Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th January 2021, 00:27   #46
BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Meteor 350 Review : 'Meteor'itic rise of a traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikashmalya View Post
Hi Rajesh, As am waiting for my meteor to be delivered (tentatively feb), I was thinking if I should buy the gears before the delivery just to spread the cost.

Does RE provide any discount coupons or vouchers during delivery, if so I will wait till then.

Also, did you had a chance to compare with RE gear with other brands. I was contemplating RE Streetwind jacket to start with considering Chennai’s heat. How’s your experience with the RE gear so far has been.
Congrats on the booking.

Yes. you can buy the gears before the delivery so that you can be ready on day one. I bought my riding jacket, pants, helmet, gloves and saddle bags before the delivery. I took the bike on a long tour right on day two. If you are not in that kinda hurry (like me), you can even buy at your own pace. But, as you already know, get a good quality helmet (not the ones offered as free along with the bike), beforehand.

There was an offer for 20% in my dealer showroom. Check with the showroom that you booked on current offers. Also, you will get emails with discount codes as well, post booking.

No. I did not compare the gear with other brands before buying. I opted for CE2 certified gears withing RE itself and got one (Jacket and Gloves). My riding pants are from BBG and my helmet is from SMK. Riding jacket and gloves are good in keeping you safe from the elements. The jacket has a good amount of ventilation to keep you cool during those daytime rides. One thing about gloves is that you cannot operate your touch screen devices with it. A bit irritating if there is a call and you have to remove your gloves to even accept the call. There are brands that sell mobile-friendly gloves. Ensure to ask for the same while shopping.
rajeshkmoorthy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th January 2021, 08:53   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeshkmoorthy View Post
Congrats on the booking.

Yes. you can buy the gears before the delivery so that you can be ready on day one. I bought my riding jacket, pants, helmet, gloves and saddle bags before the delivery. I took the bike on a long tour right on day two. If you are not in that kinda hurry (like me), you can even buy at your own pace. But, as you already know, get a good quality helmet (not the ones offered as free along with the bike), beforehand.

There was an offer for 20% in my dealer showroom. Check with the showroom that you booked on current offers. Also, you will get emails with discount codes as well, post booking.

No. I did not compare the gear with other brands before buying. I opted for CE2 certified gears withing RE itself and got one (Jacket and Gloves). My riding pants are from BBG and my helmet is from SMK. Riding jacket and gloves are good in keeping you safe from the elements. The jacket has a good amount of ventilation to keep you cool during those daytime rides. One thing about gloves is that you cannot operate your touch screen devices with it. A bit irritating if there is a call and you have to remove your gloves to even accept the call. There are brands that sell mobile-friendly gloves. Ensure to ask for the same while shopping.
Thank you. I spoke with the dealership and understood that we don’t have any option to choose the helmet and neither can we exchange the free one with helmet of our choice. Like you said, I will then first invest in a good helmet and jacket, and then space out rest of my gear for later.
Vikashmalya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2021, 10:20   #48
BHPian

Congrats Rajesh! Nice choice of colour and accessories. Enjoyed reading your detailed review. I am waiting to see it in flesh and test ride the same when it arrives here in Sydney which is on 15th Feb. Pre-Orders are already open. Will be test riding it here and have plans for booking the same in Chennai replacing my 2015 Matt Black TB. More inclined towards Stellar Pure Black.

Enjoy this amazing machine and ride safe.
Chris_Xtreme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2021, 15:26   #49
BHPian

Congrats Rajesh. I recently took delivery of Meteor Supernova. I find the halogen bulbs are insufficient for night time drive. Have you upgraded to a higher wattage halogen bulb? If yes could you please let me know from where did you purchase? How's it compared to stock halogen bulb?
sabsubs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2021, 09:08   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabsubs View Post
Congrats Rajesh. I recently took delivery of Meteor Supernova. I find the halogen bulbs are insufficient for night time drive. Have you upgraded to a higher wattage halogen bulb? If yes could you please let me know from where did you purchase? How's it compared to stock halogen bulb?
Congrats on your purchase and wishing you much more happy (s)miles you your bike.

I have not replaced it yet but have plans to add some additional fog lights to the bike. Once I install, I will let you know the experience.
rajeshkmoorthy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2021, 10:21   #51
BHPian

Accessories Update:

Bluetooth Headset

Installed a new Bluetooth intercom system - Parani M10 by Sena on my SMK helmet couple of weeks back.

Box View
Royal Enfield Meteor 350 Review : 'Meteor'itic rise of a traveller-img_1605.jpeg

Capabilities
Royal Enfield Meteor 350 Review : 'Meteor'itic rise of a traveller-img_1606.jpeg

1. Four-Way Intercom
2. Bike to Bike Intercom
3. LCD Display
4. Voice Dials
5. FM Radio
5. Noise cancellation.

Price and other Geographical details
Royal Enfield Meteor 350 Review : 'Meteor'itic rise of a traveller-img_1607.jpeg

Unit's Physicals and Box Contents
Royal Enfield Meteor 350 Review : 'Meteor'itic rise of a traveller-img_1608.jpeg

Installations
Installation is very simple. I had it installed from the shop I bought in Vadapalani, Chennai (Bikerz Module). Mostly Plug-n-Play if your helmet has the requisite provisions. Below are the images after fitment.

Royal Enfield Meteor 350 Review : 'Meteor'itic rise of a traveller-picture-1.png

Coming to the usage:
  1. Looks / feels premium and well built
  2. You can press the Jog Dial button to accept the call or it connects the calls automatically after 5 seconds
  3. Has Jog dials for volume adjustments. Only the highest setting is right when you are riding (at least for me)
  4. Voice Clarity is very good. Both the sides are able to hear each other very well. Wind noises are very well contained from my side.
  5. Even though the device has provisions for FM radio, the quality of sound (more Treble and almost zero Bass) will prevent you from using that.
  6. Listening to Music - Don't even think about it if you are an audiophile.
  7. Conferencing - Haven't had the opportunity to try it yet.
  8. Battery Backup - I have used only on my day rides - mostly breakfast rides until now. I did not charge it after my initial charging and have gone to 4 rides after that and its not even two points down.

Why did I choose M10 over other headsets?
Price and my usage. The primary reason to buy this headset is to stay in touch with my family (specifically for my daughter whenever she misses me) .

So, spending 20K and above for a Bluetooth headset and paying for features which I will never use, seemed illogical for me. Did some internet search and found this. As this model was from Sena, didn't think twice before I bought it.

Type C Connector - Useful as we don't have to carry an additional charging cable.
Royal Enfield Meteor 350 Review : 'Meteor'itic rise of a traveller-img_1613.jpeg

Loaded and ready for the ride!!
Royal Enfield Meteor 350 Review : 'Meteor'itic rise of a traveller-img_1614.jpeg

That's all for now folks.

If you would like to understand more, BHPian @iamahunter has covered it in his post here (Parani M10 Review - Bluetooth Motorcycle Intercom System by SENA)
rajeshkmoorthy is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 12th February 2021, 11:20   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Congrats on your purchase and wishing you much more happy (s)miles you your bike.

I have not replaced it yet but have plans to add some additional fog lights to the bike. Once I install, I will let you know the experience.
Thank you Rajesh. I have installed Mad Dog aux lights. I bought the entire set from their website. However I need a better headlight bulb. I will post few pictures of Mad Dog installation in this thread if you don't mind. BTW I am planning for the bluetooth set that you have bought. Thank you very much for updating this thread, this thread could become reference for many Meteor owners.
sabsubs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th February 2021, 14:21   #53
BANNED

Hi Rajesh, the Bluetooth set looks fantastic. Can you pls specify it's IP rating against dust and water, thanks!!
Old 12th February 2021, 19:00   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vittalnrv View Post
Can you pls specify it's IP rating against dust and water, thanks!!
The company has not provided any IP rating for the device. I checked it on the manual and its US site as well before buying.
Old 12th February 2021, 19:50   #55
Senior - BHPian

Careful. I'd fixed the Parani to my helmet and the unit fell off, after 4 weeks. The glue isn't strong. Then I had numerous issues like disconnection, and an irritating buzz when it reconnected. Parani doesn't have service in India and has to be shipped to Korea at buyer's cost, for repairs (Same with Sena)
Quote:
Installed a new Bluetooth intercom system - Parani M10 by Sena on my SMK helmet couple of weeks back.
Sebring is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th February 2021, 14:54   #56
BHPian

Accessories Update :

Move - Bike Tracker

Installed this "Move Lx31 Bike Tracker" by MapMyIndia

Why do I need a Tracker?
  1. My bike is predominantly used for touring. When I visit some of the remote places, I needed a safer alternative than "staying awake and guarding my bike".
  2. Wanted to give my wife some peace of mind that I am safe and helps her in seeing me where I am. In case if my vehicle is stagnant at a single place, she immediately calls me. (Yes, She worries a lot)
  3. Need a tracking device in case the vehicle is stolen and can immediately immobilize it.

This was suggested by the shop owner from where I bought my Param10 bluetooth headset. Did some research and called the installation guy and asked for additional details. It seems that they supply the tracking devices for both Ola, Uber and almost all corporate and private buses. So w.r.t serviceability, not an issue. Went ahead and bought it from the same shop that suggested.

Royal Enfield Meteor 350 Review : 'Meteor'itic rise of a traveller-move-box-top-view.jpeg

Royal Enfield Meteor 350 Review : 'Meteor'itic rise of a traveller-move-box-back-side.jpeg

Price and other Geographical details.
Royal Enfield Meteor 350 Review : 'Meteor'itic rise of a traveller-move-model-details.jpeg

Technical Specifications
Royal Enfield Meteor 350 Review : 'Meteor'itic rise of a traveller-screenshot-20210214-1.43.10-pm.png

There is a service engineer's number that I was supposed to call. I was told not to open the seal / package until the installation engineer arrives. I called and fixed up an appointment the very next day. Installation was fast and was done in 30 mins.

Meanwhile, I downloaded the app from PlayStore (Please note that we cannot setup the device for first time in an Apple device. ONLY Android devices support setting up) and completed the setup. Below are the documents required as soft copies for registration as the device comes with an inbuilt SIM card.
  1. ID Proof - Aadhaar Card
  2. Address Proof - Aadhaar Card
  3. Passport Size Photograph
  4. Vehicle Picture (Front and Back - Displaying the regn number clearly)

Registration process will take some time and in that time, the engineer completed the installation. Once its installed, you can download the same app on your Apple devices and can use it as a primary as well.

Royal Enfield Meteor 350 Review : 'Meteor'itic rise of a traveller-img_1654.png

Once the device is installed, registered and working, below is the home screen that you see.
Royal Enfield Meteor 350 Review : 'Meteor'itic rise of a traveller-move-devices-home-view.jpeg Royal Enfield Meteor 350 Review : 'Meteor'itic rise of a traveller-move-current-location.jpeg

The home page gives you your vehicle's and your mobile phone's (from where you are accessing the app) live location. Location is provided in terms of both Physical address and displayed on the Map as well. The page also displays whether your vehicle is ON or OFF or PARKED. The battery status of the GPS Device is also provided on the screen. If you input your Odo reading, the system also calculates the approximate Odo reading and displays it on the app's Home Screen.

Next screen is the "Alarm" screen where all of your alarms are displayed. You can customise alarms. I have customised just for "Ignition ON/OFF" and "Device Plugged/Unplugged" status.

Royal Enfield Meteor 350 Review : 'Meteor'itic rise of a traveller-move-alarm-settings.jpeg

If you Switch On/Off your vehicle, you get a notification on your mobile with the location details as well.

Royal Enfield Meteor 350 Review : 'Meteor'itic rise of a traveller-move-alert-messages.jpeg

Next and important feature that I liked is the immobiliser. With this, you can switch off your vehicle remotely (immediately as long as there is a signal / as soon as the vehicle reaches a network coverage area). Once you give an instruction, the app sends you an OTP via SMS. Once you enter the OTP and submit, the system shuts down your vehicle and you cannot restart it again until you give the instructions from your app with OTP.

Royal Enfield Meteor 350 Review : 'Meteor'itic rise of a traveller-img_1662-1.jpeg Royal Enfield Meteor 350 Review : 'Meteor'itic rise of a traveller-move-immobilizer-settings-01.jpeg Royal Enfield Meteor 350 Review : 'Meteor'itic rise of a traveller-move-immobilizer-settings-02.jpeg

IMPORTANT NOTE : Installing the immobiliser involves cutting wires and joining them. This will affect your warranty. For me, I took this risk as the safety of the vehicle was most important to me than warranty. I am sure many of you will not agree to this and this was a conscious decision that I took.

You can also setup Geo Fencing and set an alert as well. I didn't setup geofencing as I felt that the Switch ON/OFF alarm would be sufficient. I will setup geofencing when I am giving the bike for servicing.

Royal Enfield Meteor 350 Review : 'Meteor'itic rise of a traveller-move-geofencing-settings.jpeg

One more feature that I liked is that you can see the entire day's trail from your app as well. You can replay the trail and that will give you the route taken, speed with which the vehicle was travelling. Sweet feature. The playback speed can be altered upto three times the normal speed.

Royal Enfield Meteor 350 Review : 'Meteor'itic rise of a traveller-move-days-trail.jpeg

You can also store your vehicle documents, driver details etc on your app as well.

Royal Enfield Meteor 350 Review : 'Meteor'itic rise of a traveller-vehicle-details.jpeg

Its been almost 3 trips that I undertook and the system was working very well. The system uses less battery and does not pose a threat to the vehicle's battery life.

IMHO, this is a "must have" if you are a tourer.

I will keep updating this thread with any issues as and when it occurs.

Thanks for reading.
rajeshkmoorthy is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 15th February 2021, 19:26   #57
BHPian

Quote:

Accessories Update :

Move - Bike Tracker

Installed this "Move Lx31 Bike Tracker" by MapMyIndia
Hi Rajesh, could you please let me know from where you got it installed. I am planning to buy it but not sure where to get it installed.
sabsubs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2021, 19:49   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabsubs View Post
Hi Rajesh, could you please let me know from where you got it installed. I am planning to buy it but not sure where to get it installed.
I got it installed in Chennai. I can see that you are in Bangalore. I am sure that there will be someone in Bangalore area to install the device.

The shop from where I bought, gave me the MapMyIndia's engineer number. I called and fixed up the appointment and he came to my place and installed it.
Old 15th February 2021, 23:23   #59
BHPian

Quote:
I got it installed in Chennai.

The shop from where I bought, gave me the MapMyIndia's engineer number. I called and fixed up the appointment and he came to my place and installed it.
Thank you Rajesh for the post. I had no idea such a device existed for bikes.

With regard to the device, I have a few queries:
1. The price of the device is quoted as 2990 on site with 250 for immobiliser. Are there any additional charges for subscriptions/ installation?
2. I saw a YouTube video that the wires will not be cut for installation of the device to ensure the bike’s warranty stays intact. In your post you had indicated otherwise. Would they have to cut the wires? Is it advisable?
3. Is this subscription based and do we have to renew it yearly?
Old 16th February 2021, 13:19   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikashmalya View Post
Thank you Rajesh for the post. I had no idea such a device existed for bikes.

With regard to the device, I have a few queries:
1. The price of the device is quoted as 2990 on site with 250 for immobiliser. Are there any additional charges for subscriptions/ installation?
2. I saw a YouTube video that the wires will not be cut for installation of the device to ensure the bike’s warranty stays intact. In your post you had indicated otherwise. Would they have to cut the wires? Is it advisable?
3. Is this subscription based and do we have to renew it yearly?
Hi,
My answers below:
  1. Installation charges : Rs. 300 which you have to pay to the engineer post installation. No subscription charges for the first year. From second year onwards, you have to pay 1,800 per year to continue the features.
  2. For normal installation, its plug-n-play. If you want the immobiliser to be installed and activated, you would have to cut the wires and join them (at least for Meteor 350). This was communicated well in advance by the engineer who came for the installation. Advisable - I won't, as it will negate your warranty. In my case, it was a conscious decision post weighing the consequences.
  3. Yes. First year free. Post that 1800 per year.
rajeshkmoorthy is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks