more efficient. The way you ride is more important. I guess the 250 should fit the bill with 30hp , it must perform well in most conditions.

Last edited by nitro.1000bhp : 26th June 2019 at 17:28.
nitro.1000bhp is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th June 2019, 10:04   #7
BHPian

Re: Bajaj Dominar 400 vs KTM 250 Duke

I bought my Dominar 400 in 2018, and have clocked around 25k. My daily office commute is around 50 kms on highly congested highway. From an overall ownership perspective. It is quite a reliable machine. Service is cheap, and spares are readily available. Bajaj service center treats Dominar owners with a lot of priority. I haven't driven Duke 250, but considering my experience with 390, 250 also must be good.

Important question you need to ask yourself is, which one feels more comfortable to ride for you. If you are not exactly looking out for long rides, Duke 250 is also equally good.

Dominar is better for long rides, because of the realxed engine behavior, and overall ergonomics. Besides the new 2019 model is even better than my bike, with twin exhaust, USD forks etc..
Nifty.Nishy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th June 2019, 10:36   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick5490 View Post
The Dominar for sure is more VFM and suitable for your daily run. I have a 2017 Dominar done 26k and use it for my daily commute of total 56 kms. The fuel efficiency is a consistent 26-29 km/l and very reliable. The new 2019 Dominar has better suspension, higher power and worthy updates. Spares are also really cheap, and easy to maintain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nifty.Nishy View Post
I bought my Dominar 400 in 2018, and have clocked around 25k. My daily office commute is around 50 kms on highly congested highway. From an overall ownership perspective. It is quite a reliable machine. Service is cheap, and spares are readily available. .......

Dominar is better for long rides, because of the realxed engine behavior, and overall ergonomics. Besides the new 2019 model is even better than my bike, with twin exhaust, USD forks etc..
Hi Maverick5490 and Nifty.Nishy,

I too am in the same boat as OP. Planning to buy a motorcycle that would be used to commute to office couple of times a week. Wanted to ask about the overall build quality and reliability of the Dominar since that seems to be most value for money for me.
If its not too much trouble, could you answer the following queries.

Could you mention the niggles/ issues that you came across during the entire period of ownership?
Specifically, how is the engine and gearbox? Do they remain smooth like new, or has it got better or worse?
Any rattles or vibrations during this period? if yes, were you able to fix it and how?
How is the heat from the engine during rides within the city?
Also, I am interested to know the running costs. Things such as Fuel efficiency, Oil change expense, Cost of changing tyres and drive chain. Is there any other consumable that needs to be changed often and if so how much?

Thanks
Raman

Last edited by khan_sultan : 27th June 2019 at 10:43. Reason: edited for better readability
Old 27th June 2019, 10:41   #9
BHPian

Both bikes are good for 100km/day running. Suggest to test ride them back to back before final decision.

KTM maintenance costs would be little higher than bajaj. Though it will be partly compensated by D250's better fuel efficiency. Duke 250 is more flick-able than Dominar. It is more communicative. I am not fan of Dominar looks.

If you could increase your budget a bit, CB300R or D390 will give you more exciting package. I ride my D390 everyday to office covering 65 kms (two way) with mix of city and highway speeds. It is fairly comfortable for long rides. Best part is the excitement which it brings to the table. All the best and ride safe.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 27th June 2019 at 10:44. Reason: edited for better readability
Old 27th June 2019, 11:36   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raman.aries View Post

Could you mention the niggles/ issues that you came across during the entire period of ownership?

how is the engine and gearbox?

Any rattles or vibrations during this period?

I personally didn't have any major issues or niggles. Just the usual wear of parts, which was sorted out by service guys in a jiffy. However, I would like to add, we were 4 friends who bought 4 dominars together. 2 of these bikes have had coolant leakage as a chronic issue for sometime. Hasn't been resolved entirely yet. I hope Bajaj has sorted that out in 2019. But then, no bike is completely niggle free. Bajaj service center has been more than eager in trying to recitfy.

The Engine's behaviour is more aligned towards touring, Overall power and torque is quite usable across the RPM range. Post 4000 rpm, you have a mild exhaust booming, that linearly increases as you rev. Gearbox is quite decent, there is jerk while engaging 1st gear, otherwise it's all fine. Before/During Bed-in it will be a bit rough, but then post 2nd service it will grow smoother. You can cruise all day at 120 kph, without any issues.

Rattles/Vibrations: As you might have come across from many reviews, there's a resonance Buzz at 4000 rpm. But it was reduced a lot in the 2018 model itself, and certainly not a deal breaker at all now.

In peak bumper to bumper traffic, you can feel the Engine heat. It is certainly existent, but nothing too bothering. As you mentioned about your usage, majority of your riding stretch is 4 lane highway, it shouldn't be a concern at all.

Fuel Economy figures:
While touring, mostly Highways: 33~34 kpl.
City Traffic : 28~29 kpl.

In the beginning of 2019, I did a ride of around 2700 kms in 7 days, touring across South India. This ride put our machines through some gruelling stretches including rough roads, and extended highway rides. The bike didn't have any issues at all, and was quite reliable.
(You could refer to the travelogue: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/trave...-brothers.html (South India Ride: 4 Dominars, 4 Brothers))
Nifty.Nishy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th June 2019, 13:21   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Hi I am planning to buy a new bike in 2 month. I want a liquid cooled , fuel injected naked bike with dual channel abs and atleast 250 cc. I am considering Duke 250 and Dominar 400. I have a daily running of 100 kms out of which 70 kms is in a four lane highway and 35 kms is in a medium traffic city. So fuel efficiency is also important.

Which of these bikes has better mileage when ridden at 70 to 90 kmph in highway. How are their fuel efficiency in city? Duke is about 23 kg lighter and has lower power than Dominar, so technically it should have better mileage. Is there is a considerable mileage difference between the two?

I have a height of 166 cm( 5 feet 5 inch). I took a short test drive of Duke 250 and found the seat height of 822 mm manageable. Will the seat height be a problem in traffic with pillon?

Is the duke 250 reliable? On road price for Dominar is 2.2 lakhs and Duke 250 is 2.32 lakhs.
I'd pick Dominar, even though I'm not a Bajaj fan at all. But - with new Dominar things have improved, for good. Dukes are decent, but they run hot (except 200) and it can really be a problem especially in traffic.

For these 2 bike - the fuel efficiency will not be a deciding factor since they're targeted for performance. And your needs, practicality etc will (and should) have a far more say.

In general, Bajaj needs frequent spare changes. If you do them timely, they run decent. Many Bajaj owners complain about low life, but that's because spares are not changed on time. Typical. And for Bajaj, spares availability is good.

On highway, Dominar would be a lot more relaxing without being boring. Go for it. Pick the Duke if you fancy it's character (hooligan).

Other Options
- CBR250 is a fantastic highway machine. But it's a bit old now so...
- I've test ridden the new Gixxer 150 and 250. They're good! Except that for my height (6 feet) my knee kept getting stuck at the tank. But for you, it should be good. Infact, ride the Gixxer 150 and if you're okay with power then you'd save a lot of money and will get fantastic FE. If not, Gixxer 250 is same with more power (and cheaper than all) and makes a very strong case.
- The Heros. The Xtreme 200R is quite good too. But personally I'd stay away because no fuel injection.
- TVS - Weird tire sizes. And Apache 200R has weird FI, ABS and Slipper Clutch combo. You cannot get all the 3 in 1 bike. Infact, FI + ABS is also not available, otherwise a very good bike.

Guess your best bet sounds like Gixxer 250! Goodluck.
Vibhanshu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2019, 16:08   #12
BHPian

Thanks everyone for your comments. I booked Dominar 400 in green today. Will get delivery in approximate 10 days. I found Dominar to be more comfortable while considering the seating posture and ride comfort. So decided to stop thinking about the mileage adavantage that duke 250 might have.
fireblade007 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 27th June 2019, 16:18   #13
BHPian

Quote:
I booked Dominar 400 in green today.
Congratulations! Green Dominar looks beautiful.

I happened to spot one standing next to me in a traffic signal, the exhaust note, sounds too sweet. So wanted to swap bikes

Wish you a lot of happy and memorable rides. Do share your travelogues.

Happy Riding
Old 27th June 2019, 18:07   #14
BHPian

Dear Mods,

This is my first post in Team-BHP so please excuse any mistakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raman.aries View Post
Hi Maverick5490 and Nifty.Nishy,

I too am in the same boat as OP. Planning to buy a motorcycle that would be used to commute to office couple of times a week. Wanted to ask about the overall build quality and reliability of the Dominar since that seems to be most value for money for me.
If its not too much trouble, could you answer the following queries.

Specifically, how is the engine and gearbox? Do they remain smooth like new, or has it got better or worse?
Any rattles or vibrations during this period? if yes, were you able to fix it and how?
Also, I am interested to know the running costs. Things such as Fuel efficiency, Oil change expense, Cost of changing tyres and drive chain. Is there any other consumable that needs to be changed often and if so how much?

Thanks
Raman
Hi Raman.aries & Fireblade007

I picked up a Bajaj Dominar on 28th May (have manged to ride it only for a couple of hundred kms till now so will not be able to provide you with a detailed analysis).

I used to ride a RE Classic 350 for the last 6 years and was looking for a lateral upgrade (same or slightly bigger engine specs with better features especially ABS and rear disc brakes).

I did not consider a KTM as rear-seat space / height was a issue for my better half (she calls the new-age bike seats where the pillion seat is way higher and smaller as "Vikram-Betaal Seats"

I want to thank BHPian Maverick1977 for introducing me to Sr BHPian Maverick5490 who helped me a lot during my bike selection phase.

As my height is 5 feet 6 inches i was also worried about the saddle height but i sat on Maverick5490's Dominar and realized i can get both my feet on the ground at an angle (not flat-footed though) and it has not been an issue even during taking sharp u-turns with a pillion.

The heat is absolutely manageable. In bumper-to-bumper traffic you just feel a waft of hot air rising, its never un-comfortable. The only niggle i am facing is the starter's un-willingness to crank at the first time (happened a couple of times).

I will share a detailed review asap.
ThePatientMan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th June 2019, 19:35   #15

Riding a second gen since March 2018 with 18k kms under the belt so far.
The bike consistently returns 30 to 31 kmpl upto 90kmph. 28 kmpl is the lowest I've seen, mostly in B2B riding. Cannot comment on the new gen's fuel consumption, but can certainly say that the power bump will make an already capable bike more enjoyable.
After riding my brother's new Duke 390 and my Dominar back to back, I found the latter one to be very forgiving in all departments viz. suspension, handling and power delivery. It (Dominar) no doubt takes more time to catch up with the duke, but reaches there anyway, and the ride is way more comfortable and suited for long distance highway cruising (have done Bengaluru to Pune and several other long rides). It can hold 110 - 120 kmph all day long with ease, and so can you due to the comfortable saddle
Paid service will set you back by 2.5k approx (Engine oil, filters, coolant top up and misc lubrication).
It's a good bike to own and ride.
unmesh is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks