Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which would you prefer?
Cruiser 53 13.42%
Adventure Sport 66 16.71%
Tourer 38 9.62%
Commuter 10 2.53%
Sports 49 12.41%
Street Naked 71 17.97%
Dirt 5 1.27%
Retro Classic 99 25.06%
Other (please specify in your post) 4 1.01%
Voters: 395. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2020, 07:25   #1
Team-BHP Support

Your preferred motorcycle style

Back in the 1980s, there was hardly any choice for 2-wheeler lovers when it came to choosing a type of motorcycle. All bikes available in the market were of the standard / commuter style. Now however, there are bikes of numerous styles at various price points in the market. One can choose a bike that suits his / her needs, riding style or personality. So what is your preferred style of motorcycle?

1. Cruiser -
Cruisers are designed to do exactly what their name suggests - cruise at steady speeds for long distances. These bikes have low seat heights, high handlebars. with engines varying in size depending upon the brand and price.
Your preferred motorcycle style-indian.jpg

2. Adventure Sport -
Adventure Sports motorcycles are the crossovers of the biking world. They have recently become very popular as they can do a bit of everything - cruising, off-roading, camping, etc. They come with higher seat heights, off-road suspension and can be fitted with off-road tyres.
Your preferred motorcycle style-tiger.jpg

3. Tourer -
Tourers are large engined motorcycles fitted with all the features required for cross-country touring. They have fairings and storage compartments to carry a lot of luggage. They have a relaxed riding position to allow riders to spend long hours in the saddle.
Your preferred motorcycle style-goldwing.jpg

4. Commuter -
The most common type of motorcycle you'll see on the roads. In general, commuter motorcycles have smaller displacement engines and are reliable and easy to maintain. Easy to maneuver in urban traffic, these are great if you are looking to get from Point A to Point B.
Your preferred motorcycle style-bajaj.jpg

5. Sports -
Sports bikes are made from lightweight materials, have full fairings and and are designed for for speed and agility. Built for performance, they have forward-leaning riding positions and high revving engines.
Your preferred motorcycle style-blade.jpg

6. Street Naked -
Naked bikes are generally sports bikes with the fairing removed and flatter handlebars to make the riding position less aggressive. Their engines are detuned as well.
Your preferred motorcycle style-street.jpg

7. Dirt / Road legal Enduro -
Dirt bikes are off-road motorcycles, which, as the name suggests are meant for off-roading. They have taller seat heights, off-road suspension and are lightweight. While many of these machines are not street legal, you do get some road legal ones as well.
Your preferred motorcycle style-klx-110a.jpg
Your preferred motorcycle style-yam.jpg

8. Retro Classic -
Classic looks are irresistible to most. Couple them with modern mechanicals and you have some of the coolest machines on the road. Think Royal Enfield Bullet, Triumph Bonneville, Jawa, etc.
Your preferred motorcycle style-jawa.jpg

Last edited by Aditya : 20th November 2020 at 07:29.
Aditya is online now   (31) Thanks
Old 20th November 2020, 07:30   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Your preferred motorcycle style

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line.
Aditya is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 20th November 2020, 08:18   #3
Senior - BHPian

Can't take the poll because, we're sort of people who likes to RIDE...
Fatboy on Sunday
Monster on Monday
Triumph on Tuesday
Indian on Wednesday
T100 on Thursday
F850 on Friday
CBR on Saturday

and then...
K1600 on vacation
RD350 for errands
VFR for short trips
CBX to energize
H2 to recharge
KTM to calm down
R1 on festivals

And what I'm sure is, I'm not alone...aren't you too?

Note - And I feel guilty of being partial not to have mentioned Splendor to Rx to GSX to Bonneville & what those bikes think being singled out :(

Last edited by aargee : 20th November 2020 at 08:20.
aargee is offline   (55) Thanks
Old 20th November 2020, 08:45   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
And what I'm sure is, I'm not alone...aren't you too?
Absolutely. With practical constraints of budget and parking - I personally feel road oriented ADVs are the best bet for our market. If someone could keep multiple bikes from both parking and budget POV - having the best of everything is a dream formula.

That said - I voted for retro classic. Budget no bar, I'd like a Kawasaki Z900RS to keep for life, to ride till the world stops oil production and motorcycles only make the whirring whine of an electric!

Your preferred motorcycle style-2018kawasakiz900rsfeatured.jpg
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 20th November 2020, 09:17   #5
BHPian

Well that's the beauty of our biking enthusiasm. There's no preferred bike style.

I'd want-
A Street Naked till I'm 25(already have one, although from the budget segment).
A Sports tourer for when the highway calls.
A classic when my body starts to give up.
An ADV to complement the classic for the oldie me.
And finally retire with a highway cruiser(read:Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster,can't stop drooling over that bike).

Last edited by Abhi5868 : 20th November 2020 at 09:19.
Abhi5868 is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 20th November 2020, 09:39   #6
Team-BHP Support

This is from a non-biker. I have ridden only for two months, about 18 years back. Had a crash and gave up biking. I never fancied one until I saw the Honda CB350 recently. And boy, did it pull the heartstrings!!

Voted for retro purely because of this reason.
Eddy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th November 2020, 09:41   #7
Senior - BHPian

Voted Retro Classic. Most of the Retro bikes you can buy today started life as a naked bike which has been modified to look traditional. My CB350 looks the part without sacrificing all the modern tech. Its rear unit exemplifies retro in true sense. And that's my bike style
Attached Thumbnails
Your preferred motorcycle style-img_9891.jpg  

Sebring is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th November 2020, 09:48   #8
Senior - BHPian

I really wish the poll had check boxes instead of radio buttons. When it comes to motorcycles, one is never enough

I missed the sport tourer category in the list, which I prefer the most. It is like a hybrid between the Street Naked and Sports category. It is faired, but not too committed like the typical sports bikes, while providing that wind protection on highway rides and also being comfortable with a slight forward lean

Despite the popularity, I have never tried the Adventure tourer category, and somehow feel I will not find that category all that inviting.

Last edited by aravind.anand : 20th November 2020 at 09:49.
aravind.anand is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 20th November 2020, 09:49   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Basic Q - don't the current set of Retro Classic bikes also portray as Cruisers? Also haven't the Enfield always been a cruiser option in India historically?

Considering the examples and audience is aligned to the Indian market primarily, voted for 'cruiser' coz that's what I plan to do (and doing) with my Interceptor.
ninjatalli is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th November 2020, 10:02   #10
BHPian

Voted for cruiser, I would have equally preferred retro classic.

Poll results are in stark contrast to our market sales and model offerings, it appears there is a mismatch between aspiration and affordability.

Recently I test drove Honda H’ness and Royal Enfield Meteor. The latter is very tempting, a nice balance of Retro and Cruiser style.

Last edited by Thermodynamics : 20th November 2020 at 10:06.
Thermodynamics is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2020, 10:05   #11
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Another non-biker vote! From all the styles I've ridden, my favourite is the sports bike. Love the stance & the performance . Because a motorcycle will never be a daily for me (at best, a weekend toy), I am totally okay with compromising practicality for feel & performance.

Your preferred motorcycle style-imag0284.jpg
GTO is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 20th November 2020, 10:11   #12
BHPian

As many have pointed out, poll should allow multiple selection as I want a bit of all of them. Since its a pipe dream for most of us , its commuter for me as it is practical and allows a lot of DIY.

That said, I am a sucker for either completely faired curvies like say First Gen Hayabusa

Your preferred motorcycle style-hayabusa.jpg

or a fully naked retro classic like Honda CB750.

Your preferred motorcycle style-cb750-1969-3.jpg
srini1785 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th November 2020, 10:12   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
This is from a non-biker. I have ridden only for two months, about 18 years back. Had a crash and gave up biking. I never fancied one until I saw the Honda CB350 recently. And boy, did it pull the heartstrings!! Voted for retro purely because of this reason.
As my father had the same experience with a CD100 in his younger days as Moderator Eddy, I was never allowed a geared two-wheeler. But our old Kinetic Honda did change my perspective. But still two-wheelers play a beater role in our household. However, if I ever put my money into one, it has to be one of the retro classics only as I am smitten by them! I have a list too!
1. A Royal Enfield single cylinder if I absolutely cannot afford anything more.
2. An Interceptor 650 or Honda CB350 (would have loved a tachometer though on the Honda) if I can stretch.
3. A Z900RS like Moderator CrAzY dRiVeR if I can splurge!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Budget no bar, I'd like a Kawasaki Z900RS to keep for life
However, if I could, I will definitely get myself an old 2 stroke twin cylinder with twin exhausts, if laws and my age permit!
Your preferred motorcycle style-jawa_350.jpg
Photo sourced from Wikipedia.

Last edited by Researcher : 20th November 2020 at 10:18.
Researcher is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th November 2020, 10:20   #14
BHPian

Sports on weekends ( A Hayabusa or a MV Agusta F4) and a Retro Classic as a Daily such as a Z900 RS or MV Agusta Superveloce 75 Anniversario (Neo classic Cafe racer).

Your preferred motorcycle style-mvagustasuperveloce75anniversariolimitededition.jpg
Your preferred motorcycle style-mvagustasuperveloce75anniversariolimitededitionimage2.jpg
Your preferred motorcycle style-mvagustasuperveloce75anniversariolimitededitionrearqtr.jpg
punterccrx8s is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th November 2020, 10:20   #15
BHPian

Great thread, I was thinking of starting a similar one! Voted for Sports. Here's my (relatively humble) crush:

Your preferred motorcycle style-images-19.jpeg
TheHelix0202 is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks