Old 19th February 2021, 19:19   #61
BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Meteor 350 Review : 'Meteor'itic rise of a traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeshkmoorthy View Post

Accessories Update :

Move - Bike Tracker

Installed this "Move Lx31 Bike Tracker"
After a lot of thought, i got the Lx31 installed today. The process was simple. I got the product from a local dealer and then they arranged for the installation with MapmyIndia authorised personnel. The installation took about 30 - 40 mins.

Thanks to your detailed post, i made ready an old android phone as i use IOS device. Everything worked on IOS during the setup process except for the final step. Not sure what the issue is. Luckily having the old android helped. The setup took only 5 mins to complete. Uploaded the ID, address proofs for activation. After the setup was completed on android, the app on IOS is now working seamlessly.

My only concern is that the installation personnel was indicating that we need to turn on the bike at least once in 2 to 3 days as it might drain battery. I am not sure how much impact it will have if the bike is not turned on for few days as a result of travel or something.

Also, another important point to note is that using immobilizer for prolonged use will drain battery faster. So leaving the bike in immobilised state for a long period is not advisable (3 to 4 hours max). It should ideally be used only as a security feature and not as an option to set when we are not going to use bike for a long period (travel).

I am yet to test the other maps related feature. For now, the notifications and alerts seem to work well.
Vikashmalya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2021, 21:50   #62
BHPian

It has been about a month since I booked my Meteor. It was a little tough to wait till I received the bike, so I joined various Meteor owner groups on Facebook to live vicariously through their experiences.

One negative side effect is, I keep hearing about various issues in the bike, like tappet noise from the engine, noises from the brake discs, excessive heating from the engine, vibrations etc., from various people on these groups.

I do not mind waiting for the bike, but reading about all these issues is worrying me a little. This would be the first bike I would be owning ( i.e. Not my dad's bike). I do not know if these issues are coming from the bike, or if it's due to bad maintenance by the owners.

Could I get some feedback from people who've already received their bikes? Am I just getting worried unnecessarily? Are these issues that one can anyway expect from an RE?
Old 19th February 2021, 22:27   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinniedPo View Post

One negative side effect is, I keep hearing about various issues in the bike, like tappet noise from the engine, noises from the brake discs, excessive heating from the engine, vibrations etc., from various people on these groups.

Could I get some feedback from people who've already received their bikes? Am I just getting worried unnecessarily? Are these issues that one can anyway expect from an RE?
Hey WinniedPo, I took delivery in December first week, and owing to rains and other commitments, I'm was not able to ride the bike as much as I would love to. However, I've completed 3k Kms in these period, 2.8k in the 3k with pillion, and let me give you my experience.

tappet noise from the engine - I'm not facing any tappet noise so far.

noises from the brake discs - I'm not facing disc noise, however my friend claims there's a slight noise from rear disc in his Meteor. Though RE has promised to fix the issue in his 2nd service.

excessive heating from the engine - It's hard to quantify engine heat, but I'll try my best to give you a perspective. I used to ride a FZ25, and never have I felt the heat in that thing, even after riding in dense traffic for 2 hours, with pillion. When I do the same circuit in my Meteor, I can feel the heat, but I can vouch it's nothing alarming at all. Of late, I'm not evening noticing the heat. I also did a 300kms ride twice, maintaining 90-110kmph, once with and once without pillion, and the bike didn't heat up at all in the highways. So I'm very satisfied here.

vibrations - Some reviews give the Honda CB350's refinement only a slight edge over Meteor's, I hope that would given an idea on the vibrations. There are no-very very negligible vibrations in low and mid range, but nothing even close to those earlier RE 350s. There will be a mild buzz at times when accelerating quickly from lower speed, but once the RPM hits the sweet power band of the gear, the vibes vanish. Only post 110kmph, the vibrations become very noticeable and bike's strained, again nothing alarming. The bike remains rock solid at 120kmph.

Please let me know if you need any information, also feel free to DM me, should you have any queries.

Cheers!
GandalfTheGrey is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th February 2021, 12:44   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GandalfTheGrey View Post
Hey WinniedPo, I took delivery in December first week, and owing to rains and other commitments, I'm was not able to ride the bike as much as I would love to. However, I've completed 3k Kms in these period, 2.8k in the 3k with pillion, and let me give you my experience.
Hey, thanks for taking the time to reply in such detail. Getting feedback from someone, especially with 3k kms already in the bike, it's really helpful. I'll definitely keep these things in mind before making any decision. Thanks again!
WinniedPo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th February 2021, 14:19   #65
BHPian

Quote:
This is a 350cc single-cylinder. If you are moving up from a 100-200cc commuter bike you'll definitely find it hotter than usual. Though nothing can beat the oven that is the Duke
Tappet noise will be there for the first 3k kms. The engine has to set in and will take time to do so. After careful run in this will be negligible with regular maintenance.
Noise from disc brakes - you need to put some kms on the bike for the brakes and brake pads to set in.
Vibrations - seriously. If these people find the Meteor vibey they are better off getting an EV.

All the issues and complaints so far given on these Meteor forums are pretty amateurish. You need to understand that a bike needs time to run in and set in properly.
Have taken a 500km run bike up and down ECR for a good 300 kms on a weekend. None of the issues mentioned came up. No heating, No brake noise, no vibrations. Heck, I pushed the bike to 110 and found it to be smooth. This is leaps and bounds ahead of anything that RE has come up with in terms of refinement.

I do not own a Meteor but I have taken enough long test rides on it by now and used a friend's bike for a week to understand what the bike is like.
Be patient, when you get the bike take care of it and run it in properly, the bike will serve you well.
MadRasTan4986 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 20th February 2021, 22:42   #66
BHPian

Quote:
There is nothing to worry at all. You have made a very good decision and I can vouch for that.

I have ridden the meteor for 3k kms (250 kms with BHPian GandalfTheGrey) since I got this in December 2020.

There is a bit of heat but it’s not alarming. So don’t worry about that.

Vibrations - I used Electra before and sold it just because of its vibrations. But Meteor, I have taken it for long trips thrice and I can assure you that there is negligible vibrations at 120 kmph. The bike was able to contain speeds of 100-120 kmph without breaking a sweat.

So without any worries, get the bike and enjoy thousands of happy miles. All the very best.

On a side note, Meteor owners are increasing in Chennai and we can form a “Meteor Owners Group” once we get a considerable participation.

Last edited by rajeshkmoorthy : 20th February 2021 at 22:45.
rajeshkmoorthy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th February 2021, 22:47   #67
BHPian

Thank you for your replies MadRasTan4986 and rajeshkmoorthy.

I guess too much information is also not good, so I'm gonna tune out all that negative stuff I keep reading. I made my decision after plenty of research, and I've heard much good from you guys here on TeamBHP as well.

So, I'm just going to patiently wait and experience the bike for myself. Thanks again!

Last edited by WinniedPo : 20th February 2021 at 22:47. Reason: Spelling
WinniedPo is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2021, 21:27   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for your replies MadRasTan4986 and rajeshkmoorthy.

I guess too much information is also not good, so I'm gonna tune out all that negative stuff I keep reading. I made my decision after plenty of research, and I've heard much good from you guys here on TeamBHP as well.

So, I'm just going to patiently wait and experience the bike for myself. Thanks again!
With 1k on my Odo I have been very happy. Only grouse being not getting enough time to ride more. However the slight screech from rear brake has been observed. It is heard only when the brake is applied partially. When I apply brake completely, there is no sound. Need to follow up little and get it resolved. But that is minor given everything else that the bike does so well.
vishchan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2021, 12:33   #69
BHPian

Update -
My dealer reached out to me for a Clutch cable checkup, and the service personnel visited at my residence. I enquired about why they are doing this exercise, the service engineer mentioned that the RE crash guard can damage the clutch cable when routed through the loops provided on chassis. So they checked the cable, and routed the cable out of the cable.

He said they have seen some complaints and therefore, they are running this for all Meteor350 which bought the crash guard along with bike purchase.
vishchan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th April 2021, 15:02   #70

Hi, I booked RE Meteor 350 Customized in MIY, on March 14th. Official waiting time they mentioned is 4 months, but the sales person told me it could be delivered anywhere around 45 days.

Any idea of current delivery situation in Bangalore?
Can I expect it to be delivered in/around the 45 days?
Old 26th June 2021, 08:13   #71
BHPian

Update : 5500 kms

Had wonderful kms on the bike with some of my TBHP rider buddies in Chennai. Until now, the bike has not given any major issues. The bike reaches speeds of 120 kph with ease and without any vibrations. At times, at higher speeds, I find the vortex created by the vehicles in front of me (cars and buses alike) makes the bike a little unstable and had to reduce the speed to avoid it. Strangely, didn't face this issue while riding with a pillion.

The only issue I see is that the power provided by the factory fitted USB charging socket is insufficient. Whenever I use maps, the discharge rate is more than the charging rate. Tried with different mobile brands and it's still the case. Alternatively, As of now, my 10000 mAh power solves my purpose.

It's time for the mandatory second service. Gave it to my dealer and got it serviced without any issues. Told him the USB charging socket issue only to understand that no one in the service centre has any clue about what might be the problem. Anyways, have been planning to write to RE about this and will keep this group posted on the same.

The total cost for service was ₹374. The reason for the cost being such low is that I specifically asked the service guys NOT to top up engine oil as I have filled it with Shell engine oil.

Other Observations:
  1. The vehicle is super smooth when I fill it with "IOCL Xtra Premium". Not had this smoothness with other Premium brands. Don't know how / why.
  2. Vehicle was not used continuously for 30 days but still started without any issues on the 31st day.
  3. Touring accessories (Panniers to be specific) are still unavailable. The panniers that RE sells for Meteor does not solve my purpose. Need something like the "Himalayan" ones. Procuring saddle stay is also an issue. The ones available at Bandidos does not have a support rod to counter the downward force of the saddlebags
  4. Fuel efficiency is around 35-40 kmpl. Tested it twice during a mix of city (80%) and highway (20%) rides.

Looking forward to more and more wonderful rides with the TBHP Chennai group once this lockdown gets over.
Attached Thumbnails
Royal Enfield Meteor 350 Review : 'Meteor'itic rise of a traveller-meteor-2nd-free-service.jpg  

rajeshkmoorthy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th August 2021, 09:34   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeshkmoorthy View Post
The total cost for service was ₹374.
What is the recommended service interval?
Old 16th October 2021, 22:35   #73
BHPian

Hi All. Inspired by Rajesh's review and inspired by my friends, I have booked the Meteor Fireball version in custom green colour. I am told the waiting period is 3 months and will get the bike around beg Jan'22. Let's hope it's delivered earlier.

On road cost in Pune was 2.45 L including Helmet (open face)/Bike Cover/Welcome Kit/1+3 years warranty/3 years RSA/Engine guard. No discounts offered.

Ordered the back rest as an accessory. The touring seats will have to be fixed only when bike is delivered.

Am riding a bike after 18 years and plan to use it to go around the city and Pune to acclimatise myself.

I test drove the CB350 and RE both. The RE is supremely comfortable for the rider (am 6'1 and the pillion) as compared to the CB. The tall gearing of CB is also not very convenient to use in the city as it needs frequent gear changes. I preferred the riding position of the RE as well.

The Honda will be a fuss free ownership but Meteor just tugged at my heart.

Now searching for good riding gear. Shall keep you guys updated.
Palio_2005 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th October 2021, 08:56   #74
BHPian

Hi guys! I have been tracking the meteor for many months now. It's been nearly 2 decades since my regular riding days and have accrued 3 disc prolapses in the back bone in the interim. Despite multiple short test rides which convinced me of how beautifully engineered the bike is, worry about aggravating the back has kept me from buying one.

Most YouTube and media reviewers call it comfortable and one of the smoother rides. I haven't had the chance of doing a long ride yet. Any suggestions/feedback from owners regarding comfort levels on a road trip and regular commute. My commute is a 50km round trip on deteriorating Bangalore roads, 5-6 days per week. The heart has been tugging hard to get back on a bike ever since the meteor appeared on the horizon. But brain is warning against a middle-aged misadventure worth 2.5 lakhs.

Eagerly awaiting your advice and feedback!
Old 24th October 2021, 17:28   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shobhit.shri View Post
What is the recommended service interval?
Its once in 5000 kms / 6 Months - whichever is earlier.
rajeshkmoorthy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks