Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2020, 15:54   #1
BHPian

My Yamaha Fascino Review - Story of turning a lemon to lemonade

Hey guys, here is the story of My Yamaha Fascino, which I received as a lemon on the day of delivery itself, I perceived it to be a lemon in the initial days of ownership itself as multiple service centers, service advisors, mechanics failed to rectify the issue even after multiple part replacements on my brand new Yamaha Fascino which I bought in October 2017, the issue was finally solved in December 2019.

Apparently the whole batch of Yamaha Fascinos produced between September 2017 to March 2018 were affected by the issue, but the company (Yamaha) did not give an official recall to customers.

My Yamaha Fascino Review - Story of turning a lemon to lemonade-img_6726.jpg

I find it strange, the recall scene in our automobile industry and also lemon laws in our country are very poor. My friend got a faulty EPS power steering module and rack on his i10 grand he got it changed in H.A.S.S after he found the steering to be extremely loose and some rattling sound from steering rack. He got it changed under warranty only after I alerted him and showed him these threads that they are defective and Hyundai did not even do an official recall. The SA also agreed on the faulty products.
i10 grand EPS issue (Hyundai Xcent / Grand i10 EPS issue: Steering suddenly becomes 'loose')
Quality issues of Hyundai (Hyundai India - The occasional serious quality lapse and apathetic manufacturer response!)

I never thought I would get such an 'affected batch vehicle'.

Background :

I am someone who learnt driving a car before learning to ride a 2 wheeler. I'd blame my parents for it for not having / allowing a 2 wheeler at home. My parents are doctors and everyday they see many accident cases on two wheelers where most of them are fatally injured, brain dead, spinal cord injuries, multiple fractures on other parts of body or even worse, sometimes accident cases coming as dead bodies to hospital. They feel bigger cars are the safest for commuting, precisely the reason why we bought all bigger cars so far, except for wagon r, which we use as a beater car in city. We have a Kinetic Honda, which my parents bought before I was born, it was used by our drivers to get groceries and other stuff from nearby shops and deliver lunch to my parents in their respective hospitals. It was used, abused by our multiple drivers over the years and is not drive-able / ride-able anymore by the time I reached a legal driving age.

Need of a 2 wheeler:

Well, most of my friends bought 2 wheelers, few bought expensive big bikes like Yamaha R1, Kawazaki Ninja 1000, some bought KTMs, Dominars, Pulsar 220,200 NS, 200 RS, 180, 150, FZ, Honda shine and few others bought practical scooters like Activa 4G, 125, Access, Vespa, Fascino and other vehicles.

I used to ask them for rides and used to love riding their 2 wheelers, riding a 2 wheeler is a complete different experience than driving a car. It was fairly easy to learn as I used to ride a bicycle till 10th and have good ability to balance it and also steer the handle properly even on curves. Although I love to drive cars, which I've been doing since I was 7 year old (GoKarts) (How to prepare kids for go-karting / Formula racing?), riding a two wheeler is an awesome feeling, for someone who is restricted to it all their life, and once on a bike, it was very special as if I got some wings to 'fly'.

But I realized that our traffic is very bad there is no apathy for two wheelers from bigger vehicles like autos, cars, buses and lorries. I also see some two wheelers cutting across bigger vehicles, so even few two wheelers are equally bad in following road manners. I thought I should not go for a too expensive one, but a normal sports bike or a gearless scooter.

I wanted a super fast sports bike like a KTM Duke 390 which my parents straight away rejected, so I thought I should at least buy a scooter for local errands and to go to places where cars cannot go in dense traffic and where car parking is not available. My parents again rejected the idea of taking a 2 wheeler on main roads (I do it without their knowledge though) So I told them that I'd be using the scooter only for local errands in and around the housing society. Back then my friend recently bought a Yamaha Fascino 110 cc, I fell in love with the way it looks, classic retro style like vespa at half the cost. I really loved the way it rode, the engine and ride quality was butter smooth and I immediately thought this is the vehicle I should go for. I also had a look at Activa 125, Activa 4G, Suzuki Access, Jupiter Aprilia 150 SR, My main interest was to buy an Electric scooter but Ather was not available in Hyderabad back then. Finally after seeing all the vehicles, Fascino 110 felt much smoother than all the other vehicles, also it's ride quality is good despite 10 inch tyre in the front. I'm also a Yamaha Fan, I love Valentino Rossi, his heroic wins and his Yamaha. I also heard that Yamaha engines for bikes are bulletproof like Toyota for cars / SUVs. All these made me go for Yamaha. I love Kawasaki, KTM, Suzuki an Honda brands too. Each and every brand have their own unique points.

Purchase experience 31st October 2017

I bought my Fascino at Ashoka Yamaha, Ranigunj, Secunderabad. I walked into the showroom and saw a White / Gray dual shade Fascino, I immediately fell in love with the color and asked them if they had it in stock, their stockyard is just 200 meters away and they confirmed availability of my choice of color. I paid full amount, 58K INR ex-showroom and 66K INR OTR Hyderabad. I did not understand why they did not bill me the OTR price, instead gave me a GST bill of ex-showroom price. I also purchased 5 years extended warranty for extra 500 rupees. The purchase, paper work, everything happened in 1 hour including the selection of helmet. (Steel bird Army helmet with Yamaha branding sold as official accessory). Did the PDI, the scooter had 3 km on ODO, It was just 1 month old from factory, no scratches, swirl marks whatsoever. They took the vehicle for wash as it was covered with little bit of dust in the warehouse, I also bought a seat cover and protection guard all around the body in chrome.

PDI:

My Yamaha Fascino Review - Story of turning a lemon to lemonade-img_6708.jpg

GST Bill without RTO, insurance, Extended warranty amount.

My Yamaha Fascino Review - Story of turning a lemon to lemonade-scan.jpg

My Yamaha Fascino Review - Story of turning a lemon to lemonade-img_6712.jpg

My Yamaha Fascino Review - Story of turning a lemon to lemonade-img_6714.jpg

My Yamaha Fascino Review - Story of turning a lemon to lemonade-img_6735.jpg

My Yamaha Fascino Review - Story of turning a lemon to lemonade-img_6744.jpg

The issue:

My Fascino was vibrating a lot with lot of NVH (Noise, Vibration and Harshness). My friend previously bought a Fascino just two months before I bought, and it was as smooth as butter. I actually made up my mind to buy a Fascino after riding his scooter.

As soon as I took the delivery, my vehicle felt very rough even in idling, compared to my friend's Fascino which was smooth as mentioned earlier. My other friends also accompanied me for the purchase and everyone felt the same. We asked the showroom manager and he told that fuel is very less, that might be the issue, since it is in reserve it is running little rough, also new vehicles need to 'open up' a little, (may be he was talking about running in period, which I was already familiar with), so without any doubt in mind, and since this is a happy occasion (purchasing a vehicle), I put all my doubts aside and took the delivery, filled up the tank, drove it home, again took bath, went to Tadbund Hanuman Temple for pooja on the same day as it was very auspicious day. Next day when I drove it, it still felt the same with lot of vibrations, you literally don't need a massage chair.

First Service: 16th December 2017 ODO: 500 kms

I took my fascino for the first service, I complained to SA about the high NVH, he told that the scooter is still brand new, you should atleast clock 1k kms for the engine to smoothen up. My friend also accompanied me and he told that his fascino was butter smooth right from the day of delivery. The SA requested me to drive it till 1k kms, if there's any issue then, he told he will definitely look into it and I started feeling that I'm struck with a lemon.

Unnecessary Tyre replacement advised by Yamaha SA and Mechanics
12th January 2018

My Yamaha Fascino Review - Story of turning a lemon to lemonade-img_8425.jpg

After unbearable NVH while riding my brand new Fascino for over 2 months, I took my scooter to Yamaha showroom when my other friend was due for his fascino's servicing. We went to the same place, Ashoka Yamaha, Ranigunj. The SA and mechanic drove my friend's scooter and mine back to back and got confused, my friend's fascino was having TVS tyres, mine were MRF, they told MRF tyres are harder and TVS are softer that's the reason why my vehicle is riding rough. When I asked him why is it making more noise when idling, he did not have a clue. But they were confident that it is a bad tyre which was causing this harshness during ride and suggested me to get replaced at MRF showroom which is very far from my home (40 kms two way). The vehicle did not even complete 1000 kms. When I visited MRF factory / office at kothaguda, Sagar ring road they inspected the tyre and said it is in perfect condition. I asked them why did the Yamaha people ask me to replace then? And I told them that I came from far off, 20 kms one-way just for tyre replacement. They understood my pain and saw this issue happen on a brand new vehicle and granted a replacement. They asked me to handover the old tyre, They don't have any tools or people to change tyres within the factory, so I had to walk to nearest road side puncture shop which is about 2 kms from the factory twice - once to get the old tyre removed, take it, submit it to them, get a new tyre from them and get it replaced. I was hoping this noise and vibration will go for sure and was very excited to see the change, but to my utter dismay, they NVH while riding was very much persistent and I was very upset for the way Yamaha SA and mechanic fooled me by not giving a correct solution.

My Yamaha Fascino Review - Story of turning a lemon to lemonade-scan_0005.jpg

Out with the 800 km old tyre

My Yamaha Fascino Review - Story of turning a lemon to lemonade-img_8427.jpg

In with the new tyre

My Yamaha Fascino Review - Story of turning a lemon to lemonade-img_8434.jpg

Second Service: 29th March 2018 ODO: About 2.5k kms

In the second service, I once again complained the SA about the irritating NVH, my friend, the other fascino owner also accompanied me. The SA and mechanic told that all the other vehicles are like that, and I just have a doubt in mind that I receive a lemon. I was pissed off with that answer, I again made them ride my friend's fascino and mine back to back and asked him to fix the issue otherwise I'd take this matter to higher ups.

My Yamaha Fascino Review - Story of turning a lemon to lemonade-img_0478.jpg

My Yamaha Fascino Review - Story of turning a lemon to lemonade-img_0479.jpg

They changed the clutch rollers this time. He told that factory people fixed the rollers in opposite direction and he corrected it along with oil change and regular service. I was happy to listen that the issue is finally solved, that is the rollers were fixed in a wrong direction and have been put in place correctly. But when I started the vehicle, it was same. The vibration was similar. Again the SA requested me to drive it till 3k kms, earlier he asked me to drive it to 1k kms for the engine to free up, now he extended it to 3k kms. The workshop manager Mr Prabhakar and SA Mr Gopi and mechanic Mr Kaleem (The senior most mechanic of this workshop) told that they did everything they could to make it smooth. I cursed my luck and thought I'm struck with lemon.

My Yamaha Fascino Review - Story of turning a lemon to lemonade-scan_0002.jpg

I read Team-BHP threads on Lemon cars, incompetent authorized service centers and Lemon laws, and based on many suggestions given by BHPians to other BHPians is that there is some or the other solution for each and every issue, and we should find it out the right way. So I thought there should be some kind of an issue, may be the engine was bad. Now I've been researching and reading extensively on this issue and majority of the resources pointed out to connecting rod and piston seating problem. I asked if there's any issue with engine and they denied citing symptoms like white smoke and pickup loss, for which I too felt their response was reasonable.

Third Service 8 November 2018 ODO: 5,000 kms

My running by this time was very less as I finished my masters and I got a job in Gurgaon, I moved to Gurgaon in April, closely after Fascino's 2nd service. I used to go to Hyderabad only once in a month or two for weekends. So I gave my Fascino to my friend so that the scooter's battery and tires wouldn't get spoilt, He has a bike for his daily office use and he used my fascino very rarely the odo was around 5k kms (most of the kms were put in by him and his friends just because SA asked me to keep vehicle running to smoothen up the engine). So here I go to the 3rd service and I asked SA about the issue not being solved even after 5K kms. This time, they assigned a different mechanic named Srinivas, I was told that he is much better than the previous one, and this mechanic changed complete Clutch carrier assembly, you can see the part name and number attached in the bill below. Since my vehicle has 5 years extended warranty, he changed it for free of cost. I was very happy again to know that the issue is solved as a complete part assembly was changed. He told that the vehicle had faulty clutch assembly. (CVT drive belt) .

My Yamaha Fascino Review - Story of turning a lemon to lemonade-scan_0003.jpg

As soon as I started the vehicle and took a test drive, I found it to be same. I did not understand whether to laugh or cry. I was very upset at their incompetence and finally gave up.

Team BHP rules restricts the number of emojis in a post, otherwise I'd have posted multiple frustration emojis for bad experience of each and every visit to service center.

4th Service, Follow up and leaving my Fascino at Y.A.S.S for 25 days 15-11-2019 to 29-12-2019 ODO : 8500 kms

I was back in Hyderabad in 2019 and started working from home for the same company, I was also made one of the Indian directors for the company and I only needed to travel to Gurgaon very rarely. My project was also completed and only support work was going on. So I had much time to make DIY mods on my cars. During this period I used my Fascino for local errands and other Knick knacks. The vehicle did not put in number of kms needed for service. So I took my Fascino to Ashoka Yamaha Ranigunj and told that the issue was not solved despite changing clutch kit.

The new manager Mr Vishal advised me to take my Fascino to Mettuguda branch as their mechanics are much more competent and bigger works are usually handled there. I thanked him for the advice and went to Ashoka Yamaha Mettuguda branch. They inspected the vehicle and agreed that something is wrong, they also showed me a similar model Fascino which also had the same issue, but only few reported and none had an idea what the issue is. They kept the vehicle for a day, I don't know what they did but they told that the issue is sorted. I took the vehicle on 15-11-2019 and it did not give me satisfaction as I had the same NVH and told them I'm not going to take the vehicle back unless my issue is sorted out. Again my friend accompanied me on his fascino and the SA and mechanic rode both vehicles back to back and felt that there's an issue in my fascino.

My Yamaha Fascino Review - Story of turning a lemon to lemonade-scan_0006.jpg

This time I was lucky enough to meet regional manager of South (Andhra Pradesh and Telangana) Mr.Raju who came for routine visit. He listened to my issue patiently and called a senior SA Mr. Ravi who had been with Yamaha for the last 10 years, He is an enthusiast and likes bikes and two wheelers in general. I explained to him about the issue in detail and what the folks at Ashoka Yamaha Ranigunj did and failed, and Mettuguda mechanics are also repeating the same. He assured me that the issue will be fixed but asked some time for it. I was not in a hurry and my OCD doesn't let me ride my Fascino like this, so I gave a go ahead and I told him to call me only after the issue is sorted out, as Mettuguda is a little far from my house compared to Ranigunj. He said okay and took 20 more days. They kept my vehicle for 25 days, changed multiple parts again clutch rollers, drive belt, and many other parts. I was asked to visit but the issue did not get solved. I made it clear to him that I'd pick up the vehicle only if my issue is sorted. I also mentioned him that they changed clutch, drive belt parts multiple times, why not have a look at the engine, since it is under warranty, I asked them for engine replacement which I thought was the prime suspect for excess NVH.

Solution:

He called me one day and told that the issue is not with engine but with over tightening of engine mounts from factory., and the engine vibrations are causing direct vibrations on chassis and body due to overtightening. I was taken aback. Don't they have torque wrench to tighten it to factory specs in the factory? He also told that the entire batch is having the same issue, the SA Mr.Ravi also got his wife's Fascino fixed immediately after finding the issue on my Fascino. He told that vehicles which were bought during this time September 2017 to March 2018, entire 2000+ Fascinos were affected by this issue (overtightening of engine to mounts and mount to body). The part costed only 20 rupees each. It was not about the cost of part, but the issue wasn't diagnosed properly by mechanics for over 2 years and 3 services. Such a simple issue took 2 years of time. The SA also advised me to get 4th servicing done as it has been almost an year, my free coupons expired unfortunately. My previous SA at Ashoka Yamaha Ranigunj told that servicing need not be done in time but they would consider number of kms run as my running is less and I had an issue from day 1. Mettuguda SA told that they would be sending these coupons to Yamaha factory to claim service money, I thought it was fair and had to unfortunately forego my free service coupons. My only complain is Yamaha India did not recall vehicles to fix the issue so far even after identifying the problem. I wrote to Yamaha India regarding the same, but did not get any reply. I'm sharing this information to public through Team-BHP as a simple google search on Vibration and harsh ride quality on Yamaha Fascino would redirect to this page and could help many owners. I tried doing it in the past but I couldn't find any article regarding this. I also shared the same issue here (Scooter: Tubeless tyre converted to tubed) in the past but writing a thread on the same would give this issue more visibility and help many Yamaha Fascino 110 owners.

My Yamaha Fascino Review - Story of turning a lemon to lemonade-scan_0007.jpg

Now the issue is fixed but some strange click sound is coming from rear wheel / rear section of Fascino whenever I ride it on rough patches or on potholes. The SA acknowledged it after 4th service test drive and promised me that he will fix it in the next service. I plan to take it for servicing next month after the covid situation gets a little better . Now the ODO is on 10,500 kms, next service is due at 11,000 kms.

My mail to AP/TS Regional manager Mr.Raju and other Yamaha support mail ids. I typed it in on my phone at the service center itself when they asked me the bring the vehicle again next day to identify that clicking sound. I lost my temper and typed it then and there. Apologies for any mistakes in the mail screenshot.

My Yamaha Fascino Review - Story of turning a lemon to lemonade-mail.jpg

Last edited by WhiteSierra : 4th October 2020 at 23:35.
WhiteSierra is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 4th October 2020, 18:40   #2
BHPian

Re: My Yamaha Fascino - Story of turning a lemon into lemonade

With the major issue sorted out, I planned to make some subtle mods to my Fascino. My Fascino is dual shade White & Grey color, I thought giving it all LEDs would make it look much better. I added an LED headlight bulb, LED parking light & meter light bulbs and an LED tail light bulb. I also installed a voltmeter.

1. LED Headlight bulb : I checked various types of LED headlights and during research, these LED bulbs are not direct plug and play like cars. Cars have DC electrical system where as Scooters and Bikes have AC electrical system on headlights. I converted it to DC system after attaining knowledge from various YouTube videos. It took some time to figure out which wire goes where but with a multimeter it made the process very simple. Instead of using dynamo wire, I used power source from battery. I just spliced and used a T-type connector and fixed it. I did this mod long back before becoming a member here, how I wish I took some pictures of that process to share with you guys. There are many YouTube videos on the same and they will be helpful to you.

The Bulb: 5M LED Headlight Bulb H4 Connector For All Bikes and Scooters (40W, White Light, Single Unit)

I've been using this for more than an year and it is holding up pretty good, no flickering, no drain to battery (Original halogen was 35 W, this is 40 W, but it did not show any signs of battery drain so far.

My Yamaha Fascino Review - Story of turning a lemon to lemonade-img_1186.jpg

My Yamaha Fascino Review - Story of turning a lemon to lemonade-img_1209.jpg

My Yamaha Fascino Review - Story of turning a lemon to lemonade-img_1206.jpg

Light in action :

2. LED taillight bulb: I ordered this from Ali Express, I initially planning to install these on my Innova, but the point of contact is not touching those holders, but they are a perfect fit for my Fascino, I gave an other bulb to my friend, he is using it on his Activa 125.

The bulb is white, due to the reflector, it looks red

My Yamaha Fascino Review - Story of turning a lemon to lemonade-img_20201004_173748.jpg

Here due to clear glass for number plate lighting from same bulb, it appears white, this is pretty bright in dark. Looks fabulous.

My Yamaha Fascino Review - Story of turning a lemon to lemonade-img_20201004_173803.jpg

Notice white light at the back of Fascino, the light throw and brightness is amazing in dark.

My Yamaha Fascino Review - Story of turning a lemon to lemonade-img_6218.jpg

Link:
2PCS 1157 P21/5W BAY15D Super Bright 33 SMD 5630 5730 LED Auto Brake Light Rear Fog Lamps 21/5w Car DRL Driving light Stop Bulbs

3. LED parking light bulb: I ordered this from Ali Express. I also used these in number plate lights of my Innova and Qualis.

My Yamaha Fascino Review - Story of turning a lemon to lemonade-img_20201004_180629.jpg

Link:
10PCS T10 Led Car Interior Bulb Canbus Error Free T10 White 5730 4/8/12 SMD LED 12V Car Side Wedge Light White Lamp Bulb

4. LED Meter light bulbs: These are the same ones I used for parking light bulb.

original halogen yellow meter bulbs

My Yamaha Fascino Review - Story of turning a lemon to lemonade-img_6945.jpg

replaced with white LED meter bulbs

My Yamaha Fascino Review - Story of turning a lemon to lemonade-img_20201004_180851.jpg

5. Voltmeter: As I mentioned in my previous posts in Tools for DIYer thread, (Tools for a DIYer) I'm have OCD and fear of getting struck in middle of nowhere. Although my fascino has a kickrod, I thought it would be cool to install a voltmeter on my fascino too, as all my cars have a voltmeter. I bought this waterproof voltmeter from AliExpress and I've been using it from more than an year without any issue so far. I installed it using a saw drill bit attached to my Bosch drill set, it just took 10 minutes including wiring, I tapped it from parking light bulb wire using T connectors. DC 12 V Motorcycle Car LED Digital Display Voltmeter Waterproof Volt Meter

Location where I installed it, just above the choke switch. Luckily there is good amount of space on the other side of panel to perfectly accommodate the other end of voltmeter including wires.

My Yamaha Fascino Review - Story of turning a lemon to lemonade-img_1190.jpg

This is how it looks when switched on.

My Yamaha Fascino Review - Story of turning a lemon to lemonade-img_1205.jpg

Voltmeter in action :

Polish: I use this Motomax insta shine sponge polish for all plastic and matte panels on my Fascino. It looks brand new whenever I apply this on my Fascino. I also use this to polish my cars' plastics like cowl panel and dashboard. It lasts very long and helps to extend the life of plastics. If there is any dust on polish, I use a microfiber cloth and wipe it in 1 way so that no swirl marks would appear.

My Yamaha Fascino Review - Story of turning a lemon to lemonade-img_20200718_113351.jpg

My Yamaha Fascino Review - Story of turning a lemon to lemonade-img_20200718_113242.jpg

My Yamaha Fascino Review - Story of turning a lemon to lemonade-img_20200718_113459.jpg

My Yamaha Fascino Review - Story of turning a lemon to lemonade-img_20200718_113301.jpg

Motomax Insta Shine Sponge

My opinion about Yamaha Fascino 110 after close to 3 years of usage:

Positives:

1. Stylish retro look, it is a head turner between all the routine Honda Activas, TVS Jupiters, Suzuki Access' and Hero Masteros on roads.
2. Butter smooth ride quality (after the engine mount issue was fixed)
3. Good mileage ~45 to 48 kmph even after driving it hard
4. Instant Pick up - Despite having only 7.2 BHP and 8.1 NM torque, it accelerates very fast, the pick up is too good compared to other scooters in the segment. It has instant pick up.
5. Even after 3 years and with OEM battery, it still starts in half a crank, even during cold starts. I don't use kick start even though it is advised to start first time in a day with kick start to preserve the battery life. Alternatively, to extend the battery life, I regularly check distill water in the cells. I opened the battery tray and found that the positive terminal of battery got corroded / sulfation and has eaten away the original screw of +ve wire to half, I immediately removed it and replaced original battery steel screws with stainless steel nut and bolt, also applied Liqui Moly battery terminal gel, I previously posted it here. https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...ml#post4866489 (Car battery life - How long did your battery last?)
6. I'm 5'8, for my height, it is perfect to balance even in tricky conditions like slippery roads and roads with potholes. I can place both my legs down unlike bigger bikes and Activa 125 and other scooters which have 12' wheels.

Negatives:

1. Incompetent mechanics as service centers, they couldn't diagnose the issue for 2 long years!
2. My time and efforts in dealing with the issue and getting it fixed.
3. BS-4 model Fascino has continuous headlight ON as compulsory feature with a dummy switch location. I bought an OEM switch and had to install it to switch it off during day time. I usually use it in the day / evening times for local errands only.

As they say, All's well that ends well. I'm happy with my Fascino now and I enjoy riding it even for those short commutes. My OCD doesn't bother me anymore.

Conclusion:

Many of my friends asked me to get rid of the vehicle and exchange it for an Activa or Jupiter because of then unknown engine mount issue. I did not take their advice but got the issue fixed after persistent follow up and pulling out a few strings from Yamaha higher ups. I don't repent a bit, the issue is sorted out and this is a gem of a scooter, it looks great, drives and handles well, gives about 45 to 48 kmpl, and with some subtle modifications, it screams Awesomeness whenever I ride it. I love my Yamaha Fascino and thanks to Ashoka Yamaha Mettuguda branch, Mr.Ravi (Service Advisor) and Mr.Raju (Regional Manager) for solving my issue. This is the story of me turning my lemon into an awesome lemonade drink! Thanks to all BHPians for reading patiently and apologies for any mistakes in my post.

Few parting shots:

My Yamaha Fascino Review - Story of turning a lemon to lemonade-img_e7196.jpg

My Yamaha Fascino Review - Story of turning a lemon to lemonade-img_e7159.jpg

My Yamaha Fascino Review - Story of turning a lemon to lemonade-img_7068.jpg

No vehicle of ours is complete without a Team-BHP sticker.

My Yamaha Fascino Review - Story of turning a lemon to lemonade-img_20200930_183617.jpg

My Yamaha Fascino Review - Story of turning a lemon to lemonade-img_20200930_183626.jpg

Last edited by WhiteSierra : 4th October 2020 at 23:30.
WhiteSierra is offline   (40) Thanks
Old 5th October 2020, 08:09   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: My Yamaha Fascino Review - Story of turning a lemon to lemonade

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the 2-wheeled Section. Thanks for sharing!

Going to our homepage today .
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th October 2020, 09:06   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: My Yamaha Fascino - Story of turning a lemon into lemonade

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSierra View Post

Negatives:

2. My time and efforts in dealing with the issue and getting it fixed.

Many of my friends asked me to get rid of the vehicle and exchange it for an Activa or Jupiter
I'd actually put the time and efforts in dealing with the issue under the head "Positives".

Agreed, we've got a new vehicle, we expected a fuss free ownership, but it has given us issues.

However, such issues, and the effort one puts in to sort them out leads to an improvement in:

1. perseverance

2. problem solving abilities

3. temperament viz. patience

The learning that you've got out of this experience is invaluable !!!

Washing one's hands off a problem is the easiest way out, but taking the damn thing head on and eliminating it is what makes you a victor !!!
vigsom is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 5th October 2020, 11:55   #5
BHPian

I completely understand what you went through. I had to buy my first bike last year and since I too heard about Yamaha being very reliable and their engines being reliable and thus went ahead and bought an FZ25 on August 2019. In my case the problems started from the gearbox. There would be a lot of false neutrals. During my first service I told them the problem and they said the clutch was not adjusted properly and that was causing the problem. So they adjusted the clutch.

Now this adjustment led to a new problem. Although the false neutrals were gone now the gearbox used to get stuck during downshifts. The frequency only increased with the increase in odometer reading.

I visited the service center and this time a senior mechanic took a look. Again they said that the clutch was not adjusted properly (last adjustment was done by their mechanic itself) and adjusted again. But the problem persisted.

On one occasion I was somehow saved from an accident because the the downshift failed and the bike stalled when I let out the clutch. This time I wrote to their customer service.

Customer care was quite prompt in their service and called me the next morning asking me about the problem. By evening I got a call from the service center asking me to bring my bike.

This time they took my bike at priority and every mechanic out there was called to take a look at my bike. Each one of them went for a test ride. They had a lot of discussion among themselves trying to sort out the issue. Again they concluded that it was the clutch adjustment.

After every test ride that each one of them took, they adjusted the clutch and finally called me. I had a mechanic as a pillion and this time the issue was resolved. From then on I never have never faced any issue and the bike is butter smooth.

So to conclude I definitely think Yamaha mechanics need to be trained much better. They fail to diagnose the problems. When they do find the problem they usually fix it but till then its already too late. They are very well trained for motorcycles such as the R15 but when it comes to other bikes and scooters they need to up their game.
Ibanez_70 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th October 2020, 12:58   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Apparently the whole batch of Yamaha Fascinos produced between September 2017 to March 2018 were affected by the issue, but the company (Yamaha) did not give an official recall to customers.
Just last week while filling petrol in my car I saw a Fascino rider waiting for his fill in front of me with his engine idling. It was vibrating like a tractor.
It indeed seems to be a widespread issue.

Last edited by gauravanekar : 5th October 2020 at 12:59.
gauravanekar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2020, 13:58   #7
BANNED

Quote:
Hey guys, here is the story of My Yamaha Fascino...
Wow!! Talk about being invested!! There are enthusiasts and then there are enthusiasts. You know where you belong. Good for you for having dug deep and for having stayed the course. And shame on Yamaha India for having shoddy QC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
..Washing one's hands off a problem is the easiest way out, but taking the damn thing head on and eliminating it is what makes you a victor !!!
Sau takka (100%)
mohansrides is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2020, 15:15   #8
BHPian

Quote:
I did not understand why they did not bill me the OTR price, instead gave me a GST bill of ex-showroom price.
Because the dealer sells you the vehicle for ex-showroom price. Road tax and insurance are charged by RTO and insurance provider respectively, thus are not mentioned in the tax invoice.

BTW, that's quite a nice read! Congratulations and happy motoring.
Pferdestarke is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2020, 15:55   #9

Thank you so much for such a detailed post on this problem. Much appreciated. Posts like these make Team-BHP invaluable in our Indian automobile market.
anaresh45 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2020, 19:12   #10
BHPian

I had a similar experience in 2013 when I purchased a Yamaha SS 125 motorcycle.

Right after my first free service there was a huge vibration only in the 4th gear and there was no way to fix it. I had unfortunately purchased my bike from pacer Yamaha Hebbal, which I got to know later are one of the worst dealers in Bangalore. Two of my friends had similar issues with their SZ r and FZ bike.

They continued to blame my riding style for this issue and advised that an overhaul of all the gear mechanism and maybe replacement of clutch will be required which will be entirely billed to me.
Which i declined and they happily did an oil change and handed over the bike to me.

Later within 3 months of purchase the bike used to stall at higher RPM for no reason and again they could not figure out the root cause.

I tried to different service centres of Yamaha and finally gave up after 18months of ownership. I could never used the fourth gear at all, a FNG workshop sort of confirmed that this was a lemon indeed.

I let go the bike for one third of the price at which I had bought and decided to never buy any thing from Yamaha ever again.

Happy that your fascino issue has been sorted out.

Last edited by SS80 : 5th October 2020 at 19:14. Reason: Spell check
SS80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2020, 09:40   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

WhiteSierra, kudos to your patience! Most owners would have just got frustrated with these issues, the lack of will and / or incompetence of the service centers and the lackadaisical attitude from Yamaha, and sold off the scooter.

As you mentioned, even if we consider that there are over 2,000 disgruntled owners who face(d) these issues with their Fascinos, all of them will strongly recommend their friends and neighbours to avoid Yamaha products at all costs. Why, Yamaha? I owned a Yamaha R15 for quite some time and the SVCs were always crowded and the technicians just wanted to get the bikes out the door one way or the other. It looks like nothing much has changed.

Anyways, the good thing is that these Yamaha products are built to last, now that your troubles are behind you, I am sure you will have many years of happy riding ahead of you. Do keep this thread updated, your posts here will already have greatly helped several Fascino owners who are saddled with incompetent SVCs in their respective cities.
neil.jericho is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th October 2020, 09:22   #12
Senior - BHPian

Amazing perservence.

Quote:
He called me one day and told that the issue is not with engine but with over tightening of engine mounts from factory., and the engine vibrations are causing direct vibrations on chassis and body due to overtightening.
Shocking it took them so much time to find out a seemingly logical problem. Wouldn't checking mounts be the first or second thing while troubleshooting NVH issues :S
amol4184 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th October 2020, 10:06   #13
BHPian

Isn't Fascino mechanically same scooter as Yamaha Ray except for cosmetic changes? It is quite surprising that you have faced so many issues. I had a Yamaha Ray from the 1st batch and it was absolutely niggle free for 7 years before I sold it off as it was not being used. It's handling was exemplary something which Activa owners can only dream of. For the negatives, engine wasn't nowhere smooth as Activa. Excellent review, I hope you have a trouble free ownership from now on.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks