Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Most Iconic 2 wheeler in India, Ever!
RD350/Rajdoot 125 26.21%
RX100 199 41.72%
HH CBZ (1st Gen) 31 6.50%
HH Karizma (1st Gen) 40 8.39%
Other - Kindly Mention below. 82 17.19%
Voters: 477. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2020, 20:25   #1
BHPian

The most iconic 2-wheeler ever sold in India

Hi Team, the intention of this thread is to conclude few of the most Iconic 2 wheelers in India. The one’s available now and earlier.
It can be any kind of 2-wheeler, motorcycle, scooter, moped, 2-stroke, 4-stroke, anything.

Need a crisp reason/description as to why do you think that its an Iconic 2-wheeler. Something like below.

The first and the probably the first name that would come to your mind when thinking about the iconic motorcycles.

The most iconic 2-wheeler ever sold in India-rd350.jpg
RD-350

Yamaha RD-350, urff RAJDOOT
From the yester-years, the RD 350 is the most Iconic motorcycles every. The 2-stroke twin exhaust rocket, which left smoke streaks on the road just like the rocket does in the sky. It was the most iconic bike in the 80's, but not very successful due to its cost and expensive spares. Also, it was not what we would call, fuel-efficient by any means.
A well maintained RD350 will still manage to skip-a-beat of any motorcycle enthusiast

The most iconic 2-wheeler ever sold in India-rx100.jpg
RX100

Yamaha RX100
Most of the ones who were teens in the 90's have a love affair with this bike. Back then it was a teenager’s wet dream. This bike was kind of comeback from Yamaha after the RD350. The smooth 2-stroke mod friendly motor still sounds sweet when a RX100 passes by.
Many of us still let one overtake so that we can follow and listen to the symphony of that 2-stroke engine.

The most iconic 2-wheeler ever sold in India-kh6.jpg
Kinetic Honda

Kinetic Honda
This was the first one (at least what I am aware of) a homely automatic scooter. Favorite of the his and hers, easy to ride and no hassle of the gear. Generally, the first of the 2 wheelers on which the boys and girls got their hands on. The one and only ruler till TVS joined in with the Scooty and Bajaj with its Sunny.
Post that its again a Honda with its Activa all over again till date.

The most iconic 2-wheeler ever sold in India-cbz.jpg
The CBZ

Hero Honda CBZ - The original
This was one iconic bike in the market when it was launched. One which melted the hearts of the millennials like the RD 350 did for the 70's and 80's teens. A few well-maintained samples still manage to make you fall in love with the bike all over again.

The most iconic 2-wheeler ever sold in India-splendor.jpg
Hero Honda Splendor

HH Splendor
The only reason this motorcycle is iconic is, this bike has been the face of Indian Commuter bike since the time it was introduced. The Bajaj Boxer and the CT100 have come close but none has ever been able to beat the Splendor.

So, above is the list of my choice about the most iconic motorcycles in India.

Please be generous with your opinions and descriptions.

Image Credits : Google Images
iamahunter is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 19th February 2020, 07:16   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: The most iconic 2-wheeler ever sold in India

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
Aditya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th February 2020, 07:43   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: The most iconic 2-wheeler ever sold in India

For its incredible sound & insane acceleration that was W-A-Y ahead of its time, I say it's the Yamaha RD350. Anyone who has ridden an RD350 (or even heard one high-revving) will agree. I regret buying an RX100 as my first & only motorcycle when I was 18 years old. But then, if I'd bought an RD350 instead, I probably wouldn't be alive today (too fast & brakes / handling that didn't keep up).

This was a mad, mad bike:
GTO is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 19th February 2020, 08:07   #4
Senior - BHPian

Bajaj Chetak - 4 gears

Bajaj Super - 3 gears

Hero Majestic - Gearless revolution

Luna - Gearless revolution

Bajaj Scooty - Gearless revolution in Plastic body

TVS Suzuki Shogun - Enthusiast's bike (from what I have heard from bikers)

Regards-SS

Last edited by vb-saan : 20th February 2020 at 14:05. Reason: Typo corrected
ariesonu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th February 2020, 13:18   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
For its incredible sound & insane acceleration that was W-A-Y ahead of its time, I say it's the Yamaha RD350. Anyone who has ridden an RD350 (or even heard one high-revving) will agree. I regret buying an RX100 as my first & only motorcycle when I was 18 years old. But then, if I'd bought an RD350 instead, I probably wouldn't be alive today (too fast & brakes / handling that didn't keep up).

This was a mad, mad bike:
https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=L4r6v9EwdOk
Agreed GTO, it is still maniac bike.

One of my school friend's father has one in the original blue color and he has maintained it immaculately.
Till date my friend has never been allowed to even touch it, forget riding it.

The Old bloke still rides it everyday in the locality, the bike still turns heads of the young ones as well.
iamahunter is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 19th February 2020, 13:25   #6
Senior - BHPian

Launching India into the modern era, I feel like whether you love it or you hate it, the KTM Duke 125-390 series of single cylinder, lightweight, racy, loud and edgily styled motorbikes, HAS to be a part of this list. Good for the economy with their local production, excellent for those seeking performance and iconic for adding some color to the boring sea of commuter two-wheelers in the country's streets.
IshaanIan is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 19th February 2020, 13:27   #7
Senior - BHPian

So, I believe the most iconic 2 wheeler ever sold in India is the Hero Honda Karizma!

This bike gave India the path to superbikes and higher displacement bikes in India. The market was not existing in the time it was launched and at that time spending over 75K on a bike was a huge sum of money. 17 BHP and around 19 NM Torque (IIRC), was a rage in early 2000!

Karizma had the timeless design, still looks fresh, a refined evergreen smooth engine along with a balance of comfort and sportiness.

A pic of my Karizma -

The most iconic 2-wheeler ever sold in India-dsc-16.jpg
bluevolt is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 19th February 2020, 15:46   #8
BHPian

Why no RE 350/500 ? If you look at the bikes mentioned above they are long gone but the REs were there before them and are still soldiering on ,albeit in different avatars but didn't stray far from their roots (can be perceived as a positive or a negative). In my opinion that's an icon.
deepfreak15 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 19th February 2020, 16:09   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepfreak15 View Post
Why no RE 350/500 ? If you look at the bikes mentioned above they are long gone but the REs were there before them and are still soldiering on ,albeit in different avatars but didn't stray far from their roots (can be perceived as a positive or a negative). In my opinion that's an icon.
I am surprised as well, RE wasn't mentioned.

Bullets were the choice for the defense, Police and the macho man. Not to forget, the motorcycle by choice for highway trips and the Himalaya's.
At one time, it was the biggest engined bike one could buy in India. (535 Lightening)

Till the Japs came along, it was the Yezdi's and Enfields that ruled the roads.

Last edited by tharian : 19th February 2020 at 16:12.
tharian is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th February 2020, 16:39   #10
BHPian

All the candidates in the poll are worthy in their own way and I am unable to consider just a single one. I also think the first fully faired, liquid cooled, best handling motorcycle of its time should get a mention here. When launched, the Yamaha R15 created a segment for the mass market, which otherwise appeared as posters in the rooms of enthusiasts and teenagers alike or wallpapers in their computers.
Prakritij is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th February 2020, 16:43   #11
BHPian

The 'NO problem' Suzuki Samurai!
I've had the pleasure of owning the Samurai, Shaolin and the Shogun
ds.raikkonen is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th February 2020, 17:17   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I concur with this. Apart from RD350, there is no other bike in India which is as tall an icon as the Cast-Iron Royal Enfield, in my eyes. During yesteryears, Bullet was THE bike to have and the majestic stance and the deep bassy beats were indeed envy-inducing.

I still vividly remember my first ride astride an Enfield and it was love at first ride - which I reciprocated with multiple bullets adorned my garage.

The CI Bullet is so much of an icon that the new age single-cylinder imposters from RE stable (UCE and the lot) still sell solely based on the legacy and emotion the name Bullet evokes.

--Anoop
theexperthand is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th February 2020, 18:36   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Why no RE 350/500 ?
+1.

'Bullet' is the most iconic Indian motorcycle for me as well. That said, as much as I admire the machine - I wouldn't buy one.

Voted for 'Others'.

The most iconic 2-wheeler ever sold in India-images.jpeg
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 19th February 2020, 18:38   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

What about the Bajaj Chetak and its cousin the Super and its mother the Vespa. India rode on them for a generation and more.
V.Narayan is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 19th February 2020, 20:28   #15
Senior - BHPian

Thread exists already - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...cle-india.html (Which is the most iconic 2-stroke motorcycle of India?)
aargee is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks