Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2020, 16:41   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Why are there more car websites than that for motorcycles in India?

2-wheelers outsell 4-wheelers by SIX to EIGHT times. And if we go by the sales numbers of enthusiast bikes - be it the cheap ones or the expensive ones - there are clearly lakhs of motorcycle enthusiasts in India.

Then, why is there a dearth of 2-wheeler websites? Sure, we have this very vibrant forum section on Team-BHP and there is XBHP, but hardly anything else. It's the same with print or TV shows where the focus is 90% on cars and just 10% or less on bikes.

So, I have been genuinely thinking about this = Why so?
GTO is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 24th July 2020, 17:36   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Why are there more car websites than that for motorcycles in India?

Two reason I can think off...
1. Highest two-wheeler market doesn't need any further push, it's the cars that needs to be pushed
2. Very rare to see an uneducated person owning a car, but have come across many of those owning a two-wheeler due to affordability; means, people who buy a car go for in-depth analysis for which media is required

BTW, Gearheads, Motoroids & BCMT have motorcycle discussion forum

Last edited by SDP : 24th July 2020 at 23:03. Reason: Softened the wording
aargee is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 24th July 2020, 17:42   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
2-wheelers outsell 4-wheelers by SIX to EIGHT times. And if we go by the sales numbers of enthusiast bikes - be it the cheap ones or the expensive ones - there are clearly lakhs of motorcycle enthusiasts in India.

Then, why is there a dearth of 2-wheeler websites? Sure, we have this very vibrant forum section on Team-BHP and there is XBHP, but hardly anything else. It's the same with print or TV shows where the focus is 90% on cars and just 10% or less on bikes.

2 reasons I can think of:

1) Lack of sponsorship for the same. Websites need ad money to survive or grow. This is lacking for 2-wheeler segment (on its own).

2) The large number of sales that you see are not actually influenced by reviews, experiences or any other content online. Its mainly driven by either affordability factor or word of mouth. Majority of the sales are to fulfill the need to have a 2-wheeler - to get the work done. The 'desirability' factor for cars is higher in precedence. The portals you have listed are mainly driven/contributed by enthusiasts and those are less in number when compared to the actual sales number for scooters/bikes. That is not necessarily the case with cars. Hence the readership is also lower when compared to cars.

And the same argument will apply to other vehicles as well - say commercial vehicles. We don't see many forums for those despite have a large number of those on our roads and also India being a good manufacturing base for the same.

Last edited by sunilch : 24th July 2020 at 17:45.
sunilch is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 24th July 2020, 17:44   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
BTW, Gearheads, Motoroids & BCMT have motorcycle discussion forum
You validate my point. The 2-wheeler sections in these 3 websites are all dead.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th July 2020, 17:53   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

I guess because out of the roughly 15 Lakh two wheelers sold in India monthly, 60-70% come from 3-4 models (Splendor, Activa and couple of its cousins), out of the remaining also they are mostly clones of each other with very little differentiation between them. So I guess there is nothing much to debate and discuss with respect to features, reliability and service and price.

Only area that warrants discussion is the mid to high end segment for which smaller sub forums are sufficient and even within this, at these levels, most folks rely on peer group updates leaving only a small scope for open discussions
Rajeevraj is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 24th July 2020, 17:55   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Open letter from Riders

For two-wheelers, motorbikes and scooters alike everything is wrong in this country.

We start learning to ride it the wrong way as if it's a by-cycle with a motor. We learn to apply the wrong (rear) brakes first!
Motorcyclists are folks who can't afford cars is the broader image. Then comes the contrary, "Itne mein toh car aa jati!" When someone buys an expensive bike, he's always ridiculed that in this money he could get a car!
Same with riders who wear full protective gears are treated as street racers or stunt men!

Motorcycles are seen as fast machines which most of the people don't understand or able to control simply shun them. Motorcyclists are seen in the same light.

Buying a car on the other side is a social milestone in this country!

The same prejudice continues in Media. There are very few forums for bikes where the topic is addressed holistically and not simply my bike is the best or my opinion is the best.

TeamBHP is one such forum where we share our experiences, we learn and share! In addition, we are a flag bearer of riding gears and helmets.

GTO, this league or tribe of motorcyclists is very distinguished and small in numbers. You know the business inside out, "Jo bikta hai wohi dikhta hai!" Car content sells hence it's abundant!
Majority of two-wheeler sales are not driven by these media or publication houses.

In addition, I would like to highlight the popularity of YouTube in recent times. Media bikes and events are arranged for prominent content creators these days.

Cheers,
surjaonwheelz
surjaonwheelz is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 24th July 2020, 18:02   #7
Team-BHP Support

Adding another relevant observation - Two wheelers are more popular in the unorganised (for lack of a better term?) space.

Countless number of Bloggers, Youtuber Vloggers, instagrammers, etc have made their career in the two wheeler reporting space. In comparison - there are only one or two such 'celebrities' that I can see in the car space.

This high level of participation doesn't evolve beyond social media discussions though - Few reasons I could think of -

1. Younger audience.
2. Less attention span.
3. More content on social media.
4. Used to not so mature nature of discussions.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 24th July 2020 at 18:09.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 24th July 2020, 18:04   #8
BHPian

I believe there is a clear psychological bias.

A bike for the majority of Indians (with the exception of super-bikes) is considered as a staple mode of transport. Therefore, they put very little thinking into the buying decision. Along with the price range being very affordable, most never pay an exorbitant and unsustainable amount of attention to the whole ordeal.

A car on the other hand has a much larger psychological effect our psyche. We somehow attach it to a sense of freedom, accomplishment and responsibility. It gives us a sense that we've finally arrived or have achieved something substantial.

Plus it is usually a higher ticket item so people thoroughly research things before finally taking the plunge.

Oh and another thing. Cars carry a higher risk of things going wrong (although I could be wrong) in comparison to a bike due to more complicated bits and parts. Therefore, the after sales research part is a lot more complicated and we have many more people searching for car care solutions in comparison to bike related solutions. Thus car forums attract a lot more engaged traffic.

Last edited by rahul_jo : 24th July 2020 at 18:05.
rahul_jo is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th July 2020, 18:08   #9
Team-BHP Support

Simply put automobile related website / portals / forums are for the enthusiasts. A very high percentage of two wheeler buyers are not exactly well heeled and for them the motorcycle / scooter is nothing beyond an appliance to commute. They have far more important primrary needs that need to fulfilled and discussing a splendour or an activa on an internet forum cannot be that important or interesting.

In the days of YouTube and interactive platforms such as WhatsApp, Instagram, Facebook, etc. forums simply don't offer as much bang for the buck in terms of recreation for one's time.
manson is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 24th July 2020, 18:27   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post
WhatsApp, Instagram, Facebook, etc.
Hmmmm, come to think of it, not just motorcycles, there is not a single car website started in the last 5 years that has gained any traction. The major traffic goes only to the old, established players.

In the age of Facebook & WhatsApp groups, it's impossible for a new forum or automotive website to gain traction today. If anyone had told me to start Team-BHP fresh in 2020, I'd say "don't waste my time".
GTO is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 24th July 2020, 18:36   #11
Senior - BHPian

The two wheeler companies were homegrown. Did not know/ see the need to spend money on promotion. So nothing to sustain two wheeler focussed sites.

TBhps bikers are essentially recreational bikers. These bikers are also by and large Jeepers. Tells you something?

Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th July 2020, 18:44   #12
Team-BHP Support

Nice points have been added by most members, the list already covers almost everything I had in mind .

The two wheeler space is divided into the enthusiast space and the non-enthusiast commuter space and there are very few overlaps unlike cars as some of the other members pointed out. The non-enthusiasts usually rely on word of mouth and stick to tried and tested options (read as Jap commuters) in their circles when they have to make a purchase. This category itself probably constitutes 80% of the overall sales in the country. The rest (enthusiasts) consist of students and youngsters who rely mainly on youtube vlogger reviews and other such instantly available material than on website reviews. They also consist of experienced bikers or serious enthusiasts who want to make an informed decision. . This is a minuscule number though, and they do so through interactions within biker communities and groups, and some select forums such as these where they seek out advice before going for a kill.

No doubt though that there is still a gap area waiting to be exploited in terms of a database for detailed two wheeler reviews focusing on important products, problems and quirks and other such miscellaneous / lesser known topics which youtube reviewers don't cover in their quick fix world. We have a great platform for this already here.

Last edited by KarthikK : 24th July 2020 at 18:59.
KarthikK is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th July 2020, 19:00   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

The one massive reason I can think of is that biking segment in India mainly consists of commuter bikes and they are not the ones who would have the time and inclination towards the bike websites. The enthusiast bikers are the ones who invariably are car owners as well.

Of course exceptions are there but this is one reason that I can think off. That’s perhaps also the reason that the bike section in TBHP is still alive even though primarily it’s a car forum. No body talks about the commuter bikes. Biking community consists mainly of enthusiasts and they are happy to contribute in TBHP while also going through other topics !

I own a Honda Unicorn and I hardly have anything to talk about the bike but the moment I decide to buy the Jawa or a Triumph, then probably I will definitely want to talk about it, but that’s totally my view.

Last edited by ABHI_1512 : 24th July 2020 at 19:09.
ABHI_1512 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th July 2020, 19:34   #14
BHPian

Could be the reason be the simple Demand vs Supply?
Most of the sales of 2 wheeler sales (in terms of volumn) happens due to "Need" and not luxury. It is among middle class and below who doesn't take in depth research before buying a scooty or a scooter or a simple Hero Honda. Of course that is not the case if you are someone who is planning to buy Hayabusas of this era. But still I would say the Demand (viewership / click) is low for 2-Wheelers. It could also be that not much can go wrong in them and one need not spend too much time in research.

When it comes to Cars. Lot of options, Lots of Discussions within family, Lot of Research happens before most of the people buy a 4-wheeler. Simply put stakes are high and you don't want to go wrong in your decision. So demand is high for quality content and hence supply is also there when it comes to Cars.
Thanos-VV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2020, 19:53   #15
Senior - BHPian

In India, the commuters dont need blogs and websites to decide on which motorcycle to get. It a simple point A to B medium for them.

And the bulk of the ones who have access to super bikes already think they know everything there is to know about super bikes or have friends who already own super bikes and impart their wisdom.

For everybody else there is personal experience, international websites and Team Bhp.
bigron is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks