Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2021, 21:29   #1
Senior - BHPian

The Suzuki Access 125 thread

Intent:

Creating this thread to capture all the experiences we have to share on the Suzuki Access 125 in a single thread. It is not intended to be a review/ownership review but just sharing experiences, tricks, tips and hacks. Notwithstanding the issues faced and their solutions.

Reason:

While looking or some specific info on some issues I had to scour through multiple threads but none were dedicated to the topic. Finally ended up in that mammoth gearless scooter thread and saw the post by the mods to create specific thread for each important scooter. So here is one for the Access.

Here are some of the popular threads which capture the purchase and ownership experiences quite well :

Here is one about a specific issue : by shancz

Last edited by Aditya : 3rd March 2023 at 22:22. Reason: As requested
shancz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th April 2021, 21:37   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Suzuki Access 125 thread

Thanks Shancz!

Has anyone done anything to improve the ride quality? I always get a back pain after riding for 10+ kms. The suspension is stiffer than I thought.

Otherwise, a wolf in sheeps clothing!

Last edited by Turbohead : 10th April 2021 at 21:52.
Turbohead is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 10th April 2021, 21:51   #3
Senior - BHPian

Not really, during solo rides the rear suspension is stiff but magically transforms with a pillion on board.

Rightly said, wolf in sheep's clothing

PS :
1. Gabriel makes suspension for both the Activa and the Access. I have found the Activa's rear suspension to be softer. Try checking if that is compatible with the Access.

2. Older Swish and Access shared suspension I think. Swish has a softer rear unit for sure. That is also an option provided it fits in the new Access assuming that you have the newer model.

I think we can get a solution exploring on similar lines. FNG guys mentioned that some parts of the Activa and Hero were the same so they used the Hero ones as they were cheaper and without any issues. Suzuki they aren't very familiar with, they have issues in sourcing spares.

Some links for the suspensions, Credits to providers:
The links are just for reference, if compatible get the spares from their workshops or local shops.

- Gabriel : Activa

- Gabriel : Access

- Gabriel : Swish/Access

Last edited by shancz : 10th April 2021 at 22:09. Reason: ps
Old 10th April 2021, 21:57   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
Thanks Shancz!

Has anyone done anything to improve the ride quality? I always get a back pain after riding for 10+ kms. The suspension is stiffer than I thought.

Otherwise, a wolf in sheeps clothing!
When I ride alone, I move myself as far back as possible and this seems to put some additional load on the rear suspension and the ride quality improves slightly. It also makes me sit in a more upright position and helps reduce back pain. Maybe you can try that.
nagr22 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th April 2021, 22:59   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
I stumbled upon a video where a guy has fitted Wego/Jupiter's rear shock on the Access and tried it for 500kms. He said the road shocks are down by 30% but the shocker is slightly longer than the original so the gap between the rear wheel appears a bit raised when lifted up.

Check it out (Credits to Providers) :

Similar approach can also be tried with the new/older Activa's and Swish's suspension as well.

But I would guess that the dynamics might be affected but if comfort is the priority then worth a shot IMO.
Check with some FNGs around if they have done something like this or if they have any Activa's suspension lying around for comparison.

Last edited by shancz : 10th April 2021 at 23:01. Reason: grammar
Old 11th April 2021, 20:20   #6
Senior - BHPian

Engine oil Upgrade : From Suzuki-Ecstar 10W30 (R5000 I guess) to Castrol Power1 Ultimate 5W40

Reason :
My usage is probably one of the worst for a scooter. Typical use case being the scooter lying cold for 2-3 days then a 2-3 km morning run to the grocery and then idle for 1-2 days then one fine day its driven non stop for 30-40 kms including heavy traffic and fast roads. During the cold runs the engine felt rough(understandably) and during the end of heavy runs it felt a bit rough(not as rough as cold) too due to the heat. The Ecstar oil degraded pretty early too.
Felt bad for the engine and what it had to go through so decided to try out the Power1 Ultimate assuming the 5W would help in the cold runs and the 40 would help in the hot runs.

Risk :
Using a lower W grade could have been a risk if the engine wouldn't be able to handle the lower W(5W over 10W) but this is the newer SEP engine and I thought it should be able to handle the lower grade. But it was a risk no doubt.

Process :
The MRP was Rs.474 got it from Flipkart at Rs.410 for 800ml.
Got it changed at a FNG since the Suzuki Workshop doesn't allow anything from outside.

Experience :
The Expected :
- The cold runs roughness is almost gone.
- The hot runs roughness is gone.

The Unexpected :
- How free the engine feels now. At 60-65kph its butter smooth. No perceptible roughness even at high rpms, of course the vibes increase but the engine just revs through.
- FE has increased by 4-5kmpl. I have done one FE test which returned 45+kmpl while under similar circumstances I would have been happy if it returned 40 earlier. Will do more and update.

Conclusion :
It was a worthy upgrade. I am not stepping back from fully synthetic oils. The benefits outweigh the costs IMO. But moving away from the manufacturer's recommendation is always a risk and won't advice if you are still under warranty.

Notes :
- Have covered about 150kms since the change, will see how it holds up over time. Since my running is quite low it will take some time.
- First came across this idea after watching a video on YouTube, check it out, Credits to Providers :
shancz is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th April 2021, 21:03   #7
Senior - BHPian

I have the First gen Suzuki access 125 (2011). Mainly used to get around in the city and do chores or quick runs. Recently I have noticed that while there is no accelerator input (large corners/ going down a slope/ slowing down) the engine tends to switch off. Could it be just the battery or is this a known issue ? The scooter starts fine and lights also work without any issue.
Old 11th April 2021, 23:02   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackDay View Post
I have noticed that while there is no accelerator input (large corners/ going down a slope/ slowing down) the engine tends to switch off. Could it be just the battery or is this a known issue ? The scooter starts fine and lights also work without any issue.
I don't think its the battery else you would've starting issues. Seems like an issue with with fuel/air intake.
Get the following checked :
- air filter
- carb settings, clean if needed
- spark plug

Also if you accelerate hard does it misfire ?
I had an Activa 1st gen earlier and had the misfiring and stall at low rpm issue which got worse, eventually turned out to be an issue with the valves. This was after 50k kms and 5 years.

Last edited by shancz : 11th April 2021 at 23:03.
shancz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2021, 10:22   #9
BHPian

My 2011 suzuki access recently started showing some jerky behaviour when I tried to go above 50kmph.
I realised once I opened the carburettor that it had never been ever cleaned by the company although I have been charged for it. I cleaned it myself throughly and re installed it.Its quite a bit of tight space and needs some good patience to do the job properly.
Post cleaning it Starts on a single crank and idles perfect. The amount of crap that came out of the carb was worth a shock for sure.
scorpian is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2021, 17:55   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpian View Post
I cleaned it myself throughly and re installed it.Its quite a bit of tight space and needs some good patience to do the job properly.
Thanks for sharing will keep that in mind in case I encounter it. Guessing a similar behaviour would surface if the injectors are clogged for FI folks.

I have lost trust in dealer workshops doing what they charge for long ago. FNGs work for me and if there's something which cannot be done at the FNG, then the dealer's workshop but under supervision.

Last edited by shancz : 2nd July 2021 at 17:58. Reason: grammar
Old 2nd April 2022, 00:07   #11
BHPian

I hope this is the right thread to ask this question. Apologies in advance if it isn’t.

I bought my access in 2018 and I’ve barely clocked 4K kms on it. It has remained unused/not started since October 2020, in a covered parking lot in Pune.

I need to go to Pune next month with WFH ending. What is the standard operating procedure to get this vehicle started again?

I’m assuming the tyres are already deflated and I don’t remember if I even put it on center stand (not sure if it matters). I’m also assuming that the batteries are dead. I’m not even sure how I can get it to the authorized service center in the current state of my vehicle. Any tips/suggestions please?

Edit:

Also, if you could give me a ballpark number on what it would cost to get the vehicle back up and running, that would be helpful.

Last edited by pandey.jai : 2nd April 2022 at 00:12. Reason: Added text
pandey.jai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2022, 12:24   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandey.jai View Post
how I can get it to the authorized service center in the current state of my vehicle. Any tips/suggestions please?
Call the ASC and ask for a tow to the workshop. Even if they don't have the facility with them they can provide a contact.

I was in a similar situation in Pune with my RTR and IIRC(since a friend had got it towed) the workshop gave a contact. Either way it was a small goods carrier Tata Ace type of vehicle and the bike was pushed on to it using planks.
My cost was the service + battery and I had an overdue change of brake discs and pads which weren't related to the parking. Tyres were already old but didn't need immediate replacement due to the parking.

In your case expect usual servicing costs and consumables plus battery, tyres have to be checked. If everything else is fine expect a ₹2k cost or ₹5k if both tyres need replacement, approximately.

Just ask the service center to do a thorough service including carburettor, air filter cleaning (assuming yours is a BS4 version). If possible try the semi synthetic oil(Ecstar R9000) if available over the mineral oil(R5000).
If the tyres might need replacing in the next 4-5k kms or if you see cracks after inflating then change them now.

Also if interested you can get the tyres inflated, put it on main stand and start it using the kick and choke. If it starts, ride it to the workshop.
Goes without saying if anything feels different/weird then get it towed.

Keep us posted.

Last edited by shancz : 2nd April 2022 at 12:26. Reason: typos
shancz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2022, 18:29   #13
BHPian

I have a question to fellow Access 125 owners, how long does the air filter last? I service my scooter every 6 months from suzuki ASS and my running has been super low since last 2 years - approx 800 km per year. I have been observing that since the past 4 services, they have changed air filter every time. It's a cheap part costing ~230Rs so I never bothered about it. Today I serviced my scooter again and once again I got a call claiming that the air filter is kaput and asking me to authorize replacement. I told him it was changed just 350km/6 months ago and he still held on to his claim saying it has reached its end of life. So I authorized him to change it but this time I asked him to share the old filter with me. I am attaching the photo below:
The Suzuki Access 125 thread-20220423_182134.jpg

Can experienced folks tell me if it is really kaput or am I being taken for a ride? If it is indeed gone, isn't it too early? Could some other issue in the air intake path cause the filter to go bad soon?
nagr22 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2022, 19:29   #14
Senior - BHPian

Which version/model year of Access is this, looks like BS4/2nd gen.
First check your manual since mine (BS4/2017) says clean. No mention of replacement if its the foam type. Although my ASC said that they look for damage/deformation in order to replace it or 15k kms (I don't recollect clearly).

My running is slightly more than yours but this looks way older than 350kms.
Look at it this way, would they change the air filter on a scooter which has come in for its first service at 350-400kms ?

IIRC my filter looked like that during last service but they just cleaned it and I don't think they've changed the air filter till date but I am sure they haven't changed it in the last 3 years/7000kms.

Last edited by shancz : 23rd April 2022 at 19:41. Reason: added info
shancz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2022, 23:10   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shancz View Post
IIRC my filter looked like that during last service but they just cleaned it and I don't think they've changed the air filter till date but I am sure they haven't changed it in the last 3 years/7000kms.
Thanks shancz! Had a chat with an FNG and he too confirmed that I've been cheated all along about air filter. I have decided to never take the scooter to that service center again!

Yesterday I figured out that the low beam headlamp has stopped working. I guess its due to it being always on whenever the scooter is started (mine is 2017 BS4 model). I am planning to upgrade to LED headlight this time. After some research online I learnt that the bulb is H4 type and the recommended wattage is 20W. Is this correct? I am unable to find any bulb in this specification in flipkart and Amazon. Can someone suggest a good quality LED headlamp compatible with Access?
nagr22 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks