Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2019, 20:56   #31
BHPian

Re: Want to get back to riding after a 6-year break! Here are my options

A predicament that I have gone through, albeit under different circumstances. Got myself a pre-owned ST and then since I couldn't manage to ride it often, sold it in under six months time. But it is THE bike if you want to keep it.

Like a few suggested, I would urge you to rent one for about a week, see if it meets your specific requirements (not generic) and then buy pre-owned. The depreciation that hit me was certainly no where close if I had got it anew, hence I don't regret my decision. The ST was better off with somebody who would utilize it's potential to the fullest. All the best and keep us informed bro there is an aweome feeling when some one gets their ride in this community!!!
Champion is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2019, 21:16   #32
Senior - BHPian

From 1 biker to another, get the Street Twin.
You like how it rides, you are happy with the ergonomics and your wife approves.
I cannot think of a single reason not to suggest the Street Twin to you.

It is a great bike. Has a multiple personality. Straights, twisties, two up, it will do it all.

As far as your apprehension of moving from 160 to 900 cc is concerned. A few city rides and a couple of highway runs is all it takes to be one with the bike.
As long as your wrist is in check and the head is steady, everything falls in place.

If its helpful, I moved from a 99 cc to a 1299 cc and the only disappointment I have today is that I should have moved sooner than I did.

Last edited by bigron : 17th August 2019 at 21:18.
bigron is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th August 2019, 21:44   #33
Senior - BHPian

Honestly, to me the Leoncino (which I confess I hadn't heard of till you mentioned it) is looking rather compelling for a few reasons:

The Enfield twin is really nice but besides the niggles the fact remains that it (like the Bonnies) really doesn't visually stand out all that much from the crowd of Bullets and other "retro" bikes out there. The newly intro'd RE Twins and Jawas notwithstanding, these trends always seem to go in cycles - long cycles - and I predict that eventually the market appeal for all the retro stuff is going to start to wane in favor of these sort of retro-modern honest, naked blends with the best of both worlds so to speak. H-D is suffering in its home market and others probably for this reason - millennials are probably losing interest in retro-products that are too closely associated with a particular class (and attitude) of rider.

Not plasticky faired sport-bikes, not grandpa's runaround, something in-between and probably better as a one-bike solution, because it's not being forced as tightly into some kind of specific genre, allowing for some more creativity in both mechanical and aesthetic design (for example, a monoshock just would never have done for a RE twin, nor a two-into-one header, even if both would've worked better... and by the same token, a crotch-rocket just cannot possibly be given a comfortable pillion seat or low enough rear footpegs, which would be anathema!). In contrast, with this sort of bike, a maker can do what he wants, do what actually makes sense in the creation of a fun, practical, good-looking bike. Break the molds, I say.

The Dominar seems to be a great bike and a good value and the dealer network is just everywhere, but it remains a single cylinder, which for me just makes it automatically less appealing in terms of sheer riding pleasure. I've never owned a twin, but those I've ridden were far more satisfying for their flexibility, smoothness, and sound, than any single.

Moreover 500cc is just right for an all-rounder. Not too heavy, not underpowered, not overpowered. Not too big to commute on, not too small to scare you on motorways. Just right, and about the same power as the RE's.

Price is a good bit less than the Bonnie, a bit more than the RE, also placing it in a good middle-ground it seems. I suppose its Italian bloodlines are what make it reminiscent to me of the Ducati Scrambler, a bike I've ridden and likewise find compelling in its own way - but then, that's a LOT more money, dealers are very few, and I didn't honestly find the engine that smooth or great-sounding as I'd expected (having ridden the old 916-powered Sports Tourer way back).

Maintenance and durability questions aside, and just looking at its form and basic "vibe", sizing, and versatility, this Leoncino looks like a great option, and I'm very pleased to see something like this coming into the Indian milieu. As someone less inclined to follow the crowd and drawn towards the more exclusive and interesting, the bike checks that box too. That's not everyone, but personally in my case weighs in its favor.

-Eric

Last edited by ringoism : 17th August 2019 at 22:12.
ringoism is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th August 2019, 21:50   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
Really ? would love to know which litre class bike did Vulcan decimate

Check out the links, maybe you'd like 'em
Jayant1988 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2019, 22:12   #35
BHPian

I got back to biking after 15 years, at 42. The last bike I owned was a Suzuki Samurai. Come 2014 and I picked up a first generation Duke 390. The Duke met all my buying criterion, viz. 250cc plus, with ABS and a underbelly exhaust so I would not have to worry about my 11yr old frying his leg when he rode with me. The 44bhp it put out was never a buying factor, nor a problem to handle. A month ago I sold the Duke and purchased a Interceptor 650. I now wanted something a bit more easygoing to ride than the Duke and my son is now taller than me, so can manage his legs when he does agree to ride with me.
So, do get the Street Twin since it seems to meet most of your buying criterion. Handling it's 60 odd bhp should not be a problem as long as you keep your head while riding.
ashenoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2019, 22:21   #36
Senior - BHPian

(mod, wrote this as an afterthought but being over 30mins. couldn't add to previous post)

Finally, as a counterpoint to all those recommending the ST, my cousin in the U.S., after having gone through many bikes, finally bought a Bonnie when they were re-introduced over a decade ago, and felt it was the culmination of all he'd ever desired in a bike. He lightly modded it, loved it, polished it, and I rode it, and it indeed was satisfying from every angle (except the rust pitting beginning on the rims and rubber crumbling after two years on this garage-queen). Only trouble is that it was so fine, so pristine, so "perfect" and shiny that he really feared using it in a way he really wanted to use a bike - the gravel roads, the parking lots, the realities of a daily-use / weekend plaything. His wife finally asked what use it was keeping a nice bike parked in a shed for months on end, and he got rid of it in favor of something he didn't mind thrashing a bit - in his case, a rough-and-ready dual-sport (DR350). Somehow I feel the Leoncino could handle a little more rough use, a few scratches without heartbreak - it just seems more in its nature IMO. But to each his own.

-Eric

Last edited by ringoism : 17th August 2019 at 22:22.
ringoism is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2019, 11:47   #37
BHPian

So like you said;
1. You don't want to race
2. You don't want another kid
3. You don't want to regret the decision if the bike betrays you

Might I suggest, Kawasaki Vulcan S? To me this is the only one which seems to be fitting your needs. It doesn't race; point one check. And the 650cc heart wouldn't leave anything more desired. A Kawasaki, so I don't think you'd have to take care of it like a kid; point 2 check. And lastly, I don't think you'd regret because neither did I during my 3 years with it.
Old 19th August 2019, 08:36   #38

After reading this post it is good to know there are a few out there going through similar phase as I(mid life bike crisis and associated browsing of the web, every news related to release of a bike has to be read and researched, test ride etc)

A test ride generally seals the deal for most. However with higher capacity bikes there is a catch with respect to heat dissipation.

I took my 2nd test ride of the Street Twin in Delhi in the month of May and fortunately hit traffic immediately after 200m. Was in and out of traffic for 3 km till I returned to the show room.

Now normally this would be a great experience like the first time I rode a Street Twin in Pune. For the Delhi Test ride, I had taken my wife along whose consent would tip the scales to a buy.

While the ride and handling was great as before this time I started to really feel the heat from the engine in traffic. The Catch, the bike has been ridden before me. The same was not the case in my Pune test ride. Also the test ride in Pune was in the monsoons and the climate is relatively cool.

Don't get me wrong, in Delhi I also test rode the Bobber which felt like a grill between my legs, heck my palms too felt the heat on the handle bar in traffic. But considering its going to be mostly warmer in today's world, I suggest to test ride the street twin in the worst case scenario in Summer heat. Go with a friend who will ride it earlier and warm up the engine for you. If you buy one after that, at least you know what to be prepared for.

P.S. my search continues so does the mid life crisis I guess.
Old 19th August 2019, 09:14   #39
BHPian

Hi,

A used Street Twin will work for you. As your mind is already set on particular bike. You can avoid substantial depreciation by buying a second hand one.

There is one more option, BMW G310 R. Bike is well made and suited for your style of riding. It will be much cheaper to buy and easier to handle in traffic. Do check the service availability nearby, before making the final decision. All the best ans Ride safe.

Last edited by ampere : 19th August 2019 at 09:29.
Old 19th August 2019, 13:15   #40
BHPian

I would suggest you get something in the middle weight category. The ST with its linear power and familiar looks could be deceiving and for someone coming from a 150cc after a 6 year break, it will be intimidating. I currently ride a D390 and although the itch to buy something bigger creeps up once a while , good sense prevails and I keep resisting. I feel the 390 is a lot of bike for the kind is road conditions at present. I too live in Chennai and it isn't what it used to be.

I suggest you get a used middle weight bike with abs like dominar or tnt300 , ride around for a year or 2 , familiarise yourself with the ways of current road conditions and the nuances of riding and then make a call whether to upgrade to a high capacity bike.

I know You have already dismissed bikes like the 390, but hear me out please..yes it's quick to 100kph and accelerates like a greyhound chasing a cat due to its lightweight but that is the same reason it is highly maneuverable and will save a few broken bones or worse when that idiot tries to make a sudden turn without indicating or stops without working tail lights or crosses the road without looking. Flickability is now a necessity in my opinion.

Last edited by nitro.1000bhp : 19th August 2019 at 13:26.
nitro.1000bhp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2019, 13:29   #41
Senior - BHPian

I think you should try the Thunderbird X. Its a RE but, a slightly modern one.

The riding position is great I feel.
Old 19th August 2019, 13:59   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

I have started loving the Leoncino myself too, and i will contemplate it as my second bike after a year or so. I do not want to buy a new bike, so i will wait for pre owned to show up. With highway duties taken care of by Ninja 650, leoncino would be my perfect city bike and i can even take it to highways when i want.

Ninja 650 attracts too much attention with that lovely lime green shade, and everyone wants a picture, hate to leave it in public parking. Leoncino should not attract that much attention, and even if it does, so be it.

The power might not be too much when compared to ST, but i am guessing it should easily be able to do 120-130 in around 5-6K rpm, which honestly is more then enough for our roads. Plus if you buy it now, you get that exclusivity too.
Old 19th August 2019, 14:40   #43
BHPian

wonderful predicament, welcome back to riding!

I am writing this out of personal experience. I had taken a brief hiatus from riding after having ridden for 10-15 years. Last ride was Enfield Electra 350.

Chose Triumph as my comeback ride. Went to buy Street Twin, came back with a T100. 3 amazing years of ownership (bought on 2016 April) till date! amazing service quality (albeit a bit pricey at times), tonnes of aftermarket mods to keep one busy, stock machine is built to last a lifetime under the right maintenance, enough power when needed and a huge grin everytime i see the machine.

There is nothing like a gradual upgrade, as long as you dont get tempted to unleash its full power on a normal urban setting. That would be disastrous for lower cc model as well given the conditions of our roads and traffic.

Word of advice - look for a pre worshipped model, should be relatively easy! even the showroom guys might hook you up with one cos half of the time sellers are looking to upgrade! Even under the remote possibility of the ride not meeting your expectation, you can always sell it and cut your losses!

Do get the right riding gear (costly and irrelevant temptations aside) and ride safe!
rohan.xj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2019, 16:39   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msnarain View Post
Help a brother out please!
I too would be 34 later this year was suffering from the same crisis late last year. A bit of a long post , but it would help explain how I found my solution(s).
After owning my 2007 thunderbird for 13 years now I was feeling the itch for something more.
This was my bike.
Want to get back to riding after a 6-year break! Here are my options-fb_img_1549017957162.jpg
Off late the long rides had dried up.Though it had run for less than 50k kms and as you can see it was in pretty good shape.But some how with the modern bikes I felt it was just losing its shine in terms of overall performance.
So I started looking out for a good replacement and was ready to go bigger.
Like everyone else it starts with the Ninja 650 but then it somehow it dint feel that special.That too for around 7 lakhs.
Then in the pursuit of the extra oomph I tried stretching my limits, it made me think of the the Monster 821 and the Street triple.And while I am getting at it why not consider the entry level 4 Cylinder. The Honda 650f. This is around August last year and by now I am full time going through youtube for reviews etc. Each machine was special in its sense but which made the choice even more difficult.
Just then similar to how the Gartner Hype cycle works after hitting the ' Peak of Inflated Expectations' I realised I was getting too carried away. And there comes the 'Trough of disillusionment' I needed something which along with being a good highway steed can be a able city performer. What about the Street twin, now that is a jack of all trades. That should be it I thought!.
I think right about then came the news of RE twins Launch date in India and also the reviews started pouring in from the US launch. It seemed really that RE came up with well rounded product.
That was it, booked the Chrome GT soon in Nov and took the test ride as soon as it was available.Waiting time for the Chrome was never ending and in the meantime found a suitable deal for my thunderbird. Sold it.
Around Jan end again checked with the dealer on the status, chrome was nowhere is sight. They said Black interceptor is available immediately and I said yes.It also saved me around 50 k which i used wisely,more on that later.
No need to say anymore about the bike as enough is already said on how good it is.
Want to get back to riding after a 6-year break! Here are my options-img_20190210_160229__01__01.jpg
The few niggles I have had so far have been managed decently by RE service. On the point msnarian which you mention regarding the foot peg position, I would say hardly matters after the first couple of weeks.
Also the big question on the Int 650 vs street twin. I mean yes the Street twin is better than the RE, Lets say by 30%.But then the RE also costs 30 % of what the street twin does (well Almost).
So yes, you actually cant go much wrong with the Re twins.
The only downside of going north of 200 kgs on any of these bigger bikes is that they are not very convenient for lazy people like me when it comes to the milk and bread runs.Specially when it comes to parking and getting out of tight spots. Not that my old Thunderbird was light in any sense, but I knew how to wiggle it out through tight traffic and spots like the back of my hand.
I started to envy guys on their RXs in such situations and kept wondering what if i too had a pocket rocket to compliment the Int 650.By now I am entering into a familiar territory now, a question I have always had an answer for. But dint know where to find it.. It was the Boss! The Shogun. I was afraid that this time too my search would end after seaching few classifieds, checking out a few shady bikes which would turn out to be samurai converts.But this time I did something different I joined a FB group where I found a friend from one of my earlier jobs had posted his Shogun.
Want to get back to riding after a 6-year break! Here are my options-fb_img_1565070016615.jpg
Turned out he was cleaning up his garage and had to let go few bikes out of his collection. We agreed on logical price and now I am a proud owner.
Want to get back to riding after a 6-year break! Here are my options-2.jpg
You may say I have pretty modest needs but this is what for me is a perfect 2 wheeler garage.

Last edited by Hemicuda : 19th August 2019 at 16:50. Reason: Typo
Hemicuda is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th August 2019, 01:24   #45
BHPian

If you could find a good used Bonnie which did 5-7.5K km, then I would recommend you go that way. Even I'm looking for a used Bonnie now, I will also have to go the hard way of buying an ST/T100 for nearly 1 million if I can't get a good used one.

I won't think about another bike because Bonnie is the classic I wanted for a long time and especially after selling my RD 350 in 2016. Bonnie lineup is going to get updated BS6 engines by Dec mostly, so I will wait till then before taking any decisions.

Bonnie is a reliable and fun to ride motor bike, but they are hard to maintain from financial point of view. I would say you stick with your heart to avoid regret later But also check on used bikes, and check if you can get some deals on old models or test ride vehicles.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks