Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2020, 11:55   #31
BHPian

Re: What should I do with my Yamaha RX135?

Get rid of the past. Notwithstanding, the emotional and nostalgic value. Sell it off, invest in your new ride and cherish the memories. Time is money. Utilize it for other activities.
ciddharth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2020, 14:49   #32
BHPian

RX is an emotion and I don't think anyone here can help you to take an emotional decision. But I would like to share some practical information for you.

If you decide to sell it, don't sell the bike to anyone outside TN. Getting the papers transferred to another state, especially KL is a nightmare. It will take a minimum of 6months and more than 10k and it may never happen.
Romins is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2020, 15:05   #33
BHPian

I would say keep the RX. As others suggested, you can use the RX for short errands or joyrides and keep the bigger bike for regular use. I regret selling my dad's RX100 till date(1987-2014). These bikes are the last real connect to man and motorcycle before tech takes over the joy of riding. Again, to each, their own
jithin23 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th December 2020, 15:09   #34
BHPian

2 strokes are an emotional decision and I would just say, try to keep it somehow. But there could be practicality in it, as you might get an awesome deal with good patience. 35k for a well kept RX is not a good deal (a slight drop in performance doesn't degrade it).

I know its more of an emotional decision, but it all depends on which stage of life you're at... One day, even this life won't exist you know, so what legacy can we drag around, and uptill what extent, may I ask?
You don't have a bigger history with anything else but your own body, and even the damn body separates one day.. Everything(/person) has an age.

My now ageing 2013 Duke 390 is a part of me, even the idea of selling it makes my eyes heavy.. but its my third bike of life, and showing signs and like I said, everything has an age.
Denial mode won't change a thing, not for you, not for my Duke either...

My suggestion: Don't sell the RX. Get a second bike, compromise on the second bike, get a smaller bike, no need for 350cc. Get the FZ25 for example, or get the Suzuki's equivalent 250cc single, the naked one, what's it called, the GSXR 250 or so.
You can't tour on the RX, you can't ride heavy in city either, so have a second bike which does most things right.
First let the second bike settle in your life well, then think about what to do with RX.
Samarth 619 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2020, 17:02   #35
BHPian

No. Don't sell the RX, you will miss it every day and every time you will spot one on the road you will curse yourself for selling it. Keep you Rx for short rides and get a new 4S for everything else. I have been in your shoes and have sold my rx100 for similar money but I repurchased. Now I have 2 RX and an Apache 200 for long rides
utkarshshukla92 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2020, 18:49   #36
BHPian

Quote:
The mechanic is willing to buy the motorcycle for around 35K.
That’s way too less a quote to be honest . I still have my 97 model RXZ. Although I don’t use it much, just occasional start up and joy rides. I can guarantee you that you will get a better price in Bangalore .

2 strokes are a diff breed,no 4 stroke vehicle can match it. Period. Please keep the vehicle if your financials permit. I have seen far too many people regretting their decision to sell.
vj_torqueaddict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2020, 20:19   #37
BHPian

I don't envy your position. If you have a place to park it, I say keep it because there will never be another two stroke motorcycle made in india . RX135s are a rarity as it is and what the mechanic is offering you for a single owner RX is peanuts. I am sure that motorcycle in decently restored condition will easily fetch you 65-70k minimum. Seeing that you couldn't bring yourself to make a decision to sell it and had to turn to tbhp tells me that you still have a lot of attachment to your bike . I still have a 1984 Yezdi roadking that my father bought brand new. We restored it back in 2014 for its fitness test and still use it once in a while for trips to the market or just a lazy Sunday morning ride. Yes it's slowly falling apart and spare parts and competent mechanics are becoming hard to find but there are just too many childhood memories associated with it that I wouldn't even dream about selling it. It was the first vehicle of any sort in our family and I've lost count of how many of my uncles and cousins learnt to ride on it. I can't explain why but sometimes when I pass by that old bike, that smell of petrol brings a big smile to my face. It still gets looks from teenage boys to old uncles and once in a while people come looking to see if it is up for sale. If you can get a new bike without having to sell the yamaha, then great. Maybe your kids and grandkids would love to own a retro bike To me, modern mass produced bikes just don't have the soul of an old bike but maybe that's just how I feel. The only thing I fear is the govt outright banning 2 strokes and refusing to renew it's fitness certficate but even then I think I would still keep it and maybe ride around in our locality.
windrider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2020, 22:00   #38
BHPian

I was never a Yamaha or RX fan boy. But my brother-in-law one day said, that he'd love to ride an RX100. So to surprise him, I painstakingly began searching OLX and found a single owner, average condition bike for a mouthwatering price. I bought it from the gentleman and spent an additional 1500 bucks to change fluids, cables and rode from Trivandrum to Kottayam. I didn't realise what the fuzz about this 2 strokes was all about as I was driving it like a Royal Enfield.

After gifting it to my BIL on his b'day, he was excited for a few weeks, but then began neglecting it and I found him using it like a regular 4 stroke which really made me upset as he didn't appreciate the machine at all. One day he himself told me that I can take it back. So I took it back and decided to sell it right away. While riding back, another Yamaha RX100 overtook me and it was literally flying, even with a heavy set rider. I thought "how come my bike was not doing that" and called a friend who owned one. He said, "try it with wide open throttle" . I tried WOT and LO my perspective changed. RX begs to be revved. I had new found respect for the bike, even though bike is minuscule for my frame.

After I bought my Xpulse 6 months later, I decided to sell RX 100 again, but each time I kick start the RX and take it for a spin, my mind plays games with me. There is no logical reason for me to keep this so called retro bike which I actually bought for someone else. But RX does pull invisible strings in heart and makes the process of logical decision making very very difficult.

So my take is, if you don't feel good when looking or starting or riding the bike, Sell it pronto! Don't let nostalgia confuse you. Let your current feelings take over! You can always find another in the market (even if the price is unreasonable).

But if riding your RX 135 makes you feel special, makes you feel 'alive' ,
Keep it and Cherish it. No matter what the circumstances!

You'll never regret it. At least it will make a small collector out of you down the line. And you will appreciate it more once you have a modern workhorse bike in your garage.
Attached Thumbnails
What should I do with my Yamaha RX135?-img_20190926_121100.jpg  

sreeJiva is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th December 2020, 00:24   #39
BHPian

Keep it if finance permits. I have 97 RXG all original, i was offered 70k about few years ago but decided to keep it because 2 stroke bikes are dying breed. It is such a simple machine, makes you feel connected to the road Yes it may not keep up with newer hi tech bikes but riding a 2 stroke engine is completely different experience, pure man machine connect moment for me. I gave my bike to a cousin and just seeing his joy, hearing stories of his friends being jealous of him because he rides a RXG has made it worthwhile. So keep it and enjoy.

Last edited by ScorpWarp : 20th December 2020 at 00:32.
ScorpWarp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2020, 00:59   #40
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

In todays world the Yamaha RX/RD series are a classic /cult motorcycle. when you have lived lons enough with them, at one point you will tend to ask yourself - Do I keep it or do I sell it? Happened to me twice - with my Yamaha RX-Z in 2000 and with my 87 RX100 in 2012. And in both instances I sold them. November 2020 - I have been using the RX since the last 5 years. Believe me or not - it's the perfect city motorcycle. Good pickup, peppy engine - got to love that.

I almost reached a stage last month wherein I decided to sell the Rx and get myself a good scooter or a Hero Expulse. But I also thought about the 2 decisions I had made years ago and still regret. And I did not want to orugreer another bad decision a few years down the line. so I have now decided to keep it , get it back to stock and then use her only occasionally.

I would suggest you to re-think towards keeping it. Remember , it's not easyto get hold of a good Yamaha RX. If you have even 1% emotion attached to it - then keep it. I would suggest you still go aneed with a bigger 350 cc motorcycle - but not at the cost of the Yamaha RX.
v12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2020, 03:48   #41
BHPian

The emotional quotient is something that makes any automobile priceless. Would firmly suggest retaining the RX whether it would make financial sense now or later as these motorcycles are bound to increase in value should the current sentiment and trend towards 2-strokes prevail.

I too have an RX at home. I'm the second owner(well, at the time of purchase it was my mum) and had it since 2005. Several color changes, engine overhauls, silencer upgrades and a couple of close calls later she still resides in the garage as a time machine that takes me back to my higher secondary days with many many fond memories.
She still purrs like a kitten and screams bloody murder when you give her the beans!
Capt.Arun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2020, 06:03   #42
BHPian

Keep it!

If have you a spare corner or a shed around your house then just cover it and let it rest now. It has served you for a good 15 years and I am sure you two must have made a lot of memories together. In the end life becomes nothing but a collection of memories.

I am pretty sure a day will come when you would want to bring that thing back to life again not out of necessity but because you would want to relive the good ol' days.

Keep it as a retirement hobby for God's sake but don't let it go.

P.s.- I don't know how old you are but had you been my buddy I'd have advised you to get rid of that extra flab and not the Yamaha.

Last edited by Malhi : 20th December 2020 at 06:08.
Malhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2020, 09:07   #43
BHPian

Like many have suggested, RESTORE & KEEP IT

I did the same with my 1982 Bajaj Super, restored it ground up some 10 years back, and kept it nicely in a corner of the house.
Vinod_nair is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2020, 12:08   #44
BHPian

Oh God. What a coincidence! We both sail in the same boat. I own a RX135 and was in same Dilemma. After going through the thread it reaffirms my faith that my bike is not just a bike but it is part of my family. If I sell it then I will end up with an inconsolable regret.

I decided to keep the bike. Currently my bike is in Chennai, I will bring it to my native and ask my brother in law to take care of it. Our family members are Yamaha RX fanatics. So she will be with me forever.

Q: What made me to change my mind?
A: Our Team-bhp member SreeJiva's picture with his kid and bike.

Yes. It brought back lot of memories. My son usually sit on the petrol tank of the bike and we go for short rides. And also one in a billion coincidence, my Aadhaar number is same as my bike number. We are made for each other.

RX forever.

Thanks,
Torqueknight
TorqueKnight is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th December 2020, 20:49   #45
BHPian

Though well passed the 15 yr mark...still never looses to impress ..got my RX135 out after about 3-4 years and got it serviced today itself...the end result is
Attached Thumbnails
What should I do with my Yamaha RX135?-img_20201220_135338.jpg  

sacrust is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks