Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2020, 10:08   #1
Senior - BHPian

Honda Activa : 20 years & 2 crore customers up

This year, the Honda Activa is celebrating its 20th anniversary. To this day, Honda has sold over 2 crore units of the scooter which is now in its 6th generation.

Honda Activa : 20 years & 2 crore customers up-activa-6g-20th-year-anniversary-edition.jpg

To mark this occasion, Honda has launched the Activa 6G 20th Anniversary Edition. It comes in a new Matte Mature Brown colour with matching rear grab rails and special decals. It has an embossed 20th Year Anniversary logo and a special golden Activa logo. Other changes include black steel wheels, brown inner cover and seats and black crankcase cover.

The Activa 6G is powered by a 109.51cc, single-cylinder, fuel-injected engine that produces 7.68 BHP @ 8,000 rpm and 8.79 Nm @ 5,250 rpm. It is paired with a continuously variable transmission.

The Activa 6G 20th Anniversary Edition is available in 2 variants - Standard & Deluxe priced at Rs. 66,816 and Rs. 68,316 (ex-showroom, Gurugram) respectively.

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 27th November 2020 at 10:09.
TusharK is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th November 2020, 10:38   #2
BHPian

Re: Honda Activa : 20 years & 2 crore customers up

I was in high school when the first activa came out. We had a Kinetic Honda then, and honestly the main difference we felt was the four stroke engine and slightly better handling in the activa. But that was good enough for its success. The extra mileage, lack of the annoying 2 stroke smoke and smell was good enough to woo a lot of buyers in from the Kinetic and TVS scooty. The segment grew over the years and many companies like Bajaj tried to enter it without success. In fact the Sapphire from Bajaj was so bad that the company quit the scooter business completely, until recently. The Activa had almost no competitor in the initial years. Kinetic tried bolting a 4 stroke motor to their 25 year old scooter frame, but that did not succeed.

In a way, Honda did to the scooter industry in the 2000s what it did back in the 90s- changed it completely. Before the Kinetic honda, chetak and LML scooters were the only ones in the market and they were too laborious for many to operate. Kinetic honda brought in the modern scooter with an electric start, automatic gearshift and decent reliability. Honda did the same with the activa in the 2000s.

Last edited by Cessna182 : 27th November 2020 at 10:40.
Cessna182 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2020, 10:46   #3
BANNED

Everything related to Honda Activa in terms of performance, comfort, reliability is phenomenal except for one thing - "LED HEADLIGHT". (wish we could use more smiley's).

• Never have I seen the beam adjusted to the proper height from either from the factory or at ASC;

• 99.9% riders use it on high beam ONLY.

• None of them knows that there is a switch to put that headlight in low beam to save the oncoming vehicle driver's vision.

It has become a literal menace on the road and no one is bothered to use low beam even when the oncoming vehicle flashes.

Last edited by a4anurag : 27th November 2020 at 10:49.
a4anurag is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 27th November 2020, 10:49   #4
Senior - BHPian

If there was an epitome of the "Fill it, shut it, and forget it vehicle", this was it.

Starting from the 97.2 cc engine powering this workhorse, I really enjoyed riding my friends' Activas throughout my 4 years at college. I've seen some 15 year activas feeling as smooth as new ones. Honda has kept up over the years and given the Activa some reasonable updates.
landcruiser123 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 27th November 2020, 12:21   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
None of them knows that there is a switch to put that headlight in low beam to save the oncoming vehicle driver's vision.
From my personal experience that's not the case. People "do know" that the switch exists; "upper/dipper" switch but even after explaining them the hazards of keeping it on high beam the whole time they still choose to keep it on high beam.

Reason 1: I can't see the road clearly using low beam.
Reason 2: Oncoming traffic is blinding me so why should I care about them?
Reason 3: The oncoming traffic won't see me clearly in low beam.

The solution would be to have auto low-high beam like BMW, Mercs and all
RavSam is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th November 2020, 12:33   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Heck of an achievement, have to appreciate it!

I rarely get to ride gear-less scooters, I usually use a bike. The only time I've used an Activa is on holiday. Am away from home right now for an extended period and have been renting an Activa on weekends to explore the place and gotta say I get the convenience factor, but it is a real mystery to me how this bike sells so well! It corners badly, an incline in the road will see it run out of steam, the suspension is really not confidence-inspiring, and the brakes and tyres are downright scary! Obviously I'm comparing this with a bike, and I've seen people do some crazy things on an Activa. Or could be I'm trying to ride the scooter like I would a bike and that's not the thing to do.

But I also think it's just the lack of any well-designed competition in this segment that makes this bike sell so well.

Before the Activa owners and fans get on me, I reiterate, still a great achievement to sell in such numbers and so it certainly must be the best choice in this segment.

(Waiting for a well-designed e-scooter at the same price point though!)

Last edited by am1m : 27th November 2020 at 12:42.
am1m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2020, 12:36   #7
BHPian

Activa had total 6 generations of model in these 20 years. So, an average of 3.5 years for each generation.
But nothing major changed within all these years regarding basic structure. Only few tweaks here and there regarding suspension, led lights and engine updates to meet the norms.
Honda might be doing something right somewhere.

Many scooters came, tried to compete and withered away but Activa survived.
I don't have any hope left with any other scooter manufacturers to compete with them. Only hope I have is with Volkswagen with their Polos and Ventos to compete with Activa in launching more generations of cars without altering the basic structure.
DrCar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th November 2020, 13:00   #8
KPR
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
But I also think it's just the lack of any well-designed competition in this segment that makes this bike sell so well.
I beg to differ here. There is competition which Indian customer ignores. There are good designs (and specifications) available in market. Since long TVS has been giving good scooters as compared to Honda be it in suspension front or power deliveries or even cost wise. I see TVS is like Hyundai for cars. It's just the herd mentality of Indians. What MS to cars is Honda to Scooter now. In southern states including rural towns TVS scooters are seen. In Northern states TVS scooter or bike is a rarity except metro cities.
KPR is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th November 2020, 13:43   #9
BHPian

What a scooter Honda got in. Inspite of competition from TVS, Suzuki, Hero there was never a slight of the slowdown for Activa. Perfect family scooter which every indian family could have.

Coming to scooter, the low end and mid range are super and high revvs are not that smooth. This shows what is the usage pattern of Indian people in city drives

Activa ticks all the parameters, style, performance, reliability and service, not to forget the amazing resale. What else could any customer would need.

"Amazing Unisex Scooter" No wonder it sailed 20 years and would count for many more decades
tirumalavoleti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2020, 13:49   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Or could be I'm trying to ride the scooter like I would a bike and that's not the thing to do.
Exactly :-)

I tried TVS wego first time on smooth traffic less road after 10+ years driving of bike. There was a slight curve which my scooter could not handle and I was so panic of hitting the sideway. I thought there was some serious wrong with the road. Later used a bike on the same road with a confident navigation. Realised the dynamics of the scooter in a unpleasant way

Its not the thing to do :-)
tirumalavoleti is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th November 2020, 14:15   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
I've seen some 15 year activas feeling as smooth as new ones. Honda has kept up over the years and given the Activa some reasonable updates.
Mine is 16+ years old Activa and I am in no mood to part with it. Initial 3 years, i rode it for around 18k kms and then 6k kms in next 6 years. Since then only 3k kms in last 7 years. I know the mileage is bad compared to the recent gen Activas, but i don't want to replace it at any cost!
Last year i got the FC done and now i need not worry for 4 more years
kavensri is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th November 2020, 14:44   #12
BHPian

As one of the 2 crore customers (mine is 2010 vintage), my 2 cents on this milestone: Activa is indeed a reliable and trustworthy workhorse. The only thing I hate about it is the crappy suspension, particularly the front one which crashes into every single pothole with a bone-jarring thud. The later ones (125cc etc) which came with telescopic suspension were much much better.

On a lighter note, I suspect there will be a huge market/demand in future for good doctors specializing in backpain, slip disc etc. thanks to Activa.
Old 27th November 2020, 15:40   #13
Senior - BHPian

Wow! 20 years!
The faith that Honda had in the Activa, and its persistence with this product in the initial years, is now paying big dividends. But that is just 50% of the story. All other 2-wheeler companies in India contributed to the Activa's success as well.
At the turn of the century, as the country started imposing emission norms and 2-stroke engines began their decline, the Kinetic Honda was on its way out. Enter the Honda Activa. At the same time, all other 2-wheeler manufacturers bet big on motorcycles and did not invest in, develop, or manufacture scooters. Even Bajaj, once synonymous with scooters, took the decision to concentrate exclusively on motorcycles.
A few short years later, Honda was the only manufacturer selling a decent mass market scooter. Relatively small numbers, but they had a virtual monopoly. In 2009, the market started demanding scooters, and that is when the "Activa" gained its now immense brand value. In the years 2010 and 2011, there was so much demand that one waited 3-6 months for an Activa!!
KiloAlpha is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th November 2020, 09:26   #14
BHPian

Honda undertook cost-cutting measures with each update on the Activa. The vintage 100cc and the original 110cc(2009-2011) had the best part quality.
The sheet metal was thicker, plastic panels and paint retained their shine longer on them. This is coming from riding and experiencing 5 generations of the Activa.

Also, the first-gen 110cc Activa has the highest top speed till date
The later models came with shorter gearing and a smoother gearbox.
Radiator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2020, 12:29   #15
BHPian

It’s definitely one of the better scooters, otherwise it would had not been that much successful. I had the first gen Activa from 2006 to 14 and it never gave any problem. In 2018 I got a Maestro edge and it has just been so problematic that I have completely lost my faith in Hero. Looking to go back to Activa ASAP.
Aakash118 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks