Old 16th August 2019, 14:47   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Want to get back to riding after a 6-year break! Here are my options

Quote:
Originally Posted by msnarain View Post
So, here are my various options..
  1. Get the Street Twin
  2. Get the Leoncino and hope I don't regret not buying the Street Twin
  3. Get the CB300R, ride for a couple of years with little regret and then buy the Street Twin
  4. Get the Classic 350 because you think it's not really the white elephant it used to be even a few years back, And get teh ST in 2 years.
  5. Get the Interceptor hoping I will get used to the awkward footpegs, and get the ST in 2 years.

What would you do?
I am a big believer in progressively working your way up the motorcycle world. I wouldnt jump from a commuter motorcycle to a much bigger motorcycle given a 6 year motorcycling hiatus. The traffic in our big cities is crazy and the roads are often quite dangerous when you least expect it. Also do keep in mind, with family priorities, the type of riding that you do might reduce over time due to well, life.

So my suggestion is look at an intermediate / stepping stone A2 level bike for now which will help you get back to motorcycling with more than adequate power. Try the Royal Enfield GT650, its a lot more comfortable than what people expect it to be. The Honda 300 appears to be a very sensible choice. Whichever motorcycle you pick, you can take a year or two to get back fully into the motorcycling world. Then if you are ready, take the plunge and buy a second hand Street Twin. If you arent ready to upgrade to the Street Twin, you still have a good motorcycle in hand.

Personally, I would go for one of the 650 twins.
neil.jericho is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th August 2019, 18:16   #17
BHPian

re: Want to get back to riding after a 6-year break! Here are my options

Quote:
Originally Posted by msnarain View Post

More importantly, if you think I should just follow my heart and get the Street Twin, do you think the upgrade from a 160cc single cylinder to a 900cc twin is safe, considering my not so aggressive riding requirements and the fact that the Street Twin is generally considered an entry level motorbike in the west (easy to ride, handle etc)

Help a brother out please!
Well, I am a few years younger than you, but never really took a break from motorcycles. I still ride, while most of my friends have moved to cars.
Since you say, you have been away from motorcycles for 6 years now, I would suggest go for something that doesn't burn a hole in your pocked even if you find yourself not riding the bike after a couple of years and looking to sell it. No offence/ disrespect to your love for motorcycles meant here, but I have seen a lot of people buying a motorcycle which is just initially used on the weekends and then just stays in the parking later on for months at a stretch and is then sold off in a couple of years. (Olx is full of such "big" bikes)

First buy a bike that wont hurt you much financially, make sure you really want to have a motorcycle and are comfortable using it often and then may be a couple of years down the line, buy the "big" bike your heart is on.

Few bikes that I can suggest are the Dominar, Honda CB300, Jawa, and the Interceptor.
Apart from some niggles, Interceptor is a great bike and value for money.
Not at all intimidating for someone moving up from 150cc at the same time powerful enough to keep you engaged.(I own one myself)
I am 5'9 and foot pegs are not an issue anymore, you get used to them in some time.
Wont hurt your pocket much (compared to the Triumph) and would be a great stepping stone to upgrade in a couple of years. Also, will surely fetch you a good price in terms of resale.
And who knows, with lesser cost of ownership you may just decide to keep it.
ishan12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2019, 19:54   #18
BHPian

Re: Want to get back to riding after a 6 year break. Here are my options.

From what I could interpret, it seems you love the Street Twin and you want it real bad.
Only thing holding you back is Fear of the Unknown but believe me once you get to know the beast you will love every moment spent together. And more time you will invest in understanding it better would be your relationship with the machine. You are as ready as you can ever be.
At the end of the day it's your choice, but don't hold back just because you don't think you are not ready for it.
Old 16th August 2019, 20:24   #19
BANNED

Re: Want to get back to riding after a 6-year break! Here are my options

Being covetous of a pretty looking motorcycle and living with one on the roads are two different ballgames.
Take the sane advice and buy a midsize ( Indian context). The Dominar, Mojo, Gixxer 250 etc make sense given that you have been away from the game for a while. Riding a big, heavy bike in traffic can be tough.
If money is no issue then one doesn't need to pause a moment; buy the biggest and baddest!
Old 16th August 2019, 21:10   #20
BHPian

I have a Ducati scrambler and love it to bits. Makes me grin everytime I start her up. Do yourself a favour and get the bike that pulls at your heart strings aka the Street Twin. If you are moving beyond the mundane world of commuter Motorcycles, you owe it to yourself to give your heart a chance to skip a beat every single time you take it out!
redeff is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2019, 21:23   #21
BHPian

I returned to biking after a gap of nearly 12 years. I was 36 then.
First bike was a used CL500. Which was really easy to ride. No issues at all yes I got the battery replaced but that was just it. It was super reliable and comfortable and most importantly my wife and son loved it too.

Sold it for nil depreciation and got myself an interceptor. Lovely machine. Smooth and comfy. But wife hates the awkward seating and high rear footpeg position.

Interceptor isn't comfy for pillion in my experience.

The front pegs gave me no problems yet in 9 months of use.

Pls do take a TD along with your partner so that you guys can't take the best decision.

Last edited by sureshkishore : 16th August 2019 at 21:24. Reason: Typo
Old 16th August 2019, 21:54   #22
BHPian

Going to go a little off-base here, but judging by your post, you wish to have a bike that is easy going, well specced and most importantly, safe. You're looking at cruiser bikes, so I am assuming you'll be using it within the city as well as for highway trips. I would recommend the ninja 1000 as it is excellent value for money. It looks gorgeous, seating position is great, and has provisions for attaching carriers, and looks GORGEOUS. My only complaint about the street twin is that at that price, the specs aren't great. While you might be riding responsibly, you might be bitten by the high speed bug on an empty stretch of highway, and you should never be left wanting then. The Ninja 1000 is a stripped down version of the ZX 10, a bike specifically for those intimidated by a full blown super sports bike(unless you're rossi), but is still nonetheless, a 1000cc bike, so you can't throttle whimsically, unless you want to wheelie. You also never know when you might be wishing to go for track days, so it's better to consider bikes that fit both track and cruise criteria, Duke 390 maybe. Good luck figuring it out.
Old 16th August 2019, 22:59   #23
BHPian

Have you TDd the HD Street 750?
It's a good bike at a good price point and I feel that it's highly underrated. It's engine, fuel economy, etc is very good and doesn't require Arnold Schwarzenegger to back it out from a tight spot.
Old 16th August 2019, 23:05   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrk997 View Post
The Ninja 1000 is a stripped down version of the ZX 10, a bike specifically for those intimidated by a full blown super sports bike(unless you're rossi), but is still nonetheless, a 1000cc bike, so you can't throttle whimsically, unless you want to wheelie. You also never know when you might be wishing to go for track days, so it's better to consider bikes that fit both track and cruise criteria, Duke 390 maybe. Good luck figuring it out.
Ninja 1000 is a proper liter class bike .... Definitely not for someone jumping into biking after 6 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfresco View Post
Have you TDd the HD Street 750?
It's a good bike at a good price point and I feel that it's highly underrated. It's engine, fuel economy, etc is very good and doesn't require Arnold Schwarzenegger to back it out from a tight spot.
HD750 is highly overpriced for what it offers. And Interceptor has clearly shown that.
ethanhunt123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2019, 23:57   #25

It's forums like these that make my day. I'm stressed by the(kind of)same decision dilemmas here. Been riding the same bike for years. But, if you want to graduate from a Cl350, where do you go ? Okay, I know there are numerous options but there are customers like me who like the retro look but don't have the cash to buy a harley. Been surfing on the net too much lately and realised, the Vulcan is a really awesome bike. There are reviews out there which compare it to litre class bikes and it completely decimated them. I don't know if I'm missing something but why do we not talk more about the Vulcan/Vulcan S.?
Old 17th August 2019, 01:35   #26
Senior - BHPian

Want to get back to riding after a 6-year break! Here are my options

Okay then. I am slightly against the tide here - I suggest that you get an interceptor 650. This coming from a new Bonnie Street Twin rider. Read on..😊

Why? It offers 'almost' the experience Bonnie Street Twin offers at 1/3rd the price. The equation is unbeatable. Yes, the difference in quality is H.U.G.E if you look through close quarters, but the overall experience is comparable..

BTW, I was in asimilar boat as you are right now. Sat on Interceptor booking for many months, and the. Got cracker of a deal on brand new '0' km run 2017 ST from a Triumph dealer. I got it for about 6 lacs OTR. So, once the equation changed to 6 lac Bonnie v/s 4 lac Interceptor (with accessories etc.), it was an easy decision to make. But, I will not have paid 9+ lacs for the Twin.

If money is no object - get the Twin. Your heart is clearly set on it. And it's much better bike overall if you are highly quality conscious. As for your two doubts now. No, I don't think 900cc bike will intimidate you. And no, I don't think having a slightly non ergonomic seat etc. on the Interveptor should be a deal breaker for you either. You wife will accept and finally live with it.

Best of luck!!

Last edited by Abhi_Automobile : 17th August 2019 at 01:40.
Abhi_Automobile is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th August 2019, 08:45   #27
BHPian

You can also consider Bajaj Dominar. Take a test ride of the updated dominar. I think it is a good bike based on your requirements.
Gildarts is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2019, 10:02   #28
BHPian

I would like to add a little more to the Dominar story, being a current owner. I think it would be a perfect transition for you to enter into motorcycling again. It come with dual channel ABS, has slipper clutch, so I think safety wise it is already doing very good. In Team-BHp itself there are so many travelogues about Dominar, each one adding on to the fact, how good it is as a touring/weekend bike. Service is pretty much sorted, and it doesn't really scare you like a 390 per say. I think you should take a test drive of Dominar too.

It is always the heart vs mind, and in case of Dominar it was the mind that took the call, heart was with Himalayan. And till date, I have no regrets about it considering the peace of mind I get when I have to live with it everyday, or the impromptu rides that just appears out of grey shelf of the brain. Just adding my two cents!
Old 17th August 2019, 12:49   #29
r.K
BHPian

Hi. If you are good financially, please go ahead with the STwin. You won't feel like upgrading anytime soon once you get comfortable withthe ride.

It's not like you are new to motorcycles. From the test drives you know how the STwin handles. If you are not overwhelmed by the ride, you would be able to manage it. As another member mentioned, rent it for a few days (wicked ride,etc). You would know for sure then. Do keep us posted.
Old 17th August 2019, 20:37   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayant1988 View Post
There are reviews out there which compare it to litre class bikes and it completely decimated them.
Really ? would love to know which litre class bike did Vulcan decimate

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks