Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2022, 07:37   #31
BHPian

Re: Blu: The blue eyed boy - My Honda Activa 125 STD

Quote:
Originally Posted by som9729 View Post
Hi,

My queries
First of all, sorry for the delayed response.

Secondly, if you are considering the change only due to the suspension set-up of Activa 5G, I would suggest to look elsewhere from Honda. I have ridden the Activa 6G (110cc) and found the suspension not that much different.

If your requirement is better suspension and the requirement is non negotiable, then I would suggest you visit TVS or Hero showrooms and take a test ride of Jupiter and Duet/ Maestro. These scooters have the best suspension that I have ridden so far. However, the quality will be a step behind Honda.

You can also try Yamaha Fascino 125 Fi which also have a very good suspension and pick-up. I have been riding my Activa 125 and Fascino 125 for quite some time now and I can confidently say that the Yamaha gives better performance in almost all aspects.

The earlier Access 125 was also very nimble and had better suspension than my Activa 125. I have not experienced the newer Access.

Characteristically Honda scooter suspension is hard. Hope this helps.
Old 30th June 2022, 17:27   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACNWYTE View Post

Since Blu doesn't have end weights on the handlebar, my hand goes numb after about 30 minutes of continuous ride. Gloves helps a bit but not by much. I will be exploring the possibility of adding end weights to the handles so as to reduce vibration.
Hello Again BLACNWYTE

Any luck with adding end-weights?
If yes, details please?

I have an Activa 5G and am interested in this!

Last edited by Aditya : 1st July 2022 at 06:32. Reason: SMS lingo
som9729 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 8th August 2022, 07:46   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by som9729 View Post
Any luck with adding end-weights?
I haven't got around to this. I have not seen Honda scooters with handlebar end weights but the same is available on TVS NTorq. I have a feeling that I might need to replace the whole handlebar. Will get back after I make some enquiry as I plan to get Blu serviced by this month end.

UPDATE

Due to heavy rains in Kerala, Blu has been out of regular action for about a couple of months and in between was used by a cousin. The rear tyre suffered a puncture from a stray nail, first one on the CEAT Milaze tyre and it was patched with a plug in puncture repair kit. However, the tyre was losing pressure regularly and upon taking Blu to a tyre shop and they found a hole on the edge where sidewall meets the tread block and it cannot be patched up. Hence I was once again unwillingly forced to add a tube. Now everything is ok but I had spent on a new rim to make Blue tubeless again and I'm back to square one. Seeing how the CEAT Milaze is holding up I guess I'm stuck with a tubed tyre for the next 15-20K kms and with the current running that is 2 - 3 years.

Blu is performing flawlessly and in no way I'm feeling any performance issued due to the supposedly bad clutch shoe, aftermarket drive belt and old air filter. Will update the thread after the next service.

The ODO now stands a little over 48000 Kms.

Last edited by BLACNWYTE : 8th August 2022 at 07:58.
Old 8th August 2022, 09:43   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have not seen Honda scooters with handlebar end weights
I recently rode a month old Activa 6G with bar end weights.
They were quite effective, you should check them out.
shancz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2022, 14:44   #35
BHPian

Oil Change @ HP COCO Pump, Trivandrum

Ever since I saw the "free" oil change advertising at BP/HP/IOCL COCO Pumps, I wanted to try it at least once. As I have been getting Blu serviced at ASS and the oil changes were being done there I never could get it done at the petrol pump.

A couple of days ago, I finally bit the bullet and decided that I'm getting the oil change at a COCO Pump and I'll postpone the full service till December 2022 or earlier if absolutely required.

Blu has run about 4500 kms since last service and it was high time I got the oil changed. When I checked, the oil was dark and I felt that the level was a little low. The engine also felt a little rough on acceleration on inclines and I thought an oil change might address most of the issues.

Now I knew that I'll have to pay for the oil and only the labour would be free. (Contrary to popular belief I'm not that stupid). I wanted to see what oil they use and how they did the job.

I chose evening time as I returned from office for the process and also I had to tank up Blu since he was on reserve. Took Blu to HP COCO Kowadiyar, Trivandrum. So after I tanked him up asked the attendent if they would do an oil change and he readily obliged. Since there was no one else, Blu was taken on the bay and the oil level and condition was visually checked and he drained the oil into a pan kept on the side. Since it was dark, I felt the old oil was completely black and the attendent drained out the maximum oil by tilting Blu to one side and keeping it like that for some time. I was satisfied with the process.

Blu: The blue eyed boy - My Honda Activa 125 STD-img_20220908_133643.jpg

Blu: The blue eyed boy - My Honda Activa 125 STD-img_20220908_133412.jpg

Blu: The blue eyed boy - My Honda Activa 125 STD-img_20220908_133503.jpg

Now came the part of new oil. I half expected him to go inside the store and come back with the required 800ml of oil in a measuring jar buy to my surprise he took a fresh bottle of HP Racer Skutex 10W- 30 800 ml bottle and filled him up. Then entire bottle was used up. The bolts were tightened and I was good to go.

Blu: The blue eyed boy - My Honda Activa 125 STD-img_20220907_190638.jpg

Blu: The blue eyed boy - My Honda Activa 125 STD-img_20220907_190654.jpg

Blu: The blue eyed boy - My Honda Activa 125 STD-img_20220908_133602.jpg

Cost me Rs. 320/- for the oil. No discount on the MRP on the bottle. Maybe it was a bit costlier than the ASS and also I need to look out for leak from draining bolt since the washer/ o-ring was not replaced. However, I feel overall it cost lesser than if I had taken him to ASS/FNG for an oil change. Satisfied with the process. Not sure I'll make a habit of this. I better stick to my half yearly service schedule.

Odo stands a shade above 48800kms as on date.

Last edited by BLACNWYTE : 8th September 2022 at 15:06.
BLACNWYTE is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th February 2023, 19:27   #36
BHPian

Fifteenth Service and 50,000 Kms

It has been sometime since I updated this thread. Partially because I have been busy and partially because there was nothing much happening with Blu during this time. Typical fill it and ride it life.

Anyway it was almost a year since proper service was done and I decided New Year was the best time to get Blu properly serviced. This time around I tried a different Honda ASS near to my house. This was a less crowded center and there was no particular problems I needed addressed. So gave it for the usual oil change and tightening of all nuts and bolts They SA told he will call me after the work was done or if anything needed replacement.The only other thing replaced was the air filter.
Got back Blu by evening 4PM and the bill came to Rs. 819/-.

By that time Blu already rolled over the milestone of 50000 kms.

Blu: The blue eyed boy - My Honda Activa 125 STD-img_20221113_192819.jpg

As of now I have shelved the plan of upgrading the handlebar to that of Activa 6G. Blu is chugging along merrily for the moment.
BLACNWYTE is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2023, 12:13   #37
BHPian

I jinxed it!

I was just telling how fuss free Blu was running and BAM! trouble.

My FIL was out with Blu and I was told that it suddenly started pulling left and when checked with a local mechanic, it was told that the cone set (bearing connecting handlebar to stem) has gone kaput. Blu had been running on the factory part for 50k Kms and through some very bad roads for about one third of that mileage so I was not that surprised when the part failed. He then asked the mechanic to replace the cone set and deliver Blu home, which the mechanic did by end of the day. It cost me Rs. 1100/- for part and labour which seemed very high. But since the mechanic was an acquaintance I did not raise a concern. I thought the issue was resolved but worse was yet to come.

Upon riding Blu the next day, I noticed at once that the handlebar has become quite jittery. It was bouncing all over the place for even the minute imperfection on the road, not to tell about the pothole filled and dug up areas. I told this to my FIL and he said he will take it back to the mechanic for correcting it. I didn't want to trouble him hence took Blu myself there. The mechanic didn't give excuses but checked the front end and told that the bearing setting might have come a little loose causing the bouncing. I didn't know any better and he asked to leave Blu so that he can do the repairs properly taking required time. He even dropped me off at home, so far I didn't have any reason not to trust this guy.

As promised he brought back Blu in the afternoon and told me the issue was resolved. I didn't use Blu till two days after and observed that the bounciness have definitely gone down a couple of notches but it was still there. My BIL while visiting also told that the handling of Blu felt funny. Now I was quite sure the repairs done was not right in spite of my wife telling me its all in my head. What does she know?

While I was checking Blu again I was shocked to see that the right pipe of front suspension was leaking oil. It has blown the seal. Could this be the issue. This time I decided to cut my losses and take Blu to a HASS which is what I did. I asked them to send me photos of the problems on Whatsapp and also keep me updated on the repairs.

This is what I was told, the oil seal was blown, not surprised since left pipe seal was replaced earlier, it was only a matter of time and kms the second one failed. Secondly the fork right pipe needs to be replaced since it has been bent because someone had installed it upside down earlier!. Who else than my friendly neighborhood mechanic. And because of the wrong installation of the pipe, the new bearing also had cracked and now I needed a new bearing too. The HASS sent me images but I'm not technically inclined to read them. So I gave the go ahead to replace the pipe, oil and bearing and I got Blu back by evening and he was back to his normal smooth self. It set me back by Rs. 2240/- but learnt a very valuable lesson too. Some pictures:

Front suspension oil leak.
Blu: The blue eyed boy - My Honda Activa 125 STD-fs-2.jpeg

Blu: The blue eyed boy - My Honda Activa 125 STD-fs-1.jpeg

Wrongly fitted pipe.
Blu: The blue eyed boy - My Honda Activa 125 STD-pipe.jpeg

Damaged bearing (new)
Blu: The blue eyed boy - My Honda Activa 125 STD-bearing-1.jpeg

Blu: The blue eyed boy - My Honda Activa 125 STD-bearing-2.jpeg

This FNM had lots of customers so I was not worried giving Blu there, also he didn't make any excuses for his work and was very convincing that he would resolve my issue. Well now I know to never go there ever again. Had Blu been given to HASS the first time, I could have saved about two thirds of the total amount spent and needn't have replaced suspension components. Well no use crying over spilt milk.

Odo now stands a smidge above 52k kms.

I absolutely forgot about one thing, remember the dancing speedometer issue I had, well not anymore, the new cone set seems to have resolved the issue. Well it was resolved at the first replacement and after the final replacement at HASS I can confidently say that the issue is gone for sure. Have tested the same on some unforgivingly broken roads and the needle remains steady. So YAY.

Now on the side note, while I was at the HASS, I enquired about changing the handlebar of Blu with that from Activa 6G but I was told in the negative. They are not compatible.

Last edited by BLACNWYTE : 27th March 2023 at 12:40. Reason: added content
Old 4th May 2023, 21:26   #38
BHPian

Quote:
You can also try Yamaha Fascino 125 Fi which also have a very good suspension and pick-up. I have been riding my Activa 125 and Fascino 125 for quite some time now and I can confidently say that the Yamaha gives better performance in almost all aspects.
Hi! Your posts are very helpful. I'm in a similar boat, looking between the Fascino and the Activa 125. Since you've used both scooters extensively, how would you rate both scooters out of 10 in terms of Ride Comfort and Reliability.
Old 9th May 2023, 09:28   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by John316_WRC View Post
how would you rate both scooters out of 10 in terms of Ride Comfort and Reliability.
In ride comfort Fascino 125 beats Activa 125 hands down.

In terms of reliability both are about same I would say, engine wise both perform almost equally with slight edge to Yamaha.

Suspension setup of Honda scooters are always hard. I don't think it world have changed much. Fascino will offer better ride comfort. Best ride comfort I have observed are in Hero's and TVS but they are not good as the Japs in the quality department.

The Fascino is only requiring routine services and have undergone one tyre and battery replacement and also the front brake pads have been changed once during routine services. The only issue I had with that is a screeching noise from the front brake pads which persisted even after replacement but it was sorted out by ASS. It's has been 19k kms till now and it gives around 50kmpl avg in the foothill region of Western ghats.

The Activa on the other hand has done 53k kms and is 6.5 years old so age is starting to show on components however, the engine note has not changed from the day I
first rode it home.

Mind you that I'm comparing 2016 model carburetted Activa with fuel injected Fascino. Hope this helps you.

Last edited by BLACNWYTE : 9th May 2023 at 09:29.
Old 26th July 2023, 01:21   #40

Hello everyone

I ride a 2019 model activa 5g which has clocked 30k kms my vehicle consumes engine oil by 100 ml at every 1k kms and there are no visible signs of smoke, performance and mileage loss even the spark plug comes out clean I get my vehicle serviced at every 2-2.5k kms.Is it normal for activa to consume engine oil at 1000kms by 100 ml ?? I'm confused please help me out
Old 26th July 2023, 01:26   #41

Hello respected members

I ride a 2019 model activa 5g which has clocked 30k kms.I get it serviced regularly at every 2500 kms or 4 months whatever comes earlier.My vehicle consumes engine oil at every 1000 kms by 100 ml.There are no such symptoms of white smoke or reduction in performance or mileage and there's no black soot on my silencer tip and the spark plug comes out dry n clean. Is it normal for activa to consume oil and 1k kms and can I take it on highway in such condition please reply
Old 27th July 2023, 23:14   #42
BHPian

No smoke, clean spark plugs, no drop in milage or performance all points to that oil is not being burned. Burning oil definitely produces smoke and it can cause rough idling and misfires.

Are you sure that there is no leak?
Old 28th July 2023, 02:07   #43

Yes sir I got it confirmed that there's no oil leak
Old 28th July 2023, 12:52   #44
BHPian

That's really confusing then, engine oil consumption would have lead to at least smoke from exhaust. And there is no leak.

What does the ASS have to say about this?
Old 28th July 2023, 13:03   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shlok View Post
I ride a 2019 model activa 5g which has clocked 30k kms my vehicle consumes engine oil by 100 ml at every 1k kms and there are no visible signs of smoke, performance and mileage loss even the spark plug comes out clean I get my vehicle serviced at every 2-2.5k kms.Is it normal for activa to consume engine oil at 1000kms by 100 ml ?? I'm confused please help me out
That's because of the heat & it happens with every engine no matter its made by Honda, BMW, Harley, Triumph including cars. Even the most advanced synthetic engine oils have their molecular structure broken due to immense & continuous heat due to which there's some amount of evaporation that occurs. Fortunately its easier to check in motorcycles {atleast in Pulsar, Interceptor, CBR 250R} due to the inspection window at the bottom of the engine. For cars & Activa one has to use the measuring stick to ensure the engine oil level is between the min & max level for every 1500 Km right after the {synthetic} engine oil is changed & keep toping up if required. The ODO interval keeps decreasing when nearing to as the engine oil replacement interval. Since this happens due to evaporation, there will be no smoke or any visible changes, except for clunky gear shifts with motorcycles as an early warning sign.

Last edited by aargee : 28th July 2023 at 13:05.
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks